September 2020 Moms
Options

COVID/Coronavirus Thread

Re: COVID/Coronavirus Thread

• Options
    My elective US for gender was cancelled. And while I understand and support it, and know there are much bigger things to worry about, I’m still bummed about it! 
  • Options
    Anyone else predicting a baby boom in 9 months? I mean people are in self isolation or shelter in place...🤷‍♀️...talk about the future and further strain on the health system.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm worried about my 3d ultrasound being cancelled. The offices are currently closed for 2 weeks and are supposed to reopen just before my appointment but I can see them extending the shut down 😩
    Momma to 3 angels and two amazing children
    F born June 2018
    W born September 2020
    #3 due November 2022
  • Options
    Hi all, I'm new to these boards but I thought I'd give this a shot since I was honestly scared about giving birth BEFORE the pandemic. It's helpful to read how others are handling this. I'm in the UK and I just received an email from the doctor who will deliver my baby in September saying that I might want to reduce the number of antenatal appointments from what is standard due to the virus (aka my midwife visiting could expose myself, my family, and my unborn child to coronavirus). Are you all limiting your antenatal care as a result of the pandemic? I found a resource that quantifies the risk (covid19riskcalculator.com) that is making me consider doing so and also an article called Hold the Line by an epidemiologist named Johnathan Smith that is very convincing re isolation right now. What do you think the risk is to continuing antenatal visits as planned and are you adjusting your care in pregnancy to accommodate this new situation?? 
  • Options
    @beaandthebabes thank you, such a good way to put it ! 
  • Options
    knottie My appointments have not been reduced yet, but with the exception of my anatomy scan I am perfectly okay with not seeing the OB again until June and just doing bloodwork as needed and checking in on the phone. 
    Pregnancy TickerDS1 8/15
    DS2 5/17
    #3 Due 9/20
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Anyone concerned about their mat leave? Our company closed its doors and now on EI. I was counting on taking the year off after baby. Our province requires 600 hours before mat leave begins but no wheres hiring... stressed!
  • Options
    I have no idea if my appointments will change or not, I should maybe call the office but I have until the 10th, soo..
    I'm honestly a bit confused, what's antenatal care?
    As for my maternity leave, it's the one area where Amazon is a blessing. I get a month of prepartum leave and then ten weeks postpartum leave 100% paid. Upon going back to work, they start me off slow so I can ease my way back into working while adjusting to having the baby.
  • Options
    @raesky1111 that’s a super generous leave. I think Antenatal is what we call prenatal since we are technically not “prenatal” anymore lol my company will give me 2 weeks paid leave and then the rest is unpaid. If I was a higher manager I could get 6. Still have no idea how we are going to swing it. 
  • Options
    @tuesdayw1992 I actually already had my hours for leave ready in early February, and because I work in a care home (which obviously won't close) I'm not in the same boat, but I have several moms in my mom chat group who are. The general consensus is that the emergency EI is different from regular EI and shouldn't affect your maternity. If you're on regular EI, your best bet is to call and ask and I've heard that they might just change your regular EI to maternity once the time comes. There also might not be any answers about it yet since this is unprecedented and everyone seems to be flying by the seat of their pants. However, I'm positive by the time September rolls around that there will be an answer.
    F born June 2018
    W born September 2020
    #3 due November 2022
  • Options
    Just had my 16 week. The doctor said the best thing to do if we can is shelter in place and follow social distancing. Good hand washing and clean, clean, clean. 
  • Options
    “Your provider has been scheduled for set rotations. At this time, you may see one of our other care providers for your needs. The following additional changes have been made in order to keep our patients, our staff and our facilities a safe environment while providing you with continuity of care:
    §The clinic will limit visits to all pregnant patients and urgent gynecology/women’s health needs 
    §Pre-visit, screening calls to reduce potential spreading of COVID-19
    §Requesting no visitors at appointments, with some exceptions
    §Enhanced cleaning procedures in rooms and clinic

§You will still have your regularly scheduled OB appointments 
    §Visits will be with one of our caring clinic doctors or nurse practitioners, exclusive to our clinic
    §Labor, delivery and postpartum care will be with one of our dedicated, delivering OB physicians 
    §Your hospital care may be from an OB physician other than the one you had seen in clinic previously. If your OB physician happens to be on labor and delivery on the day you are in labor, induced, or have a cesarean section, you may possibly be delivered by him/her. When possible, we will make efforts to connect you with your regular physician, without any guarantee
    §Once COVID-19 concerns lessen, the practice intends to return to normal operations”

So I still get my appointments but I will be playing musical chairs as far as what doctor I see and my husband will have to hang in the car (I don’t drive) 
    Hopefully this will have mostly been contained by September. I had to have my first c-section with a doctor that wasn’t my doctor and I was really hoping this time I would be able to really know and trust the person who will do my surgery.
  • Options
    @raesky1111 that is a GREAT package for the US ✨ Anything less is inhumane. In Israel, it's 3 months 100% paid, and you can take another 3 months unpaid but with your position held for you. It's not the easiest country to live in, but the social welfare policies are 👌🏼
  • Options
    I'm planning on taking the 18 month maternity 🙊 first 17 weeks are at 55% and the remainder is at 33% of your gross average of the highest pays from the previous 52 weeks.
    F born June 2018
    W born September 2020
    #3 due November 2022
  • Options
    I can take up to 12 weeks unpaid through FMLA. I have to use all my sick time if I want a paycheck. USA needs to get up to date on MAT leave. 
  • Options
    How many of you are still getting take out/delivery during this?
  • Options
    @chasingroygbiv I am grappling with this. There is a couple local places that I would be crushed if they went under so we have sent H to do carry out. We will likely do it once a week. 
    Pregnancy TickerDS1 8/15
    DS2 5/17
    #3 Due 9/20
  • Options
    @tuesdayw1992 Not really worried as there is no formal maternity leave at my employer and as of now it is business as usual but remotely. @raesky1111 For America’s shit standards that is a kick ass leave. It is fascinating/disheartening hearing about everyone’s leave options. We should have a thread about what people are getting in terms of leave and questions regarding it. 
    Pregnancy TickerDS1 8/15
    DS2 5/17
    #3 Due 9/20
  • Options
    @Louise_Belcher That was our plan as well and to try to do options that aren’t generally handled too much, anyway. I transfer everything to our own dishes right away when it comes while wearing gloves. So hard to know anymore what’s best. Seems everything is so dangerous. Ugh. 
  • Options
    @chasingroygbiv H And I got McDonald’s today. They were even wearing gloves. Idk. Probably not the best decision 
  • Options
    I am so aware of my privilege here and blessed for it. It's the only reason I haven't left Amazon yet. I feel for the rest of you that don't have the best of options though, for new mothers that is entirely inhumane  :(  
  • Options
    TW possible illness

My mom told me today that my sister, who’s in NJ, has symptoms and is probably going to get tested tomorrow. I hope she will be alright! 
  • Options
    @greyl I hope she is okay and that if it is positive that her symptoms stay mild. It is getting so real as more people I know have friends and loved ones testing positive. 
    Pregnancy TickerDS1 8/15
    DS2 5/17
    #3 Due 9/20
  • Options
    Oooh that's rough greyl
    I haven't had anyone I'm very close to test yet or show symptoms as far as I know, but I know it's a matter of time and I'm just hoping that it won't be someone that will get hard by it. 
  • Options
    @louise_belcher @raesky1111 thank you both!! I’m hoping it stays mild for her too. She’s 21 and I think in relatively good health. So I told my mom to keep me updated! 
  • Options
    Hi friends. Sorry I haven’t been around much- there hasn’t been much to say! My 12 week appointment got cancelled and I’m not going back now until 20 weeks. I did have my NT scan and everything was fine on that. I’m glad to not have to go to the hospital with everything going on (there are a lot of cases here) but I wish I would get to hear the Doppler again before then since I can’t feel any movements yet (14+1 today). How is everything doing with everything?
    DD born 6/21/2018
    DS born 9/24/2020
  • Options
    @elsie42 That is such a long wait between appointments. Hopefully kicks start early for piece of mind. Things are fine enough over here. The new normal is weird, but we feel very fortunate that currently it still includes seeing my parents and having childcare (by my mom) while we work so we are not needing to juggle both. It is such a weird time to be pregnant.
    Pregnancy TickerDS1 8/15
    DS2 5/17
    #3 Due 9/20
  • Options
    My next appointment is apparently going to be a phone appointment, which is unfortunate, but I had a local mom offer to give me her old doppler to at least ease my anxiety a bit.
    Definitely a weird time to be pregnant
    F born June 2018
    W born September 2020
    #3 due November 2022
  • Options
    I had to go to maternal fetal medicine for a cervical length check today. The doctor was across the hall from me but we did the appointment on the phone. It was weird.  At that office it didn't seem like many special precautions were taken. But I had to go pick up a prescription and do a blood draw at my main clinic and I had to go to through 3 levels of screening including having my temperature taken. I'm glad they are taking precautions but it was just so bizarre.  I agree that it is strange times to be pregnant right now.  
  • Options
    I hope all mommas and their families are healthy and well!
    Unfortunately I got a voicemail today, while my appointment is still on for Friday (yay), my SO won't be able to come with me anymore as I understood it. 
    Have any of you had any luck with asking to record ultrasounds or get a recording of them? Looking into it briefly, I didn't see any medical reasons not to (like it hurting the baby) but more legal. Had a friend who said she recorded a few of hers sneakily on occasions her boyfriend couldn't go with. I'm considering doing the same honestly, this all means so much to my SO since he's had these experiences taken from him before.
  • Options
    @raesky1111 my OB office had no issues with me FaceTiming my ultrasound at 8 weeks because my hubby couldn’t be with me. I don’t think they will have any issues for me doing the same for the Anatomy scan. My OB also let me video the heartbeat from the Doppler at my 12 week appointment again because my hubby couldn’t be with me. This is my 3rd pregnancy and I know they have allowed the same thing for my previous pregnancies. I would gather though it is going to differ by each OB practice.
  • Options
    @raesky1111 that sucks! I’m still under the impression my husband can come. They said if it is essential for him to be there then it’s okay. And for me it’s essential. Both of us are planning on wearing masks too. We are in Michigan and the cases are pretty high in our state. Not too bad in our area. 
  • Options
    I’m at the office waiting for my appointment and there’s so many women here! I’m just glad they have a huge waiting room. They asked me before i got up here if I had any symptoms but as of right now they’re still allowing one support person. I didn’t bring H though. I’m still going to ask if I can record the heartbeat for him. 
  • Options
    I got the phone call this morning confirming my anatomy scan appointment tomorrow and they let me know that only patients are allowed in the building, so I will be going at this alone. I expected it was coming, but I am still heartbroken. When I go I will ask if I can face time him and hope that my service is good enough in the building for it to work. @ktholysz I am in Michigan too and there are not too many cases here yet either, but it is ticking up.
    Pregnancy TickerDS1 8/15
    DS2 5/17
    #3 Due 9/20
  • Options
    @Louise_Belcher I’m just praying this let up a little before the 20th. It’s going to be really really tough if my husband can’t come to our anatomy scan. Since we found out at our angel son’s AS that we lost him. It’s so much anxiety just going let alone my husband not being allowed. I mean I totally get it all and I asked to move my ultrasound to my office verses MFM and they said no. I’ll have to just keep positive and hope for the best. 
  • Options
    @ktholysz My fingers are crossed for you. My anatomy scan is at MFM as well. My regular OB office called yesterday about my appointment next week to let me know that they also do not allow support people anymore. It just sucks and is very hard. H doesn't usually come to most appointments, but hasn't missed an ultrasound before.
    Pregnancy TickerDS1 8/15
    DS2 5/17
    #3 Due 9/20
  • Options
    I’m sorry for everyone who can’t bring their husbands to their appointments 😞 I have a feeling mine is going to change too because my midwife said today they expect our peak to happen in the next few weeks. And my next appointment (20 weeks) is going to be virtual . It will be a week after my AS So at least it won’t be too bad to not have a Doppler but I still like going in. I’ll have to get a scale though.