March 2023 Moms

Great Big Questions Thread--August

bbrahmbhattbbrahmbhatt member
edited August 2022 in March 2023 Moms
What questions or concerns do you have?

Re: Great Big Questions Thread--August

• Would anyone be interested in a thread for new vehicle purchases? If it’s just me then I’ll just ask for recommendations here. 
  • Does anyone here have hyperemesis gravidarum? And if so, how do you manage going to work? Is it even possible? I am struggling and have had to call out sick for. 1.5 weeks already. I’m currently on Phenergan and it’s helping but I’m still not able to eat a normal amount and there’s s no way I could drive while on this medication. I’ve had a few IVs at the hospital to replenish fluids too. How do people work like this??
  • Loading the player...
  • Hmm thought I changed my name to Bengalbb but it doesn’t appear to have worked
  • I have my first prenatal appointment at 13 weeks. Is that too late? The reason it is so late is because the OBGYN I like is on call the week before and has limited availability.
  • I have my first prenatal appointment at 13 weeks. Is that too late? The reason it is so late is because the OBGYN I like is on call the week before and has limited availability.
    What did your office say when you made the appointment? I’m sure if it wasn’t ok by them they would have said so (unless you made the appointment online in which case I would call and ask). That being said, I think you can still get NIPT testing but would be on the edge for NT scan. If you want prenatal genetic risk screening sooner you may want to try to move it up. 
  • Thank you. I relentlessly asked for an earlier date and got moved up by a week, so my appointment is now at 12 weeks. I've heard 10-13 weeks is the timeline for NT, is that accurate?
  • Has anyone tested positive for Covid while being pregnant ? I just tested positive and am of course freaking out. Every time I cough or sneeze I get a cramp. 
  • @babymac4321
    im currently getting over COVID right now. It sucked the little bit of energy I did have so I couldn’t really get out of bed for a few days.. but I didn’t have it very bad. I was told to watch out for a high fever or trouble breathing. Which didn’t happen. Just keep hydrated, eat what you can and rest. ❤️
    I have a lingering cough now but I’m feeling back to my low energy- all day nauseous- pregnant self. 😅
  • Probably should ask this here 

For the moms that went from working to SAH, how did you do it? Pros/cons?
  • @gravcass what aspects are you asking about? Financially, emotionally, schedule?

I've been a Sahm for 12yrs. It hasn't always been easy but it's definitely been worth it for our family and I am soo incredibly thankful that I've been able to. 

Pros: it was better for us financially. Daycare is expensive especially for as many kids as we have. There's no need for one of us to take off work if anything comes up. And tbh, I'm kind of a crazy Momma Bear but so not really, so I like knowing what my kids are doing and who they are around at all times and don't trust really anyone so it gives us peace of mind. I'm also so grateful that I am able to be there for every milestone!!! And truthfully, even though they drive me crazy, I just generally LOVE being around my kids. 

Cons: it's can be a mind-numbing thankless job. You can lose yourself and sanity very easily if you aren't careful. Society also seems to look down on it which can be a mindfvck too. There's also times we have hit some financial issues which makes me feel guilty for not "contributing" even though I know it would cost us much more if I worked and those troubles are just temporary. 
    Wife. Boy mom x6. Expecting #7. Wannabe homesteader.
    , 💙💙💙💙💙💙
  • @gravcass I became a SAHM when my first was born in 2018. I just picked a date before my due date as my last day, and let them know I wouldn’t be returning (which can be important if your work offers top up/mat leave benefits - usually if you don’t return you have to repay them). 

We spent my whole first pregnancy living just off of my husbands income, to “practise” being on a single income and to also save a good emergency fund in case something happened. It was a great way to adjust our spending. 

Echoing @nopegoat that it definitely isn’t all sunshine and rainbows and can feel very lonely at times, especially when you have one kid (rather than a newborn and an older sibling) since there’s lots of downtime and no one to talk to. Join as many mom groups/activities as you can to keep yourself sane! 
  • Thanks for the input. I've been toying with the idea. My main setback I think is judgement. I don't know of anyone in my circle that would be supportive. 
    I also worry about the financial aspects. 
  • @nopegoat thanks for all the input and suggestions!it would certainly be an adjustment but one that I think would be best for our family. 
  • For anyone taking B6/unisom, does anyone take it just at night, and how long does it last throughout the day? I’m thinking I need to bite the bullet because I feel crappy. I’m not vomiting but I am tired of the constant nausea. Taking it during the day at work isn’t an option for me. 

• @Wishilivedinflorida - here’s what I got from my OB regarding unison/B6. 
  • Thanks @burr1371. My OB has a similar recommendation.  I definitely can’t handle unisom during the day so looking to see if anyone has had good results taking it only at night. 
  • @Wishilivedinflorida
    i am taking it and if I take it consistently (2X at night and 1 in the morning) I feel better ish but it’s not a cure of course. I’ve yet to find anything that helps except pickles and gingerale which is causing me to lose too much weight now according to my dr. But if I take more of the medication, I’m too exhausted for my day. It’s a damn rock and hard place situation 
  • @babymac4321 I took half a tab before bed and I felt stoned until about 10 am. Not going to be a solution for me. 😭😭😭
  • @Wishilivedinflorida I can't do unisom and B6 and most other nausea meds either because they knock me on my butt so badly. It sucks just suffering through it but I have to be at least semi conscious. Usually it starts easing up around 16-17wks. Counting down the days!!!  😅😭
    , 💙💙💙💙💙💙
  • @nopegoat I have never had this constant nausea. Unless I’m eating or drinking, which I can’t do continuously, I’m nauseated. It sucks. If I recall my previous more mild MS ended around week 11 or so. Here’s hoping it’s not much longer for the both of us. 
  • @Wishilivedinflorida - You can try a different type of antihistamine if Unisom was too strong for you.
  • Is it too early to buy new bras? I've gone up at least half a cup size, but I don't want to be buying new bras every month 😅
  • @auriculatus - I bought some nursing/maternity bras from amazon during the beginning of my first pregnancy and I still wear them today. They have definitely lasted.
  • @auriculatus I purchased a new bra already. I realized very quickly last pregnancy that it's not worth waiting to buy new clothes if your uncomfortable.
  • @miss_lynn9 @burr1371 Okay you both convinced me, definitely gonna go this weekend to get some new bras. 😅 
  • @auriculatus I’d recommend getting nursing bras! They are more forgiving with fluctuations in size and will come in handy later! 
  • @auriculatus I bought a new nursing bra from Kohl's when I was only 5 weeks 😂 any excuse to switch from uncomfortable regular bras to nursing ones. They're so much more comfortable 
    Ladybug - April 2013
    Dandelion - October 2018
    Angel "Aurora" - July 2020
    Angel "Sawyer" - May 2021
    Angel "Maxine" - January 2022
    Angel "Violet" - March 2022
    Baby Dove due March 2023
  • @auriculatus I definitely switched into a nursing bra already! Regular bras are just too uncomfortable these days.
  • I've been living in these since my last baby was born last July. Extremely comfy and even though it's not a nursing bra, very easy to nurse in.  I did take out the pads though because they never felt right after washing them. 

, 💙💙💙💙💙💙
  • Please drop all your nursing bra suggestions! I wish I liked racerbacks but I find them uncomfortable so would love other suggestions.  I was small enough that several years ago I stopped wearing bras altogether, but around 7 weeks my boobs were getting too big and I bought two nursing bras from Kindred Bravely. They are super comfy but already getting pilly. I definitely need to get some others.
  • I also need suggestions. I have larger boobs and need support. I also can't stand the sports bra type ones that squish my boobs together. So uncomfortable 
  • Not a maternity/nursing bra but very comfy. I really dislike underwire bras so I recently started wearing Target - Auden brand seamless bralettes. $10/each. They’re kind of partway between a sports bra and a bralette and have regular straps - not racer back. Tons of different colors. I’m a fan - just need to go up a size now. It looks like that brand also has a bunch of nursing options too. 
  • @miss_lynn9 - I also have jugs, so sports bra/bralette aren't an option. I like the comfort of a nursing bra, but my boobs kind of sag in them, and I don't like the way they look in t-shirts. I just keep sizing up in my Soma's bras. I'm already in the DD/J range, so I need my underwires.
  • @marebear15 Ugh yes! My boobs look like saggy water balloons in most nursing bras haha. I'll check out Soma! I have a Knox bra but I hate the material. It gets sticky? When I get hot andhave boob sweat. And it doesn't dry quickly. So uncomfortable. 

Side note re boobs. I've been wanting a boob job for as long as I can remember. I only want 2 kids so I'm getting excited to be able to get one in a couple years. My boobs are very noticeably different sizes (which also makes bra shopping difficult) and with them being larger, I have issues with my shoulders and neck. I'll get a reduction, lift and make sure they're the same size. boob job here I come! Has anyone had one? 
  • @miss_lynn9 - haven’t had one but def getting the boobies sucked out and lifted after this baby. 
  • @marebear @miss_lynn9 also planning for a reduction + lift after I'm doing having babies. I'm a 38H at baseline, and go up to like a J when pregnant/BF. They look very saggy and sad post-BF, so they need to be back up to a more dignified height lol. 
  • I'm a 44H and I have been squeezing myself into this specific bra I got a few weeks ago:

https://m.kohls.com/product/prd-5280862/bravado-designs-body-silk-seamless-nursing-bra-1401vfc.jsp?prdPV=2&userPFM=non-search&diestoreid=129&selectShip=true

It's definitely more comfortable than my regular underwire bras. In fact, most days I'm lounging around my house in just this bra and some sweat pants 
    Ladybug - April 2013
    Dandelion - October 2018
    Angel "Aurora" - July 2020
    Angel "Sawyer" - May 2021
    Angel "Maxine" - January 2022
    Angel "Violet" - March 2022
    Baby Dove due March 2023
  • Is anyone planning a babymoon? I didn't do one with my first and I'm kind of regretting it.