Birth Stories

Pooping during delivery??

I hope I'm not the only one that is kinda freaked out about this...I just read Belly Laughs.  It talked about pooping during delivery.  Is this something that can happen?  I guess I never really thought about it until I read that.  I'm kinda freaked out about it now!  Hope this isn't to personal for anyone but does this really happen? 

Re: Pooping during delivery??

• yes, it happens a lot. My friend who is an L+D nurse says it happens most of the time.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Happens.  Not pretty, but at the time...no one cares.  Don't let yourself obsess about it.  There's nothing that you can really do about it when it does happen.  Embarrassed
  • Loading the player...
  • Oh yes, in fact, it happens most of the time.  That's why I opted for the enema prior to delivery.  And it STILL tried to happen even after that!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Almost everyone gets freaked out by this.  It happens most of the time because the "urge to push" feels kind of like constipation and you are using a lot of the same muscles to push the baby out as you use to poop.  Basically, if there is anything in there, it is going to come out in order to give the baby more room in the birth canal.

You are not going to notice if you do poop and probably won't even care enough at the time to think about it.  I told DH not to tell me if I did (because that is totally something he would make fun of me for later), and left it at that.  I have no idea if I did or didn't.

• You absolutely will not care or likely even notice if this happens, trust me!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Alot of people go through a natural "cleansing" period during early labor when your body emties out. Some vomit and some just poop alot. But even if you poop on the table you won't notice at the time and a nurse is there to take it away as soon as it happens.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I chose to have the enema.  That way, I wasn't worried as much that it would happen.
  • i just heard a birth story this weekend, and the mom pooped 9 times (!) during the pushing.  she just thought it was hilarious...i mean, what can you do other than laugh?!?
  • Don't worry, when the time comes you won't care. But if it makes you feel better this time I didn't. Of course I didn't push long.

I did poo with my DD. I didn't even know until my DH told me later.

My two PCOS miracles! Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • This freaks me out. My husband is scared enough to be in the delivery room but now he's going to see me poop? That's gross.

I will say, I saw it happen on a "reality show" just as the baby was coming out. Everyone in the room yelled "whoa!!!!" Was it for the kid or the projectile poop?!?

~distressed

• Heck yes you will poop. I don't really understand why everyone is so worried about this....

I pooped all through labor, I made sure I got up and used the bathroom a lot (part of that was because I didn't want to be hooked up to the machines all the time), and my DH was in the bathroom with me the whole time. At home, I won't even let him be in bathroom while I pee, but during labor is a whole other story.

Even though I was pretty much cleaned out by the time I started pushing, I still pooped. Not a big deal. The nurses cleaned it up as soon as it happened. There are much more important things to be thinking about than if the doctors, nurses, or DH will see you poop.

• Yes it does happen.  Most people will say that when you're pushing you won't even care, I cared.  I must admit, I did very controlled pushing to try not to poop.  I know the docs and nurses see it all of the time, but they didnt' need to see it from me, nor did DH, my mom, or my MIL who were all in there.  GL.

GSx1 - 05/13/2013
    GSx2 for T&B - EDD 6/21/2015 - They're having a GIRL!

babybaby
    BabyGaga
  • I thought I set a world record for it! ?I knew it was going to happen because I kept telling the nurses that I had to poop. ?I had an epi so they just thought I was getting ready to have the baby. ?I kept telling them that I had to go to the bathroom. ?I pushed for 2 hours before c-sec and I pooped through most of the pushing and it sucked. ?DH says it's burned into his brain. ?Oh well, he still loves me and is still attracted to me. ?He got over it. ?
  • I was embarrassed to poo during delivery partially because, well, it is gross but mainly because my OB/GYN is a very close family friend.  When I was in triage I asked for an enema and the nurse looked at me like I was nuts.  She said that pooing on the table was not something they even notice.  She was right!  Trust me, when the moment comes the only thing on your mind will be meeting your little one!  If you do go poo, nobody says anything, nobody makes a fuss, nobody cares.  If your hubby makes a disparaging remark, tell him that his comment is not appropriate and he should be grateful for what you just went through to give him a child.

• Trust me, at the time, your not going to care.Big Smile
  • Yes it can happen and you may notice. I could feel it and it smelled. It was terrible at first but then I stopped caring
  • I'm and L&D nurse and yes, it does happen, not always but often. Actually if someone poops, I know she' pushing effectively. And I always tell my patients that the head is going to push everything out anyway. We (healthcare professionals) don't care & try to clean it up quickly & without drawing attention to it (I really try to not even let the mom know if poss). I've seen a dad or two make a face but they seem to forget once the baby comes out. There is really nothing you can do and you won't push effectively if you try to avoid it. So just go with it. It's only the start of the immodesty to follow. AFter giving birth twice, I really did not care at the moment of delivery who saw what - I just wanted the baby out!!
  • i pooped and didnt care at all....

~after 34 cycles we finally got our 2nd little bundle of joy~
    My IF blog

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"