Babies: 3 - 6 Months
Options

Sleep regression and regrets

Hear me out… I love my son with all my heart, but he’s almost 4 months old and going through such a major sleep regression that at times I wish we didn’t have a baby. I need some real tips and help.

We’ve been trying to keep a consistent schedule at bedtime (bath, pjs, book, and bottle) but he’ll only sleep for 7-8 hours a night because he’s up and down. His bed time isn’t the time I would like it to be because we’re having to do longer naps in the day to make up for his lack of sleep at night. He’s up every 2-3 hours and has only ever slept thru the night once. He’s BF except for 1 4 oz bottle of formula before bed. I don’t know what to do because he wakes up and wants to feed every time he wakes up and I’m mentally and physically exhausted. I hate being mad about waking up, and I hate sitting here crying every night wishing I didn’t have to go through this. Please help!!

Re: Sleep regression and regrets

• Options
    Will he only take 4oz before bed and then gets full? My son will be 4 months on Aug 13 and I’ve noticed the last 2-3 weeks he has increased the oz he is eating from the bottle. I found that if he had a good 6-7oz before bed he would sleep almost all night long because he stayed full. Also, have you worked with your son on falling asleep independently? Once my son got better with that I found that he was able to soothe himself back to sleep in the middle of the night 
  • Options
    My baby is almost 6 months and I am going through the same thing. I met a mom at a party a couple weeks ago with a 20 month old and she said her son STILL does it. Im a single working mom so I feel like Im scraping on the ocean floor of sleep deprivation lightly high fiving with death. Haha! I think it is a breast feeding thing. They have shorter sleep cycles than us so when they wake up they want to be soothed by the breast back to sleep. Some nights my nipple barely touches my babies lips and she is back to sleep. The only real solution Ive seen is sleep training but I don't want to do it because even though Im exhausted the frequent night feeds keep my milk supply strong. good luck mama and remember Im right there with you  
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My little one is around the same age and is going through a sleep regression. Apparently around this time they are transitioning into more of an adult sleep cycle so they are going to wake up every cycle (1-2 hours) . More information about this is in The Wonder Weeks book and app. I noticed that encouraging independent sleep can help. I have been working on it for awhile and she keeps getting better and I find her waking up and putting herself back to sleep in middle of night sometimes... Also, if it hasn't been that long since a feed try putting back to sleep without one. Keep pushing his sleep a little longer, might help? You got this mama!