January 2022 Moms

Weekly Randoms 9/20

How are we all doing today?

I'm Boo today. Totally struggling. My 2 year old is driving me up the wall with his nighttime antics. He figured out the "I have to potty" loophole to get out of bed a million times during the night. Dude, you do not have to poop 8 times a night, I'm sorry. And the only way to keep him in bed (at least some of the time) is to keep his light on, but then I feel like when he wakes up in the middle of the night, he's way less likely to stay in bed because it's so bright in there. He did this at 1:30 this morning - got up to pee, then wanted me to keep his light on. Thankfully he did stay in bed, but what was I to do? Watch his monitor until he's asleep, then turn off his light? I opted to just try to sleep right away and pray he stays asleep until morning. No such luck - kid was up at 4:30. Meanwhile, that 1:30 wake up seemingly woke up the baby, so I just felt incessant kicking for an hour while I tried to fall asleep. Ugh. 

So I bought a Hatch Rest nightlight/sound machine - anyone have one of these? We don't need the sound, but I need to take his ceiling light out so he can't have light blazing all night, but he seems to need a little more light than his nightlight gives out currently. Plus maybe the "ok to wake" clock aspect of it might keep him in bed until the light turns green? We had a different ok to wake clock for our older kid, which worked on him for maybe 10 days, and then he started ignoring it. Anyway. I'm desperate for any advice from anyone else who has been through this. How do you keep the kid in the bed?

Re: Weekly Randoms 9/20

• @Lisa3379 I don't have a Hatch but I registered for one and hope someone gets it for me! I am sorry you're having sleep issues with the 2-year old - although I am 31 and I still have sleep issues. Do you have a "sticker" system or something to encourage/motivate good behavior? Like, he gets a sticker every time he stays in bed through the night and when he gets 10 (or whatever), he gets a prize? 

I have a very busy week between being in the office and actual social events (all vaxxed/masked). It's like 2019 again! 
  • @fifilala516 I think I'll try that too. That worked really well with my older kid, but threatening to take things away worked with him, too. This kid? I've threatened to take everything important to him away (and have for short spans of time) and he doesn't seem to care. Like this morning, he didn't get to do his ABC Mouse on his iPad. He woke up and one of the first things he said was "I don't get iPad today!" Like he was proud of it.  :/  

But yay for your social events! We have a party to go to this weekend - my husband's friend from college is turning 40. I probably won't know anyone there besides the friend and his wife, but it'll just be nice to get out of this house. 
  • Loading the player...
  • @lisa3379 we use a different “ok to wake” light for my son and it is life changing. It took for dang ever to get the idea to stick, but now he’s almost 4 and he does so well with it. It took a looooooot of repetition and strictly enforcing the rules to get to this point but 10000% worth it.  My 19 month old on the other hand is a monster and sleeps terribly. 

@fifilala516 yay for social events!!

We have been trying to squeeze all the things in before my husband is gone again and I underestimated how busy that would feel. Between feeling like I’m going non stop and my daughter not sleeping well, I am done in. But we at least are getting a few activities in and he should be back in time for Halloween. So that’s a plus!
  • My kid stayed in his bed all night! The Hatch was delivered right as we were putting him down, and we didn’t deal with the “ok to wake” part yet, I figure we’ll add that when we get some continuous sleep under our belts. But he chose a color and stayed in his bed until 5:30! Not a great time to get up, but I’ll take it! 

I’m procrastinating scheduling my glucose test. I’m in my window of time, but it is just so unpleasant, and I’m so hungry in the mornings that I dread fasting. I need to get to the lab first thing in the morning or something… I also hope I don’t have to chill in a packed lab waiting room for all that time. 
  • @Lisa3379 we use the Hatch for my 2-year-old.  But we just moved to a toddler bed two weeks ago so I can't speak to it too much.  DS definitely understands the light and waits until it turns green, then he moves to the edge of the bed and still just waits for me to come get him...we lucked out with him so far.  But every night I repeat "stay in bed until the light turns green" just to reinforce the knowledge.  I hope the light continues to help!! Also, are you doing a 1 hr Glucose? my doctor doesn't do fasting for that one--just don't eat frosted flakes for breakfast basically is what they tell us.  I did an early test at 12 weeks i think and napped during the hour wait :smiley: it was awesome.    
  • @blackhottamales That's what my kid did for awhile - just laid in his bed until I noticed he was awake, then I'd talk to him through the monitor and tell him to get up. But since we're trying to get him out of his nighttime diapers, I told him that it was ok to get up and go potty if he needed to, just go back to bed when he's done... well, something clicked inside him and he figured saying "I have to go potty" was a fun loophole to getting out of bed. That and I think he all of a sudden became scared in the dark, which is super weird because he and his brother loved playing in the dark forever! And my test is a 2 hour one where I have to fast for 10-12 hours before  :s You're lucky you got to do a quick one! 
  • Y'all are making me nervous to move our son into a bed. He's still in a crib and has never tried to get out of it or anything, but the bed will be so muchasier for bedtime books. Currently he and I sit in the chair and read his books....the bump is getting in the way and it's not comfy anymore. 
    Guh. 
    And we need to potty train soon. I'm not doing 2 in diapers. 
    I ordered Oh Crap, and I think it gets delivered today. 
  • @sarah_is_pregnant we did both on the same weekend  :open_mouth: surprisingly went well.  We aren't nighttime potty training.  I'm not doing that for a long time, but DS was ready for the daytime.  (we didn't do Oh Crap, but i've heard great things) The first day he peed his pants 3 or 4 times and then hasn't had an accident since.  But we are lucky because he is in the potty training room at daycare so they all cheer for each other and it makes it easier at home.  He has had some dirty clothes from school but only because he jumps up while still peeing from excitement from everyone clapping for him  :).  Good luck!!
  • @sarah_is_pregnant Good luck! I was scared for both transitions but sometimes these kiddos can surprise you 🙂 we also used Oh Crap, with some modifications (we did small bribes for a couple weeks, didn’t try night potty training for about 6 months in) and the basic method worked so well for us. 

This may be a UO, and trust me, when kids are potty trained it’s pretty rad, but I didn’t mind having 2 in diapers for awhile (although my first was only 22 months when the 2nd kid was born). There’s something very convenient about relying on diapers when you’re out, especially with a super young baby that takes so much of your attention. Worrying about accidents can be so stressful! But yeah, bottom line, if your kid is ready for potty training, then that’s awesome! And way more important than your personal convenience I suppose 🙂
  • @Lisa3379 i'm the same way.  i don't mind diapers at all.  It was more driven by his daycare and he kept talking about the kids in his new room going on the potty.  We are going to try and go to an art fair on Saturday and DS will be wearing diapers.  I am scared to death about when he's actually potty trained and we have to find a public restroom.
  • @blackhottamales It's so hard to figure out what to do during that first month or so of potty training, because you don't want to reverse progress by putting them in diapers, but you're deathly afraid of any sort of issue where a potty isn't immediately available to them, haha! And yeah - day care was so helpful with potty training! In our 2-yr-old room, they have potties pretty out in the open so my kids were exposed to seeing their peers go potty all day. 
  • Passed my glucose test! It actually wasn't too bad - get the lemon lime drink if you can, it was like uncarbonated too-syrupy Sprite, but yeah, not bad. Listened to a podcast and zoned out, it was kinda relaxing, haha. 

What are we all doing this weekend? My husband is going to Las Vegas today for a day (who goes for just a day?!) with a couple friends, but luckily my MIL was coming into to town anyway today to help for the weekend. We have a birthday party to go to last night, and I'm pretty meh about it - I don't know the dude all that well, let alone anyone else that will probably be there. And I have no clue what to wear. But at least it will be outside for the most part I think.