March 2021 Moms
Options

Product Spotlight: Diapering

Each week we'll spotlight a new category of product. Feel free to comment on threads like these throughout your time at the board, not just when they're in their week in the spotlight, if you discover something new OR are new to the board. This week it's.... Diapering!

FTMs are encouraged to ask questions & STM/+s encouraged to share their knowledge based on experience. You can use any or all the prompts relevant to you below to share info in an easy-to-read format. Pictures/screen grabs, if put in spoilers, are welcome!

For all:
Brand you like?
Any diapering accessories, you recommend?
If you've cloth diapered, any tips you can give FTMs?

To  view the upcoming PSS schedule, see here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1IrF0iah5XaJFdFTHzNVcIEq4ujZTwq_j1bG9W-bovNs/edit#gid=0

Next up: Cribs, Travel cribs, sleeping surfaces

Together 2007 | Married 2011 | Me: 36 | DH: 38
Adopted Furbaby: 2014
TTC#1 : 1/2016 | IUI #2 - BFP 12/24/16 -- born 9/8/17
TTC#2: 11/2019 | Dx DOR (AMH 0.3), AMA
IUI #2 - BFP 7/1/20 -- EDD 3/14/21

Re: Product Spotlight: Diapering

• Options
    I plan to cloth diaper and I’d love some recommendations for good brands. I’m trying to find a small variety to add to my registry. I’m also still doing lots of research, and trying to figure out the best way to diaper when we’re out or if baby stays with family for a few hours, etc. Another thing: cloth wipes or disposable? I’d prefer cloth, but again, I’d love to hear any recommendations!
  • Options
    So we only disposable diapers. Mostly pampers because we got a bunch at the shower and kept using it lol. Once she started sleeping longer stretches at night we used the overnight diapers. 

Best diaper cream, in my opinion, is triple paste. For a while desitin was fine but she eventually got a terrible rash after having diarrhea and the only thing that helped was triple paste. But it’s definitely $$ compared to desitin, butt paste, or any of the others. 

We were gifted a diaper genie so that’s what we’ve used but it’s just ok. I’ve heard good things about the Ubbi diaper pail from others but can’t speak from experience. 
    TTC history in spoiler
    Me: 31 Him: 37
    Married: Oct 2015
    Baby G born June 2017
    TTC#2: July 2018
    BFP #2: 2/6/19 MC 3/14/19
    BFP#3 from IUI #2: 6/30/20 EDD 3/9/21

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy  Baby Tracker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    I did cloth with my daughter, I wish I could again but I won't be a SAHM this time so I'm not confident that I could keep up with it. 

I really tried to keep it inexpensive so I did prefolds (GMD) in thirsties covers mostly and it worked great. I used Rockin Green detergent. I cut up flannel receiving blankets for wipes and uses a spritz bottle of water with a few drops coconut oil to dampen. 

My Husband is staying home with this baby and the idea of cloth intimidates him... so disposables it is, but I know we're going to end up spending more money 🙄🤦‍♀️

DD1 - 2010 TTC v2.0
  • Options
    Initally we used pampers pure and Honest, but now we mainly use Cloud Island and sometimes Honest during the day and a Papers Overnight + Sposie pad (starting around a year) at night because my 17 month old flips around to his stomach for pqrt od the night and we were having belly leaks.  So far he hasn't had any sort of reaction from anything he has tried. The only diaper I hated when he was little was 7th generation. It felt so heavy and wet immediately! We have been happy woth the Pampers Aqua wipes and Wet Wipes. They both stay really wet for a while.

Never got a wipes warmer, but the Ubbi wipes holder is a must! You just stick the wipes package in the container and it has a weighted plate that goes over the top and allows you to easily one handed mess with the wipes container! That thing is awesome!

We really like our Dekor Plus Diaper Pail because it is hands free.
  • Options
    juliebeannnjuliebeannn member
    edited September 2020
    Brand you like?  As a newborn, we used Pampers Swaddlers bc that's what we got off our registry.  We eventually moved to Huggies Little Movers (when he was crawling) bc we found Huggies to have wider bottom coverage.  Our son has quite the bubble butt so those were the only ones that actually covered his whole bum.  Other diapers would leave half a cheek hanging out lol.  

As baby gets bigger and starts to pee through diapers, we used Huggies Overnites but switched to using Sposie Diaper Inserts. They work great.  (This is also helpful for toddlers!)

Any diapering accessories, you recommend?  The Baby Bum Brush for easy diaper cream application! Your hands will thank you!  A&D always worked well for us for diaper rashes! 

We didn't use wipe warmers or peepee teepees lol but we did have a diaper genie which worked well for us.  I just didn't like spending the money on the refills.  I'm thinking of switching to a Ubbi diaper pail this time so I can use regular kitchen garbage bags.
  • Options
    We really liked the huggies snugglers from Costco - they have this little pocket at the back that did a REALLY good job of catching what would otherwise be poop-splosions up the back! Someone told me the non-Costco ones don’t have this, but I never checked. We used them until size 4 and recently moved to the little movers. I find the movers seem to have a little less bum coverage or else shift more or something, because I find the left side of DDs bum is often hanging out haha. She does crawl hilariously weird though so that may be the cause rather than a diaper. We also use Huggies overnights (since maybe 6ish months?) which have worked well for us. We have a diaper genie. It’s ok, but I definitely always notice a smell. Plus as the diapers get bigger, it really doesn’t hold a ton so it gets pricier to have to get refills more often. 
  • Options
    @finnflan It's so funny how you and I had the exact opposite experience with Little Movers lol. But yes, the poop catcher in the back is clutch! I think the non-Costco Huggies Snugglers/Movers have it too.  Now thinking back, that was the main reason we initally switched to Huggies!  I also love that they come in a huge box at a cheaper price at Costco!  Whenever they have a Huggies sale (which they're having right now), I buy like 4 boxes to keep on hand. 
  • Options
    @juliebeannn baby bums are funny 😂 Interestingly though, the little movers I’ve gotten don’t have that pocket!
  • Options
    Im a big huggies fan, i dont like the smell of pampers 🤷‍♀️ i tried Hello bellos for my son and they were terrible,  they leaked like crazy, but  my friend who has a gorl loves them and says that huggies leak for her, so i guess its a each baby is different thing. 
    Diaper cream i like penaton. Both the white paste and the r one, different rashes need differenr creams. I like to havealittle caddy with a frw diapers and wipes in the main rooms of the house so indont haveto run around looking for diapers
  • Options
    For my boys, pampers swaddlers for daytime and huggies for overnight in the next size up has worked best for us. Huggies wipes are the only ones worth buying, IMO. I second the baby bum brush - love that thing! I even have a mini travel one that comes in a little carrying case. Triple paste and A&D have been the absolute best diaper cream and ointment for both our boys.
  • Options
    travandastravandas member
    edited October 2020
    Brand you like? I'm a huggies fan!  I used to use targets brand about 9 years ago but they since changed them and now they are terrible.  I know people say Costco brand is the same as huggies but I disagree.

Any diapering accessories, you recommend?  Coconut oil & destin for diaper rash. (I haven't tried it but would definitely like to try the baby bum brush because getting destin off of your hands is a nightmare).
    I never used a wipe warmer.  I always just hold it in my hand for a few seconds to warm it up if I am changing them at night.  
  • Options
    @travandas I do the same with wipes! No warmer - just ball up a wipe in my fist for a few seconds to warm it up while I am removing the dirty diaper. 
  • Options
    I cloth diapered and used disposables until 6 months. I used disposables if we went out and during middle of the night changes. I used Bumgenius Flips and some All-in-Ones.  I stopped cloth diapering when we introduced solids. I couldn’t deal with liners and spraying solids poop. I would cloth diaper again because I saved my stash and I like the idea of not producing as much waste. I washed diapers with Persil on a prewash cycle. I would line dry everything. It was easy enough to do but requires more commitment than using disposables. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I did cloth diapers for about 2 months but I felt they made DS wake up from naps when he was wet so I stopped. 

Disposables I like pampers. But then I switched to Luvs around a year old and actually loved them!! So much cheaper, and I really felt they were softer. I think I’ll try Luvs earlier this time and see how I like them. 
    Me: 30   DH: 29
    Together: 3/2007
    Married: 5/30/2015
    BFP #1: 9/14/2015
    EDD: 5/20/2016
  • Options
    Does any one know the policies for returning/trading back unopened diaper packs? My co-workers are doing a diapers and wipes mini-shower for me and we may end up needing different sizes etc.
    DD1 - 2010 TTC v2.0