November 2020 Moms
Options

Product Spotlight: Cribs, travel cribs, sleeping surfaces

Hey everyone! I borrowed the template for this from August BMB. The attached spreadsheet (linked below) lists weekly product spotlights. Please let me know if you have any suggestions for topic or organization changes! I figured this would be a good starting point and we can edit/make changes as needed. 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Aqb8MGEYn0PQtTuPg16w7-ypItLmVIMNyU5AteGqodM/edit?usp=sharing

Also, here's a suggested template for the new thread each week. Again, borrowed from a past BMB, and edits welcome:

This is a place for FTMs to ask questions about, S+TMs to share their prior experience with, and everyone to share what they're eyeing in the world of maternity, baby and postpartum products. Each week we'll spotlight a new category of product to help streamline and make it easier to refer back. This week we're discussing [ITEM]! 

Please use the prompts below to try to share as much relevant info as you can in a format that is easy for those reading to navigate and respond to.

For S+TMs: 

• Individual (e.g., lifestyle) factors that might influence your choice:
  • Favorite cribs/travel crib/sleeping surface:
  • Link/picture:
  • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.):
  • What you like and don't like about it:
  • Is there a cribs/travel crib/sleeping surface you don't have but are considering? Why?:
  • Is there a cribs/travel crib/sleeping surface you've tried that you absolutely hate? Why?: 
  • Additional thoughts on cribs/travel cribs/sleeping surfaces?:

For FTMs:

• Crib/travel crib/sleeping surface you're interested in:
  • Link/picture:
  • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.):
  • Any questions for S+TMs?:

To view past Product Spotlights or the upcoming schedule, see

here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Aqb8MGEYn0PQtTuPg16w7-ypItLmVIMNyU5AteGqodM/edit?usp=sharing

Re: Product Spotlight: Cribs, travel cribs, sleeping surfaces

• Options
    mimsermimser member

FTM:

• Crib/travel crib/sleeping surface you're interested in: Babybjorn bassinet (which would be my one luxurious item given the price..). In terms of crib, I honestly don't know what to look for... we already have a dresser that is white so it will be white I think...
    • Link/picture:

• Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.):  The babybjorn bassinet is quite expensive $$$ for an item that will be used 6 months... So I'm hoping to keep the crib price a  bit  lower $$
    • Any questions for S+TMs?: What should I look for in a crib? 
  • Options
    crizz13crizz13 member
    • Individual (e.g., lifestyle) factors that might influence your choice: This is baby #3 and we have used the same crib/mattresses for all of our children and we room share for the first 6ish months of baby's life. I exclusively breastfeed so having baby in the room is a must for us. 
    • Favorite cribs/travel crib/sleeping surface: The crib we have is linked below. It's a pretty standard crib, no bells and whistles, does the job. Our two year old is currently still sleeping in it and will until we get her a "big girl bed." It transitions to a toddler bed, but we've never used it for that. Arm's Reach Cosleeper: The second link is what we use before transferring baby to their own room. We also have a portable pack n' play which we keep on the main floor of the house for occasional naps/ another surface to safely put baby down in the middle of the day
    • Link/picture: https://www.pishposhbaby.com/baby-cache-covington-crib-cherry.html    https://www.armsreach.com/products/mini-ezee-3-in-1-co-sleeper                https://www.amazon.com/Graco-Change-Carry-Playard-Manor/dp/B00K75MW40/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3F0IUJC4OJ740&dchild=1&keywords=pack+n+play+with+bassinet+and+changing+table&qid=1589849394&s=baby-products&sprefix=pack+n+play+%2Cbaby-products%2C153&sr=1-3
    • What you like and don't like about it:  (Arm's Reach) I love that it sidecars right up to the bed and allows me easy access to baby and helps me to feel more secure about their sleeping. The only con was that we had to buy some extenders to make it the right height for our bed. 
    • Is there a cribs/travel crib/sleeping surface you don't have but are considering? Why?: Nope
    • Is there a cribs/travel crib/sleeping surface you've tried that you absolutely hate? Why?: N/A
    • Additional thoughts on cribs/travel cribs/sleeping surfaces?: Just make sure you know the safe sleep standards and also keep in mind that you WILL be sleep deprived and there's no way to fully comprehend the amount of sleep deprivation until you've experienced it. Accepting the fact that infant sleep SUCKS and knowing that it's normal for babies to need to be up all the time and held constantly for the first few months made coping with it a whole lot easier. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    crizz13crizz13 member
    edited May 2020
    @mimser The standard cribs all have to meet safety ratings. I would just make sure that you're buying a new one (as opposed to getting a hand me down from a long time ago) since standards have changed for the spacing in between the slats, and those drop down sides we had in the 80s and 90s are a no go now. 

I don't think you need something that's super expensive, just something that fits your lifestyle and aesthetic. Also keep in mind you'll have to buy a mattress. Currently we have a double sided one (firmer for babies and a little softer for toddler age). 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    crizz13crizz13 member
    I did think of one product I'm considering buying for this babe, but am hesitant because he's most likely our last...and it's not cheap. It's a completely breathable crib mattress.  
    https://www.newtonbaby.com/products/newton-crib-mattress 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    • Individual (e.g., lifestyle) factors that might influence your choice: we have a 2 story home and I wanted a place for DS to sleep downstairs so I didn't have to haul him upstairs throughout the day (Graco PnP with bassinet). I also wanted a close but separate sleep space for him in our room (Halo swivel sleeper bassinest)
    • Favorite cribs/travel crib/sleeping surface: the halo was pricey but definitely worth it, especially since we're having more than one kid
    • Link/picture:
    • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.): PnP $, Halo $$
    • What you like and don't like about it: the Halo is heavy with a wide footprint which makes it a little cumbersome to move but great for safety and stability. I like that I can have baby at bed level and the side partially goes down to make motn nursing sessions easier.  The PnP was a step above the basic with the raised changing table and bassinet. I didn't like that the floor of the bassinet/PnP was a little difficult to clean and showed water spots 
    • Is there a cribs/travel crib/sleeping surface you don't have but are considering? Why?: no
    • Is there a cribs/travel crib/sleeping surface you've tried that you absolutely hate? Why?: no
    • Additional thoughts on cribs/travel cribs/sleeping surfaces?:
    @mimser most cribs have multiple settings to lower the mattress and safety wise drop sides are no more. Basically it comes down to budget, space/size, and style. For example, our dog loves to shove his toys under furniture so we bought a crib that was as close to flush to the floor as possible. 
  • Options
    STM

Individual (e.g., lifestyle) factors that might influence your choice: our house is small, we didn't have a nursery and our bedroom is too small to fit any baby sleeping anything. Also, DH is a bad sleeper/insomniac, so having baby in the room/bed wasn't going to work anyway.

Favorite cribs/travel crib/sleeping surface: I slept in the living room on the couch with baby in the PnP for the first 4.5 months. Then we moved him to a standard crib that was a hand me down from my sister, but totally safe and in decent condition. He's still there! It converts into a toddler bed, but we'll probably move him to his own bed when we need the crib for little sister.

Link/picture: 
    Super simple PnP with the full size bassinet
    Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.): We got ours for $80

What you like and don't like about it: loved it! We didn't use the changing table for its intended purpose, but did store stuff there.

Is there a cribs/travel crib/sleeping surface you don't have but are considering? Why?: Just looking for a replacement for the RnP. And I really wish I was willing to drop the money on a Guava/Lotus travel crib!

Additional thoughts on cribs/travel cribs/sleeping surfaces?: It doesn't have to be fancy, and you don't have to buy it all right now. You can wait and see what works for you (true for basically all baby stuff).
    TW
    Me: 33 DH: 32
    Started Dating: 2003 Married: 2013
    Started TTC August 2016
    BFP: 2/1/17 MC: 2/8/17
    BFP: 3/8/17 MMC: 5/1/17
    BFP: 7/23/17 EDD: 4/5/18
    BFP: 2/27/20

• Options
    • Crib/travel crib/sleeping surface you're interested in: I was offered a Halo bassinet for free from a friend who doesn't use it anymore, but I had been intending on renting the Snoo based off of my very best friend's glowing recommendation. Baby will be in the room with MH and me for a while, so we want to keep things as low footprint as possible. Bassinet doesn't need to move as I'll keep a Dock-A-Tot in the living room as well as a swing. After he outgrows the bassinet, we will get a crib, though I'm not sure which - hopefully we will have moved or will be moving at that point, but I think that's unlikely, so we will have to get an inexpensive mini crib to hold us over until we are able to buy a new place and sell this one.
    • Link/picture: Link to Snoo https://www.happiestbaby.com/products/snoo-rental
    • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.): Halo is free Snoo is $$$$
  • Options
    lindz42lindz42 member
    We were going to use a hand-me-down bassinet. Recently, because of our inconsistent work schedules, we've talked to the in laws about caring for baby in the morning after our parental leaves. DH works third shift and will be sleeping in the morning, so I'm assuming it'll be better for baby to go to ILs home. I would rather not suggest that they have their own full nursery there, as my parents might also help out when they can. Should we plan for two bassinets then, one for home and one for caregiver? I saw a Graco PnP with a bassinet and changing table set up-- would that be sufficient for a grandparent's home for a few days per week? Or should we have two identical bassinets for consistency? 
  • Options
    crizz13crizz13 member
    edited May 2020
    @warmwinter As a newborn, baby will sleep the same pretty much anywhere. They're wonderfully inconsistent and I don't think it matters having identical anything. It will not confuse baby in the slightest as long as they have the same darkness, white noise, etc. Grandparents might also end up holding baby a lot. When the baby gets older they may make some sleep associations, but if they're at each place about the same amount of time, they will most likely adjust. For example, at 4 months old, my girls both went to daycare full time. Their cribs at daycare are not at ALL like the crib at home, the environment is completely different in terms of light, sounds, etc. and they have always slept equally as well (or not) in both settings. 

Pack n plays are totally sufficient for grandparents!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @warmwinter Pack n play is totally sufficient. You'll even find that some parents use them instead of a bassinet/crib in totality. My parents live very close to my Brother and SIL so they set up a space for their babies in my old bedroom with a small Ikea crib (very inexpensive). They could go that route, too.
  • Options
    STM
    • Individual (e.g., lifestyle) factors that might influence your choice: With DD we had an extra large master bedroom, her whole nursery could have fit in it along with our stuff. However she was the first, so I had to get all Pinteresty and set up her nursery with a simple convertible crib we bought from Buy Buy Baby. (Unnecessary) We had a pack in play, with diaper changer, and bassinet in our room. I didn’t care for the diaper changer, so I rarely used it. Link below. She slept in the PNP  bassinet for the first 3 months then, in the PNP raised until 6 months, then lowered the PNP until 10 months. She got the flu at 10 months hasn’t left our bed. 😟 She did use her crib sometimes and the rock n play(recalled). I would love to have her out of our room before baby comes. So any tips on getting a 15 month to her crib is welcomed. We moved when she was 5 months, so now we have a normal size master. I threw away the bassinet part, because it was no longer needed and kinda gross. I need to figure out what to do with a 21month old and a newborn sleeping arrangements in November.
    • Favorite cribs/travel crib/sleeping surface: Pack in Play
    • Link/picture: Check out this item at Target
      https://www.target.com/p/baby-trend-lil-snooze-deluxe-ii-nursery-center/-/A-78797297
    • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.): $
    • What you like and don't like about it: It was cheap and easy to pack up. The bassinet portion was not easy to clean the fabric was not removable to wash.
    • Is there a cribs/travel crib/sleeping surface you don't have but are considering? Why?: I’m thinking of getting a stand alone bassinet this time. We still have DD PNP that we can use later, but the bassinet is gone. 
  • Options
    • Individual (e.g., lifestyle) factors that might influence your choice: we have 2 cats and with DS I was very worried about the horror stories I heard of cats trying to cuddle with babies and suffocating them. I was desperate to try and find a bassinet we could use in our bedroom that would keep cats out and the baby safe!
    • Favorite cribs/travel crib/sleeping surface: Dream on Me bassinet
    • Link/picture:  Dream On Me Karley Bassinet, Grey https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DMH3L1H/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_i_8JMXEb3GTSG4P
    • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.): $57 on Amazon right now so very affordable. 
    • What you like and don't like about it: I loved the peace of mind that it brought me. I slept like a rock while DS was a newborn because he was nice and safe inside the dome lol. There were 2 things that we didnt like about the bassinet- 1) when it was zipped up the zipper would get stuck down where it was hard to reach. DH ended up tying a string to it so it was easy to fish out. 2) its loud to zip and unzip! I had to go really slow zipping it up once I got DS asleep. Just took a little patience but was worth it!
    • Is there a cribs/travel crib/sleeping surface you don't have but are considering? Why?: I'll probably end up buying another one of these. DS slept in it for 5.5 months in our room. I might have this baby go into their room sooner though because as soon as we put DS in his crib at 5.5 months he started STTN again.
    I dont know if this has been discussed anywhere and it's not technically a sleep surface but I used it with DS every single day for setting him down while I got things done around the house and he would often fall asleep in it- what are you guys doing about the rock n play? It was a life saver for me and I have no idea what I'm going to use this time!
  • Options
    @dumbledoredies seriously I have the same question! The RnP was a literal lifesaver and honestly she slept in it a lot too, so obviously that is out.  I am thinking if still using it though as long as she is awake.  Or I am awake to monitor her? Maybe? I don't know. I also may just do away with it totally as I have plans to get the rocking base for my Moses Basket and I may just use that instead for peace of mind.
  • Options
    @dumbledoredies Yep, same question here. We have a Tiny Love 3 in 1 rocker/napper that was recommended on Lucies List when DS was born as a safer alternative to the RnP, BUT it isn't available on Amazon anymore and isn't on Lucie's List anymore, so maybe it is no longer on production? At any rate, he didn't like it as much as the RnP, so it didn't get much use. And it was pretty bulky. Pic in spoiler.

We never had a bouncer,  so I've been checking out the Lucie's List article on them ( https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.lucieslist.com/guides/best-swings-and-bouncers/?amp ) and will probably get something from there. Of course I totally want the fancy ones, but will probably wind up with the cheapie ones. 
    Also, FWIW, we did tend to just put DS down on a blanket on the floor a lot too.
    TW
    Me: 33 DH: 32
    Started Dating: 2003 Married: 2013
    Started TTC August 2016
    BFP: 2/1/17 MC: 2/8/17
    BFP: 3/8/17 MMC: 5/1/17
    BFP: 7/23/17 EDD: 4/5/18
    BFP: 2/27/20

• Options
    crizz13crizz13 member
    We never had a rock n' play but had a bouncer and used the boppy lounger a lot for both girls. Both were inclined but we didn't use them ever for sleep. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    We are using the same crib we have for the other 2 kids. It converts to a toddler bed then a full size bed. My ONLY recommendation is buying the conversion kits up front. We didn't, and our crib is no longer made, so we will have to hunt down a full size frame fit when we finally need it. Luckily, the company gave us the info/measurements and said any bed store should have a match.
    Other than that, my kids slept in a swing or hand me down pack n play

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    potofgoldenpotofgolden member
    edited May 2020
    So I’m considering the Mockingbird stroller, which is the cheaper version on the Uppa Baby Vista. If I buy the bassinet attachment, could we use that as the main place where baby sleeps at night? Or are these just for quick naps while you are with baby?
  • Options
    @potofgolden I don’t know about Mockingbird, but we used the uppababy bassinet for bedtime every night for the first 4-5 months. Worked wonderfully, and when she started started to outgrow it, we had her in the pack-n-play for a bit and then transitioned her to her own room and crib
  • Options
    How long can you expect a toddler to use their crib once converted to a toddler bed? DD turns 2 in August, and while we already purchased the conversion kit with the assumption that she’d use it as a toddler, I’m questioning whether it’s worth it to buy a second crib or to just transition her to a separate bed when baby comes (or maybe just before to help with the transition). 
  • Options
     @doublestroller same question! We have a twin size bed that we could put sides on and I’m wondering if we could give DD that. And use her crib in the new nursery. Not that it matters they will probably both be sleeping in our room😝.
  • Options
    @doublestroller we're planning on just putting the twin/ full (i don't remember what size it is tbh) mattress on the floor in DS's new room a few months before baby comes. He's currently 16 months and perfectly content in the crib. Plus his new room is currently the storage room of the house... the baby will be in our room in a bassinet for the first 5-6 months but I've read it's better to do the transition earlier for the toddler 
  • Options
    @doublestroller Our crib is not convertible, so we had already decided to get DS1 a toddler bed before we had DS2. We also transitioned him a few months before. This time we're planning to get DS1 (he just turned 4) a twin sized bed and give DS2 the toddler bed, but we aren't going to do the transition until after Christmas because DS2 will only be 2 in October and I don't trust him outside of his crib! It won't matter because baby will be in our room for the first 5-6 months anyway and DS2 is a super chill kid.
  • Options
    @mimser that looks like a nice crib :) I love all the different set ups for the toddler/daybed.  Only thought you might want to consider is it doesn't appear to have a height adjustment so just be warned that it might be difficult putting a sleeping LO in it without waking them and getting LO out before they are sitting up/mobile might not be particularly easy.  Although if you're tall enough that might not be a problem.  #shortpeopleproblems

BFP 3/21/2020!  OMG We're having TWINS! 4/17/2020
    --------------------------------
    LO arrived 11/9/2018!  We have a baby!
    --------------------------------
    Me: 33 | DH: 41
    Married: March 2016
    TTC #1/IUD out January 2017
    PCOS dx January 2018
    Medicated cycle 2.5mg Letrozole CD3-7 February 2018
    BFP 3/10/2018! 
    -------------------------------

TTGP December Siggy Co-Winner: Favorite Moments from Holiday Movies/TV 
    TTGP October Siggy Winner: Animals in Costume 

• Options
    mimsermimser member
    @lurvleybunchococonuts thanks for the heads up! It's good because you had me go back and read the description again. It says it's a multi-level baby bed: "This multi-level bed, which gives you easy access to your baby [...]". If I understand correctly we'll be covered on that part, although I admit I don't see it from the picture either.
  • Options
    @mimser I like that crib. Very nice looking!