July 2022 Moms

PGAIF Check-In 11/17

Development GIF on GIFER - by Kelezel

This thread is a place for those of us who've gone through infertility to process all of the complex emotions that come along with being pregnant after that struggle. Feel free to use the format I have below or go freestyle.

IF Diagnosis:

EDD/How far along are you:

FTM/STM/STM+:

What did it take to get here:

Questions/Comments/Thoughts:
*TW* History:
Me: 34 DH: 36 | Together since 2007 | Married July 2016

TTC #1 since 7.2017
Dx: low morph (1%), ANA positive, low decidualization score, high TSH and testosterone, histone antibodies

IUI #1-3 all BFN
IVF #1 | 6.11.19 | 24R, 17M, 15F, 6B, PGT-A tested - 5 normal, 3 girls & 2 boys
FET #1 | 9.10.19 | BFN "I know you, but we've never met. I'm with you, but I don't know your name"
RPL, Receptiva, & ERA testing | all normal/negative, recommended going on gluten and dairy free diet for next FET
FET #2 | 3.31.20 | Opted to cancelled due to pandemic, continued diet and tried naturally over the summer
2nd Opinion with another RE | 8.20.20 | Not immune to measles (received 1 dose); SA results similar to 2 years ago; decided to move forward with FET #2 redo at start of next cycle
Surprise natural BFP! | 9.22.20 | MC 10.23.20 at 8 weeks
TTCAL naturally | starting 11.22.20

Initial consultation with Reproductive Immunologist | 9.14.21
Decidualization score biopsy | 10.1.21 | abnormal - low score of 1; endometrial scratch recommended and progesterone supplementation
Saline sono | 10.15.21 | normal
Bloodwork | 10.21.21 high TSH, high testosterone, positive for anti-nuclear antibodies and histone antibodies, high protein S, multiple genetic mutations
BFP! | 11.3.21 | EDD 7.14.22 B) | biopsy provided same effect as endometrial scratch; added supplemental progesterone and estrogen, prednisone, levothyroxine, and MTX Support to maintain pregnancy
DS born 7.19.22 after induction

TTC #2 begins 6.2023
Consultation with RI | 6.6.23
Saline sono, endometritis biopsy, skin & eye check | all normal
Labs | high TSH, Factor XIII mutation, high %CD56
Follow up | 8.8.23 | prescribed metformin, prednisone, plaquenil, and levothyroxine
Repeat labs after 3 weeks on meds
Follow up | 11.9.23 | Green light!, increase in prednisone, added lovenox
Repeat labs in 8 weeks
Follow up | 1.16.24 | Green light continues
TTC put on pause

Re: PGAIF Check-In 11/17

• IF Diagnosis: PCOS. They couldn't find any other reason, just my PCOS. Nothing is more infuriating than sperm analysis, SIS scans, blood work, etc. to be told "you're young and healthy, idk why you can't get pregnant." My Dr. wasn't convinced I needed fertility meds again since the ectopic was conceived naturally. It was so hard to process and we tried for 2.5 years after my ectopic in 2019 and had hundreds of negative tests.

EDD/How far along are you: I'm 7w5d today, EDD is July 1st. I'm pretty sure I found out the day my egg was fertilized at like 9 DPO/my birthday and clung onto that faint line for dear life. 

FTM/STM/STM+: STM, I have a 6yo daughter who was also conceived on fertility medication due to my lack of ovulation. 3 rounds of Clomid and found out I was pregnant with her on the day of my IF appointment.

What did it take to get here: 1 miscarriage/ectopic, 2.5 years of trying naturally and finally 1 round of Provera to stimulate my period followed by Letrozole in September.

Questions/Comments/Thoughts: All IF journeys is so different, from the extremes to the not so extreme. Regardless, all Infertility always feels extreme. It was so hard hearing friends decide to have a baby, try once or twice, and get pregnant. Or those who've never had a miscarriage after 5 children. I always felt like my body wasn't reliable, but I'm "totally healthy" otherwise. For a bit, I hoped it was my husband who had the issue, but when his sperm came back strong and efficient, it stung that it's my lack of ovulating that's kept us from growing our family for so long. Both of my babies are painfully wanted. We dream everyday of having two kids, but I'm paranoid every single minute of having another miscarriage. I'm more afraid of everything this time around, and I'm not sure how to process it all. 
  • @elmann1 ugh yeah, I had the "all your tests are normal, there's no reason the embryo transfer shouldn't have worked". It's really heartbreaking.

IF Diagnosis: up until recently it was unexplained with low morphology, recent tests show my actual diagnosis is immune system issues preventing implantation - and possibly keeping pregnancies but we don't know yet

EDD/How far along are you: July 14 / 5w6d today

FTM/STM/STM+: FTM

What did it take to get here: oh so much. We did it all. IUIs, IVF with a FET. PGT testing of the embryos. I had a hysteroscopy and polypectomy done after an abnormal saline sono. Did a lining biopsy after the failed FET. At that point everything was normal so my REs recommendation was just to go gluten and dairy free for 3 months before another FET. Covid happened so we paused. A 2nd opinion told me I wasn't immune to measles so I got the MMR vaccine and ended up pregnant that cycle. *tw* ended in MC *end tw* and only this year did I look into the immune system problems. The 2nd biopsy I did in a way counts as an endometrial scratch and we got pregnant again. It's taken nearly 4.5 years to get here.

Questions/Comments/Thoughts: I also struggled a lot with everyone else around me getting pregnant. How unfair it is that they don't have to pay ridiculous amounts of money just to conceive! And knowing my body attacks the embryo it's really hard to be excited and we're really struggling with when will be the right time to tell friends and family. This is a question for STMs.... how long did it take you before you knew you were on the path to a THB? I know this is kind of a PGAL question too. But I imagine it's similar to not truly believe you're pregnant after years and years of never seeing a 2nd line on an HPT.
    *TW* History:

TTC #1 since 7.2017
    Dx: low morph (1%), ANA positive, low decidualization score, high TSH and testosterone, histone antibodies

IUI #1-3 all BFN
    FET #1 | 9.10.19 | BFN "I know you, but we've never met. I'm with you, but I don't know your name"
    RPL, Receptiva, & ERA testing | all normal/negative, recommended going on gluten and dairy free diet for next FET
    FET #2 | 3.31.20 | Opted to cancelled due to pandemic, continued diet and tried naturally over the summer
    2nd Opinion with another RE | 8.20.20 | Not immune to measles (received 1 dose); SA results similar to 2 years ago; decided to move forward with FET #2 redo at start of next cycle

Decidualization score biopsy | 10.1.21 | abnormal - low score of 1; endometrial scratch recommended and progesterone supplementation
    Bloodwork | 10.21.21 high TSH, high testosterone, positive for anti-nuclear antibodies and histone antibodies, high protein S, multiple genetic mutations
    BFP! | 11.3.21 | EDD 7.14.22 B) | biopsy provided same effect as endometrial scratch; added supplemental progesterone and estrogen, prednisone, levothyroxine, and MTX Support to maintain pregnancy

TTC #2 begins 6.2023
    Follow up | 8.8.23 | prescribed metformin, prednisone, plaquenil, and levothyroxine
    Repeat labs in 8 weeks
    TTC put on pause
  • Loading the player...
  • @elmann1 I’m so sorry your doctor put you through that. There’s no reason he shouldn’t have prescribed you meds sooner. That’s just BS if you ask me. I’m right there with you with feeling anxious and afraid of everything this time around. I’m trying to hard just to take one day at a time.

@inthewoods23 Girl. I am so happy to be sharing a BMB with you! You have no idea! I remember when we first interreacted with each other back in 2018, doing our first IUIs. I’m hoping so hard that this is your THB. As for your question. Last time, it took a really long time to believe that this was real. I don’t think I had a sigh of relief until we were out of the first trimester. After the NT scan. And after the NIPT. That’s when I started to feel a little bit more comfortable with the idea. But I really didn’t fully relax until the 20 week anatomy scan and I started feeling kicks. But honestly, as a mother, you’ll never stop worrying about your LOs.

IF Diagnosis: Unexplained

EDD/How far along are you:
    3w5d, whelp, that just made me feel crazy for even posting here lol. It’s still super early but for some reason, I’m feeling confident. Which is unlike me.

FTM/STM/STM+:
    STM, DS is 2yo. It took nearly 2 years and 4 medicated cycles to conceive him.

What did it take to get here:
    We have been trying for just about a year now. We jumped right back to treatment since we knew we had trouble conceiving the first time. We did a couple cycles of letrozole and TI. Then the month off, in-between TI and the start of our first IUI, we fell naturally pregnant. I was testing like I normally do but didn’t see much line progression from day to day. **TW Betas confirmed what I was seeing in the tests, the numbers weren’t rising appropriately. We miscarried at 5w4d TW** We took the next 3 months off to try naturally, since you have an increased chance of conceiving after a MC. But we didn’t see anything. So back to IUIs we went. One right after the other. This was IUI#4. Our clinic has been such a pain to work with. I swore them off after this cycle. And we were likely going to be done with treatment for a good long while too. I’m still in a bit of shock that it worked!

Questions/Comments/Thoughts:
    I’m trying so hard to wait it out for my betas on Friday. Part of me wants to call and reschedule it for tomorrow morning. In fact, I almost drove to the clinic this morning to ask them to run it right then and there. But then I realized that that would make me a crazy person lol. The other part of me just wants to stay blissfully in this happy moment. Gah. I don’t have any more tests either, which is probably a good thing. Because I would be going crazy over analyzing them.

*TW* TTC history
    Me:32 DH:31
    Married: 8/2015

TTC #1: 4/2017
    Testing: HSG, U/S, BW, and DH's SA all normal
    DX: Unexplained
    8/2018: Clomid + TI = BFN
    9/2018: Clomid + TI + Progesterone = BFN
    11/2018: Clomid + IUI + Progesterone = BFN
    12/2018: Letrozole + IUI + Progesterone \\ Cancelled due to cyst
    1/2019: Letrozole + IUI + Progesterone = BFP! \\ EDD Sept 30th, 2019
    10/7/2019: Healthy baby boy!

TTC #2: 12/2020
    2/2021: Letrozole + TI = BFN
    3/2021: Letrozole + TI = BFN
    4/2021: Surprise! Natural BFP! \\ EDD Jan 6th, 2022 \\ Chemical, betas not rising
    8/2021: Letrozole + IUI + Progesterone = BFN
    9/2021: Letrozole + IUI + Progesterone = BFN
    10/2021: Letrozole + IUI + Progesterone = BFN
    11/2021: Letrozole + IUI + Progesterone = BFP! \\ EDD July 29th, 2022

• @elmann1 & @inthewoods23, oph, people lapping you is rough.  My BF and sister each have 3 kids and all of them are like virtually the same age (I think the last one for each is a little further apart, but the first 2 are literally months apart), and both of them were on/had #2 before we hit #1.  

IF Diagnosis: primarily MFI (OAT) + ovulatory dysfunction.   

EDD/How far along are you: 7/15 - 5w5d

FTM/STM/STM+: STM

What did it take to get here:  this time around, an FET, but that's after we put in all the work on the front end.  It took us almost 3 yrs to conceive DS.  With visits with a variety of health professionals before we were told that IVF w/ ICSI was pretty much our only shot.  

Questions/Comments/Thoughts:  Ugh. Just wondering why this process has to suck so much for so long. Like, I feel like after everything we do to get here, once we're here we should get a pass.  Unfortunately, that's not the case for so, so many women who go through IF.

Spoiler for more of my own personal pity party and potential TW

I started having bright red bleeding/spotting today.  Thankfully it's been light so far.  I wasn't feeling any cramping up until recently, and now I'm not sure whether the cramping I'm feeling now is a figment of my imagination or not, so I'm trying to keep calm and not inadvertently cause any symptoms.  I just feel like such an idiot for letting down my guard.  I was feeling so secure with our good betas this time around - we didn't have the same impending doom hanging over our heads like we did for the first 8 weeks with DS - and that feels so idiotic now.  I'm going back in tonight for a follow up beta with another scheduled for Fri and they moved my u/s up to Mon, so hopefully that will provide piece of mind.
  • LJMoon6LJMoon6 member
    edited November 2021

@zwink1

Spotting can be so scary. Big big hugs! I know it doesn’t help at all but I’ll say it anyways, spotting in early pregnancy can be super common. I had spotting with my first and it ended up being from the progesterone suppositories. I’m happy they’re getting you in for repeat betas and moving your US up. I’m sending good energy your way.

edit to add spoiler
    *TW* TTC history

4/2021: Surprise! Natural BFP! \\ EDD Jan 6th, 2022 \\ Chemical, betas not rising

• @LJMoon6, thank you for the hugs/Thoughts!  It seems to have stopped so I'm hopeful it's totally normal run of the mill cervical bleeding. 

@inthewoods23, to your question, I don't think I really felt secure in a THB until after the anatomy scan, and even then I was still on pretty high alert worried something would go wrong - which only amplified when he started wiggling around in there and I got nervous when he went quiet for too long.  I feel like IF by default gives you an overly anxious response to pregnancy because you're so used to everything going wrong you keep waiting for the other shoe to drop.  
  • @inthewoods23. To answer your question, it has evolved over time. I my first pregnancy, we had a slow heartbeat at 7 week ultrasound, and then no heartbeat at 8 weeks. So of course I was terrified about that first ultrasound with my daughter. She ended up having a hb of 102 or something like that-- normal but on the low end. I was on edge until I saw her again at my 10 week appointment. I literally burst into tears on the table when I heard the heartbeat. From that point on, I basically believed it. My last mc, though, came after (2!) healthy heartbeats at 8 weeks-- I found out at 11.5 weeks at my first MFM appointment. SO with this one, I don't know. I think it's not one moment-- every time you pass another test (beta, hb, NIPT, anatomy), it gets a little more real. In the second tri a bunch of things come together-- you start to look pregnant, you usually feel better, and you start to feel movement. That combined with the anatomy scan really cements it, I think, at least for me. 

@zwink1 I'm sorry about the bleeding-- and I don't think you are "idiotic" for being optimistic. You got a really promising beta, and it's reasonable to assume you are, in fact, pregnant. Bleeding can be really normal, and it's also possible that bleeding + high beta might mean a vanishing twin? My memory is that you only transferred one, but they can split. Either way-- I think the first tri is almost always a roller coaster. (I describe it as "alternative waves of nausea and anxiety")
    TTC History
    TTC #1 Sep 2017-Sep 2018 
    BFP 11/30/2017 | MMC 12/31/2017
    BFP 6/22/2018 | CP 6/27/2018
    BFP 10/5/2018 | EDD 6/14/2019
    Baby girl born 6/19/19

TTC #2 May 2020-November 2021
    BFP 7/18/2020 | MonoDi Twins | MMC 9/10/2020
    BFP 11/7/2020 | CP 11/9/2020
    RE Consult January 2021 | Dx "borderline DOR"/RPL
    IVF with PGT:
    Standard Antagonist:
    ER #1 3/27/2021 7R | 5M | 3F | 2B | 1 PGT-A Normal, 1 low-level mosaic
    ER #2 4/22/2021 10R | 7M | 3F | 2B | 0 normal, 2 aneuploid
    ER #3 5/19/2021 2R | 1M | 0F
    Estrogen Priming Antagonist:
    ER #4 7/10/2021 5R | 4M | 3F | 1B | 1 PGT-A Normal
    Duostim  (Standard Antagonist):
    ER #5 9/22/2021 13R | 11M | 8F | 5B | 2 PGT-A Normal, 1 low-level mosaic, 2 aneuploid
    ER #6 10/9/2021  9R | 6M | 4 F | 1B | 1 aneuploid
    FET #1  11/5/2021 | EDD 7/24/2022
    Baby boy born 7/19/22

TTC #3 since May 2023 (ntnp)
    IVF Started Fall 2023 (Standard Antagonist)
    ER #7 10/6/2023 | 9R | 6M | 5F | 3B | 2 aneuploid, 1 high-level mosaic
    ER #8 10/31/2023 | 5R | 4M | 3F | 1B | 1 PGT-A Normal
    FET #2 11/27/23 | CP (bHCG = 8)
    FET #3 planned Jan 2024

• Thanks @bumblebee0210. I guess it sort of goes back to inthewoods question.  And you're right about it being a roller coaster, it seems like if it's not one thing it's another!

Beta from last night came back without cause for concern, so we're sticking with the plan of checking it again Fri to see where it goes.  
  • cmhmecmhme member
    edited November 2021
    IF Diagnosis: Can I be sarcastic? Old, dusty eggs. Technically, low AMH.

EDD/How far along are you: 7 weeks tomorrow

FTM/STM/STM+: STM

What did it take to get here: See below but short story is donor eggs. This morning at the Dr office, DH goes "wow you have a thick file!" Um yes. Its been a long road. Luckily like @zwink1 says the hard part was earlier so this round was only FET.

Questions/Comments/Thoughts: Like @LJMoon6 says I think the hardest part of IF is how analytical we become about all the numbers and each step of the process. I freaked out after my second blood draw because the nurse said something about the number being a LITTLE high. He said nothing to concerned about but of course I googled all the things and worried another three days until my next appt. I wish I could just sit back and enjoy complaining about the symptoms instead of having to be so thankful we made it this far. Its a lot of emotion. 

@bumblebee0210 it becomes more and more real as you pass each milestone. The heartbeat is what I find the most reassuring.
    Our Journey:
    Me: 40
    TTC since 2017
    3/18-9/18- IUI's
    11/18- IVF #1
    1/19- IVF #2
    8/19- DE Cycle #1- 5 PGS tested normal
    9/19- FET #1- SUCCESS! May 2020
    10/21- FET #2- SUCCESS! July 2022
  • @LJMoon6 I know I'm always like omg look at all the people lapping me!! haha I can laugh at that now, but it did really suck starting a year or so ago. So excited we're both here!

@zwink1 I definitely threw my phone across the room when I got my sister's text with my niece holding/wearing a big sister shirt. That stung so hard! But my 2nd niece is my birthday buddy who couldn't wait another freaking 24 hours to actually have the same birthday lol. I'll take a day apart though. It's fun. BTW I laugh every time you write OAT in your IF diagnoses because it reminds me of oat milk haha. I had to look it up once what it actually meant.

@cmhme what's IF without some sarcasm and humor? Blood work is the worst because you have such a sense of dread over what your numbers will be. The nurses are never helpful! My last pregnancy that *do I need to tw this in this thread?* ended in a MC *end tw* my first HCG was only 15. The stupid nurse is basically telling me it's likely a chemical but the following 2 checks it doubled as it should. Nobody apparently cared when I tried to tell them I ovulated super late that cycle so while I should have been around 100 for being 4w, I didn't ovulate until CD21, not 14.

@bumblebee0210 I think you're right about it evolving. That's probably how I will feel. When I go in for my US on Tuesday next week if there's a stronger HB and I'm actually measuring more on time I'm going to feel so much better. Especially since I should have had all that done this week but couldn't because of my covid quarantine!
    *TW* History:

TTC #1 since 7.2017

IUI #1-3 all BFN

TTC #2 begins 6.2023
    Repeat labs in 8 weeks
    TTC put on pause
  • @zwink1 I’m glad your beta looks good and the spotting has slowed down (stopped?). I need to take a lesson from my own advice to you because now I’m spotting and freaking out. Why can’t this be easy!?

@cmhme I’m sorry that what the nurse said made you go down a rabbit hole. I swear if it’s not one thing to worry about it’s another. I’m glad the third beta came back just fine.

@inthewoods Oh girl. I’m so sorry. I hesitated so much coming back to TTGP because of that. I think that’s probably why my participation sucked so much.

*TW* TTC history

• @LJMoon6 I've heard that from quite a few people. I think it sucked most because I wasn't doing anything at the time. Once I got on the RI bandwagon I felt like I was making progress and was bothered less by old friends coming back.
    *TW* History:

TTC #1 since 7.2017

IUI #1-3 all BFN

TTC #2 begins 6.2023
    Repeat labs in 8 weeks
    TTC put on pause
  • @inthewoods23, I gave up writing all of that out real quick because that word is like 75 letters long.  But I also think of oat milk every time!  We were out in public when my sister told me about #2.  I mentioned something offhand about our upcoming IF testing/treatment, turned around to look at something, and by the time I turned back she was balling.  It caught me totally off guard (in more ways than one) and I had no idea how to react. It was a definite WTF moment.  On the one hand, I appreciated her being that upset about upsetting me.  On the other, I was so not prepared for that in public.  

@cmhme, I don't think they get how much their off the cuff comments about a minor concern is going to send people dealing with IF down a rabbit hole.  I mean, really, you're dealing with a population of people that are already hyper aware of their situation.  

Oh no @LJMoon6, I hope it turns out to be nothing serious. I'll be sending you all of my calming thoughts since I'm definitely not doing a good job of using them myself!

AFM - The bright red stuff stopped, still a little darker spotting, but that's slowing down too and my repeat betas have been okay, so I'm hopeful the u/s on Monday will be fine.