August 2023 Moms
Options

Baby Names Thread

This is the place to bounce around name ideas! 

Re: Baby Names Thread

• Options
    @BumpAdmin sticky please!
  • Options
    Naming our first was easy (I have always loved this name for a girl, I like that to. Done) but I also didn’t think we would have a second so I have no clue for this baby. Maybe once we know the gender it will be easier 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    So excited for this! 
    My top boy name is Frederick and I have no idea why. Also like Sean. But I’m not in love with any boy names so I really hope it’s a girl for that reason lol. 
    For girls we’re thinking Grace or Alice. And I’m waiting on DH to confirm whether he likes Valerie (I do). 
  • Options
    I have middle names for either, but not sure about first names. Boy middle name is Oakley and girl is Marian (spelling not set yet). 

Top girl first name choice is Delphine, but SO says he doesn’t like it as much now. He prefers Beverly. For boys… I can’t come up with anything better than Theodore, but I don’t love that. I like it only really because of the nickname versatility as our child would grow. DS is Benjamin for same reason and it took a really long time for that name to grow on me. 
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    My oldest just asked me this last night. I think I’m going to save my energy and thoughts for when we find out. 😂 Right now for boy my top is Max and girl top is Lydia. It’s going to change I’m sure. We used family names for middle names so I have no idea for this one. 
    Dx: Non-IR PCOS
    Baby Girl K #1 Born 3/8/14
    Baby Girl K #2 EDD 3/3/19
  • Options
    For boys names I was leaning towards Theodore as well, although my SO doesn’t like the nicknames for him (Ted, Theo). I would prefer something with 3 syllables bc I hated that my name was so simple growing up (LISA). My SO is Gregory and he’s not fond of his name. He already has a 17 year old son named Cameron. 

My SO loves the name Eleanor for a girl. It was his beloved grandmothers name who raised him. I love it too but I always said if I had a girl I would name her Catalina since I have sisters Kathy, Natalie, and Tina which would be a nice play on their names. But Eleanor is a very sweet name. 

Haven’t gotten to the middle name part yet but definitely will have one since I don’t have a middle name. 
  • Options
    @lmn823 have you thought of Catalina as a middle name, or would Eleanor Catalina be too many syllables. My girls middle name idea is similar- based off my sisters middle names (and everyone’s “family name”) of Marie and Ann. But I haven’t had a girl yet to use it. 
  • Options
    @tumbleweed-1 yes I thought of it. My SO is not a fan bc of now tooooo many syllables lol he said it doesn’t go together smoothly. I agree with him. Still have until august to decide so hopefully we can come up with ideas or have a boy lol 
  • Options
    @lmn823 Eleanor is also my grandmother’s name! Have you thought of Nora as a way to honor without using the same name, although Nora is quite popular so not sure if that is something you care about? 
  • Options
    @ccmrc143 I’m open to a variation of names. Nora was the name of one of my cabbage patch kids 😂 
  • Options
    We had 3 girl names when we went in with my daughter and of the 2 remaining, one is out because it doesn't sound great with my daughter's name. The other one is Lenora June, probably with a nn of Nora, but I'm not a huge nn fan so I don't know if I should just stick with Nora June? 

Boys, similar scenario. We don't like the way our one boy name sounded with our daughter's so I'm a blank slate there.

Her name is Mina Katherine, which I love, but struggling for names to go with it!
  • Options
    @lmn823 what if you flip-flopped them? Catalina Eleanor sort of rolls, where Eleanor Catalina has more of a hard stop in the middle.

Also since we watched The Rings of Power I flipping love the name Nori but maybe you don't want a hobbit and/or sushi name.
  • Options
    I can’t even think about names until I know the gender. I’m hoping for a another girl because it would even us out with the kids we still have living at home. I love the name Alice but DH has never been a fan. So who knows. Boys are so hard for us to name. I went through thousands of names last time and maybe found 3 or 4 I liked at all. I don’t like nn so any name that is easily shortened is out for me. Even with that rule I have had people try to shorten my kids names. I actually had to change churches because the people in the preschool room wouldn’t stop calling my youngest daughter by a nn. It bothered me really bad and they wouldn’t stop no matter how many times I told them to. 
  • Options
    @emeraldcity603 the worst part of team green is the names! I always tell people that haha. I love everything else about it.
  • Options
    @msjaay figure out names is the only reason we find out. I think it’s super impressive some people can wait for birth. I need more time to prepare lol
  • Options
    @tumbleweed-1 I felt pretty prepared! For clothing, I just buy neutral in NB and 0-3 and I'm really glad I didn't buy ahead with my daughter b/c she was so small. All of her clothes would've been out of season if I would've bought all of this cute girl stuff! I think bows were the only thing I immediately stocked up on. Gave me something to do during those middle of the night feedings lol.
  • Options
    My SO and I decided that we will wait to find out the sex since its our first child together. My sister just had a boy last year so I’m cool with taking her hand me downs even if the clothes are more boyish. As long as everything isn’t yellow I’m ok with that lol 
  • Options
    Boy names are so much harder for me than girl names, especially as a teacher. It’s hard not to associate certain names with certain students. We haven’t really talked extensively about names yet. Once we know the sex, the conversation will ramp up. DD is convinced she’s getting a baby sister and wants us to name her Doc (as in Doc McStuffins 😂)
  • Options
    I have a running list but I struggle with girls names, boys no issue😂 I have so far been either shot down by SO on the names I like or people around me keep having babies and naming them names on my list😅 I don’t think we’ll take it seriously until we know if it’s a boy or girl.
  • Options
    We’ve been tossing around a number of boy names, my biggest issue is making sure that it sounds good with our other three boys. I really like Cian and Ciaran. We have a single syllable surname, so whatever we go with for a first sounds better two or three syllables.
  • Options
    @justyouraveragemama so many of our previous boys names have now been used up by friends or we’ve met new friends with those names now that the kids are in school 🤣 it’s much easier naming babies in a vacuum. 
  • Options
    My SO really likes Isaiah for a boy name, I don’t dislike it but I’m struggling to image calling a baby or toddler such a formal name and I can’t think of cute nicknames. All I have is Zay which I also don’t love. 
  • Options
    @lizdiane456 Izzy? There was a kid who I went to high school with that went by Izzy instead
  • Options
    I like Isaiah! Similarly a friend just named their baby Isaac. That doesn’t help the nn problem much though. 

I’ve been on a “last name as first name” kick for boys. Sullivan, Foster, Wallace, Murray, Murphy, Deacon. I have no idea why. DH is hard vetoing all of them I just like talking about it :) I also like Cyrus lately but DS is Simon which would be too similar with the “SI” sound. 

We’ll get NIPT and scan on Feb 3. I’m still so scared to find out for a number of reasons, one of which is that I won’t be able to play around with two name lists haha. 
  • Options
    @ccmrc143 for years I wanted my boy middle name to be McGarry after Leo McGarry on West Wing. But then my husband had to coach against a dbag from Michigan with that name (granted, last name, and maybe he's nice off the court but on it he was annoying) and it got added to the veto list. Still love West Wing though.
  • Options
    I really like the name Isaiah. It’s a great name that grows well into adulthood.  
  • Options
    How do you guys keep track of your name lists? App you use or just regular list? Starting completely from scratch here and it feels overwhelming to keep track of everything, especially since DH really doesn’t want to find out so we will be working with two name lists ;)
  • Options
    @cherrystorming nothing fancy over here. We have a shared note in the Notes app on our phones and just add to it when a name comes up.
  • Options
    Okay…throwing this out there to see what people’s thoughts are. I don’t have an official name list…this is just me dangling a name out for opinions. What do you think of Kailin Arya?
  • Options
    @amydawn09 Arya is the best GOT character so I’m a fan lol 
  • Options
    @amydawn09 Arya is my daughter’s name ❤️
  • Options
    So far DH has asked about using Lorraine for a middle name for a girl (family name). I vetoed it last time, I’m vetoing it again! His boy name suggestion was Russel Keith. Russel makes me think of a little kid who has a mullet and Keith is my ex’s name. 🤦🏻‍♀️ I still think Charlie would be a good name, if we are sticking with family names. Charles has been passed down three generations and my brother had all girls, so it stopped with him…so far. 
  • Options
    @novelblessings random but apparently mullets are in here in Alaska. All the little boys are wearing them. Not mine because gross!!!
  • Options
    Mullets are back. My nephew is 16 and all his school mates have the mullet and a cross earring lol 
  • Options
    God help us. If they're in currently in NYC we'll get them here in 2-3 years. NO THANK YOU.
  • Options
    @emeraldcity603 I will say I’ve seen a couple around but I didn’t think they were cute back then, I don’t think they are cute now! 
  • Options
    And all the girls are rocking the “wolf cut” like the mullet for girls