September 2022 Moms
Options

The Great Big Queston Thread!

Re: The Great Big Queston Thread!

• Options
    @dsmith211I’m in Savannah, GA, so right off the coast. The city won’t do a mandatory evacuation for a cat 1 hurricane, but will for anything higher. So, I think that’s what she means when she said they’ll send something out if there’s an evacuation. Basically, a mandatory evacuation means they stop running emergency services. It doesn’t mean you have to leave. The hospital system is rated up to a cat 4, but they consolidate to the building without labor and delivery. There’s an on call OB, but very different experience, and you’re screwed if the baby needs supportive care. 

So, really better to evacuate I think. We’ll just have to decide where we’d go as far as easy return home, hospital system in network with insurance etc…just in case. 
  • Options
    @laj0217 Just come up the road 2 hours and I'll bring you good food while you're at the hospital!  :D
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @mnmomma84 whats the difference between a belly button hernia and a normal pregnancy related outie? Is it the same thing? Cuz mine has been out for a long time. It never went back to normal innie after last pregnancy, just was flat. So it's been out since I started showing. I've wondered if it's a hernia but my midwife hasn't said anything about it🤷‍♀️
  • Options
    whitta1015whitta1015 member
    edited June 2022
    @babywiik I know, I'm wondering this too! Mine was normal before my first baby, then was just kind of flat, and has been out since I started showing this time. I just had an appt last week where my doctor measured my stomach and he didn't say anything about it. 

Edit to add - I just read an article that says an outie is normal. But if you're having any pain or discomfort around your bellybutton, that would be reason for concern and could be a hernia.
  • Options
    @whitta1015 I feel if they make Savannah evacuate, Charleston is gonna evacuate too lol! But y’all do have better food!!
  • Options
    momsdmmomsdm member
    Sorry if someone has brought this up already - but has anyone had bleeding after intercourse in the 2nd trimester? I’m 23+6 and  I’ve had it a few times earlier on in the pregnancy but all my googling says it’s mostly normal earlier in pregnancy…
    I am assuming it’s just changes in my cervix as  the bleeding didn’t last long. 
  • Options
    @momsdm I did at 25 weeks. It was the first time it happened, so it freaked me out a little. I saw my OB on Tuesday, though. She said totally normal due to changes in the cervix and so long as it is spotting don’t give it a second thought. She said if it’s “heavy like a period” to call the office. 
  • Options
    momsdmmomsdm member
    edited June 2022
    @laj0217 Thank you!!! I figured it’s most likely normal as when it happened in the first trimester the doc wasn’t worried. 
  • Options
    @momsdm I’m glad you asked about this so if it happens, now I know!
  • Options
    @babywiik @whitta1015
    I'm not sure! She asked me about it when I was in for my appointment and suggested a belt in case it gets to be a problem. It hasn't bothered me, and I just thought it was a normal outie that happens with our bellies expanding. I know it wasn't her intention, but now I'm a little concerned about it during labor/delivery. I'll ask her some more questions at my next appointment. 
  • Options
    @mnmomma84 mine didn't both me last time so I'm guess it'll be fine this time but good idea to ask more questions. I'll ask my midwife when I talk to her next as well
  • Options
    Has anyone taken fluconazole while in second trimester in a previous pregnancy? Was everything okay afterwards? I am hesitant to take it because I don’t want to harm the baby but the alternative is to do another round of monistat. 
  • Options
    @1stbabydue0912 I haven't taken fluconazole, but I was treated for a yeast infection with the terconazole via vaginal insertion, which did not work at all. I'm gonna try the Monistat 1 today and if that doesn't work, I'm gonna ask my doctor to give me something else because I cannot deal with this anymore.
  • Options
    My doc just told me to continue with the 3 or 7 day treatments of needed. I was told specifically not to use one day treatments, and they still try to avoid fluconazole if at all possible
    Current pregnancy -
    First BFP on 1/4/22.  Due date 9/13/22.

Four prior losses, no living children - 1 first trimester miscarriage, 1 blighted ovum, 1 chemical, and one extreme premature live birth daughter who died at 15 days old.

• Options
    Thank you ladies. I will do the 3 day. My pharmacy friend said never do the 1 day. 
  • Options
    whitta1015whitta1015 member
    edited June 2022
    My doctor was ok with trying it since we had tried the 7 day treatments multiple times, and also because I'm going into my 3rd trimester. 
  • Options
    Anyone elses butt seem to be taking a beating during pregnancy? So far only my butt has gotten stretch marks ( and quiet a few) and butt acne (lol). I can't see it so it's not a big deal but I'm just surprised when I do look. 27 + 6.
  • Options
    Like I can see my butt lol
    Current pregnancy -

Four prior losses, no living children - 1 first trimester miscarriage, 1 blighted ovum, 1 chemical, and one extreme premature live birth daughter who died at 15 days old.

• Options
    My butt looks like normal, although I feel like it looks bigger. Not having a terribly body-confident week.
  • Options
    I definitely feel like my posture changing because of my baby belly, is leading to my butt looking less cute. Not permanently though- phew
  • Options
    I dont know about stretch marks or anything, but I did go for a walk yesterday and out of everything, my butt hurt from walking. Lol
  • Options
    I had stretch marks on my butt, hips and tummy last time. Luckily I still have some loose skin hanging around and I haven't needed any more stretching.... for now🙏🙏🙏
  • Options
    Holy cow. I reached 29 weeks today and pregnancy carpal tunnel is hitting me hard in my hands/fingers. Anyone else? Any tips?
  • Options
    Nikki - please check your inbox.
    Current pregnancy -

• Options
    Has anyone ever had to get a root canal while pregnant? I just found out today, at 26 weeks I need one. Never had one and nervous to say the least! It’s not going to happen for another three weeks either. Would love all the advice!
  • Options
    @eppich2022 no advice but I'm sorry you need a root canal. Dental work is the worst🥴 hope it goes well. Maybe check in with your midwife or OB and see what they say. If you'll need any meds for the procedure how could they affect the baby and if you're on your back too long you could have  a hard time breathing. Maybe the dr doing the root canal can go slow and let you sit up every now and then or not gave you reclined completely? Good luck!
  • Options
    nikkiduh said:
    Holy cow. I reached 29 weeks today and pregnancy carpal tunnel is hitting me hard in my hands/fingers. Anyone else? Any tips?
    I didn't even know that was a thi g that could happen 😳 I'm sorry about have to go through that. Does not sound like fun!
  • Options
    @eppich2022 I can't remember clearly, but with DS1 I for sure had a couple fillings. I want to say I probably had a root canal in a molar in second tri with him as well. I did a lot of growing up in my 20's, as I'm sure lots of people did, but I'm very proud to have gotten my dental work back up to par. It took 5 years of working and scheduling, but I'm finally cavity free, with no more work to be done. DS1 is also cavity-free with no work to be done. I'll never let his teeth get to where mine were!
  • Options
    Hello everyone! I am trying to figure out if I want to do a medicated birth or non-medicated. Does anyone have any advice or experience? Thanks!!! :) 
  • Options
    @running_mom_ it's totally personal preference! I know some moms who want an epidural ASAP so they can rest good and possibly sleep during the first stages of labor. I know other moms who want to go as long as possible without and then see how they're feeling if they want an epidural or not and still other moms don't want anything no matter what! It's good to know what can happen as there are no guarantees with anything. Epidurals don't always work as expected: can only work on one half of the body (personal experience), it's possible it won't work at all and I've heard of one mom who it worked too good and her arms got numb as well so she couldn't really hold her baby after. But...most of the time it'll work as expected (from the top of your belly and down). Any intervention has the possibility of disrupting labor and slowing it down which can have a domino effect. Sometimes pitocin, which is meant to instigate contractions, can have a negative affect on baby's heart rate which has the possibility of them calling an emergency c-section. With an epidural, its common that you can't move much so there's not as many options for shifting positions to help baby descend further which can also lead to a c-section. I don't mean to scare you away from any medication, induction or c-section if you choose. It's just that I like to know what things can possibly affect baby and the course of labor. Our bodies are meant to give birth and though modern medicine has made it possible for many babies and moms to survive childbirth where 100+years ago they wouldn't, it's not necessarily better to help the natural process of childbirth if there's not an actual need for help.
    Ultimately, there's no right or wrong way, only you know what is right for you.

I personally plan to give birth at our local hospital this time and it's small so they don't have an epidural option. The Birth Hour has a really good birth prep course(you hafta pay for it) that's very informative as well as a podcast (free) sharing so many birth stories. I've also started a hypnobabies course that I plan to use during labor since medication won't be an immediate option.
  • Options
    @nikkiduh The only thing that helped me last time was wearing wrist supports to bed. Mine was exacerbated because of the way I like to have my hands while I sleep. I weirdly didn't have issues until after delivery (but I swear it started a few weeks before; Amazon shows delivery two weeks after I had my daughter, though), but the braces helped immensely. This is what I used and really liked (one left and one right).

Mueller Sports Medicine Green Fitted Wrist Brace, For Men and Women, Right Hand, Black, Small/Medium https://a.co/awHrQjw
    DD 10/2019
  • Options
    I’m not sure if this has already been discussed but I was talking to a friend in a Target today about what to put on my baby shower registry (I’m not into the high tech baby gear and definitely more of a minimalist) and a lady passing by was like “ADD IT ALL” and another lady suggested I add some “mom/dad” type items rather than just hundreds of things for the baby. What are you guys thinking about it? Do you have any postpartum or mom things on your registry? 
  • Options
    Postpartum stuff absolutely.
    Current pregnancy -

• Options
    @paigeme21 I definitely have post partum items on there. I didn't put any nursing bras or anything, but I have nursing items (disposable pads for bra, milk storage bags, etc). I also put stuff I needed for the nursery like little storage bins, diaper caddy, hangers, etc.
  • Options
    @paigeme21 definitely put things that will help you and your husband once baby arrives (within reason). Like a new golf club helps his happiness but not exactly related to baby 😂. A baby carrier/stroller/pack n play for taking to the driving range would be appropriate tho! 🤘

I kind of think pelvic floor rehab or chiropractor care would be an excellent cash fund that family/friends could contribute to. I didn’t realize how important it would be with my first and we aren’t going to do a registry for second baby so it may just be out of pocket. 
  • Options
    @paigeme21 We had mostly baby things. I added diapers and wipes to ours - highly recommend so people know which brand you're going with. We put a glider and boppy on there, those are kind of mom things. I also added a manual pump and food processor with storage bagging kit.
  • Options
    I have a question for my sister, she just had her baby a week ish ago and with her milk coming in she is a 36 R bra size and can't find nursing bras. Do you guys have any suggestions?
  • Options
    Bratabase.com you can search bra size and what brands make them, sometimes nursing bras come up within the brands! 
  • Options
    There’s also the discount to think about. After the shower you can add any eligible item from the store to do your own discount shopping! You’ll probably still want baby items but you never know what else you can get!
  • Options
    Hypnobabies? What’s that?