B) 
TTC#1 July 2015 
  • BFP: 9/16/15 — MC: 11/8/15 Blighted Ovum
  • BFP: 3/10/16 — Baby Girl born 11/20/16
TTC#2 April 2019 
  • BFP: 9/12/19 — EDD 5/15/20

Re: Weekly Randoms | Feb 17-23

• Options
    @pirateduck moving this over here...I thought most states had switched to civil rights day,  I didn't realize it was just us and Arizona. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @jhysmath I live in NH and haven't heard it called civil rights day either.  But makes sense!
    **TW**
    Me: 35 | H: 40
    Married Sept. 2013
    DS1: Nov 11, 2016 <3
    MMC: 11/16/18 (9w6d)
    CP: 2/3/19 (5w3d)
    BFP!  8/24/19
    DS2: May 10, 2020 <3

• Options
    @jhysmath I honestly thought it was more of a split than it is.  I was surprised when I read only 2 states call it Civil Rights Day!
  • Options
    I’ve heard of it referred to as Civil Rights Day here in MN, but it’s definitely still officially Martin Luther King Day
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    That makes sense....I have just never heard it called that. Apparently, our courthouse didn’t used to get it off. A couple commissioner boards ago they didn’t approve the day off even though it was a federal holiday then too. So that’s awkward. 

I have officially used all of the federal Monday holidays that will happen before Baby gets here. I have to actually start using sick leave for doctors appointments now. Whomp. 

ETA: DD1 tested positive for influenza B today, so I’m using two days this week for sure to stay home with her and I secretly resent my husband for it since that means two days shorter on maternity leave for me. I know he can’t help it. He literally has enough sick leave left for the school year for labor/delivery. It’s just been a rough school year with the girls starting daycare/preschool and me being gone a lot for work trainings. 
  • Options
    I am over today. I did the 1 hour glucose screening so we shall see how it went but I also *TW found out a former student passed away yesterday after an accident End TW* so I am 150% done now.
  • Options
    @mamaj1220 That's awful. I am so sorry! 
    **TW**
    Me: 35 | H: 40
    Married Sept. 2013
    DS1: Nov 11, 2016 <3
    MMC: 11/16/18 (9w6d)
    CP: 2/3/19 (5w3d)
    BFP!  8/24/19
    DS2: May 10, 2020 <3

• Options
    thanks @shamrocandroll I feel horrible for his family and selfish for being this sad. 
  • Options
    @mamaj1220 I’m so sorry. Definitely don’t feel guilty for being sad... students have an impact on us, and untimely deaths are horrible no matter what.
  • Options
    @mamaj1220, so sorry to hear about your student. Thinking of his/her family!
    ******TW******Siggy warning
    BFP1 04/24/2015 EDD Dec 2015 MMC 10W5d;
    BFP 2 09/25/2015 EDD June 2016 MMC 9wks; 
    BFP 3 03/22/2016 EDD Dec 6th 2016 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    @mamaj1220 so sorry to hear that!
  • Options
    @mamaj1220 so sorry to hear that. I don’t think your being sad is selfish. 

@jess09lynn that sounds like a pain. I would usually rather buy new than have to make small talk with people but I can be kind of antisocial lol 

@TattoosandLace Hope your DD is feeling better soon and you can stay healthy! It stinks to have to use your time off for sick kids, but I know the feeling! 
  • Options
    sunshinesea22sunshinesea22 member
    edited February 2020
    @mamaj1220 So sorry for the sad news
    @TattoosandLace Hope your daughter feel better quickly! The flu is rampant this year 
    @drkoyya Excellent news about your paid family leave! FMLA is really just a law that says you can’t be fired for taking time off (paid or unpaid, up to a year) to care for a family member (new baby), as long as you fill out the appropriate paperwork. So as long as your university isn’t an asshole, so to speak, it shouldn’t be a big deal that you don’t qualify for that job protection. 
    @mamaqdubu Aww no!! Why do they have to grow up?!

edit add tags
  • Options
    @mamaj1220 I'm so sorry to hear, that's awful.

@TattoosandLace Ick. Good luck and I hope you avoid it!

@drkoyya That's really cool regarding the baby and great-grandma. Very poetic. 

I miss wine today. That is all. I'm not adverse to a bit here or there in pregnancy, but we don't have any in the house right now and I'm not just going to buy it while pregnant. 
    1st born at 35+4 on 6/6/16
    Team green turned BLUE!
    2nd born at 38+6 on 8/30/18 
    Team green turned PINK!
    Due with #3 on 6/6/20 Team Green

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @sunshinesea22 I didn't see it before the dirty delete. What was her question?
    DD #1: April 2017
    DD #2: May 2020
    Baby #3: EDD May 2023; MC October 2022

• Options
    @mamaqdubu ahhh queue the water works for real. I've been thinking about this a lot lately too, it happens soooo fast!

@rox7777 Same. Well more online. And I have no excuse because I'm having a second boy.... Okay well my excuse is that for DS1 I didn't buy any of his infant clothes because we were on a tighter budget and were gifted enough (but I don't like most of them   :p). 

@mamaj1220 I'm so sorry to hear about your student - so heartbreaking. 
  • Options
    @sunshinesea22 I didn't see it as mean. So many questions that get asked on TB (or the other forums I lurk) could be answered through a simple search. People are lazy? @catem07 She wanted double stroller recommendations (a seat for a younger and older sibling). Brought up one that was like $700 and how she wanted to convince her DH that it was a good investment. My guess is she wanted internet strangers to tell her that the $700 stroller was a good idea but when these one off posts dont get the answer they want, they rant about how rude we are.

@drkoyya That is very (bitter)sweet that the baby arrived on the day DH's great grandmother passed away. I'm glad you do get some sort of leave from your employer!

@mamaj1220 I'm so sorry about your student! Don't feel selfish for being sad. I've cried over students that I didn't even have in my class. 

@pourmeanothermocktail I hear you! I definitely miss wine this week. I'm dreaming of warm summer days on our patio, DD playing in the backyard, new baby girl snoozing (not probably gonna be the case 😅), and me sipping some ice cold rose. I'm not sure where DH is in this, probably being bossed around by DD.
  • Options
    @rachelg777 Same. Two boys. I never bought DS1 clothes and DS2 lives in hand me downs. It’s our final baby and a girl and I don’t want people stealing all the fun of dressing her up. I like splurging on baby stuff more than anything else and MH happens to go along with it because he’s been waiting to have a girl for years. 😂
  • Options
    @sunshinesea22
    I was just telling my other BMB how tame this BMB is and how we don't usually get the fly by posts and the people who reply to them are always so kind. I didn't see your response, but I'm positive it was a lot kinder than the responses that were in our BMB before. 

@m6agua
    I'm looking forward to getting our newborn clothes next week when we go to our house in NY, I want to go through all the tiny clothes and get them organized. We have mostly gender neutral newborn clothes so now I need to decide do I wash the girly stuff too now or hold off until we know if it's a girl or boy? 

@drkoyya that's awesome about your paid leave. I was a nanny for a professor while I was in college and she had to go back to work at 3 weeks because she couldn't take the time during the summer. As she was preparing her students to go to a national conference and technically wasn't "working" during the summer. I felt so bad for her. If she had the baby during the school year she would have been able to take time off, not sure what the policy was there, but it was dumb that she couldn't be cause it was summer. 

I feel like this entire pregnancy I've been fighting off a cold ever other week. I woke up last night all stuffed up and have a scratchy throat just in time for our school break next week. We will be going to our house in NY to visit MHs family and I'm sure MIL will make dumb comments about me being sick again or DD being sick as she will likely get it by then too. MIL also likes to force her "witches brew" which is whiskey, honey and menthol on me and I will tell her no over and over again. She will likely tell me that I and or DD should go to the doctors because I have a cold which makes me even more angry because doctors can't do anything for a cold and I'm a freaking adult and can decide when a doctor's visit is needed for myself or DD.

I am excited to get all of the newborn clothes from that house though to start prepping for baby though! 
  • Options
    @sunshinesea22 Nah, you weren't mean. She decided to leave in a huff. Good riddance, I hate that drama. 

And I'm irritated by the number of people who just don't get it-like, when I originally joined the Bump years ago now, I signed tp and used my 3 day lurker only time to lurk and see how things go. And read the READ THIS FIRST. Why don't people read????
    1st born at 35+4 on 6/6/16
    Team green turned BLUE!
    2nd born at 38+6 on 8/30/18 
    Team green turned PINK!
    Due with #3 on 6/6/20 Team Green

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @rox7777 and even if you have multiple kids, you still only get that time with them once.  They grow up, they change, etc.  They are each only babies once.  I don't want to be wasteful because financially I want to be able to provide things like food and medical care too, but yeah, if I wanna buy cute itty bitty baby clothes, don't stop me!
  • Options
    @pirateduck Most of the Cat & Jack brand at target is under $5-6 unless you get the fancy outfits. The wonder nation and garanimal brands at Walmart actually hold up well and run under $5 per outfit. I’m only splurging because I give myself a price limit per outfit. 😂
  • Options
    @rox7777 I feel like I can find plenty even if I restrict myself to the clearance rack at Target.  Also because of the weather where I live, the fall winter stuff will actually be appropriate for the baby most of the summer as well.  I'm all about the three piece sets for $5-$8!
  • Options
    @rox7777 I keep seeing ads for cord blood banking but it's not something my doctors have ever mentioned or talked about and I never really had a clear understanding of what it is for.
  • Options
    @pirateduck Stem cells found in cord blood can be used in a lot of different medical treatments. They’re considered a regenerative cell, so they can be used to help rebuild a lot of things in the body. For example, lung tissue due to lung disease, muscle tissue due to degenerative diseases or rebuild bone marrow due to cancer treatment. In DS1’s case they would be used to replace the leukemia cells in his blood marrow with the hope of allowing the body to create new cells that would overcome the cancer cells. It’s more involved than that, but that’s basically the dumbed down version his oncologist gave us. Even if your child never ends up with cancer, they can be used to treat arthritis, Parkinson’s, and a multitude of other diseases. 

There’s still a lot of research as to their future uses, but they’re currently being used in a lot of medical fields to treat diseases that exist right now. The demand is fairly high and full blooded siblings tend to be the best match. We’re using a company called Via Cord because they offer free storage for 5 years for siblings of cancer patients, but the cost is only $175 a year. You could also call up the pediatrician you have picked out and discuss it with them. They’ll likely have companies that they work with and be able to tell you the benefits and drawbacks. BUT most OBs are at least trained in it somewhat because they’re responsible for collecting after birth. It needs to be done right after birth, so it’s something you want to know ahead of time. 
  • Options
    @pirateduck For most people, when they weigh the benefits of delayed clamping against the possibility of maybe one day needing the cord blood, delayed clamping wins out. Especially since there are storage fees to consider (you can also publicly bank cord blood some free but it could be used by someone else before you need it). 

But my MIL has had a number of cancers, including blood cancer, so thanks @rox7777 for raising that. I hadn't really considered it before but I'm going to ask my OB next time I go. I doubt we could/would want to cover the cost but it's worth looking into. 

• Options
    @catem07 We found a few companies that offered deals for people that had certain types of cancer and illness diagnosed in the family. The company we’re using is $175 a year and you can pay it all at once or break it down over the course of 12 months for $14.50. Via Cord is the one we’re using because they work with DS1’s hospital and give us 5 free years, but she said that was the payment option for everyone after your free time was up. 
  • Options
    @rox7777 here I am thinking we're talking $1000. Will definitely look into that!