2nd Trimester

Wrong sex?

emlou27emlou27 member
edited September 2020 in 2nd Trimester
Hi! I’ve seen a few people post their pictures for thoughts on determining the sex and am hoping to get some input. I know the sonographers are highly trained professionals (and are looking at many important anatomical structures) and I don’t mean to sound like I’m disagreeing or doubting them, but baby wasn’t being super cooperative and I swear I saw/see boy parts (instead of girl, as told, at 20 week ultrasound). I am just thrilled baby is healthy! And do not have a preference for a particular sex. Just wondering if it’s possible to be told the wrong sex!

Re: Wrong sex?

• emlou27 said:
    Hi! I’ve seen a few people post their pictures for thoughts on determining the sex and am hoping to get some input. I know the sonographers are highly trained professionals (and are looking at many important anatomical structures) and I don’t mean to sound like I’m disagreeing or doubting them, but baby wasn’t being super cooperative and I swear I saw/see boy parts (instead of girl, as told, at 20 week ultrasound). I am just thrilled baby is healthy! And do not have a preference for a particular sex. Just wondering if it’s possible to be told the wrong sex!
    You say you are not disagreeing or doubting them and what you saw as boy parts may have been an umbilical cord, or a shadow, or something an untrained eye wouldn't know what it was.  

Is there a chance, yes the only true guarentee of the sex of your kid is birth.  Is it a huge chance? No. 
  • Yes, it’s definitely possible. Common? No, but it does happen. I’ve actually had two friends in the last year be told the wrong thing - one was changed at a subsequent ultrasound, the other went to the hospital expecting a girl and came home with a boy! I would say to them exactly what you said here, just ask them to explain what you’re seeing.  
  • Loading the player...
  • It’s hard to say without a picture, but in general boy parts are pretty easy to identify. 

Sometimes girls can be a bit engorged due to maternal hormones and look bigger than usual. 

Sonographers are not perfect and unfortunately we can sometimes get it wrong. But if you think you saw boy parts, they would have too. So for them to say girl tells me they were pretty sure. I will only tell my patients when I’m 95% sure, but of course nothing in life is guaranteed. 
  • emlou27emlou27 member
    edited September 2020
  • interesting story, I want to know continuation

• I was told at my 24 week ultrasound that its a girl but it came out boy. 
  • Granted this was 14/15 years ago, but at my 20 week ultrasound they told me I was having a girl, and it was a boy! This was discovered at a later ultrasound several months after. I was obviously thrilled either way but it took my husband at the time some time to adjust 🤣