Due: 6 Nov 2021
Daisypath Anniversary tickers
PitaPata Dog tickers

Re: The Baby Name Thread

• Options
    @sliztee that's a pretty name!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Ohh something that could be useful to discuss too (for ideas) is: What baby names do you like that you'll NOT be using?
  • Options
    The fact that this thread exists is stressing me out lol I cannot stress to you all enough- do 👏🏻 not 👏🏻 have 👏🏻 a 👏🏻 theme. If this baby is a girl we’re so screwed on the naming front. 

We have a:
    Pen.elop.e Rose
    Zo.e Elizabeth
    Pho.ebe Jane

The only real option is Daphne. I’m hoping DH comes around, but so far he’s saying Georgia because George is a Greek name. However, Georgia just sounds so out of place. I do love it though. So far, we’ve known the name we're going to choose for the entirety of every pregnancy and spend 9 months trying to talk ourselves out of it, only to go with the original name at the last possible second. So, that’s been fun. 
  • Options
    @doodleoodle I LOVE your names.  I don't think Georgia sounds super out of place with the others from an outside perspective, but I also really love the name Daphne. 😆❤

I love so many girl names.  Lydia and Matilda were our top girl names,  both great great grandmothers. 

For boys we are sunk, so of course we are having another boy lol. We love classic names but not super popular ones. My husband and I both have the most popular name for our birth years and it was awful always having multiple people with our name in each class.  Benjamin,  Nathaniel , or Alexander are good,  but they are all current family names so they are out. 

• Options
    @artsiefartsie awe, thank you! And, I think there are so many great classical boys names that almost no one uses anymore: Aaron, Adam, Franklin, Frederick, Francis, Philip, Jasper... I won’t rattle on because I realize you didn’t ask for suggestions, but I could go on forever. 

If we have a boy he will most likely end up being a 3rd after my husband and father in law, but I plan to call him Fred or Freddy, which would be a shortened form of the middle name. Mostly because I think a little baby called Fred would be so stinking cute, and also funny lol
  • Options
    @doodleoodle it is mostly my husband that is super picky with names.  There are quite a few that I like...  Henry, Oliver, Philip, but my husband shoots them all down 🙄🙄 Thankfully, I have plenty of time to wear him down. 

• Options
    @artsiefartsie I know how that goes, girl. I always just pick my favorite name and then start referring to the baby as that name. You get some eye rolls at first, but eventually that just becomes the baby’s name. Haha that’s how Phoebe became Phoebe
  • Options
    For a girl name, I'm really not sure still though there are many on the maybe list. A few that I would use if they weren't already in our immediate family:
    - Solange
    - Juliette
    - Yvette
    - Charlotte (actually this one isn't in our family, but just doesn't sound nice in French, sigh)

• Options
    mayoduckmayoduck member
    edited April 2021
    @doodleoodle Do you think Georgia stands out because it doesn't end in an 'ee' sound like the others?

I'm a fan of Ariadne (but DH can't do it because he's a gamer and apparently there have been games that used that name for spider monsters) and Calliope (but I worry not everyone would know how to pronounce it). Outside of Greek names, I've kind of been obsessed with Coralie, which doesn't really work with our Greek last name but I just think is beautiful. In any case, DH and I have a girl name picked and agreed upon and I'm not going to mess with that, lol.

ETA: Completed a sentence that I apparently just stopped in the middle of...
  • Options
    We haven’t discussed at all yet, but our boy name last time when we had a girl was Oliver- so perhaps that for a boy since we were already in agreement in it last time. Zoe is a girls name that I mentally noted sometime since my daughter was born as a name I like if we have another girl, but nothing that my DH and I have seriously discussed yet. 
  • Options
    @doodleoodle is Alexandria Greek? I think that's a lovely name too
  • Options
    @marbellie oh my goodness. It is! I’d completely forgotten about Alexandria. Thank you. So, I have quite a few names on my list then. Alexandria and Anastasia might kind of balance out how short and spunky Zoe and Phoebe are relative to Penelope. So, there’s that 🤷‍♀️ I think I’m just going to have to let go of being so rigid. 

I honestly just wish we’d done a variety of names, but also I really love each of their names so, oh well lol 
  • Options
    @doodleoodle all of those names sound beautiful! 

All of my kids have names that start with a vowel. But I picked Felicity anyway. 🤣🤷‍♀️. I’m personally team pick a name you love. I feel like long-term nobody really cares what sibling names sound like together. It’s a short time when they’ll all be said next to each other. All of the names you suggested are beautiful! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @Starynightsky24 I agree that the names of the siblings don't really matter in the long run. I'm one of 5 and the first 3 have names that start with S by coincidence. Numbers 4 and 5 have names that start with M and D, it's no biggie.

Something that's funny is that my MIL had a name picked out for her son and didn't change her mind even when his dad has the same name. So MH and FIL have the same name, but MH's not a junior 🤷🏾‍♀️
  • Options
    @mayoduck
    **lurking**
    I have a 5 year old daughter named Ariadne. LOVE this name!
  • Options
    @rabtaido1214 my 2 year old is named Oliver! It's a great name :) We are basically resurrecting our list from last time since it's another boy. Sebastian and Lucas are top of my list rn but that could change. DH gets the final say this time since I chose Oliver last time (it was on our short list) 
  • Options
    We really only have a girl name picked out because I wasn’t sure if last pregnancy we were going to have a second girl or boy. So the girl name is Lily Anne (in honor of my husbands grandma (Lilian) and my grandmas middle name (Anne)). For a boy name... no idea. We would like to incorporate John in there as it’s my grandpas name and my dads name, but Ian is a nickname for John, and I like the idea of having all vowel names for our kids... I just don’t know!!! 
  • Options
    @marbellie I think Ian is the Scottish version of John. My dad’s name is John Ian, so he’s literally John John... hence why my nickname is JJ to him (first and middle name). We’re like peas in a pod. 
  • Options
    Our names are Irish, and DH and I have two. I have no idea how we will ever decide.
  • Options
    doodleoodledoodleoodle member
    edited May 2021
    Anyone care to discuss girl names with me? I left my last appointment feeling strongly that the baby is a girl, but I don’t have a perfect history of guessing the sex so 🤷‍♀️😂 this could all be for nothing. My short list is:

Cora
    Kara
    Georgia 
    Calla
    Calista
    Daphne
    Alexandria
    Anastasia
    Eleanor
    Ida

Any that you’d absolutely not use?
  • Options
    I love, love, love Eleanor, Georgia and Ida.  I feel like they are the perfect blend... classically unique.
  • Options
    @doodleoodle my favourite is daphne and calista! Not too keen on Calla or Ida but that’s just my opinion
    Me: 29 | DH: 28
    PitaPata Dog tickers

• Options
    @doodleoodle Well Anastasia nn Ana is DH's and my girl name pick so I definitely like that one. lol. I don't think there's any on your list that I definitely would not use. I really like Alexandria too. If I needed another girls name, that with the nn Lexi would be on my list.
  • Options
    slizteesliztee member
    @doodleoodle My likes from the list: Anastasia and Eleanor. I’m not really into the others 🙃
  • Options
    Thanks, ladies! Would you side eye any of them?
  • Options
    slizteesliztee member
    Thanks, ladies! Would you side eye any of them?
    Nah
  • Options
    @doodleoodle I definitely wouldn't side eye any of them.  They are all very classic. 
  • Options
    gogracegograce member
    edited May 2021
    @doodleoodle Daphne and Alexandria are my favorites on your list. They’re all great names, but I understand your theme struggle.
    DS and DD both have “heirloom” names. DS is Ronald James (after DH’s grandpa and DH) and DD is Frances Grace (after my grandma and me). Kind of leaves us stuck with this baby.
    Anyway, back to you—I love your older daughters’ names, and I feel like Daphne and Alexandria both fit so well with their name “theme.” And I 100% agree that Alexandria sits on the same side as Penelope across from Zoë and Phoebe.

PS—our pick is Zoë for this baby. 😉
    ETA: clarifying that my new baby is Zoë. Lol.
  • Options
    gograce said:
    @doodleoodle Daphne and Alexandria are my favorites on your list. They’re all great names, but I understand your theme struggle.
    DS and DD both have “heirloom” names. DS is Ronald James (after DH’s grandpa and DH) and DD is Frances Grace (after my grandma and me). Kind of leaves us stuck with this baby.
    Anyway, back to you—I love your older daughters’ names, and I feel like Daphne and Alexandria both fit so well with their name “theme.” And I 100% agree that Alexandria sits on the same side as Penelope across from Zoë and Phoebe.

PS—our pick is Zoë for this baby. 😉
    ETA: clarifying that my new baby is Zoë. Lol.
    Love all of your names and I think Zoe fits in nicely! ❤️

Thanks for all of the feedback. It’s more meaningful coming from our small board than the name board.
  • Options
    @doodleoodle no! There’s none on the list that I definitely would not use or side eye
    Me: 29 | DH: 28
    PitaPata Dog tickers

• Options
    @doodleoodle Eleanor and Anastasia used to be on our short list, but Eleanor sounds almost exactly like DS's name and we have a friend named Anastasia so that's out now lol

All of them sound sweet though, no side eyes here
  • Options
    Another name that used to be on my list was Aria but now after game of thrones I feel like I would just be following a trend lol. I have a new cousin (3 weeks ago) who is named Caleesi 👀👀
  • Options
    doodleoodledoodleoodle member
    edited May 2021
    @marbellie aria is beautiful. DD1 was born in 2015 and DH suggested naming her Aria or Daenerys and I had to tell him that I had a feeling those characters weren’t going to turn out the way he thought they were 😂 even if you were a huge GoT nerd and didn’t care about real names I have no idea why you’d name your baby Khaleesi. Hopefully your cousin likes it when she gets older 😬
  • Options
    I hope that she does too. She also has a middle name that is a made up french one, which isn't usually an issue but our family speaks french 🤷🏾‍♀️🙈
  • Options
    @marbelie on oh lol I have a cousin who rearranged the letters of her name to name her daughter. Totally made up name. Then with her next daughter she combined the first half of her husbands name and her name 😂