March 2022 Moms
Options

The Great Name Thread!

Can we start a name thread??? Yes. Very selfish reasons for starting this! I thought we could talk all things names, ask for suggestions, try things out on eachother, etc. I know it's early but we didn't name DD1 until she was already a month old ...so I feel like I need to get a jump on it. 

So, anyone want to talk names with me???

Re: The Great Name Thread!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    @Panaceia Oren jumped off the page at me, obsessed! Plus M N O
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    @Panaceia oh my gosh I love Iliya... It was one that I proposed last pregnancy!

You have such a lovely list of names! Miro and Luka are also 2 that jump out at me. But I love so many of them!
    Ha every time I look back at your list, I find more I like haha.
  • Options
    @kgg2241 ooo I love Mara! (In my head I'm pronouncing it Maa-raa. Is that correct?)
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    We have probably figured out our boy name. the middle names with be after the grandfathers.

Girl name though... DH has agreed to the name I have loved for 15+ years as the first name.
    But we are trying to figure out middle names. 
    In his culture, kids get multiple middle names, and they are supposed to be meaningful.

TW* (for remainder of post)- loss
    DS for example, has 2 middle names. 1 is the name we gave to the second baby we lost, the other is DHs name.

I'm not keen on giving baby 3 middle names. But we have 3 to decide between. (I know it's weird. Be honest but Don't judge too harshly please😅).

1. Hope- the name we (both individually) gave to the first baby we lost. (I was supposed to be infertile, and she gave us hope that one day, we could have our miracle)

2. Anna- 2.5ish years ago, our close friends told us that their son used to talk about how he loved to see Anna every time they got together with us. He told them that Anna was our baby, and that she was his little sisters age (I had been due the week after his sister was due). I was still grieving, and it stuck with me.

3. Glorelle- don't judge too much 😅 it's a mix of our mothers names. DH originally vetoed it last pregnancy (I had proposed it as a joke,) but threw it back in the mix suddenly now. It's important to him that baby gets named after a family member, and we certainly can't pick just 1 grandmother, and I am ADAMANT that I do NOT want baby having my first name as a middle name.

Hope has to be 1 of the middle names.
    I think all 3 is far too much of a mouthful.

The first name is Adalynn, and our last name is 2 syllables

I feel like Adalynn Anna Hope -- flows ok?
    Adalynn Glorelle Hope --?
    Adalynn Hope Glorelle --?
  • Options
    PanaceiaPanaceia member
    edited September 2021
    @kgg2241 @goldfishcraker Thank you guys! I am seriously shortening/revising my list based on your comments!!!!

@gembud Right? I secretly went looking for an O name for exactly that reason 🤣

@kgg2241 LOVE your list too ❤ Willa was one that we talked about today and had on our girl list (my grandmother's name was Willamina so it would have been a tribute to her:) and Anna was my other grandmother's name (we used Ana as a middle name for our oldest but it was almost what we used as her first name:). Love your top choices so far! I am also drawn to girl names that end in an "a"...both of my girls' names end with "a" as do their middle names...and their last name too actually!

If this were a girl the middle name would have been Ara. I'm sad I won't get to use it because I love it (pronounced Are-ah). I really wanted Via as a first name (Vee-a) meaning life, but SO was worried there would be too many associations with the trains:/ He really wanted Tarra (Tah-ruh..but roll the r a bit...no one would ever pronounce it the way he was imagining) but I have bad associations with a Tara so that was a nope for me. Other girl names we discussed in the past are Petra, Iva (Ee-va), Saya (S-eye-uh), Vera, Olya, Brija (Br-ee-a), Lilja (Lill-ee-a), Sanya, Maya at least those are the ones I remember. I would have used Ara as a first name but SO wanted it as a middle name.

ETA I suggested the name Caius for a boy last year and SO vetoed it immediately 🤣
  • Options
    @goldfishcraker I LOVE the name Adalynn! I really wanted Aralynn with DD1 but never suggested it:/ Everyone in my family has 2 middle names so I don't judge at all! I thought it was super strange at first when we only gave the girls one middle name.
    I think Adalynn Anna Hope or Adalynn Hope Glorelle flow the best. I actually love all these names and love the meaning attached to each one. Sentimentality would probably push me towards Adalynn Anna Hope ❤
  • Options
    EEEK! So excited for this one! 
    @jessier19 LOVE Gwyneth and Ellory!

@wolfey13 Bea and Ginny are so cute!

@Panaceia My faves are Silas, Luka, and Lev. If you don't mind sharing, what's the background? those names sound eastern European to me. I have friends who have Ukrainian heritage and their son is Maksim which i like a lot, Maks for short. 

@kgg2241 i love your whole list lol. I absolutely adore the name Cora, it would definitely be on our list, but it's too close to my sister's name. I like Greta a lot too! I hope it gets in the running!

@goldfishcraker i actually think Glorelle is pretty! And i think naming the baby after one you've lost is a sweet reminder of their sibling. My 2 top fave are Adalynn Anna Hope or Adalynn Glorelle Hope. 

Ok so if it's a boy I think we are set on 2 choices. Either Harrison Daniel  or Oliver Henry (all family names). I love Harrison, but i am concerned about nicknames as I don't know what he would be called other than Harry, which i don't love.

We are a little more stuck on girl names. With DD we named her for both of our grandmas and her first name has a ton of nicknames. Now, we are struggling more. I really want to go with family names because DD's is such a strong connection. Middle name will be Ann or Anne (i like it with the E, but in my family there's typically no E). Options for now are: 

Roslyn (roz for short? i can only think of monsters inc.)
    Eleanor (nora for short, DD's first name also starts with an E)
    Margaret (maggie)
    Matilda (millie or tillie)
    Olive (DH loves Olivia but i feel like it's too popular)

• Options
    @morgantu You guessed it:) Eastern European. Ukrainian and Serbian. I love Maksim and am adding it to my list ❤ Our bunny is Maximus (we call him Maxi for short...) but that's different enough....right? Plus I love the name Max for short! Also, nickname wise, you could go for Arri with Harrison if you wanted? I had a student who went by this:) And I had a Roslyn who went by Rolly...so lots of options for nicknames:) I love your name choices! We are also struggling with trying to fit in some family connections with this name. We used our favourite family boy names on our girls...so we might end up dropping the family connection for this one. Plus I refuse to let SO name him after himself (which he suggested yesterday) so I'm trying really hard to find something I love that I can get SO on board with:/ 
  • Options
    @goldfishcraker I am very anti-made up names 😬 I prefer simply Adalynn Hope. 

Names have always been super easy for us (thankfully).

We already have: Eileen Margarette (NN Maggie), Tallula Jean (NN Lula, Lu, Luey), Georgina Rebecca (NN George, Geo), and our angel, Dorothy Joanne (NN Dottie Jo).
    So for this babe, if a boy will be Reuben Aaron (NN will likely be Ben or Benny) and if a girl will be Charlotte Aaron (NN Charlie). Lu's middle name is the same as mine and Aaron is MHs middle name. 

BFP 3/21/2020!  OMG We're having TWINS! 4/17/2020
    --------------------------------
    LO arrived 11/9/2018!  We have a baby!
    Me: 33 | DH: 41
    Married: March 2016
    TTC #1/IUD out January 2017
    PCOS dx January 2018
    Medicated cycle 2.5mg Letrozole CD3-7 February 2018
    BFP 3/10/2018! 
    -------------------------------

TTGP December Siggy Co-Winner: Favorite Moments from Holiday Movies/TV 
    TTGP October Siggy Winner: Animals in Costume 

• Options
    I LOVE THIS THREAD SO MUCH! ❤️❤️❤️

DS’s name is Truman Buck, both are family names with lots of sentimental feelings associated. We call him Tru sometimes, but mostly just Truman.

For baby girl our favorites tend to have family connection too:
    Robin Charlotte
    Johanna Jane
    Isabel Jane
    Isadora Sue
    Penelope Jane (Penny) 

Jane is my Mamaw’s middle name and it’s such an easy middle name, it’s easy to tack on anything. My faves right now are Robin Charlotte (might call her Birdie to differentiate from my mom, Robin) and Johanna Jane.

• Options
    @rachelredhead I love all your names and adore Johanna Jane!!!
  • Options
    @lurvleybunchococonuts I never thought of ben as a nickname for reuben (but duh!) I love ben and benny! 

@rachelredhead ohhhh Robin Charlotte <3<3 also love birdie bigtime. My DD's nickname is along those lines and just adore it
  • Options
    Love this thread!!!! I could honestly look up baby names all day and night.

Everyone has such good name ideas! I think we are pretty set but still open if anything else pops up before delivery.

Girl middle name will be Ann after DH’s mom who passed away when he was young. With that in mind I was drawn to 2 syllable first names as it would flow so well with the middle name. Could even use both first and middle names when calling her.
    Our short list also includes:
    Gemma (DH’s favorite)
    Olive (my favorite)
    Finley
    Freya
    Winnie
    Bridget
    Sawyer
    (Finley, Freya, and Sawyer have been tucked away on a favorite names list for years now.)

I’m hesitant to share our boy name because I am so set on using it but also keep getting weird feelings that everyone who hears it will hate it and think we’re crazy for naming our son that. DH isn’t totally sold on it yet so I guess I could be talked out of it. I need your honest opinions!

Boone Michael Owen (day to day we’d call him “Bo”)

DS has two middle names as well, each with a familial meaning. This name would be the same. Michael after my first cousin who is also my best friend and only 2 months younger than I am. Owen is DH middle name and a name I absolutely love but DH shot it down as a first name.

Short list of other boy names we like are:
    Lincoln
    Milo
    Miles
    Walker
    Elijah
  • Options
    @Panaceia so many names I love! For the middle name, is the “c” a hard C sound or soft c sound? “Aka or Asa?” Or maybe neither. I think its pronunciation will change my opinion of the first name.

@kgg2241 love all your names! Greta was on my baby name list for years. DH quickly shot it down though. Gentry was another one I absolutely loved that immediately got vetoed.

@goldfishcraker love Adalynn Anna Hope ❤️ And the meanings are so special.

@morgantu well obviously I love the name Olive as well as Ann 😂 I have never considered Matilda but love the sound of it and loooove the nickname possibilities.

@lurvleybunchococonuts all of your children have beautiful names. Love Rueben/Benny so much!

@rachelredhead Penelope Jane is exceptionally adorable and Penny is a great NN. I have heard of parents using Poppy as a NN for Penelope as well.
  • Options
    @night_nurse I like Boone 😍 and my stepdaughter has two middle names. Eileen Margarette Lynn technically. But we only break that out when she's REALLY in trouble 😂😂😂 I love the name Olive for a girl. Sadly MH would (and has) veto'd it in the past lol.

BFP 3/21/2020!  OMG We're having TWINS! 4/17/2020
    LO arrived 11/9/2018!  We have a baby!
    Me: 33 | DH: 41
    Married: March 2016
    TTC #1/IUD out January 2017
    PCOS dx January 2018
    Medicated cycle 2.5mg Letrozole CD3-7 February 2018
    BFP 3/10/2018! 
    -------------------------------

TTGP December Siggy Co-Winner: Favorite Moments from Holiday Movies/TV 
    TTGP October Siggy Winner: Animals in Costume 

• Options
    This thread is awesome!

@jessier19 I love those names together! Casper, Paloma, and Esme are also beautiful names.
    @wolfey13 Loving Enzo, Lola, and Virginia (Ginny)!
    @Panaceia What a great list! Maksim is a wonderful name! I like the meaning of Miro, and Oren is a name I haven't heard before, but really like!
    @kgg2241 Willa and Greta are names you don't hear much, and I love the uniqueness of it. 
    @goldfishcrakerAdalynn Anna Hope - also agree that these names go well together!
    @morgantu Oliver Henry sounds so good together! I love the names Matilda and especially, Olive!
    @lurvleybunchococonuts I love how your incorporated your names in your children's names
    @rachelredhead Robin Charlotte! I love that Birdie is a nickname - so cute!
    @night_nurse I'm in love with Olive and Sawyer as girl names! Boone Michael Owen is such a GREAT name, and definitely flows well.

We are a "J" family, so our son and future kids will all begin with J. I guess it makes it easier to narrow it down, huh? We did not share our son's name until birth since it's a unique name. We named him Jetson Jordan, JJ for short. We only told friends and family it began with a J, and they could guess all they want! 

Not sure if we're having a boys, girls, or boy/girl yet, so these are the names that are on my list so far:
    Boy: Jonah or Jonas, Jasper, Julian
    Girl: Julianna, Josephine (NN Josie), Jocelyn

• Options
    @night_nurse We're not totally sold on the middle name yet, and if we went with that (after some discussion last night) we would use Asa (Ace-ah) instead of Aca. SO started a stupid tradition with the girls' muddle names that we were trying to mimic with this one (the girls both have A_a names as middle names - Ana and Ava - so we were I think stupidly trying to find a boy name to continue this). I might look for 3 letter names (like Eli for example) instead, or we just might scrap it all together at this point. ALSO I LOVE your names list!!! All of your boy names were on my list with DD1 before we knew she was a girl. Milo and Miles we can't use now because we have a Mila (although they were my top 2 choices before), we might end up using Eli as a middle name this time, and SO vetoed the others because they don't really match with our girl names which are more eastern European:/ And I love Boone! Not common and so cool!!! I don't think you can go wrong with any of those choices!
  • Options
    @jennifer_m21 we are also a J family, but I'm having a lot of trouble finding J boy names I like...  I already have a Jacob
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

• Options
    night_nursenight_nurse member
    edited September 2021
    @lurvleybunchococonuts i love the 2 middle name pattern. DS is Gavin Joshua Price. He gets Gavin Joshua when in small trouble and all 3 names when it’s big trouble 😂

@Panaceia i love the A_a middle name trend and Asa is a great boy middle name. Considering that as a middle name my fave first names from your list are Alexius, Iliya, Sandor, and Luka. They are all so unique in the context of him growing up in the Western hemisphere. You have too many good ones to choose from!

@jennifer_m21 love all J names ❤️ Josephine would have been Gavin’s name had he been a girl with nn Josie or Posey/Posie. Lots of good J name choices!
  • Options
    Just talked to my mom and got some good family options from my side. Adding to my list: 

Alice
    Caroline
    Willa 
    Emmaline
  • Options
    @morgantu More beautiful names I'm! I'm in love with Willa. It is one I would have loved to use ❤ Also loving Emmaline!!! So pretty.
  • Options
    We have pretty much settled on names, we wanted to find something that had a nice flow with our DS Austin's name.

Olivia for a girl, Weston for a boy. (I also REALLY loved the name Walter, Wally for a nickname but that was a hard no)

I think we are committed but middle names is where we struggle. They have to be family names per SO request. We have...

Arlene or Jean for a girl, and so far we like David for a middle name but I'm not 100% sold. 

Naming a person you haven't met is a serious struggle. My vote us we pick a few and wait until we see him/her to make a solid decision. 
  • Options
    @brianalee9757 I love Wally as a nickname but my husband hated Walter so for a while we were thinking of Wallace for our son. We went with a family name instead but I still like Wallace/Wally. 
  • Options
    So many good names on this thread! I might need to expand our list a little haha. 

@morgantu I obviously love Willa. Emmaline is so sweet too. A little girl at DD's daycare is named Emmaline and I've always loved it. 

@jennifer_m21 Jonah and Jonas were both on my list for a boy! My great grandpa is Jonas. I love the idea of keeping the J's going. 

@night_nurse I love all your names! Gemma is my favorite but I'm a little biased (someone once told me it is the cool cousin to Emma and I just loved that lol). Olive was once at the top of my list but DH vetoed it. I really like Freya too. 

@rachelredhead Johanna Jane! Oh my, that is so sweet. 
  • Options
    @Panaceia I love that idea. I know someone who used her last name for all 3 of her kids. I think it's so cool. 
  • Options
    @Panaceia that is pretty common to do here, so I definitely think it works! 
  • Options
    @Panaceia Yes, do it! I love incorporating family names. I'm Filipino, and my middle name before I got married was my Mom's maiden name. My son took my last name as his middle name. 
  • Options
    @Panaceia love that idea! Sounds like DH has no leg to stand on in vetoing it
  • Options
    Just stopping in to add another round of girl names we won’t be using but will leave here for anyone needing inspiration:

Clarke
    Porter
    Blake
    Tatum
    Lennon
  • Options
    SO threw out a name last night that is genuinely making me question his parenting abilities. Apparently one of his grandfathers' names was Shack...pronounced Stack...where the ck at the end is more like a really guttural cz sound...and he decided that this was a name worth actually discussing and throwing into the mix...I literally started crying I was laughing so hard...and you don't even want know what he suggested as a middle name to accompany it...it was that same grandfather's last name which is equally unpronounceable...and bare in mind SO's last name is already a very long and complicated Serbian name with a lot of i's and j's in it (it's been over 20 years and I'm still not sure I pronounce it properly). WTF SO??? I think I might need to take over all naming responsibilities from here on out.
  • Options
    @Panaceia oh man! That would be so rough..having to always explain that your name isn't pronounced at all how it's spelled! 
    I think this proves you get naming rights now 😂
  • Options
    @Panaceia Oh no, I completely understand wanting to use family names, but Shack-pronounced-Stacz???

That being said, I've seen some interesting names. At my daughter's preschool there were siblings King and Queen. They weren't twins, so I always wondered what they would have done with 2 kids of the same sex. King and Prince? Queen and Princess?
  • Options
    @thebirdgirl86 We met a little girl named Queen a few years ago. Her sister's name was Rainbow...
  • Options
    @thebirdgirl86 Well that is quite a pair :D. A little boy at my daughter's daycare is named Princeton and his dog is named Queensley. It always makes me laugh.