August 2022 Moms
Options

***TW*** Spotting/Bleeding/Threatened Loss Support Thread

Re: ***TW*** Spotting/Bleeding/Threatened Loss Support Thread

• Options
    Great news @wigglyicecream !!! Yah for urgent care and not having to wait until tomorrow!
  • Options
    So glad baby is fine! Whew! Glad you went to urgent care and got checked out 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @wigglyicecream I'm so sorry you went through that this morning and so glad baby is okay! I 100% get feeling connected when you think there may be a loss. If I let myself go gown the rabbit hole of a possible loss, it just devastes me inside. 
  • Options
    @wigglyicecream oh, what a relief.  So glad you went in to get checked!
  • Options
    @wigglyicecream omg I’m so glad you and the baby are ok! Sending lots of love to you both today 💛
  • Options
    @paytonpedro you said exactly how I was feeling. I am so glad baby is perfect in there @wigglyicecream but I know that must have been so awful. 
    Pregnancy Ticker

5.5.16 | 8.14.17 | 1.30.19
  • Options
    @wigglyicecream definitely not a fun game. But like you mentioned, has also made me more grateful for this baby. 
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    @wigglyicecream so glad things are good. I have a SCH I’ve had a lot of bright red bleeding twice so far, the last time with a clot the size of a golf ball. It’s the scariest thing ever seeing blood during pregnancy, it plays so much on your emotions and your mind. I pray for a successful rest of your pregnancy 💕
  • Options
    @amberrmariee20 has your SCH healed yet? What has OBGYN done for treatment? They told me at Urgent care it’s 3cm which sounds small but not compared to baby at 11 weeks which is only a cm and change bigger. This is terrifying and I’m so lucky to have this group and other moms that are or have gone through it. 
  • Options
    @hola_knotties Wow! Welcome back, and that is such a bizarre story! I have no idea what went on at that first ultrasound but I'm sure I would have been suspicious with that size measurement knowing that was the right age/size for ovulation. I'm sorry you had to go through all that anxiety and I'm happy your baby is doing well!!
  • Options
    Welcome back @hola_knotties wow what a roller coaster!! That’s crazy, in the best way possible. So glad your baby is looking wiggly and healthy! 
  • Options
    @hola_knotties that is a roller coaster! I am so glad you followed up with a second ultrasound at a different place. Congratulations!
  • Options
    @hola_knotties I am so sorry you went through that but I am so glad to have you back and that baby is healthy!! 
  • Options
    @hola_knotties My goodness, how much you've been through! So so so happy to hear that all is well with your baby and you are back with us! 
  • Options
    Wow that’s wild @hola_knotties! So glad to hear baby is ok, hoping the rest of pregnancy goes smoothly for you 
    Me: 35  H: 35
    Married: 4/5/13

"You know that place between sleep and awake, 
    that place where you can still remember dreaming?
    That's where I will always love you.  
    That's where I'll be waiting."
    ~Peter Pan 

*TW*
    BFP #1: 11/12/12  EDD 7/25/13 Baby boy: 7/27/13
    BFP #2: 10/29/17   MMC dx @ 9 weeks
    BFP #3: 2/2/18 MC 2/7/18
    BFP #4: 3/2/18  MC 3/9/18
    RPL testing and hysteroscopy: all normal
    BFP #5: 4/1/18 MMC dx @ 14 weeks ----> genetically normal girl  :'(
    Hysteroscopy to remove scar tissue 9/28
    BFP #6 11/5/18 EDD 7/20/19  <3  Rainbow baby girl born 7/23/19 
    BFP #7 12/8/2021 EDD 8/22/2022 
  • Options
    @hola_knotties what a rollercoaster! I'm so sorry you had to go through that experience, but I'm so glad that baby is well and you're rejoining us. 
  • Options
    @hola_knotties I’m so happy that this turned out to be a positive story and you have a happy healthy wiggly baby. I have no idea what could have happened at the first US and I’m glad you went and got a second one. Welcome back to our group 
  • Options
    @hola_knotties WOW! I am so glad that all is well with your wiggly babe. I can't believe how 'off' the first US was. So glad to have you back. 
  • Options
    @hola_knotties Holy crap! What a crazy ride! So happy to see you back and that all is well with your baby. 💗
  • Options
    @wigglyicecream my first bleed was December 16th, my 2nd bleed was Jan 9. They told me Jan 9th it got smaller then it was on December 16th, but still there. They told me it wasn’t a big bleed, they never gave me measurements though. But I also passed a lot of blood and a clot on Jan 9th. The doctor said it can be common for hematomas to pass clots, especially if they were bigger, and are shrinking. As far as I know I still have my hematoma, I was told no strenuous activity, no working out anymore, and no heavy lifting. They said I can still have sex, and normal everyday activities. I see my doctor on the 27th I’m going to see if she will send me for another ultrasound to check the size or lack there of (praying) .
  • Options
    @hola_knotties welcome back !!!! So glad all is good !!
  • Options
    @hola_knotties Welcome back! I'm so happy to hear your good news. I hope you get to take some time to yourself after what sounds to be a very stressful experience!
  • Options
    I am still reeling, but I have to say goodbye to you all now. At my 10 week intake on Tuesday they couldn’t find a heartbeat on the Doppler and my worst fears were confirmed by ultrasound this morning. When this is over they want to do some recurrent loss testing, but I really don’t know if we’ll try again.

I have loved interacting and sharing this pregnancy experience with all of you. I wish you all have the very best possible pregnancy and delivery. You are all amazing mamas and mamas-to-be. I want to especially thank the PGAL ladies who have been so incredibly supportive. 

Question for those that have been in this place before and who feel comfortable sharing: We are expecting 2 feet of snow tomorrow so nothing can be done right now, but I’ll need to make a decision early next week, how did you decide between misoprosol and D&C? I’m torn, but I know I can’t wait for it to happen naturally. Thanks a lot. 
  • Options
    @maggiemadeit oh sweetheart I am so sorry to hear this. I was hoping for different news for you at the US. I’m heartbroken for you and you will be missed in our group. Both of my losses as soon as I found out I immediately opted for a D&C. i didn’t like the idea of still having a baby inside of me that wasn’t growing anymore. The thought was too much. Please feel free to pm me if you need any additional support through this. 
  • Options
    anniemarie887anniemarie887 member
    edited January 2022
    hi @maggiemadeit i'm so sorry, please feel free to DM me. i had my d&c on Monday. i've been checking on this board and my heart breaks for you.

i will put in spoiler for those who do not want to read, TW D&C:
    that being said, i adore my OB and truly trust her with my life. i think you've had a child before? vaginally? when she went over misoprostol with me she said that the feedback she gets from patients who have had children vaginally is that it is very painful, and that it is a lot to manage at home. she said most women get to the point with blood where they are debating going to the ER and that does mean it's about to be over, but that's the level of what you are managing at home. it is also 80% effective, anecdotally i have read/heard about a lot of women who go back for their follow up and then still have to get a d&c b/c they didnt pass everything. quite frankly, it just sounds really traumatic. and i have a toddler at home, and i just didn't want that. sadly, my best friend from college had 2 d&c's in 2020, so as much as i never thought i would wind up here i did have her experience in the back of my mind. my practice does d&c's out of the womens' surgical center on the hospital campus, and under general anesthesia. between arrival and surgery it was about 90 mins, about 30 of it i had to do alone, with my husband out in the waiting area - not gonna lie, leaving him was brutal emotionally. every staff person, nurse, anesthesiologist i encountered was nothing but amazing, caring and warm considering the circumstances. from my chart/discharge i was under for about 30 mins total, the nurse held my hand while i cried and then nothing. i had never had anesthesia before, so i was absolutely nervous. about 40 mins after the procedure i was conscious enough to get my phone out and text my husband. he was then brought back to PACU once i was fully awake. i was able to get dressed and about 50 mins later be discharged to home. (so 3.5 hours total.) my OB warned me i would be pretty loopy, i definitely couldn't drive, but was walking with zero issues. we got breakfast, b/c truthfully i was hungry after 12+ hours of no food and i went home and napped. the IV meds wore off later in the evening and i felt sore and had a burning sensation. i actually called the on call OB, and while not on my discharge paperwork this is common due to the antiseptic wash they have to use. i showered and it went down some, felt almost like a UTI feeling. by tuesday midday it was gone. as for recovery, i took it easy tuesday - but didn't even need ibuprofen. my bleeding was very minimal (especially compared to my 5w loss in sept). i had taken off weds as well, b/c my OB warned i might not feel great, but after 48 hours was cleared to exercise... and i felt well enough to ride the peloton weds. as my friend and i talked, and not everyone feels like this, with the d&c it was over. i knew it was over, it wasn't dragging it out. and for me i couldn't handle dragging it out. i needed the physical aspect to be over, so that i can work on the mental aspect. we also submitted for chromosomal testing, and the d&c made that the easiest way to do it. it'll take about 3 weeks to know if there was a chromosomal abnormality, or if we need to investigate a potential issue with me and/or MH. i hope this helps in your decision, sending lots of love your way.

edit to just make a few sentences more concise.
  • Options
    @maggiemadeit I’m so so sorry and was so hoping you would get good news. We’ll miss you and be thinking about you 💕
  • Options
    @maggiemadeit oh my heart is absolutely breaking for you. I am so, so sorry! Please be sure to take care of yourself and take all the help and support offered to you. Sending you the biggest hugs ❤️
  • Options
    @maggiemadeit I'm so so so sorry. Big hugs and take it easy! 
  • Options
    Oh no, @maggiemadeit I'm so, so sorry for your loss. <3
  • Options
    @wigglyicecream that's really thoughtful and sweet of you, thank you. wishing nothing but the best for all of you <3
  • Options
    TW

I’m going to spoiler the details of my two D&Cs

With my first loss I had brown discharge for a few weeks. They got me in for an early US and said I was 6 weeks along and baby had a heart beat. It was more than a week behind but I didn’t know that could be a problem since it was my first pregnancy. The night before my first prenatal appointment I started bleeding red and went to urgent care. They couldn’t find a heartbeat anymore and told me to keep my appointment the next day. At that appointment my OB told me they do low risk D&Cs in the office if it was something I was interested in. I jumped at the chance bc as I said before I didn’t want to be pregnant for one more min. I left that office and went to the other one. They didn’t sedate me, but did numb my cervix and did try procedure. On a scale of 1-10 I would give the discomfort a 7, it was definitely not great but I don’t regret the decision.

My second D&C was a lot more complicated. It came after finding out my baby was ectopic. That one was done under general anesthesia. There’s more to that story but not pertinent.

Either way I would agree with Annie and get a D&C so you don’t have to manage the bleeding at home on top of emotional trauma. 
  • Options
    and_peggyand_peggy member
    edited January 2022
    @maggiemadeit I’m devastated to hear this. Please know you have a special place in our hearts here. Thinking of you as you go through all the physical things, in addition to the emotional aspect.

I took misoprostal for a 12 week loss and it didn’t work. I cramped for a few hours and then nothing happened. I scheduled a d&c and that took care of it. I did have some post d&c complications that landed me in the ER. That said, I would still opt for the d&c again if I had to. The complications were blood clots the size of softballs. So for me, I might  have actually bled out with misoprostal and feel grateful it didn’t work. 

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    @maggiemadeit I am so incredibly sorry for your loss. I'll be sending all the good vibes your way for peace, your mental health, and healing for your family. 

TW - misoprostol experience
    I took misoprostol with my first loss (blighted ovum discovered at 7 weeks, did not pass until 10 weeks). I took it twice and did not pass everything on my own and ended up in the ER to have the rest removed. It was incredibly painful. 

With another loss at 9 weeks last fall my OB wanted to schedule a D&C. I was positive for Covid at the time, so the hospital required me to wait through a quarantine period before scheduling a D&C. I ended up starting the loss at home naturally and then had an emergency D&C at the hospital. 

If you have the option, I would definitely choose a D&C. It is over much more quickly, is more thorough and is less painful.