August 2015 Moms

Baby tummy problems

My baby boy just turned 1 mo old and since about 4 days old he's had some issues that have only gotten worse. He spits up constantly, a lot more than what is normal for a baby his age. The doctor keeps saying to wait it out on his formula but he seems so miserable. Also, after he eats, his belly gets bloated and rock hard and he grunts and arches his back in pain and pulls up his legs almost until it's time for his next feeding. We have tried gas drops, probiotic drops, gripe water. Nothing helps and his doctor still keeps saying to wait it out and I'm sick of seeing my baby in pain! Anyone experience this or have advice on ways to help him? He barely soundly sleeps because he's in so much pain and I know he has to be exhausted. :(

Re: Baby tummy problems

• I would bring it up to your doctor again and if they continue to tell you to just wait it out I would get a second opinion. Have you tried a sensitive or gentle formula? It is OK to try different formulas as long as it is within the same brand name.
  • What kind of formula are you feeding him? He might have a milk sensitivity, which is super common. I know Similac puts out an Acid reflux formula and Enfamil has Gentle Ease, or you could try soy and see if that helps.

Something that really helps my baby with gas is a warm bath. I put her in her baby tub, drap a wet washcloth over her chest and pour water over her with a glass. She instantly relaxes as soon as she gets into the water and after about 10 mn starts tooting up a storm.

One thing I've found with the gas drops is they tend to be a better preventative then treatment. We give them at the beginning of every feeding starting with her early evening feeds until early morning which is when she typically has gas problems and this seems to have really helped.
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm breastfeeding but when my baby seems like she had gas, I try to help get it out. I saw some videos on gently pushing the legs one at a time in a circular motion towards their tummies which I try and I also try putting her on her tummy over my leg to put some pressure on the belly and patting her back. Both of these seem to help move the gas along because she relaxes when I do them.
  • Have you thought about trying a different bottle? With DD, we used the Tommie Tippie for colic but with DS, Dr Browns bottles gave him less gas.

• Get a different pediatrician.

This happened to us with our first child. The pedi kept blowing off my concerns, even though I'm the one spending all day with my baby. I knew she was in pain and something wasn't right. Saw a new pedi and she was finally diagnosed with silent reflux. Meds made a world of difference.
    BFP #1 9/23/09. Missed MC 10w3d D&C 11/3/09.

BFP #2 4/13/10. Bridget born 12/28/10

BFP #3 Finn born 8/11/15

[url=http://www.thebump.com/?utm_source=ticker&utm_medium=UBB&utm_campaign=tickers][img]http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tt1cb8c4.aspx[/img][/url]

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I've tried enfamil gentle ease and it made things worse so now we are on enfamil AR which has rice added and that helped with his spit up but not his horrible belly problems
  • We use the Dr. Browns for colic
  • Exactly. We know our babies as we are with them all day long rather than the hour the pedi sees them. I had acid reflux when I was a baby and my mom says he acts the exact same way I did and he needs medicine. I hate seeing him in pain.
  • The symptoms you described sound like acid reflux. I would get a second opinion.
  • Another thing you can try is a warm blanket on his belly. I use a heating pad and cover it with a blanket then lay my son down on top of it, belly down for about 10 minutes. The heat helps.
  • Try Tommie Tippie bottle for colic or Dr Browns bottles. Also u can change the formula. Aptamil comfort is for colic kids. U can buy tummy toy which helps to reduce colic and ur kid also enjoy that. Try to put ur kid on his tummy , this also helps in reducing the colic. Gripe water and pediacol also an option which u can give. One home remedie is put
    Asafoetida mix with few drops on water on ur kid belly botton , I m sure he wil be fine
  • This sounds like reflux. Our pedi talked to me about it at our 2 week visit since my son spits up a lot and appears to have discomfort after eating. She said reflux symptoms would probably get worse and spit up would increase after the first 2 weeks. She told me to keep him upright or elevated for 30 min after eating if you haven't tried that yet. They have mild reflux meds for babies so you may want to try a new pedi who will listen. Good luck!
  • Thank you everyone for all the advice and suggestions !! I am thinking I'm going to get a second pedi opinion and also try all the comfort techniques to help his poor belly !!
  • My baby has similar symptoms and the pedi also recommended burping her just by rubbing her back instead of patting, and trying not to bounce her in the time after she eats!