January 2023 Moms
Options

Am I being too laid back about the spotting that's started today?

missmuisqmissmuisq member
edited May 2022 in January 2023 Moms
I'm 7 weeks today based on LMP but I think I'm a few days behind (late ovulation). Had a TV ultrasound yesterday and heard and saw baby's heartbeat. Doctor said it was a tad low (116 - said he would've expected it to be closer to 130 but told me NOT to worry, esp. considering that I'm probably not as far along as LMP would indicate). Said it was measuring fine. The doctor took the wand out and put it back in multiple times.

Today, I woke up to a bit of brown spotting when wiping for the first time, with a tad of pink/brownish-red up near my cervix. No flow at all. No pain or cramps. I assumed (and hope!) it's just cervical irritation from the US yesterday and decided to wait a day or two to see if it progresses.

Husband insisted I HAVE to call the doctor, so I texted their nurses' group. The nurse replied with what seemed like a cut-and-paste response to a question she probably receives every day, several times a day, from panicked moms-to-be that these are warning signs and that I should go to the ER. I feel like this is overkill. My attitude is that it's probably nothing, and if it is something, time will tell and there's nothing I can do about it in any event. Now my husband and I are fighting, with him viewing me as being bizarrely apathetic about this and possibly losing precious time.

If I get full bleeding or pain, I'll definitely go but am I really so crazy to hold off for a bit? I really try not to let anxiety get the better of me, because I know too well that so much is outside of my control and that anxiety just steals my joy from the present moment.

Of course, I completely understand why others would feel anxious and prefer to know ASAP what's going on, either way! But am I so odd in preferring to assume the best and trying to avoid unnecessary ER visits? Is anyone else kind of laid-back about these things? Or am I mistaken and are there good reasons to get bleeding checked out right away? I generally feel bad ignoring medical advice (like I'm arrogant), but I just don't feel the need for instant answers/reassurance.

I'm confident that even if I have a loss, I won't torture myself with "what ifs" and "if onlys." Editing to add that my next US is next Thursday.

Re: Am I being too laid back about the spotting that's started today?

• Options
    I had spotting with my last pregnancy (that ***TW*** unfortunately ended in a MMC) and called my doctor.  They immediately got me in for a scan but it was only to make sure it wasn't ectopic.  Since you already had a scan and know it is not ectopic, I don't know what more you can do other than call your doctor. If your husband is still uneasy maybe call your doctor back and ask if they can get you in for a scan.  Spotting is normal in early pregnancy, or so I have been told.  
    TTC History:
    Started dating DH 2006 . Married 2015

TTC July 2015-November 2015
    BFP November 2015
    Baby boy born August 2016

Oops BFP February 2021
    MMC March 2021

Back on BC for a year to decide what we want to do.

TTC Since March 2022
    MMC June 2022

BFP September 2022 - Due June 2023!

• Options
    I had spotting early on (5w) with my last and when I called my doctor, they said to keep an eye on it and call back if it got redder, heavier, or was accompanied by intense pain. Within the day it was redder and heavier, so I knew pretty quick. And they followed up with a TV Scan to confirm.

I feel you're right, if it's not progressing quickly to anything more (even slightly pinker/red instead of brown) then you're probably okay to wait. You're right with the fact there's nothing you could do anyways. An ER visit would be an extra bill/cost, worry/stress, and potentially unneeded. And if you are irritated from the first scan, a second may not help.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks to both of you for sharing your thoughts and experiences. I really appreciate it.

**TW** It did turn out to be a MC, which was confirmed last night at the ER.
  • Options
    @missmuisq I'm so sorry!
    TTC History:
    Started dating DH 2006 . Married 2015

TTC July 2015-November 2015
    BFP November 2015
    Baby boy born August 2016

Oops BFP February 2021
    MMC March 2021

Back on BC for a year to decide what we want to do.

TTC Since March 2022
    MMC June 2022

BFP September 2022 - Due June 2023!

• Options
    After my ultrasound yesterday my doctor told me it’s normal to have some light spotting and to not worry unless it becomes heavy or I am in pain.