July 2021 Moms
Options

The Great Big Name Thread

All things baby name related here! 

Wife. Boy mom x6. Expecting #7. Wannabe homesteader.
, 💙💙💙💙💙💙

Re: The Great Big Name Thread

• Options
    @nopegoat, we were the same. We tabled the discussion for now because boy names are so hard. We had 1 name that we liked and we used it: Leo. 

So far the front runners seem to be Tristan, Dominic, and Sebastian. I’m not 100% sold on any. I love Theodore but Theo and Leo is too much. 😂😂 

plus my H’s grandma sadly passed away unexpectedly 1 month ago and we’d like to honour her in the middle name. Either by name or meaning of her name. Her name was Audrey which means noble strength. So looking at names that mean noble or strength too. 

For girls, we have a few contenders but it’s much easier because we like a lot of names. 

*Live, Love, Laugh, Learn*

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    For either a girl or boy it will be Tate Avery. Second middle name will then be added. Grace for a girl after my grandmother and William for a boy after my father in law which is also my husband’s middle name.  

My husband has picked the names for my first two boys (I agreed on them and love their names so not bitter or anything). I have naming rights for this child. My boys are Kade Matthew and Toby Jackson. 

I prefer short first names that can’t be shortened and feel like Kade, Toby, and Tate all works well together. We will stuck to the theme of the whole family having T or K first initials. We are not finding out the sex and not sharing a name until birth. This last babe gets some level of surprise. 

Other names I considered were Tatum, Keegan, Tegan. 
  • Options
    MH and I have a running list of names we like in my phone that we’ve been adding to since my last pregnancy. 

For a boy, our two front runners are Benjamin Thomas or Brooks Wayne (middle names honor MH’s side of the family). I prefer Benjamin, because I like names that have nicknames - both my other kids have longer first names with nicknames.

We are totally stuck on girl names though. We don’t really love anything yet. Currently on our list we have Mackenzie, Whitney, or Jocelyn. We will probably use my MILs middle name as this baby’s middle name if it’s a girl. 

Thankfully we have plenty of time to try and nail down a name. 
  • Options
    We have two girls already...Caroline Rae and Hadley (Haddie) Claire. I never intended for my second to go by a nickname but that girl does whatever the hell she wants anyways. 

I really try to avoid really popular names since I grew up with an insanely common name. For a girl, we’re really loving Adelaide James and call her Ada James. For a boy, the only thing we like so far is Manning James. James is DH’s grandfather and because this is the only baby we’re having he wants to use it either way. 
  • Options
    We haven’t started thinking about names yet. The ones we didn’t use with the kids I’ve now soured on. DH isn’t sold on being team green because we have to come up with two names 😂

@AKuzReve what about Teddy for Theodore? Teddy and Leo would be cute!

• Options
    DH won't even talk about names with me until the last possible minute. But, for a boy so far I like Bennet, Beau, Luke, or Teddy. Girls I have no idea. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    We're definitely going with Eve (Evie for a nickname) for a girl, but boy names are so much harder!  We are maybe thinking Simon.  DS's name is Max so Max and Simon works well together! 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @karacc18 is it weird that I like Teddy for a girl too?

• Options
    With this being our fifth I just know it’s gonna take us a hot minute to come up with names. We had Cyrus Allen for a boy on the table for our 4th (team green turned pink), but I’m not sold on it anymore. Will still use the Allen though if it’s a boy, since it’s my dads middle name and we’d like to carry it on. For a girl, my hubby is dead set on Magdalene Rose, Maggie for short, but I’m not sold on it either. 🤷🏼‍♀️

DD1 5/16/2006 8lbs 3oz 21" (2 days late, 36.5 hour labor)
    M/C 12/08/09 6w5d
    DS1 6/27/2013 7lbs 9oz 19.5" (1 day late, 17.5 hour labor)
    M/C 12/18/13 6w1d Twins
    BFP#5 4/6/13 EDD 12/16/2014

BabyFruit Ticker image
  • Options
    Danny doesn’t know it, but I have Magnolia Susan picked out already if it’s a girl.  I’ve been obsessed with Magnolia since the new Gerber baby was announced 🤣.  It’s also a tribute to his home state (Mississippi) and his grandmother, Margaret, who recently passed away.  Susan is after my aunt.

We’re screwed on a boy name because we’ve used all our family names.  And we’re both already convinced this will be another boy.
    BabyFetus Ticker
    Married: 12-04-06 
    Annabelle: 1-1-08
    Patrick: 8-15-10
    EDD: 4-20-17
  • Options
    @DuchessOfCambridge Teddy is a really cute girls name. I can never get my husband on board with traditionally male names for girls, but so many of them are adorable!
  • Options
    @DuchessOfCambridge not at all... It has become pretty popular with girls too. I don't think MH would go for it though :(
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Love the 'Mag' names! 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    in case you don’t know, there’s an app called BabyName. The logo looks like an egg. It’s basically like tinder but for names. Both you and your partner swipe right or left for names and then you can add the ones you both agree on to your list 
  • Options
    I am open to any boy name suggestions. I currently already have 2 boys, Jake and Ryan. So clearly I like pretty traditional, but I'm stumped for another boy name. 

I like several girl names though. 
  • Options
    @cjjr21 we go for more traditional names as well. My boys are 

James Mathieu
    Everett William 
    Charles Gregory 
    Russell Albert 
    Henry Luke

Mathieu is a family name pronounced Matthew. 
    , 💙💙💙💙💙💙
  • Options
    @nopegoat You have 5 boys? You're a Saint! 
  • Options
    @cjjr21 I do and I truly love it! I'm hoping this one is a boy too. Saint, no. Crazy, absolutely. 😂😂
    , 💙💙💙💙💙💙
  • Options
    @nopegoat I’m sure you’re a pro by now but start preparing yourself for the slew of stupid questions and comments regarding the sex of your unborn baby. Do your boys have a preference in a sister or a brother? Obviously you don’t have a say but I’m just curious 
  • Options
    nopegoatnopegoat member
    edited November 2020
    @marikkita12 oh the questions and comments get worse with each one. I'm a complete freak show in public with my big crew as it is. Add in all boys and people seem to lose their minds. Everyone has to say something. Being pregnant now it's going to be so much worse again. Though with Covid and homeschooling I don't have to deal with too many people thankfully.

They really don't. With my last pregnancy my oldest said he wanted a sister but that was before he found out that he'd have to share toys with a sister as well. 😂
    , 💙💙💙💙💙💙
  • Options
    @nopegoat I totally get it. I'm hoping this one is a boy too! Love being a boymom. 
  • Options
    @marikkita12 I like this baby name app! Great find!
  • Options
    I *think* we’ve narrowed it down to Eli, Luca, Sebastian, Dominic, and Tristan. 

@nopegoat, I love the names of your kiddos! 

@DuchessOfCambridge, my only hesitation about teddy is I really don’t want it to become Ted. 

• Options
    We like Theo for a boy, and I love the name Henry but DH hates it  :'( maybe we will use it for a middle name. We have no girl names picked out yet. I like names that can be shortened, we have an Olivia that we call Liv and her little cousins call Livy most of the time. I also really like the name Tucker, Tuck for short, but DH also doesn’t like that one  :D
  • Options
    @jessd0117 I love Henry as well, and my DH hates it as well!!! I wonder why, when I ask him he has no explanation - I'm going to try and keep pushing it LOL 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @jessd0117 @canucklehead123 I love the name Henry, though I may be slightly biased as it's my youngest's name. 
    , 💙💙💙💙💙💙
  • Options
    @canucklehead123 @nopegoat I might have to pull what I did with our daughter and leave some of his names in the running until we get to the hospital, then just pick whatever seems to “fit” the best. Penelope and Stella were top contenders for our daughter and I knew the whole time neither of those would be chosen  :D lovely names, but I was dead set on Olivia so I waited to confirm it when I saw her little face!
  • Options
    @jessd0117 pretty sure my husband pulled that stunt on me last time. Lol! We each had a name we loved but when she came out he immediately said she was the third name we had on the list. 😂 luckily I completely agreed but the haze of birth might have made that easier for him. 
  • Options
    We have Reagan picked as the first name for a girl, after that we are stuck. DH likes the name Roarke for a boy, but I can barely pronounce it so that is NOT happening. 
    DH picked our son's name (Barrett Roy) which I have grown to love, but I would really like to choose this one's name (petty, I know haha).
    We love the outdoors so I have been leaning towards Aspen, Briar, Cybele but DH has pretty much vetoed them all.
  • Options
    We haven’t even broached the topic of names over here. I took a look at our name list from last time and surprisingly none of them seem that compelling anymore, but it may be because the pregnancy doesn’t seem real just yet (can’t wait for that first doc appt, ugh). We were so undecided on a name last time, mostly because we come from such different backgrounds that it’s difficult to pick a name that’s meaningful to both our cultures. We went to the hospital with a short list of three names (Luca, Nicholas and Adrian) and ended up choosing Nicholas after he was born. We’ll probably have the same approach this time, with a short list of names for each gender (trying team green this time).
  • Options
    All I know is I don't want something popular, I currently have an Abby and while I knew it was popular I didn't realize how popular until I named her it and now no matter where we go their is always another Abby or two.

I love the boy name Kasper, no one else likes it but me but I'm going to fight for it again, but if we are real I have 2 girls already so this is going to be another girl HA HA

I love Jocelyn for a girl but I'm a little nervous Schitt's creek might make it popular but we shall see. 

My husband is from Poland so our tradition is full Polish middles names I love Halina for a girl and Ryszard for a boy.

BFP 2/11/15 (EDD 10/13/15). MMC 3/30/15 D&C 4/3/15 "We will always love you"
    DD1 - BFP 7/23/15 (EDD 3/31/16).  "We believe in you rainbow" DOB 4/2/16
    DD2 - BFP 2/9/18 (EDD 10/19/18).  "Grow baby grow!" DOB 10/24/18
    BFP 11/16/20 (EDD 7/31/21).  "Round 3 FIGHT!"
  • Options
    @bntfroggie I love Halina! How do you pronounce Ryszard? I’m thinking ri-SHARD? Wojciech is a distant family name on my husband’s side that I have a soft spot for. 

Abby and Jocelyn go well together. 
  • Options
    @bntfroggie I love the name Jocelyn, but I prefer the spelling Joslyn. Slightly different, and hopefully not too weird. It’s a front runner for names for us, but I totally didn’t think of Schitt’s Creek making it popular! 
  • Options
    @cammie0526 Yeah that's pretty much how you pronounce it.  We also like Viktor for a middle name, but I honestly like it for a first name too.  We shall see.

@daisy528 I didn't either and then I told my husband I like it and he's like oh like on Schitt's Creek and I was like ummm no ha ha ha.

Either way both pregnancies we had a longish short list that we went to the hospital with so we will probably do the same this time and pick there.
    BFP 2/11/15 (EDD 10/13/15). MMC 3/30/15 D&C 4/3/15 "We will always love you"
    DD1 - BFP 7/23/15 (EDD 3/31/16).  "We believe in you rainbow" DOB 4/2/16
    DD2 - BFP 2/9/18 (EDD 10/19/18).  "Grow baby grow!" DOB 10/24/18
    BFP 11/16/20 (EDD 7/31/21).  "Round 3 FIGHT!"
  • Options
    We’ve narrowed down our boy name to Elliott nicknamed Eli. Still subject to change and still considering middle names. But I think we will wait to officially decide later on. 

Now we need to figure out girl names. Amaya or Amalia seems to be the front runners but I’m still undecided. Though I like that both kind of honour both my grandma and my H’s grandma. 

• Options
    I have three girls. Naming girl 3 was near impossible. No clue how to name a 4th. If a boy, also no clue.