Trying to Get Pregnant

GTKY w/o 1.24

No, for real though, what adventure or special location or destination had a major impact on your life? 

Re: GTKY w/o 1.24

• I moved out to Phoenix, Arizona to teach my first 3 years. Moving from small town Ohio to Phoenix helped open my eyes to what other parts of our country are like and the struggles other people go through. It made me a better rounded person and teacher. I can’t wait to take MH there one day, he has never been. 
  • kiki047kiki047 member
    edited January 2022
    Tokyo, Japan. Not just because it is an incredibly fascinating city, but I was there with my Dad in March 2011 when the earthquake and tsunami hit the Sendai coast. Growing up in Canada, I had never felt an earthquake before, and that was one of the biggest that has ever hit the region, so the whole experience was surreal. We weren't in any imminent danger but being stranded as a tourist in a foreign city where you don't speak the language was challenging to say the least, and cell service was spotty so we had to be strategic about sending updates home to my terrified family as well. That trip changed the course of my life, no doubt about it. We flew home 3 days later, but not before we caught a glimpse of the true spirit of the Japanese people and how resilient and gracious they are even in the face of massive adversity. 

I did go back to Japan a few times after that and just feel so compelled to keep visiting. I'd love to take MH sometime soon. Full disclosure, we're Japanese by heritage but 4th generation Canadian, we don't speak Japanese, and we don't have any known family there. 

TTC History:

Me: 36  MH: 39, TTC since Dec 2017

Aug '18: PCOS dx

Nov '18: MH SA - 19mil

Dec '18-Mar '19: Letrozole + TI - all BFN

Apr '19: Letrozole + TI, - BFN.  Repeat SA (27mil) & DNA fragmentation test (17%)

Aug '19: Letrozole + HCG trigger + IUI + prog supp - BFN (MH: 16mil)

Sep '19: 2nd IUI, same protocol - BFN (MH: 16mil) 

Dec '19: IVF #1 w/ICSI, PGT. 5 retrieved, 4 fertilized, 3 blasts, 3 PGT-A normal.

Mar '20: FET #1, perfect 5AA blast transferred. BFN.

Sept '20: FET #2, 5BB tsf. 9/18/20 BFP!! EDD: 5/27/21. MMC 11w                                                  

Feb ‘21: FET #3, last 6BB blast transferred. BFP, EDD 11/2/21. MC 5w3d. 

May '21: IVF #2 w/ICSI, PGT. 8R, 7M, 6F, 6 blasts - 3AB, 3AB, 3BB, 4BB, 5BB, 6BA. Fresh tsf 5/13/21 - BFN. 

June '21: PGT-A results = 3 abnormal, 1 low level mosaic. Referred to new REI, had consult with 2nd RE in between. 

Sept '21: RPL, immune testing normal

Oct '21: IVF #3 w/IMSI, PGT. 33R, 26M, 23F, 9 blasts (7 day 6, 2 day 7). PGT-A = 5 normal, 1 mosaic

Dec '21: Positive for endometritis, RX Flagyl & Keflex

Jan '22: FET #5 - Kitchen sink immune/RIF protocol incl. PRP, intralipids, prednisone, medrol, nivestym, fragmin - CP

Feb '22: FET #6 - Kitchen sink immune/RIF protocol w/higher doses of pred & fragmin - BFN

Mar '22: Mock cycle for ERA - cancelled, repeat endometrial biopsy instead. Still positive for endometritis. RX ciprofloxacin & amoxicillin. 

Apr '22: IVF #4 w/IMSI, PGT. 28R, 23M, 16F, 11 blasts. PGT-A = 6 normal. 

June '22: FET #7 - Microdose lupron downreg w/kitchen sink immune/RIF protocol - double embryo transfer. BFN.

July '22: FET #8 - Mini stim w/Puregon + trigger, kitchen sink immune/RIF protocol. BFN. 

Sep '22: Taking a break

Dec '22: Attempted abdominal myomectomy, fibroid too close to cervix and major blood vessels. Wasn't removed. 

Feb '23: FET #9 - Modified natural w/baby asp, HCG trigger, PIO, PRP, Medrol, HCG wash, embryo glue - BFP!! EDD 11/11/23

• Loading the player...
  • +1 to Wuhan. What a great answer. 

Really though, it would have to be Yerevan, Armenia. I got the opportunity to go for a week with my old company (we had an office there). Such an amazing city to visit... so much history! It also having been a former USSR company, it was interesting to see how it was different from other former republics, and really embracing its somewhere-between-Europe-Asia-and-Mediteranean existence. Also, for special context for @kiki047, I went in 2017 when Canada was celebrating its 150th bday and on a tour bus, I learned that Yerevan had celebrated its 2750's bday a few years back, which certainly put things into context. Lol. Oh, and I also went shortly after reading a book about the Armenian genocide by the Turks in early 1900's, so it added an additional layer of gravitas. Everything was so amazingly friendly and accommodating there! I'd love to go back with MH. 

Also of importance is that in May of that the year I ended my 6-yr relationship and started dating MH. One of the things my ex- liked to tell me is that we'd done so much traveling, which to him meant a roadtrip to Montreal, QC, to Rochester, NY and a flight to Cape Breton, NS, and Las Vegas, NV. In my books, that's not "traveling"... so within 6 months of us breaking up, I ended up visiting 5 countries and I felt really good about that. 
    MY CHART
    TTC History
    TTC#2
    Me: 40.5; MH: 39 | Met 02/2009 | Started Dating 08/2017 | Married 02/02/2020
    TTC #2 ... preparing as of March 2024

TTC #1
    Me: 36, MH: 34 | Met 02/2009 | Started Dating 08/2017 | Married 02/02/2020
    TTC #1 02/2020 - 07/2022
    2009 | Dx PCOS; likely a misdiagnosis
    07/14/20 | Dx Hashimoto's Thyroditis
    07/21/20 | 1st RE appointment
    07/2120 - 08/20/20 | so much testing; no signs of PCOS
    08/20/20 | Dx Unexplained; AMA
    09/08/20 | IUI #1 Clomid + Trigger + Prometrium | BFN
    09/30/20 | Urology consult; more testing required
    10/2020 | Clomid + OPK + TI + Prometrium | BFN
    10/26/2020 | Starting 2nd IUI cycle, with Letrazole and with a new RE / different clinic
    11/03/2020 | New Dx "poor egg quality"; IUI cancelled in favor of Trigger + TI + Prometrium | BFN
    11/26/2020 | Combo IUI (Clomid + Menopur) + Trigger + Prometrium | BFN
    12/20/2020 | Combo IUI (Clomid + Gonal-F) + Trigger | IUI Cancelled due to thin lining; TI only | BFN
    01/14/2021 | Combo IUI (Letrazole + Menopur) + Trigger | BFN
    02/06/2021 | Switched to a new RE (TEW) ; trying naturally until we complete additional testing 
    03/14/2021 | Hybrid Double IUI, with Zymot (Letrazole, Gonal-F) + Trigger + Endometrin | Ovulated 4 mature eggs but still a BFN ☹️
    04/07/2021 | Natural cycle while we regroup | BFN
    04/09/2021 | Employer announces fertility benefits starting 05/01/2021! | Search for a new doctor who accepts insurance
    05/10/2021 | New RE consult & plan for IVF
    05/13/2021 | Mid-luteal IVF cycle #1 interrupted; had to get cancer genetic screening done to make sure I didn't have the same SDHA gene mutation as MH. 
    06/10/2021 | Aygestin priming IVF cycle #1; opted to Cx after 9 days of stims since only 5-6/12 follicles responded
    07/26/2021 | Attempt #2 at IVF cycle #1 (mid-luteal start): 8 retrieved, 8 MII, 6 fert (1 PN3), 3 Day 5 & 6 blasts: 3AA, 3AA, 6AB; 3 euploid
    08/09/2021 | Rest cycle / unmedicated TTC | Shockingly, a BFP! EDD: 5/25/202 | CP at 4w4d
    09/23/2021 | IVF cycle #2 (mid-luteal start): 14 retrieved, 13 MII, 11 fert, 5 Day 5 & 6 blasts: 2 x 3AA, 2 x 3AB, 3BB; 2 euploid
    11/12/2021 | IVF cycle #3 (mid-luteal start): cancelled due to ovaries being on vacation
    12/20/2021 | Rest cycle / unmedicated TTC + Pregmune Immunology Testing; BFN
    01/22/2022 | Rest cycle / unmedicated TTC + understanding uncovered immunological issues; BFN
    02/18/2022 | Mock transfer cycle! ERA, ReceptivaDx, EMMA/ALICE; start Prednisone to address NK activity
    03/16/2022 | Final, "Hail Mary" super-ovulation + TI cycle before FET; BFP! EDD: 12/21/2022 | MMC 05/08/2022
    05/20/2022 | D&C; recovering... 
    06/21/2022 | Trying naturally until October 2022
    07/21/2022 | BFP! EDD 04/02/2023; 👦🏼 born on 4/5/2023

• PaturkeyPaturkey member
    edited January 2022
    There are a lot of different ways I could answer this question and I'm sort of struggling to nail it down, but if forced to pick I'd say: a university town, New Zealand. I went there to study for a year during my undergraduate and I loved it so damn much. I made great friends, saw an amazing country and just basically fell in love with it. I'm old so it was before the LoTR movies came out (they were still filming them at the time) so fewer people were aware of how beautiful it is. Volcanoes, mountains, glaciers, rainforests, I mean... unbelievable. I've been back three times since I left and it's still lovely and it's great to catch up with my old friends. My SO hasn't been so I'd really love to take him to the South Island for a two-week backpacking, cycling and sea kayaking trip. Maybe once Covid settles down we can think about planning it. (When I moved from the east coast to California after college my mother literally said, "Well at least you're not moving to NZ!" because she was legitimately concerned about it).

@kiki047 That must have been a really incredible/disconcerting/scary/life affirming experience <3 Japan has been on my list for about 25 years and one of these days I'm going!

@acleverusername That trip sounds really interesting, particularly given all the context. I am so happy for you that you made the space to travel yourself after your breakup. My ex similarly talked a big game about travel but then somehow never had the time to do it.
  • edited January 2022
    @Paturkey my paternal grandmother was from NZ and i still have family there! I've always wanted to go.
    I'm not sure I really have a particular city that changed me, although traveling as much as I did certainly changed me. I think the most obvious answer for me would be a city that I can't name on this board for risk of outing myself, since it relates to my research. But maybe I'll just say Istanbul, which was the city that got me over my fear of traveling beyond the confines of western Europe, and taught me that the world is wide and bright and full of interesting and friendly people, and that I should always try the street food.
    History
    I am doing this on my own. Left ovary and fallopian tube removed due to cyst/necrosis just after birth. Right ovary and tube still purport to function.
    Began TTC in Aug '18 @ age 35
    5 or 6 (or 7?!) cycles using frozen donor sperm, ICI. All BFN
    Mar-Jun '19 IUIs, all BFN
    Began process of referral for RE in spring of '19, blood tests confirm low AMH (.54) but all else is good.
    May '19 HSG shows open tube, but ultrasound suggests fibroids
    MRI in June '19 confirms two large fibroids, one growing through wall of uterus
    In June '19 I move from California to Oregon, disrupting my insurance, referrals, etc. 5 months spent piecing it all back together.
    Nov. '19 attempted myomectomy (vaginal approach) failed. 2nd surgery using laparoscopic method in Jan '20 is successful.
    April '20 --> June '20, natural IUIs, all BFN.
    July? saline ultrasound and bubble test demonstrate open tube
    July '20 clomid cycle cancelled for thin lining
    Aug-Oct, 3 femara cycles, all BFN
    RE referral. While waiting to set up an appointment Nov-Jan,I continue with natural cycles and ICI, using a known donor, BFN...
    Jan '21 more bloodwork, AMH is worse (.30), FSH high albeit not catastrophic at 13.2. hysteroscopy all good. "looks cozy!" says the RE.
    Feb '21, injectables (menopur, novarel), iui, BFN (doc said the frozen donor sperm sample had the "best numbers she'd ever seen!")
    Mar '21, injectables, iui cancelled due to lack of follicles, converted to at home-insem. BFN
    May '21, first IVF round cancelled due to cyst.
    July '21 IVF: standard antagonist. 225menupur/225gonal-f/cetrotide/5000u trigger, AFC 7; 6 days of stims. 8 eggs retrieved, 7 mature, 5 fertilize, 4 made it to blast. 3 are 4AB, 1 is 4BB. PGT-A results all abnormal.
    Oct '21 somewhat improved AMH (.51) and significantly improved FSH (8.9). Maybe it's all the pills I swallow.
    Dec -21, standard antagonist. 225menupur/225gonal-f/cetrotide/5000u trigger, AFC 5; 11 days of stims. retrieval yields 5, 4M, 2 reach day-6 blast (4AB & 4BB). 1 low-level mosaic (chr. 3 deletion), 1 complex abnormal.
    Feb '22 FET (low-level mosaic): CP.
    May '22 egg retrieval, lupron flare protocol. HGH priming for 1 month before stims; md lupron 20/20u daily; menopur 225, follistim 225, 10k trigger after 8 days of stims; AFC 10; 13 retrieved; 10 mature; 8 fertilized. All frozen at 2PN for later thaw, grow, and biopsy.
    July '22 egg retrieval same protocol: 9 days of stims; AFC 8; 10 retrieved, 8 mature, 4 fertilized and frozen.
    Sept '22 ER same protocol: AFC 10; 12 retrieved, 11 mature, 11 fertilized.
    From the 3 retrievals, 7 survived to day 5-6 blastocyst, from which I have 2 normal embryos!
    Jan 20, Fully medicated FET, baby aspirin, dexamethasone, acupuncture, and as much woo as I can stand (which isn't very much). BFN.
    July 23, Natural FET + baby aspirin. BFN.