August 2020 Moms
Options

The Great Registry and Baby Shower Thread

13»

Re: The Great Registry and Baby Shower Thread

• Options
    @charhar0820 Hahaha. Someone gifted us one of those giant keyboard mats as well, and it was donated before it was ever even used. 😂
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @emiliadkay That sounds like a nightmare! I have a feeling my dog would probably destroy something that moved on its own if given the chance, though. 

We've been trying to make it clear that we want to be as eco-friendly as possible while doing the least eco-friendly thing possible - bringing another human into the world - and I’ve requested no plastic unless it’s a hand-me-down. Hoping that will limit the annoying toys...
  • Options
    whl1013whl1013 member
    Alright... so I need some opinions on how to approach a situation.  I want to preface all of this by saying that I hate coming off as though it is an expectation that someone throw me a shower, and that is why I have some reservations about how to move forward.  Anyway, back around Christmas after my husband and I announced we were expecting, my sister-in-law immediately said that she would like to throw me a shower.  We didn't have a conversation about it or anything at the time; I just remember acknowledging it by saying how sweet that was of her, and then thinking that we'd revisit it at a time when it was more relevant.  Fast forward a few months, and we all know what has happened to the idea of planning a shower.  I by no means am wanting anything between now and August for the obvious safety precautions and I am hopeful instead to do a sip 'n see in the fall, but my sister in law has yet to bring this up to me since she made the comment in passing in December.  I guess my question is... is it appropriate to initiate this conversation with her or should I just let it be since she hasn't said anything.  I have a close relationship with her, I am just awkward about initiating these types of conversations because I don't want her to feel obligated to do something if she isn't able or interested in it anymore - which I would totally understand.  Thoughts??
  • Options
    @whl1013 Personally, I think it should be totally okay for you to bring that topic up. I did the same with my "planner", especially with the whole C19 situation, you want to make sure to "spell it out". 
  • Options
    I would just bring it up. Say something like “I know you offered to throw us a shower back when that was a normal thing to do, but given the pandemic I’m thinking a sip and see might be more appropriate. What do you think?” That way you are acknowledging the offer and giving her room to step up and host without cornering her into doing it. It also gives her room to share any ideas she has been considering.