August 2020 Moms
Options

Product Spotlight: Bottles and Feeding

This is a place for FTMs to ask questions about, S+TMs to share their prior experience with, and everyone to share what they're eyeing in the world of maternity, baby and postpartum products. Each week we'll spotlight a new category of product to help streamline and make it easier to refer back. This week we are discussing Bottles and Feeding

To view past Product Spotlights or the upcoming schedule, see here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1DzmfbSu7toufv3p1VWNu1XOXDaU-tbI5FEfV8av46pc/edit?usp=sharing

Re: Product Spotlight: Bottles and Feeding

• Options
    Anyone have a nursing cover that they liked and can recommend?  Reviews on them seem pretty spotty.
    Me: 33  DH: 36
    Dating 4/2008
    Married 6/2016
    TTC #1  9/2019
    BFP 12/13/2019!
    EDD 8/27/2020 Baby Girl  <3
  • Options
    So I have lots of questions on this front, though some may overlap with the breast pump thread. Here we go!
    • I've heard all babies are different when it comes to bottle preferences. If I'm hoping to do a mix of breast feeding and pumping, how many bottles would you recommend having on hand to start? Is one of each type I want to try enough or should I have a few of each? I'm hoping to mostly start with bottles I receive in the welcome gifts from places like Amazon and Target (I haven't received these boxes yet so I'm just hoping there are bottle samples in them)
    • Do folks have a favorite nursing pillow? I'm thinking of this one, which seems like a hybrid of the original boppy and my breast friend
    • My dishwasher sometimes leaves a soapy residue behind (btw any tips for this?), so I think I'll mostly handwash bottles. Is it fine to use Dawn/my regular dish soap, or do y'all recommend something more natural/specific for babies. 
    • I've got my eyes on the Stokke highchair. I know it's so $$$, but I like that it seems to have a longer lifespan than a regular highchair (and isn't plastic). Does anyone have one? Do you think it's worth it? And what infant attachments do I actually need (cushion? tray?)
    Think that's it for now! Thanks in advance :) Y'all give the best advice!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @ziggymama06 FTM so take this with a grain of salt, but I'm planning to start with just using a muslin swaddle blanket and see if that works for me. 
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    @ziggymama06 I never had or felt like I needed a dedicated nursing cover.  Just a muslin swaddle or depending on the top, or where I was, I didn't even need one. 🤷

@rivercitynik I wouldn't go overboard with too many types, because you may get lucky and not need all those different options.  I received a couple samples we eventually used for water sippies because they had an interchangeable nipple / soft spout option (Avent Natural).  Otherwise the bottles I initially picked worked for us (Joovy Boob), so we stuck with those.  I only had some in the smaller size to start with tho to make sure before graduating to the larger size.  And the number you need will depend on various factors.  I would start with just a few and you can always buy more.  It's easier to have a few bottles you're hand-washing (and occasionally boiling) rather than a whole heap.  It's just more to let pile up, and more to wash, imho.  I just used our regular dish soap and rinsed well, but I do have a dedicated super clean collapsible washbin for bottle parts <i>only</i>, and dedicated brush.

<div class="Spoiler">Now I have to sadly say I didn't actually <i>100%</i> have success with the initial bottles I wanted.  Caveat being that I had hoped to use all glass, but I picked the brand did because I felt they had a superior plastic option (PPSU), and parts would be interchangeable.  But I started getting chips at the neck of the glass ones, and even after the company replaced (EXCELLENT Customer Service I have to say) so they sent me all PPSU replacements and that's what we used for the duration.  I was bummed that the glass didn't work out for us, but glad that I felt good at least about my high quality plastic backup option, and we didn't have to switch nipples.  Also, while the nipples and vent rings were all the same, the collars and kids were not, so it wasn't as if they were as interchangeable as I had hoped.  But whatever.</div>
    Re: pumping
    <div class="Spoiler">Another factor that I thought was really important (and turned out <i>not</i> to be) was the ability to pump directly into the bottles I was using.  I got the adapters, but honestly I just didn't get that much pumping that it mattered.  I pretty much pumped into the bottles that came with the pump, and then poured into the little milk tubes the lactation department gave me for storage, until I was ready to pour baby a bottle, or freeze.  So I found something that worked for basically free lol and I needn't have been worried about fancy adapters and researching bottle / pump compatibility etc.  Wasted energy.</div>
    Re: freezing
    <div class="Spoiler">I froze what I could into the milkies milk trays and then bagged, and will most likely do the same, especially if my supply is on the low side again.  I liked the ability to freeze an ounce or two at a time, rather than have to wait and fill a whole storage bag at a time.  When the 8oz tray was full, I would put two of those in a ziplock and date, so I had 16oz freezer bags, portioned into 1oz sticks.  But there is no wrong way to do it, and you can figure that out as you go. </div>
    Re: wooden high chairs
    <div class="Spoiler">I didn't look at the stokke, but I also wanted non plastic.  I got a wooden one for the dining room, but it doesn't go counter height or recline, so I ended up getting a second for the kitchen afterall. 🤷 The wooden one we have also converts through stages, but now that DD is a toddler, I just haven't played around with it enough to know how great it may or may not continue to work for us.  But I'm hopeful!  I know one of the Montessori moms I watch loves her stokke she got second hand and repainted, or maybe it's even a knockoff, I'm not sure.  But that's what I'm hoping is ours will adjust similarly so DD can climb in herself but still be boosted.</div>
    For a nursing pillow I just used whatever pillows I had around the house, and it worked just fine.  I had a boppy, but it honestly just felt too stiff for me and I didn't use it much.  I have been curious about trying the brest friend tho, so I will definitely look at that link you provided!  DD uses her boppy still to sit in, which is adorable, btw, but otherwise I'm not sure even a special BF pillow is necessary, unless you're having trouble getting comfortable using what you have.  I know DH would probably pitch a fit if I bought a new nursing pillow for this babe lol so I'm personally undecided.  ETA looking at it, I think I would have preferred that to the typical boppy for fit / comfort, but I'm not sure the design retains the long-term multi-functionality of the regular one, if you even care about something like that.  But it looks like a solid choice!
  • Options
    @rivercitynik I love the design of the Stokke as I want a wooden highchair as well.  I really didn't want to spend that much and found a good alternative with the Abiie... Any one have this?  Link below..
    Me: 33  DH: 36
    Dating 4/2008
    Married 6/2016
    TTC #1  9/2019
    BFP 12/13/2019!
    EDD 8/27/2020 Baby Girl  <3
  • Options
    Yes! @ziggymama06 that's what we have.  It's worked great for us so far; I can play around with it and report back!  But like I said, we just keep it in the DR because it doesn't adjust up to our island height.  DD is at the stage where we strap her in (we only ever used 3 pts tho) and scoot her up to the table, rather than use the tray.  It's a bit shallow with the plastic cover on, so her EZPZ mini mat doesn't fit; we always just fed her directly from the tray.
  • Options
    @ziggymama06, I sewed my own of this type. I liked it. Mine, however, is quite a bit wider from side to side than most of the standard commercially-made ones. I don't think I'd like a narrower one.

@rivercitynik
    -I had Tommee Tippee, Medela that came with the pump, and a Dr. Brown's that came in the Target registry bag. We only used the Dr. Brown's. Tommee Tippee seemed to not flow well. The Medela's were fine, but I liked the vent on the Dr. Brown's. As a thrifty person, I started basic and wouldn't expand unless I had to. I didn't buy any bottles for D2, who I ended up exclusively bottle-feeding. The Tommee Tippee were left over from D1, who never used them. 
    -Pillow. I never had one. I would sometimes use our regular throw pillows, though. 
    -Cleaning. Yes, our dishwashers (two different ones over the course of bottle-feeding) never seemed to get the bottles fully clean, so I hand-washed. I just used our regular dish soap. 
    -High chair. Personally, I like the kind that straps to a chair. It takes up less space. I would NOT get cushions. They will just get messy, and if they're the plasticky kind, they will crack over time and then get even messier. Our chair is just hard plastic.
  • Options
    @ziggymama06 I loved a nursing cover that went around my head simply because my son loved to wiggle and a blanket would have fallen right off. I used one most of the time because he would get distracted and I was just not comfortable with him pulling off and squirting someone in the face which he was prone to do frequently. I like this one it had an adjustable neck strap and it came away from your chest a little so baby still got air and you could easily look down while feeding. I actually used this one to breastfeed while walking down the aisle at my sisters rehearsal dinner... Plus it folds into its attached little pocket for easy storage in the diaper bag!
    https://www.buybuybaby.com/store/product/boppy-reg-nursing-cover-in-boho-grey/1045791963?keyword=nursing-cover
  • Options
    @rivercitynik
    - bottles: we bought avent bottles and they worked fine, never had to try a different type. We started using a bottle a few times a week at 2.5/3 weeks and I recommend premie bottle nipples if you plan to start that early because even the newborn flow is faster than a breast. 
    - pillow: I had the breast friend and boppy. Breast friend was essential for me the first month or two as it helped me get a good latch on the left side and avoid nipple injury (which I had the first two weeks and was so painful!). After my daughter had better head/neck control I switched to the Boppy and used it until she was 18 months or so. 
    - soap: I Highly recommend unscented Dapple bottle soap. We still use it on sippy cups. It was amazing on pump parts and bottles, it gets rid of all milk residue. I agree with those above who said separate drying rack. We got the Boon lawn and some of the accessories. It lasted 2 years are so, I’ll get it again this time. 

Anyone have recommendations for a good bottle warmer? Something compact? We use Avent bottles if type matters. Last time I breastfed and pumped for 10 months, but this time I’m thinking of doing less pumping and nursing and maybe doing a combo of formula and breastmilk so I can pump less and delegate feeding more often?! 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I got a cheap nursing cover. One that is stretchy and goes around my neck. It can double as a car seat cover. A blanket will work but my baby was a squirmer and when I was new to breastfeeding, I needed something with more reliable coverage since I had to do a lot of adjusting. You can experiment with onea blanket and see what works for you. There are some covers that are more structured too. 

I registered for one bottle of a few different brands. Tommee tippee was his favorite, but I saved the others to try with this little one. I saved some gift cards that we got as gifts specifically to stock up the bottles that he liked. 

We have a boppy. I didn't use it much for nursing but loved it as he got older. I would prop him up on it and if was handy when he was learning to sit independently. I'm not gonna lie, I would lay on it when we were playing on the floor! Haha it's comfy and supports the shoulders well. 

We don't have a dishwasher (yet) so I hand washed everything. Regular dishsoap has been fine. Rinse them well though! We did use our sterilizer about once a week to give everything a good clean. Especially pump parts because there are so many small parts. 

We we're pretty basic with highchairs. Wanted something collapsible, convertible, easy to clean, not too extravagant. 
  • Options
    @ziggymama06 Like others, I never had a nursing cover and just used a light swaddle if my top and the situation called for it. Latching did not come super easy for DS and me, and I understand from friends the "apron style" provides more visibility/freedom of movement than the more "poncho-like style" if you find yourself in a similar situation.

-- We had one bottle each of tommee tippee, como tomo and dr. brown's on hand, but tried the tommee tippee first and since it seemed to work fine, never opened the others. In a normal situation I'd probably advise to just get your first choice and then Target's there for you if you need it, but in pandemic land having 2 or 3 could provide peace of mind. Babylist has a "bottle box" sampler that's pretty genius! Of any one type, I don't think you'll need more than 1 bottle in the beginning. You're washing pump parts so often anyways, it's not a big deal to clean between uses. You can stock up once you know what baby likes. Once DS started daycare, we needed at least 4 to send every day and ended up with 7 because I wanted to wash my pumping parts/bottles along with his empty daycare bottles, but needed something already clean and dry to put the milk in. (If that makes any sense at all.)

-- On nursing pillows I only have an anti-recommendation, the Infantino elevate. It just wasn't very functional. I mostly used our couch pillows but did borrow a friend's Boppy once and it was nice!

--Dawn works great for bottles. IMO, you DO need a specialized bottle scrubber brush thing. I used the "dunk and swish" method for the first couple months before caving and then was all ohhhhh that's what a clean bottle looks like.

--We have the Stokke Tripp Trapp and I love, love, love it. It's DS' everything chair and I expect will be for years yet, and having him right at the table with us from the get go (with supported feet like @wednesdaygirl1019 mentioned - it really matters!) was great. We used (and needed) the baby set for the first year or so -- we got the baby cushion as well but would have been fine without. We don't use a cushion now that we've graduated out of the baby set attachment.
  • Options
    cornichonmamcornichonmam member
    edited May 2020

Bottles - I 95% breast fed so we didn't use them much but we have the Lansinoh ones and the manual pump.

Pillow - I did have a horseshoe pillow but I didn’t like it, I used a regular bed pillow and it was perfect. Caveats for that are, I almost exclusively fed using the football hold and my baby was 9lb so was never tiny.

Cleaning - Never had an issue but we also use a steriliser after cleaning as all my pumped milk was stored afterwards.

Highchair - Have a look at the Hauck Alpha+ it's very similar to the Stokke and half the price.

Cover - I just wore a light scarf, that worked well, then after a few monthst I didn't care + baby did not messaround and got on with the job. (edit - I forgot about the cover)

• Options
    @cornichonmam I was reading too fast and could have sworn you said "I almost exclusively fed during football." Was SO curious to hear what followed...
  • Options
    Nursing cover: I mostly didn't use, but when I did (e.g. if I was with my ILs or guy friends) I liked the NuRoo. I had another one that was more tent-like and it was just a nuisance. If you have friends with kids, see if they have one they will let you try. 

Nursing pillow: Waste of money. Just use regular pillows. The boppy lounger can be useful as a baby container, though. 

Bottles: If BF'ing works for you, you have time to figure bottles out. If it doesn't, the baby won't be picky yet at a few days old and the hospital will give you some tiny bottles to start. We used mostly Avent and Comotomo and she was happy with both. People also recommend Dr. Browns a lot, but they have a million pieces and are a PITA to wash. Avoid the MAM bottles because they leak easily. 

Bottle washing: We hand washed the bottles for the most part with castille soap. +1 on the Boon grass, and get the bigger one if you have space for it. We sterilized about 1x/month in a boiling pot of water. 

Bottle warmer: We didn't need one. Mostly gave milk cold from the fridge, or put the bottle with cold milk in a cup of hot water for a minute. I would wait to see if your baby complains about cold milk before getting one. You may also want to know if your milk/baby has lipase issues first, because that requires a different type of heating. 

High chair: The stokkes are really nice, but didn't work for our space. You can usually find them for much cheaper on local BST groups if price is your only concern. Most high chairs do the job. Just get one you can stand to look at in your kitchen for the next 2 years (plus in the 10,000 pictures you take of baby eating) and is easy to clean. 
  • Options
    pengy16pengy16 member
    Nursing cover: I got the one the different companies give you a free code for. I used it a few time but felt odd breastfeeding in public (DS1 was born when it was super taboo) so I never really used it since I did most of my breastfeeding at home. 
    Nursing pillow: a waste. I used a regular pillow. I got the boppy but it was super uncomfortable. We did use it for tummy time with DS1 when he was a few months old. 
    Bottles: I really liked the munchkin latch bottles (new and in all the sample bags with DS1) so we tried those out. They had the anticolic air vent at the back and was made for breastfed babies. It was easy to clean too (unscrew lid, clean bottle and lid and your are done). DS1 liked them so we bought a few more when he started daycare. We needed to send in 4 so we bought a few extra. When he got older, daycare said he needed 5-6oz at a time so we bought the 4 larger bottles (8oz). We still have them and might look into reusing them, just get new nipples, if they are still in good condition. When I looked them up, it looks like they dont sell them anymore or at least not as prevalent. We also got lots of free bottles in the sample boxes this time around that we will test out as well before we purchase any. 
    I did see these bottles: https://www.target.com/p/nanobebe-baby-bottle-starter-set-with-warmer-38-pacifiers-teal/-/A-75563489 
    I was contemplating trying them out but not sure if I want to buy anything yet. 
    Bottle washing: we washed them by hand everyday since we only run our dishwasher every few days. It was easier to clean them when we got home from daycare and then prepare them the night before. We use dawn to hand wash everything so we just used that on the bottles. We did get a microwave bottle steam cleaner from someone that we used about 1x/month. 
    Bottle warmer: we never used it. It was part of the set with the steamer but we never really used it. DS1 was fine with cold milk. 
    High chair: We lived in a smaller space and needed a space saver highchair that attached to one of our dining room chairs. It was a fisher price hard plastic with plush cover on it. We need to wash the cover but we plan to re-use it for this baby too. 
  • Options
    We never had it needed a bottle warmer either.  Her teacher seemed surprised that as a BF baby, she would take cold milk from the fridge, but it was never an issue so I didn't stress it. 🤷
  • Options
    My DS didnt care for any bottles but would break down and use the Avent ones but only took 5 ounces ever from them so we just used the couple sample ones and never bought any since he was BF and only got a bottle when at my aunts house which was only for 2 bottles a day MAX. We had gotten the COMOTOMO from our baby shower and I loved them but DS had the final say  :/ 
    Bottle warmers are pretty useless 90% of the time it just takes longer and a lot of babies are fine with cold milk. We just ran the bottle under warm water or sat it in a cup of warm water for a few minutes for a scheduled-ish feed but again 98% of feeds was straight from the source anyway.