December 2022 Moms

Old Wives Tales

Just for fun—are there any you maybe sort of believe? 

There are several that were true for me in my first pregnancy (girls = worse morning sickness, sweet craving, carry higher, etc) but plenty of my friends who had boys experienced the same things.  The only one that in my anecdotal experience seems to be true way more often than not is the leg hair wives tale:  if you’re carrying a boy, your leg hair grows like crazy, if you’re carrying a girl, it basically stops growing altogether.  That one was true for me and most everyone I know. 

I also feel like the ring test has been more accurate than not based on what I’ve experienced/witnessed.  According to that, this kid is a boy!  

Re: Old Wives Tales

• Mine have been generally pointing to boy: savory cravings, haven’t thrown up yet even though I’m usually nauseous, ring swing, skin usually clear, garlic smells are super strong and aversive to me whether I ate it or not, Chinese gender predictor says boy… 🤷🏻‍♀️ But we’ll see! My husband and I aren’t hoping either way so the wives tales have been fun to talk about. 
  • I was playing around with different versions of that and it kept telling me girl
  • Loading the player...
  • Mine have been showing girl: higher fetal heart rate, super sick and vomiting, sweet cravings, Chinese gender predictor. But I am convinced it’s a boy, I’ve been having dreams it’s a boy!
  • msd15msd15 member
    The biggest for my first was bad heartburn meant lots of hair. At one point I thought I was having a heart attack my heartburn was so bad. My daughter had a head full of hair. Could literally put tiny pigtails in it from day one. As far as this baby I have no idea. Nothing seems to stick. Chinese predictor says boy. I am craving savory more but I think I did with my daughter as well. 
  • I can never remember all of them, but I think both of my children went opposite of all the wives tales. My son had a higher heart rate, craved sweet, carried high. My daughter had a lower heart rate, craved salty, carried low.  I’m excited to see what the tie breaker will be! This baby has a much higher heart rate than my first two, and so far I’ve been more tired and more nauseous with this one and all I’ve been really craving is toast 🤣 it’s always fun to see how it works out!
  • Wait what is the ring test?? And what is the Chinese gender predictor? I don't know any of these things!
  • Ring test:  tie a ring to a piece of string and dangle it over your wrist (or belly, but wrist is easier).  Once it stabilizes, it will begin moving on its own either in circles, or back and forth in a straight line like a pendulum.  Circles means girl, straight line means boy.

If you google Chinese gender predictor you’ll find multiple sites where you can enter your birthday and due date and they will somehow predict the gender based on that info.  I don’t know a ton about that one tbh.  
  • The ring test has been accurate so far, this will be 4th kid and the test said 4 kids- boy-girl-girl-girl. So far I have boy-girl-girl
    BUT the Chinese gender calendar says Boy this time and my cravings are meat and anything salty so..... we'll find out in December because we don't find out gender before birth 😊