December 2022 Moms
Options

Fitness Thread (May)

How are we staying active? Any goals? Questions?

Re: Fitness Thread (May)

• Options
    I have been on a recumbent bike, lots of walking, some weights. I saw that apple fitness plus has pregnancy workouts which I’ll probably start once I am further along. It’s kinda hard to do more workouts cause mind is all “let’s do this” and my body is all “bitch you need to chill”
  • Options
    Made it to the gym 4 days last week and hoping to do at least that in the week ahead.  My cardio has been limited to about 7-8 minutes at a time on the step machine but I’ve been able to get at least 15 minutes total each day which feels like an accomplishment.  I’ve been doing a lot of floor exercises since I feel much better when I’m horizontal.  Lots of floor dumbbell presses/flies, banded hip bridges/clamshells/etc, and lots of core work.  

Goals for the coming week are to keep on keeping on with my morning workouts and not let myself feel guilty about the drop in intensity from pre-pregnancy, because something is always better than nothing.  Also my hips have been aching so II want to add In nightly sessions of stretching and pelvic exercises.  And I’m hoping to have an InBody assessment done this week so I’ll have some benchmarks for setting recomp goals post-baby.  I wish I’d done it a couple weeks ago because I know I’ve already lost some muscle tone.  

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I love doing walking tapes with free weights or kettlebells 4-5 times a week. Really, besides pilates, these are the only workouts I enjoy doing, lol
  • Options
    hspghspg member
    I was running 3x a week before knowing I was pregnant. Now I'm choosing to do some jog/walk intervals when the weather permits. On weekday mornings I hit my basement gym and start with 10-15 min on either the row machine or elliptical. Then I'll do a short upper or lower body session with my barbell or dumbbells.  Doc okayed me to keep doing anything I'm used to doing. He said eventually I'll have to not do sit ups because my belly will be in the way but other than that to have fun! I've still noticed my abdomen expanding which feels way too soon but that's likely to a change in diet. I've adopted the habit of a bagel every morning to keep the naseau away and while I swear it is working, my pants don't quite fit right and I'm only 8 weeks. 😬 Trying to not let that get to me though as my only concern is a healthy baby. The weight can come off later.
  • Options
    If anyone knows of any good prenatal yoga classes that are found online or YouTube, I would be interested in checking it out. 
  • Options
    @talldecafcappuccino I like Yoga With Adriene, Blogilates, and PopSugar
  • Options
    janinegb said:
    I have been on a recumbent bike, lots of walking, some weights. I saw that apple fitness plus has pregnancy workouts which I’ll probably start once I am further along. It’s kinda hard to do more workouts cause mind is all “let’s do this” and my body is all “bitch you need to chill”
    “…and you should probably eat a croissant. For the baby.” 🤣
  • Options
    I’m still working out with a trainer once a week, but there’s been a perceptible decrease in intensity. I’m going into this pregnancy 10-15 lbs heavier than my “ideal,” so that’s tough—I was gearing up to increase to two days a week before we found out. Once we’re a little more out of the woods, I’m hoping I’ll feel a little more comfortable incorporating more low-key aerobic activity, if only for the stress-reducing properties. It making me nervous to be eating so many starchy things I normally wouldn’t, just because they’re the only things that sound remotely appetizing. At 36, losing weight isn’t as simple as it was 10 years ago, so I want to be mindful not to go overboard. That said, as someone who can get TOO mindful about my size and weight, I think I’m going to ask my OB to just give me a heads up when we hit the 10 lb, 15 lb, and 20 lb gain marks (hopefully that will be tops), rather than update me on gains at every appointment. The last thing I need is to be overly concerned about every pound. That said, I don’t want to walk in for an appointment one day and be shocked that I’ve gained 50+ lbs.
  • Options
    I can bake my own I just need to go get specific flour I also make a killer almond butter croissants 
  • Options
    I haven’t been able to exercise at all for the last 3 weeks! I’ve been so exhausted (and I was sick for one of those weeks so that didn’t help).  My goal this week is to do 3 walks, and hopefully next week I can add back in some short free weight sessions.  Its been so hard I don’t know how you ladies do it! 
  • Options
    I went on my first long walk again today and so far feeling fine! Knock on wood. 
  • Options
    I’ve been doing peloton a few times a week. I’ve read in the first trimester you can exercise as usual, but my heart rate tends to go WAY up whenever I exercise. I’m hoping to get in to ask my OB once my referral goes through!

Also plan to add more yoga and stretching to my routine, maybe not a prenatal specific one until second trimester…
  • Options
    Man, the first few weeks I really thought I could stick to my everyday workout schedule, but I was dying of exhaustion. So I cut a lot out. now I still go to my aerial classes 2x a week and then see my personal trainer once a week. They all know I'm pregnant and have adjusted my load. My trainer especially has been trying to get me to do more pelvic floor exercises haha. I try to go out for a short walk on days I have no classes scheduled.
  • Options
    I’m with my trainer 5 days a week still. Just modifying when needed and taking minute breaks when I see my heart rate is a little too elevated. I plan to keep doing this as long as I can! I’ve been training intensely for about 4 months, weights, bike, rowing, running, etc. I worked out during my first pregnancy and labor was a breeze! Biggest goal is healthy baby and healthy mommy, and listening to my body
  • Options
    Look at you all go with the exercise! Way to go! 

I have been so tired - both from pregnancy and DH was out of town for 8 days recently. Taking care of our preschooler alone was so tiring. 😅

My main goal has just been to reach my step goal each day with movement around the house and a daily walk. I would like to add more strength training back in too once this fatigue lessens.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    rac2718rac2718 member
    @bustabucket I totally relate! I was my heaviest weight when I got pregnant with my son at 34. I was careful about weight gain and took it off plus more pretty quickly while breastfeeding. Then when he stopped nursing and I was still eating like I was nursing put all the weight back on. In Oct 2020, I started counting calories and tracking my steps and lost 35 lbs slowly bc I'm in my late 30s and it doesn't happen quickly lol! I had a MC in Dec so I put on a few lbs that I never lost. I'm trying not to focus too much on the weight I'm already putting on now, but I'm hungry all the time or I feel sick and I'm not going to count calories and make myself crazy. I'm trying to keep getting in daily aerobics and 12000 steps a day. I'll take it off on the flip side hopefully. If I did it once, I can do it again.
  • Options
    Wow good on you ladies!! I have had zero energy… used to be spin and do weights throughout the week have only been walking my dog. Anyone find their energy picked up? I’m 8weeks 4 days and am hoping I will have more energy soon for some workouts! Stretching is a great idea in the evening, maybe I’ll start there :)
  • Options
    Currently, I'm on light duty due to over stressing my left hip on popping out moving boxes, filling them up, taping and stacking. 
    Its been a huge bummer because I'm 2x going into this pregnancy and at 8 weeks, noting in my closet fits due to that bloat.
    I am walking at least once a day somewhere between an 1/8 to 1/4 of a mile. I had huge plans to run a 5k for the Annual Turkey Trot this year, but after talking to the OBGYN I plan on trying to jog the 1 mile by then. 
    I'll be 8 months along, and during that I plan on doing the turkey trot and go hunting for my deer 🦌 to put in the freezer for this next comming winter. I will be enlisting to get more help this year since it will be hard for me to break it down. My mentor said we will be doing a blind hunt so it will be easier than the traditional spot and stalk. 
    With the move into the new house right around the corner and my summer plans for hiking I plan on staying pretty active.🥰
  • Options
    @rac2718 At this rate, this kid’s going to be breastfeeding till they’re 30  😂
  • Options
    I’m feeling so discouraged.  I accomplished none of my goals last week and so far this week is going just as poorly.  Daily exercise is key to both my mental health and my self-image, so this new “too sick to move” streak is not sustainable.

Tomorrow I’m not even going to try to get to the gym at my usual 6:00am.  Instead I’ll try to go around 10:00am which seems to be the time my energy is at a high and my nausea is at a low.  We’ll see if that makes a difference.  
  • Options
    @scoutkate You’ll get it worked out—sounds like you’ve already identified a modification to help you get there! Personally, I’m trying to calm myself by focusing on just getting through the first trimester to the second, at which point it’s supposed
    to get easier to increase activity. I hear you on the mental health component—I definitely need exercise as an outlet for multiple reasons. 
  • Options
    I'm also in the camp of folks who are struggling to get activity in. I was active prior to getting pregnant (played soccer, weight trained 4-5 days/week, daily long walks) and really haven't been able to move much over the last 4-weeks due to the nausea, vomiting, and dizziness. At this point, I feel like I'm in survival mode, too. I walk a short while every other day and fight to get off the couch and just do some chores/work on the other days. Crossing fingers and toes that trimester 2 will be much better! 
  • Options
    On weekday mornings I hit my basement gym and start with 10-15 min on either the row machine or elliptical. Then I'll do a short upper or lower body session with my barbell or adjustable dumbbells.
  • Options
    > @jamesstephan1 said:
    > On weekday mornings I hit my basement gym and start with 10-15 min on either the row machine or elliptical. Then I'll do a short upper or lower body session with my barbell or adjustable dumbbells.

here you can read more about (https://www.gymstogo.com/product/powerblock-sports-exp-stage-2-50-70lbs/) powerblock sport 50
  • Options
    Thanks for starting this thread. I need inspiration as I have been way too tired to want to work out. Sadly, haven’t really done any significant working out in weeks. Need to try to get back into the habit. Anyone want to do some kind of accountability thing? I need it!
  • Options
    I’ve been going swimming, it’s been more enjoyable than my other exercises. 
  • Options
    Hey everyone,

I’m still exhausted! The last 2 weeks I’ve managed to do about 3 or 4 walks. I started short with 15-20 and then was up to 40 minute walks. This weekend I crashed again though and today I’ve literally just been resting aaalllll day on the couch. Everyone I’ve talked to says it’s normal and just to rest while you need it but it’s hard! 

I’m heading into week 11 so I hope I feel back to my old self soon. I can tell I’ve lost a lot of muscle already. 
  • Options
    @sprout1234 I've had a similar experience these past few days! I'll be 11 weeks tomorrow. The last couple weeks I got back into regular running with some decent mileage, but I've had to cut the workouts way back since Friday. My body just will not move how I'm used to! I'm trying to embrace it but yes, it's hard!