November 2020 Moms

Appointment question, choosing a doctor

I posted this in a comment but didn’t want it to get lost:

This is my first baby in the area I live in. I have an apt on March 24, I’ll be 6w +3. I’m not really sold on this Dr. though so I have another appointment on April 3 with a different doctor. Hopefully I like one of them. I don’t really have anyone to ask for references and I don’t want to post in my local mom group since it’s so early. So, we’ll see. I’ve never had such an early appointment. I was 16 weeks when I found out with my first daughter and 11 or 12 with my second. So I don’t know how super early appointments usually are handled. 

What can I expect? What’s pertinent information to have or questions to ask at this stage?

I’m having a routine c section also, what are some questions you’d ask to feel or e the dr to see if you like them?
ECat504
SO
SD (11/2010)
DD1 (09/2014)
DD2 (10/2015)
Baby Girl #4 (11/2020)

Re: Appointment question, choosing a doctor

• I have my first appointment next week and it is just going over a packet that I have to fill out. My appointment after that I will meet a doctor and hear the heartbeat
  • *Lurking* 
    Most of the time it is filling out forms, going over medical history, they may try to find heart beat or do a dating U/S if there is uncertainty about dates. Sometimes you get a packet of info of what to expect during pregnancy and sometimes information on potential tests you have done such as NIPT or NT scan. 
  • Loading the player...
  • lovelee3lovelee3 member
    edited March 2020
    @mrsswashbuckle that’s what I was told my first appointment would be. Oddly, they want to do it with me over phone call...
    My second appointment will be dating ultrasound and potentially heart beat?! So exciting and terrifying lol
    Me: 27 DH: 30
    Started dating: 10/2010 ;; Married 10/2017
    Started TTC: 10/2019
    BFP: 12/20/19 ;; MC: 12/24/19
    BFP: 3/5/20 ;; EDD: 11/11/20
  • Just had my appointment today at 6w2d and the same as everyone else that has posted is what the initial intake is. It was a review of histories and any additions, the general do’s and don’ts, the type of screenings and tests I want to elect to have done and I scheduled my dating u/s for Friday! Also found out that even though this pregnancy starts at 34 for me since I turn 35 next month I’m AMA. Was hoping maybe to avoid it, but it’s okay. 
  • The first appt in my area is a bit different. They don’t see you at all until you are in between 7-9 weeks. Then, they do a urine test, papsmear and an ultrasound for dating and heartbeat! I don’t have one until April 8 and will be 9 weeks plus a day. I am already trying to find ways to pass the time! Haha thankfully I have my other two littles running around. 💜 
  • @lovelee3 it may be different for me because we are military. They will give me a ton of resources at that appointment. Even give me prenatals if I want. I'll let you know all it intels next week though. 
  • Could you post in your local group saying that you're TTC and would love to get a head start on finding an OB?
    Otherwise try searching for previous posts about it. I know our local group gets asked recommendations for Pediatricians almost weekly, so an OB post might already be there too

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Could you post in your local group saying that you're TTC and would love to get a head start on finding an OB?
    Otherwise try searching for previous posts about it. I know our local group gets asked recommendations for Pediatricians almost weekly, so an OB post might already be there too
    Great idea, I’m definitely not comfortable posting that I’m TTC, I keep my nose down in there (haha). But searching the group is probably going to be helpful. Thanks for the suggestion. 
    ECat504
    SO
    SD (11/2010)
    DD1 (09/2014)
    DD2 (10/2015)
    Baby Girl #4 (11/2020)