April 2021 Moms
Options

October Appointments Thread

2»

Re: October Appointments Thread

• Options
    @forevertired Both my 8 week and 12 week ultrasounds were abdominal!

@bbrahmbhatt Ughh those tests SUCK! I understand their utility, but seriously it's like torture.  I am seriously hoping I just squeaked in under the cut off.  I checked and their cut off is 135 though (not 140 like I thought) so it seems unlikely.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    bluey101321  I am A-.  Luckily enough DD was born 0-.  I don't remember if they did my Rhogram shot during my first pregnancy, I assume so since it is standard practice.  For my current pregnancy, they will give me the Rhogram at 28 weeks. 
  • Options
    I had my 12 week apt today.  I brought my 4 year old daughter since she has been begging me to come for the past few weeks.  I though that they might do an ultrasound, but they just verified babe's heart beat with a doppler. 160 BPM.  When my daughter found out that she wouldn't be able to see "baby sister" via ultrasound during the visit, she dramatically crumbled to the floor and sobbed "babyyyy sisssterrr" and then sobbed the whole way back home. Needless to say, I will NOT be bringing her to my next appointment lol. 

My doctor was asking if I wanted to do a test that would tell how big a chance we had of the baby having Downs Syndrome.  Since I am not high risk, this test is the only one my insurance will cover. She didn't say what it was called but said it had to do with measuring hormones. Anyone know what this is about?  

She also confirmed that the hospital I will be giving birth at has a policy in which all laboring mothers have to have an IV in at all times, even if they aren't dehydrated or being induced. Is this the standard at anyone else's hospital?  During my first birth, the hospital didn't give me an IV, however it was a natural water birth.
  • Options
    @aguamala, I had IVs while in labor with both of my girls! I think I had it the whole time, but that part is hazy right now. 
  • Options
    @aquamala, I think the test you're talking about is a quad screen. It's usually done in conjunction with an NT Scan, since neither is reliable on its own.

As far as the IV, it's been standard practice at our hospital since 2012, at least. They've found it can speed up labor to hyper hydrate you. PLUS, a lot of hospitals are doing pitocin drips after labor now. It decreases the odds of a PP hemorage. 
  • Options
    @aguamala the IV was standard practice at my old hospital and I assume it will be at this one, too.
  • Options
    I am STILL waiting for my MaterniT21 results. Sent out 10/2. WTF!!!
  • Options
    @aisukurimsarang congrats on the girl!  Thanks for the info about the Quad screen, I did more research and definitely want to get it done. For my first they just gave me a shot of Pitocin after baby came out since I didn't have an IV.  I really hate unnecessary intervention, and I feel like extra hydration to speed up birth would be unnecessary in my case since my first birth was pretty quick. I understand that hospital protocols are created to reduce risks, however it is frustrating when they can't make exceptions for risk free births. I am considering an epidural this time around though if the pain is too crazy/long. In that case, I will be connected and strapped in to the fullest extent lol. 
  • Options
  • Options
    @aisukurimsarang Congratulations! I’m jelly of all you mamas finding out already :D

@aguamala I’m A- too! My daughter was born A- as well, but my son was A+ so ended up with another rhogam shot after delivering. I don’t really remember the Dr talking to me about it with my daughter but that was 10 years ago. Barely with my son 7 years ago. And then this time they’re on it straight from the gate. 
  • Options
    @pelorunningmama @aisukurimsarang congrats ladies!!!! Our #4 baby (boy) makes it two of each for us too 🙌🏻🙌🏻
  • Options
    @pelorunningmama and @aisukurimsarang congratulations!  

@theblondebump that is great news! I'm glad this practice seems to be a much better fit for you guys!
  • Options
    @rexnie Congratulations on a good NT scan!  I've always been curious about a chiropractor but I've never tried it.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @rexnie ahhhhhh prenatal chiro visits are the BEST!!! I went almost weekly with #3 and it always felt so amazing after every appointment. @kadeephd it’s so so worth it!!! I swear my Chiro is the one who helped my body get in the right placement for labor (and keep it that way all pregnancy) with my last 2 kiddos & is what made my labor easier!!