May 2020 Moms

Weekly Randoms | Feb 17-23

Re: Weekly Randoms | Feb 17-23

• @catem07 It’s way more expensive to store both cord blood AND cord tissue. She told us both would collectively cost way more, but DS1’s oncologist told us they only need the cord blood for the transplant he would need. 

And I think some people pay for years at a time versus paying by the year, so they don’t forget. 
  • @catem07 I'm with you I thought it would be far more expensive than $175/year I was thinking they would want like $5k up front or something. 
  • Loading the player...
  • So stem cells can be used to in treatment of lots of things in future.  And they are constantly researching this and will likely find more uses in future.  Also it sounds like they somehow have to be a "match" for the person in need so that if a person needed stem cells for some treatment their best bet is their own or a close family member's.  Do I have the dumbed down version straight?
  • @pirateduck Yep. That’s the basics. Honestly, I know it’s probably not something that a lot of people will have the need for, but we’re in that category of people that assumed one thing and quickly learned otherwise. 
  • Does the laundry ever end????? Also thank you for info about the cord blood @rox7777 now I will remember to ask.
  • @mamaj1220 No, no, it doesn't, lol. Every time I think I'm done with laundry, the kids bring their hampers down  :D I have trained them to fold and stow their clothes, though, so I just have to wash and dry it and they do the rest.
  • @shamrocandroll it's doing this to me too! I thought I was going crazy this morning when it happened.
    Me: 31 ~ DH: 34 
    FTM
    BFP: 9/5/19 ~ EDD 5/15/20
  • Same @shamrocandroll and it's so annoying! My OCD self can't handle ignoring unread comments, even when I see it's my own. 
  • Same with the tags! Annoying!
  • Same issue with tags. TB is a mess
  • @shamrocandroll Me too! Glad I'm not going crazy!
  • We just found out that DH was a c-section baby and he was formula fed— he always assumed that he was born vaginally and was breast fed. I was also a c-section and formula fed. I don’t know if these types of things are hereditary but now I have it in my mind that I won’t be able to have the baby vaginally or breastfeed. 

Some family history. My mom had 4 c-sections. I’m the second oldest. She had an emergency c-section with my older brother. With me she tried to VBAC but I wasn’t cooperating so they had to do a c-section. The other two were planned c-sections and none of us were breastfed. DH is an only child. 
    Me: 28  DH: 29
    FTM
    BFP 08/25/19, EDD 05/04/20
  • @jrouge12 @rachelg777 Thanks! Logically, I’m sure I won’t have a problem delivering naturally or breastfeeding. However, I can’t help my irrational thoughts. Comes with being hormonal I guess. 
    Me: 28  DH: 29
    FTM
    BFP 08/25/19, EDD 05/04/20
  • @rachelg777 @drkoyya I know my mom worked for a bank back then, I'm sure there wasn't even a consideration for time or space for women to pump. In my new school building they've built in several dedicated rooms for pumping 🎉. With DD I had to use an admin's office who traveled a lot. 
  • @drkoyya My mom had one emergency CS and two elective. My first was a vaginal and she couldn’t believe I’d do it willingly. It blows her mind that I’m trying for a VBAC this time instead of doing a repeat CS. Different mindset for that crowd.

As for breastfeeding, MH and I (plus all my sisters) were formula babies right from the get go. MH has tons of cousins and family and they only formula feed. Once again I got crazy looks when DS2 was still breastfeeding at 2.5. You can try/do whatever it is that makes you a happy mama. And if you get the weird looks, just ignore them. As others mentioned, the times have changed a lot recently with the mindset on breastfeeding, especially extended breastfeeding and not everyone has adapted to that yet. 
  • @drkoyya Definitely not hereditary on the FF aspect.  There was definitely a push for formula being better for the baby back in the 80s.  Not sure about C-sections, but anecdotally, I was a C-section baby and was formula fed, and I'm pretty sure MH was a CS and FF as well.  I delivered DS vaginally (although not easily and he was almost a candidate for emergency CS) and successfully breastfed him for 6 months (although again, not easily).
    **TW**
    Me: 35 | H: 40
    Married Sept. 2013
    DS1: Nov 11, 2016 <3
    MMC: 11/16/18 (9w6d)
    CP: 2/3/19 (5w3d)
    BFP!  8/24/19
    DS2: May 10, 2020 <3

• @drkoyya Although I will say it can definitely have a negative effect on your support system for breastfeeding.  There was somewhat of a negative stigma around it in my family, which really bothered me.  I was having to constantly go hide away to nurse DS because it made them all feel uncomfortable, which was annoying.  Although secretly I loved it with the in-laws because it was an excuse to go sit by myself with the baby in a quiet room without them hogging him all to themselves.  
    **TW**
    Married Sept. 2013
    BFP!  8/24/19

• m6aguam6agua member
    edited February 2020
    @drkoyya I'm just here to give the opposite opinion as the others. While yes, in the 80s formula was marketed very well so a lot of women chose to do that because it worked well for those that worked, trouble breastfeeding can be hereditary too. I was born in '88 and formula fed, my mom has huge boobs and tried to breastfeed but always had trouble with supply. She has many sisters and after talking with some of them it seemed like several of them also had varying degrees of trouble with supply. I have small boobs and ended up having extreme trouble with supply (I've talked about it several times here). Basically from what I've found out is that the women in my family just don't seem to have enough glandular tissue for milk making and this is what can be hereditary. Size of the boobs doesn't matter, my moms are really large (DD+) but made up of mostly fatty tissue, mine are small (barely a B cup) and also seem to be made up of more fatty tissue. If you have widely spaced breasts, tubular breasts, really large areolas, a boob that is much larger than the other, or no breast changes in puberty and/or pregnancy these can all be signs that you may have mammary hypoplasia or IGT and it is possible that you will have  difficulty with breastfeeding or supply. Having a C-section on top of that can make it even harder for milk production to begin. Now there are people out there who have hypoplastic breasts and can breastfeed just fine, it is more of a spectrum. Sorry if this brings you down, in hindsight I wish people would have warned me of the possibility of not being able to breastfeed, I think it wouldn't have been so difficult and I wouldn't have been so hard on myself then.
    TTC#1 July 2015 
    • BFP: 9/16/15 — MC: 11/8/15 Blighted Ovum
    • BFP: 3/10/16 — Baby Girl born 11/20/16
    TTC#2 April 2019 
    • BFP: 9/12/19 — EDD 5/15/20

• @drkoyya my mother breastfed us (me and 2 siblings) for a month until we would sleep through the night with formula and I have been breastfeeding DD for the last 21 months, she's just starting to self wean now. I am the first of my family that I can remember who exclusively breastfed, my cousin who had a baby 5 month before DD pumped and gave bottles and formula because she didn't like to feed from the breast and though that was weird. My mother did have natural unmedicated births with all 3 of us and says it wasn't bad at all and doesn't understand why women scream while giving birth. I had to have a c-section due to DD being breech. I think births and breastfeeding have more to do with the individual than genes though saying that, big heads and giant GD babies can be hereditary and that could cause more C-sections. 
  • @drkoyya Ah, yes... @m6agua raises a good point.  The reason WHY they formula fed is an important piece.  If they had biological reasons for doing so, then that's more likely to be hereditary.  But, those cases are a lot less common than formula just being really pushed as the best option back then.  A lot of women didn't even attempt breastfeeding then and went straight to formula.  So, worth asking for the reasoning if you're close enough with your mom and MIL.  
    **TW**
    Married Sept. 2013
    BFP!  8/24/19

• @m6agua that’s a great chart. I’m totally saving that.
  • @m6agua thanks just took a screenshot of that!
  • @m6agua
     Love that chart definitely saved it and sent it to some new mamas I know who have asked for help with breastfeeding. It explains what I've tried to explain very badly to them about emptying more often if they only get a little bit each time. 
  • +1 for doing what works best for you @mamaqdubu
    I worked so hard to over produce for a big freezer stash when I went back to work. I was successful but it took its toll. I would pump after all of DD's night time feedings. I'm not sure I'm up for that this time...
  • Agree with @jrouge12 It does take it's toll!! We don't give ourselves enough grace. Do what works for you and your sanity.

I struggled to produce with my 1st and beat myself up about it. I was so worried about not being able to produce with my 2nd that I was waking every 3 hours at night to pump even when she was sleeping. 🤦‍♀️ With my 3rd, I chose my sanity and BF on demand only unless I was engorged and needed relief.
  • I've been off TB for about 4 days and so much to catch up on! Trying to read through post - but as far as the cord blood discussion - we chose to donate DS's cord blood - originally I thought we would delay clamping, but a nurse came to talk to us about cord blood donation while I was in L&D and it seemed like the best thing from our perspective to do - immediate benefits to a someone who might really need it to save their life. I'm glad we chose that route and definitely plan to donate with this baby as well. I know my brother and SIL did cord banking, but there are some genetic issues that run in SIL's family, so they felt it was the best option for them. 

As far as c-sections being genetic - I think it has almost everything to do with why the c-section happened. My mom had 3 c-sections and all of them were due to "failure to progress" I also had a c-section with DS that was due to "failure to progress" - I didn't even dilate 1 cm at 41 weeks after a full 24 hours on pitocin and getting cervicil. My old OB feels pretty strongly that genetics was to play in that some women's bodies just don't go into natural labor as easily due to genetic factors. My new OB feels about the same and is the main reason why he thinks a VBAC isn't going to happen (although I'm still going to try). 
  • @mokay19 I also have pcos and have been wondering how difficult breastfeeding would be. Did it just take a while to have a good supply or were there other problems?
  • @pourmeanothermocktail I love what you wrote. "The dude bro" 🤣 I know I've said it before but I feel like one of those women who naturally carry to 42w. My mom was at 42w with both me and my sibling and I went to 42w with DD. Everyone needs to approach labor and feeding with what is right for them. I can't believe your aunts were told that if milk wasn't in by birth they wouldn't be able to nurse. With DD it was probably 3 days after delivery my milk was fully in.