May 2022 Moms

The Great Big Question Thread

Re: The Great Big Question Thread

• @Bababatty ah, good insight. I was 33/34 last pregnancy and did NIPT as peace of mind and i wanted to know gender…and it was a quick test to meet deductible. This time i am 37 so this is my first rodeo as AMA. 
  • @And846 I definitely think all the extra testing is a bit of a perk to being AMA (even though I know the'yre testing for some potentially scary issues and waiting on that info is stressful). I've only ever been pregnant at 35+ so I'm really curious to hear the differences you see between this pregnancy and your last in terms of testing/monitoring. (I also just read the chapter on prenatal testing in Expecting Better last night and now I have questions for my OB at my appointment on Wednesday because I'm confused about the differences between some tests.)
  • Loading the player...
  • Yes, both NIPT and NT. NIPT is a screening, not diagnostic. It will just tell you high or low risk for a variety of genetic problems including Down's Syndrome.  The NT also screens for Down's but it also can catch other issues related to heart problems as I recall. All my pregnancies have been AMA - you get all the tests LOL
  • New question: is anyone else feeling faint? 
    I don’t know if this is because of the pregnancy or because I’m recovering from covid. (And yes, I’ve called both my regular doctor and my OB and am waiting to hear back from them)
  • Anyone else feeling the aches and pains a little earlier with a second pregnancy? Rib cage tenderness and pains in belly if you move too quick/suddenly? 
  • @alataweasley I feel much more lightheaded, dizzy, and fatigued with this pregnancy than I did with DD. I know it's pretty normal to feel this on a mild level, but presumably if it's interfering with your day then it's good you've talked to your doctor. 

@And846 I had the RLP type pains around week 4-5, but not so much anymore. Maybe it was just that initial stretching and cramping for me.  No other pains though.
  • OneRainDropOneRainDrop member
    edited September 2021
    @And846 I am definitely getting those sudden pains if I move too fast and also randomly when I sneeze! 

@conni0205 how did you navigate a newborn and having Covid?! Did you have to stay apart? That sounds terrible! So sorry!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @OneRainDrop it was terrifying. I wore a mask for the most part. Tried to only hold him when nursing, thankfully this was before delta and it wasn’t as contagious in children so they said they probably wouldn’t catch it.
  • @alataweasley it’s fairly common to feel mildly light headed or dizzy when getting up too quickly. Your blood volume increases significantly while your blood pressure can actually decrease. But I do say mildly. If you’re concerned, it’s good that you called your medical practitioner.
  • @conni0205 that is such a nightmare! I’m so so sorry! Glad everything was ok though!  
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Has anyone had their HCG tracked weekly until their first US? I think that's what I had with my previous pregnancy, but I only have 5 draws ordered (2 already done) and I'm almost 8 weeks. I guess it works out so I could have it tracked at 8, 9, and 10 weeks, and then my US at 11 weeks but I just don't remember if weekly draws make much sense.
  • @jandawg nope, my last one was around 5 weeks, and I had 3 total. I've never really heard of anyone getting that many draws!! 
  • @jandawg my OB doesn’t do any blood draws unless something is going on early on (cramping, spotting, etc.) 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @oneraindrop @pajamstagrams thanks! Tw* I had a MMC my first pregnancy in 2018 so that's how come I had serial draws with my second pregnancy. I talked to the midwife today and she said I could keep going if I wanted but also she ordered me an earlier ultrasound.
  • @jandawg I’m glad they’re getting you in for an earlier US- that always brings some relief.  I think it’s so interesting how every OB/midwife is so different in their protocol for first trimester! 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • pajamstagramspajamstagrams member
    edited October 2021
    Has anyone taken bonjesta before, and, even better, have you also taken diclegis and can compare the two??

I typed out a long backstory and deleted it, but here's the gist: if I felt extremely tired on diclegis, will I feel even worse on bonjesta since it's 2x strength, or is it truly more slow release? My nausea is worse in the afternoon/evening, and diclegis didn't really help during those times with DD because I could only take it right before bed because I'm extremely sensitive to sleep aids and could barely get out of bed in the morning if I took 1 pill at night.

ETA: taking B6 by itself is not an option since taking B vitamins make me incredibly nauseous lol. 

• Question: if you’re a second time (or more) mom, when did you need to start altering your clothing choices? When did you start showing?

im 7 weeks, second baby, and I know it’s mostly bloat but I’m so uncomfortable already! 
  • @brookejay06 If I was actually in the office this week (8 wks) I would absolutely be in maternity pants, possibly shirts too. I look like I did at 4 ish months pregnant. The bloat is insane. But I can feel my pelvic area stick out more too, so it's not just bloat. I'm definitely wearing maternity dresses on vacation right now 😬

I started in maternity pants around 10 weeks with my first so I'm not *that* far ahead... 
  • @pajamstagrams ok that makes me feel better!! I am gonna try to make it to 2nd tri with just rubber bands and belly bands… but we’ll see if I need to cave earlier!
  • @brookejay06 I'm rocking my maternity jeans right now (10 weeks, but broke them out at 9 weeks) and I have 0 regrets. They really support my bloat bump nicely. ;) Part of my issue is that thigh rub has worn through almost all of my non-maternity jeans, though, and I'm not dropping money on non-maternity clothes right now, lol. I did wear some nicer maternity pants this weekend, though, and they were still too big so kind of riding down. 

My biggest issue with wearing my maternity clothes again is that the bag they were stored in transferred some kind of scent to them and I am not doing well with scents right now. 
  • @brookejay06 oh man, the bloat is REAL. haha. With my second, I was in maternity pants super early. Like 7 weeks. I felt like there was a softball where my uterus should be. With this third one, it's still too early but I definitely feel pressure in my lower abdomen. Regular jeans kind of suck right now.I bought some button extenders, but I'm in comfy pants 99% of the time. I'm gonna buy some maternity leggings and find my box of maternity clothes. I'm only 5 weeks, but I think I'll show earlier this time. I definitely showed earlier with #2. 
  • Two questions-

1. do you feel like your immune system is a total slug while pregnant? I got a cold THREE WEEKS ago, which turned into a sinus infection, and I’m still blowing my nose today. I’m so over it. My immune system has given up too apparently. 

2. Aversions…. With smells and whatnot, does anyone else have an aversion to… intimacy? Haha. I cannot say this to my husband. But it happened in my last pregnancy too. All of the sudden there are so many smells and tastes and saliva involved in sex that I never noticed before and it makes me cringe. Kissing is the worst. (Not the whole pregnancy thankfully!)
  • @brookejay06 it’s super common to have a crap immune system in pregnancy! I had the worst flu ever last pregnancy (and it was the same strain as the flu shot I got, which also made me sick 3 months before 🙄🙄)

I wouldn’t say I have an “aversion” to sex right now, but I am also very much not the “high sex drive” pregnant woman at any point in my pregnancies. My poor husband lol
  • @brookejay06
    1:  yes, your immune system is suppressed while pregnant, so you're more susceptible to getting sick. I've had a cold approximately 80% of the time since I found out I was pregnant. And I'm sure it will get worse going into cold and flu season. Lucky us! 

2. Can't say it's an "aversion" like I have to smells, but I mean yeah, there's absolutely zero desire and nothing happening there when you feel nauseated 24/7 and are always a hair's breadth away from gagging. 🤷‍♀️ 
  • @brookejay06… with you. The thought of kissing is a huge nope right now. The thought of saliva that’s not mine… 🤢🤮 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • What brand prenatal vitamins is everyone using? I’ve always just used One a Day, wondering if anything new has come out in the last 4 years…. Was considering Ritual but it’s pricey. 
  • @tacosandtums ive been using a natures made prenatal and have been for a few years now. Last pregnancy my OB switched me to an Rx prenatal but no talk of it this time 
  • @tacosandtums I use Thorne! I'm in a couple FB groups and those were the most recommended throughout each group. It is 3 pills a day which can be tough, but I'm just happy my normal aversions don't happen when I take mine.  
  • @tacosandtums I use the smartypants prenatal gummies. 
  • @tacosandtums I was taking Naturemade prenatal multi+DHA but I just switched to Solaray and that was mistake. The Solaray ones have a very strong taste; I think I'm going to chuck the bottle and go back to the naturemade. 
  • @tacosandtums I use the Jameson prenatal with DHA - they don't bug me at all
  • I am in need of opinions and experiences: according to my lmp, my due date is May 8, making me about 10.5 weeks pregnant now. However, as I got a fairly strong bfp 6 days before my expected period, I have suspected I am about a week further along and ovulated early for whatever reason. I’m supposed to have my 12 week dating ultrasound this Tuesday, but I got called out of province for work so am trying to reschedule. They won’t reschedule me because my initial bloodwork beta indicates that I’m actually about 16 weeks pregnant?! So they told me I’ll just have to wait until the 20 week ultrasound. I’m spinning a little because I don’t know how I could be a full month further along than I thought and wondering if anyone has been told a similar thing or received an abnormally high beta result?? 
  • @annashaf thats wild! I have never heard of drs basing weeks on the beta results. From what my clinic told me … betas can be so wide in range. Some people have lower numbers naturally while others have higher.
  • @And846 yeah, the more I read about it, the more ridiculous it sounds. It’s also a stand-alone beta. It’s my first and currently only blood test. I get more blood work this weekend for the maternal screening and hoping to shed some light. But at this point wonky levels of hcg can indicate a few different things, so I’m wanting to get in for an ultrasound even more now!! It wasn’t my doctor though, it’s the ultrasound booking lady that is being difficult. I have a phone appointment with my doctor today and it’s definitely going to be discussed!!
  • @annashaf um that's weird. Never heard of a medical professional basing due date off betas!! If your betas were that high and they suspected you were an entire month ahead, you'd think they'd want to see you asap! 

Also, I had a couple betas right at/over the high limit for the week and I was only measuring 2 days ahead of LMP (sounds about right since I ovulate before CD14), so idk how they are getting 4 weeks ahead.
  • @annashaf and @pajamstagrams
    when i had my betas done at 19dpo and 21dpo the numbers were 925 and 2306. If you google it and look they are a little higher but also within rage considering how different people produce different levels of hcg.
    betabase.info is a good resource 
  • Follow up! Just spoke with my doctor and she said my beta is on the high side of normal - it’s within range! She said our local hospital doesn’t like doing first tri ultrasounds (only province that doesn’t have it as standard practice) so they use every excuse not to do it and regularly “reject” 12-week ultrasound requests. The booking lady had me freaked right out. Totally unnecessarily! My doctor is going to try another avenue to get me an ultrasound to ensure that all is normal and “on schedule”.
  • @annashaf glad you got to speak to your provider. Are you in Canada?  I know ACOG recommends a dating ultrasound as standard practice.  It is strange that they don't like to do them.
  • @annashaf so glad your doctor is trying to work it out for you - so strange that they don't want to do first tri ultrasounds. 
  • @gadzooks_3 yea, I’m in Canada. NS is the only province, apparently, that isn’t on board with first tri ultrasounds. I had my first two kids in NB so this hesitancy is all new to me too.