July 2020 Moms
Options

Product Spotlight Series: Diaper Bags

The Product Spotlight Series continues! Each week we'll spotlight a new category of product. If you discover something new or are new to the board, you're welcome to comment on threads like these throughout your time here, not just when it's their week in the spotlight. You can use any or all the prompts relevant to you below to share info in an easy-to-read format--or none of them. Pictures/screen grabs, if put in spoilers, are welcome! This week it's... Diaper Bags!

S(+)TMs: Give us the pros and cons of what you have and/or why you want the new one you want? What brand(s)/specific bags have you used? Which one is best and why? Are you dreaming of any that are on the market now? 

FTMs: What brands/specific bags are you interested in? What questions do you have?

Re: Product Spotlight Series: Diaper Bags

• Options
    With DD1 I just had a simple diaper bag and it was alright but with DD2 I used one of those 31 bags in the car with extra diapers and things for both girls then I just carried a few things in a small backpack purse. This time I’m going backpack and love the one I just got from amazon. It has lots of pockets and a place for bottles. It even comes with a case to keep a bottle warm and a charger for your phone. I also got a portable changing pad because I used the other pad I had all the time last time. It’s really nice to just be able to take it out of the diaper bag and head to the bathroom instead of taking the whole bag. Here’s the link to both. I got the pink on the diaper bag and it ended up matching the changing pad perfectly. So if you go with pink the stars on the pad are more of the pink color of the diaper bag and not as bright pink as the picture. I also usually keep a change of clothes in a big ziplock and then just use the ziplock for dirty clothes but now they have cute wet bags.

• Options
    Whatever you do, get a backpack diaper bag. I repeat, GET A BACKPACK DIAPER BAG! 

I'm looking at this one for this LO. It's basically the same as the one we have now, but looks like it has more pockets on the outside, plus that charger thing that may or may not be useful lol

I love EVERYTHING about this diaper bag....
    - The opening at the back/bottom of the bag that you can unzip for easy access to less commonly used things
    - lots of pockets on the inside
    - insulated bottle pockets on the front that can fit even the larger Avent bottles (my old bag had 3 bottle pockets in the front. this one looks like it has 2 and a spoon pocket.... I'm okay with that)
    - the slotted wipe pocket on the side is a joke... just use it for water bottles or whatever else. You cannot get wipes out of there lol

The only thing that isn't ideal, in certain circumstances, is the reinforced opening. Because it has the metal bar in it to make it so it opens wide (and stays open). It's great when you have both hands or need it open all the way... but it also means you can't just unzip a small corner and reach a hand in while blindly digging for something. It annoyed me at first but we're super used to it now and it's not an inconvenience for us. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    This is what we have, but in Black :  https://www.target.com/p/eddie-bauer-fashion-heather-back-pack/-/A-51465602

DEFINITELY get a backpack!!!!  When your hands are full of baby etc. it is so nice for it to stay secure on your back!  Insulated pockets are great and a place for wipes is nice, which this has.  There are also some straps/buckles on the back that make it easy to attach to your stroller, which we have used a lot.  
  • Options

With DS we had a Skiphop Duo, which was really nice, but I HATED it, and never used it since it wasn't a backpack :D

This time around, I decided to splurge on a Fawn diaper bag, which is a backpack style. I haven't used it yet, but it just arrived in the mail and I'm super excited. I figured with DS we'll be out and about more, and need to pack things/snacks for 2 kiddos and a husband now.

Only downside is that it doesn't come with a change pad, but I think I'll pick up a Skip Hop travel change pad and use that.

• Options
    @blaf322 I have 0 knowledge about what are good diaper bag features, but that's the backpack I have on our registry so I'm glad someone else is excited about it too!  :D I doubt I'll use the charger much but I liked all the pockets and such also.
  • Options
    @coffeeandcookies84
    We have a skip hop changing pad that we used ALL. THE. TIME.  I would definitely get one to put in your diaper bag.  When DS got a little bigger, we just kept it in the car.  As a matter of fact, I think it is still there!  It has a little space to hold a few wipes and a diaper or two, so I would just grab that and go to the bathroom to change him instead of carrying the entire diaper bag with me. 
  • Options
    @blaf322 so as a FTM I know nothing about diaper bags, however, I do have a normal bag with a charger and I hate it because 1. You have to charge the bag 2. It’s no longer machine washable. 
  • Options
    @beckylookatherbump I was wondering how it would work to charge a phone! Good to know. Meh on the whole washing the bag thing. I've never washed the other bag and it's fine. But still good to know b/c it could impact someone's decision!
    Question for you, does the charger thing impact the weight of the bag significantly?

If anyone likes the bag itself but doesn't love the charger thing, here's the same one (in every color you could ever want) but without the charger. This is basically exactly like what we have now.

https://www.amazon.com/HaloVa-Multi-Function-Waterproof-Backpack-Capacity/dp/B071RLWKGQ/ref=sxin_3_osp33-882045d1_cov?ascsubtag=882045d1-6740-42cb-9dd8-f0442a99f1e4&creativeASIN=B071RLWKGQ&cv_ct_cx=backpack+diaper+bag&cv_ct_id=amzn1.osp.882045d1-6740-42cb-9dd8-f0442a99f1e4&cv_ct_pg=search&cv_ct_wn=osp-search&keywords=backpack+diaper+bag&linkCode=oas&pd_rd_i=B071RLWKGQ&pd_rd_r=17adabe2-1652-44f3-a262-ab508d9e4b9f&pd_rd_w=DOodo&pd_rd_wg=Q2OGZ&pf_rd_p=62c00474-6fe0-420f-9956-a05256e04b43&pf_rd_r=7HG091JCMPYHBJZ8YYQ3&qid=1581357852&sr=1-3-32a32192-7547-4d9b-b4f8-fe31bfe05040&tag=verywellpublish-20
  • Options
    I loved our backpack diaper bag from amazon similar to the ones @hbird0723 and @blaf322 posted. It fell apart after a almost a year of using it (the straps literally came off). For $30 I definitely would've ordered another one but my mom bought me a Fisher Price one because she knew ours broke and it does it's job but I really don't like it as much. I'll probably eventually end up ordering another one like the original.

I also had ordered a Skip Hop one that was a bit more of a splurge (for me, I'm cheap lol), but once it came in I really didn't like it (the other bag is just designed better in my opinion) so I returned it 
  • Options
    We have registered for a Columbia backpack diaper bag on Amazon.  This was an item I went and looked at in BuyBabyBuy.  My wife who doesn't carry any purse ever liked the pockets and would consent to carry it.  I also looked at the Vera Bradley backpack.  However, I'm 5'3 with a super short torso and it ate me up. 

We also tried out two or three Eddie Bauer backpacks.  I liked the pocket configuration slightly more on this one than those.

• Options
    @blaf322 I don’t think it’s any heavier than my other book bags. 
  • Options
    Jumping in here to also say YES BACKPACK. We had a Jeep brand diaper bag for DS that I wouldn’t recommend because the quality was crap. Seemed good at first, but several zipper repair jobs later, it finally broke beyond my limited sewing skills. I ended up ordering one on Amazon that I will continue to use. Have to check the brand when I get home! 
  • Options
    stlbuckeye132stlbuckeye132 member
    edited February 2020
    Hi, my name is stlbuckeye132, and I have a spending problem when it comes to diaper bags. I'm legit ashamed of myself sharing what I have, but.... I HAD COUPONS! I started with a non-backpack style from skip hop and I hated it. So then I went a little crazy and decided to splurge and bought a Jujube BFF. *hangs head in shame* it's a stupid amount, but it is pretty great. (And I had a coupon!)

Then last summer I decided I needed something a little bigger for our vacation we were going on, and I'd need something that could hold toddler and newborn stuff when we added to our family anyway, so I saved all my fun money and bought a Jujube BRB. I hate myself, but there you have it. I do love them, but are they any better than the backpacks above that are a fraction of the price? Idk. Links in spoiler. 

ETA: cool cool cool, the links aren't working. I guess TB is shaming me for my purchases.
  • Options
    Hmm it looks like they may have discontinued the exact one we got for DD, but it was the Skip Hop Duo Signature backpack. Definitely go backpack. I linked the one that looks closest in the spoiler. I really like the size, the fact that it's super neutral (doesn't scream "baby"), includes a changing pad, and it holds a lot of stuff, which is why we probably won't upgrade to another one with the new baby. Nowadays, I feel like it's never more than half-full so we should have room. The only semi-annoying thing is that for some reason, it doesn't always stand upright on its own. Not a huge deal.

• Options
    @stlbuckeye132 Ain't no shame girl. Especially if you had a coupon ;)
  • Options
    Also, I was just thinking.. Why the hell did it take them so long to come up with the backpack concept for a diaper bag? 
  • Options
    Oh! One rec is to consider registering for a regular (over the shoulder) diaper bag for out of town trips. DD just got a suitcase but, until then, we just used the shoulder bag I hated (only b/c it was a should bag vs backpack) as her overnight bag and it worked well because it has so much more space for all the sh*t you need when travelling with a baby.
  • Options
    @blaf322 I have the one you listed mokaloo or something. As my top contender. 
  • Options
    @nursejenn5 I can't imagine I won't love it. We really love the other one we have that's super similar.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    I'm a FTM, but I am so excited to get one of these backpack diaper bags from My Sleepy Panda: https://mysleepypanda.com/ , probably this one https://mysleepypanda.com/products/lizzie

I have friends who swear by them! I looked on Amazon for comparable ones, but these just had everything I was wanting. It was the first thing I put on my registry hahaha.

ETA: I also like it because it is cute and stylish but also something that isn't too feminine that DH would be okay with using too
    married to DH on March 15, 2018 <3 TTC since May 2018
    dx: PCOS, hypothroidism <3 tx: timed intercourse with meds (dexa, clomid, letrozole, metformin, trigger shots)
    First TTGP: 5/9/19 BFN, 6/21/19 BFN, 7/29/19 BFN, 8/1/19 started a break from tx, 11/16/19 surprised with a BFP! LO born 7/7/20
    Second TTGP: started meds for first cycle of tx on 10/13/21

• Options
    blaf322blaf322 member
    edited February 2020
    @knockupthestock girl... that looks like, the exact same thing... just a different brand/colors, as the two I posted links for (except it's $85 vs $35). I'd check out the one I posted to see if maybe you like it as much. That same bag is branded by a million different names (seriously, I see them all over and they're never the same brand) so the price really fluctuates between brands.

ETA- here's the link for the one that's most like the one you're looking at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JG43YPK?colid=17EZCFZC1MNRT&coliid=I31O58GRS4ZR87&ref=br_ADD_TO_CART_title_link
  • Options
    With DD1, I was gifted like 3 bags that I didn't choose and couldn't return, so we used those. We had two totes and one messenger bag - used 1 tote for my pump bag, another for the main diaper bag, and the messenger bag occasionally. I ended up getting a Fjallraven backpack, which I really liked for the ease of packing and access, and only dislike for the unpadded straps. We still use it on trips and stuff, but with DD2, I got this diaper bag by Lekebaby on Amazon - https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07DYJZR6Z/?coliid=I1D03BC6TKGZ1X&colid=2BZDN0TR7GOEM&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

We are still using it, and I think it will hold up fine for #3 but I need to look it over I guess. This particular bag is discontinued, but the company makes similar ones I think.

The main features that were useful and I'd look for again:

- Convertible between long messenger strap, backpack, and "tote" style bag. It's really, really nice to be able to have either a long crossbody/over the shoulder strap or backpack straps. The backpack straps tuck away into their own pocket, too, if you don't use them often, and the long strap clicks on and off. I use the backpack straps a lot, but if I'm wearing a kid on my back, the long strap is much more useful.

- Plenty big for us for each stage, although her lunch bag doesn't fit in now. The bag for her daycare bottles fit OK (along with change of clothes in a wet bag, nursing cover, diapers, wipes, diaper cream, & sometimes a baby carrier).

- Changing pad included; I always use this in a public place or the back of the car. I really like that I can store it in its own little pocket, too, so I don't feel like I'm getting public restroom changing table germs on all our other stuff.

Other nice things - enough pockets inside to keep diapers, diaper cream, other miscellaneous stuff separated & easier to find. The wipes pocket on the side is nice, I don't always use the zipper to pull the wipes through but it's handy sometimes. The extra expandable section on the bottom is really handy to add extra room if we need it (for a longer outing, maybe). The pocket on the front is big enough to hold my sunglasses and wallet so I don't lose them in the depths. "Neutral" looking, which fits my style better than some of the bags out there.

Other - we didn't bottle feed except when I was at work, and I used a separate bag for bottles (that I put in the main compartment). So I have no idea how well the insulated front pocket works. Also, the snaps that keep that flap closed aren't great quality. One broke off after maybe a year of use, and the other is loose now (almost 18 months in). Haven't had issues with any of the zippers, though.
    2/13 Blighted ovum, D&C -- 6/13 MC -- 8/14 DD born -- 3/17 MC -- 9/18 DD2 born
    Expecting again -- EDD 7/27/20
  • Options
    @blaf322 woah, that is basically the same....thanks for the heads up, haha
    married to DH on March 15, 2018 <3 TTC since May 2018
    dx: PCOS, hypothroidism <3 tx: timed intercourse with meds (dexa, clomid, letrozole, metformin, trigger shots)
    First TTGP: 5/9/19 BFN, 6/21/19 BFN, 7/29/19 BFN, 8/1/19 started a break from tx, 11/16/19 surprised with a BFP! LO born 7/7/20
    Second TTGP: started meds for first cycle of tx on 10/13/21

• Options
    I would also take a hard look at the backpacks and tote bags you already own, and see if one of those would work. I know tons of people love them, but I just couldn’t figure out how to use a diaper bag in a way that didn’t annoy me. I always had a separate freezer bag with milk in it, so didn’t need pockets for that. The thing I did get and love is a travel diaper pouch, which we just throw into any bag, and is nice because we put the baby on it when changing them and the diaper and wipes are built into it. But snacks, toys, etc. all just get tossed in my bag, I don’t like having them in individual pockets because I lose track of them and end up with old stuff hidden away everywhere. We donated our diaper bag pretty quickly, and have just stuck to using our own backpacks. 
  • Options
    I’ll stand alone as the only person who isn’t a fan of a backpack.  I like a shoulder bag 🤷🏻‍♀️.   I didn’t have trouble with it falling off my shoulder.  I don’t like the feel of a backpack and I also don’t like not being able to see my back behind me if it has a wallet or phone inside.  Lots of choices out there.  I think I want a jujube bag this time- bonus points they have a shoulder bag that you can wear as a backpack.  With my first two, I had a great diaper bag that I actually got a lot of compliments on- I’d use it again but it’s seen better days.   I’ll link it
    https://www.amazon.com/JJ-Cole-Satchel-Diaper-Stone/dp/B005WPPT54/ref=mp_s_a_1_6?keywords=jj%2Bcole%2Bdiaper%2Bbag&qid=1581444221&sprefix=jj%2Bcole%2Bdia&sr=8-6&th=1&psc=1

• Options
    @MrsTiger123 the jujube BFF can be a shoulder bag or backpack! If you live near a Buy Buy Baby, they usually have some in stock if you want to see it in person. (And you can use a 20% off coupon on it!)
  • Options
    @MrsTiger123 the jujube BFF can be a shoulder bag or backpack! If you live near a Buy Buy Baby, they usually have some in stock if you want to see it in person. (And you can use a 20% off coupon on it!)
    I’ve been watching for a coupon so that’s awesome. Thanks 😊