April 2020 Moms

Moving to FB/private group

Re: Moving to FB/private group

• @literatureandink I'm still not sure yet.  I tried doing that for my Oct 18 group but I immediately got anxiety cause it still recognized my email or name or something from when I had it back in the day and linked to me all of these "people you might know" that I just didn't want to see so I deleted it.  I'm willing to take suggestions from people who know how to set up a dummy one!   
  • @KFrob create a dummy email address and use that to sign up. You can also use an alias name instead of your real name. These things combined should help prevent the algorithm from knowing too much about you. 

I use a dummy email address for all of my online communities and subscriptions instead of my main gmail address which is strictly for personal and professional contact and I highly recommend others do the same. 
    BabyFruit Ticker . Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker . Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    KFrob
  • Loading the player...
  • @KFrob could you use a different email? Not use your full name? Instead use first name and middle name?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'll set up a dummy email, and try using a variation of my real name.  I hate not using my real name for you guys cause I don't want you to think I'm a creepy creepster!    
    literatureandink
  • I would also volunteer to admin and to create the group. I’m okay with FB if that’s what most people want. 

I’m a fan of setting requirements for the people joining. Like we really need to recognize them. A few people participate some, but not that often. If I’m giving access to personal info on my FB, I’m more nervous about who is allowed to join than I would be with a private group here. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Me 34 DH 34 
    PCOS

DS1 born September 2017
    Baby number 2 due 4/11/20
    literatureandinkphinzlabyrinth
  • Totally agree with @mercury94 - we should have a vetting process and/or a vote?
  • **lurking from march** if you all end up doing a bump PG as well and figure out how to set one up PLEASE LET ME KNOW - it has been the biggest PITA for me to try and create one. 
    **tw**

married 11.1.14

ttc #1 since 5.18

bfp 12.22.18 letrozole + progesterone

d&e due to trisomy 13/hydrops at 15wks

bfp 7.21.19 letrozole + IUI 

little girl A born 3.26.20

mercury94literatureandinkm6agua
  • Definitely agree with @mercury94. We need to be somewhat selective about who we let in.
    So we've had 4 of us volunteer to admin. How many admins do we realistically want to have?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @Kathryn0903 Usually 2 or 3 admins is plenty depending on the number of people. My last BMB did a vote after we moved to FB. But, that one, we kind of secretly moved without announcing to the whole group, so we didn’t have any of these discussions. 

Me 34 DH 34 
    PCOS

DS1 born September 2017
    mandarenee898
  • The only way I can think to ensure people are who they say they are is identifying yourself with your username here and then cross referencing if they actively post? I guess someone could claim a different Usernam but that seems like a lot work lol

Diagnosed PCOS 2013
    7th Round of Fertility treatment (Femara + Ovidrel + IUI) 12/14 = BFP. DS born Sept.15 
    Natural BFP Feb 2017. DD born Oct. 2017
    Natural BFP Aug. 2019, EDD April 2020

• I know when we moved for Aug 17 we had some rules on needing to have posted and been active. We had to dm the admin on the bump and confirm who we were and what our FB name was, etc and then I was told the name group. Also once in the group we had an excel doc like the one here- ID your bump name and FB name so people could connect the two, and baby name, bday etc.
    TW: 
    1 infant loss
    8/17: Our daughter was born
    8/18: Our daughter kicked open heart surgery ass
    2/19: We lost our son to Prader-Willi/Paradoxical Vocal Cord/ Noonans at 6wks old 
    4/26/2020: EDD for baby #3!!!
    mercury94krthouseliteratureandink
  • Just a note about FB groups; just because you are a member of a group doesn't mean the other members have access to your full fb profile. In general if a member was to click your name all they'd be able to see is your public info and any posts you've made in the shared group. Not sure if  this eases any of your worries or not but it's really no different than if you were to comment on a FB ad or article by a page you follow.
    BabyFruit Ticker . Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker . Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    jenabaryKFrob
  • To add to @fitzandgiggles point, as far as the FB group, it would be a secret/private group and you would have to friend an admin to join. After that, it's up to you if you want to stay friends.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I like @smallbutmighty77’s suggestion on how to request to join/confirm who we are for the admins.
  • @kfrob I really hope you get a dummy account that works - I know the O18 ladies would welcome you with open arms! :)

@Kathryn0903 I think that's probably plenty for admins, especially since we seem to be a pretty small group

@mercury94 Another thing that we did with my last BMB that moved to FB was after 6-9 months, the admins had noticed people who weren't super active, and we opened a discussion about how to handle that and if we should remove anyone, etc. Just pointing out that if we get people who are continually not active/engaged, we can address that later as well.

I definitely get what others are saying about being cautious with recognizing people... but as someone whose participation has varied, but hopes to still move with the group, keep in mind that TB app is awful, and even mobile has had lots of issues over the past few months. I know there were many times that I wanted to check in, but couldn't even get threads to load, app or mobile, and don't have the time at home to jump on TB on my computer. Now, I just tend to check at work on my break, since I'm winding down for leave anyways haha

Oh - and for FB - I can't remember exactly, but there is both private groups and secret groups... I think once we all move over, we can change it to secret (or admins have to send invites, since no one can find it?). That way other people can't even see that you are part of the group, and no one can search it and find it/see who is in it
    KFrobjenabary
  • Last time, it started as a secret group. You had to email the admin with your FB name, friend the admin, and be added. Once you were added, you could stop being friends with the admin. 

My concern with wanting to know people isn’t about what’s on my profile. I intentionally don’t share my face or my name on the public group. That would be shared on FB unless I chose to use a dummy profile instead of my normal profile. With all of the private things we share in the group, it’s important to me that my name and face not be connected to it unless I know the people. 

Me 34 DH 34 
    PCOS

DS1 born September 2017
    ejoseph16
  • @Kathryn0903 I don't know if you saw my last post but there was a fb group created already. It hasn't been super active but I am sure you could use it to build upon going forward. 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/524845224825105/
  • @tabbiekat13 I agree with @Sailing_Mama on this one... that one was started so early and I didn’t join at that time because I’m a fairly private person. I would be much more comfortable joining and admin-ing (I’m making that a word... trademark it!) a group that is those of us that have been talking since the beginning on here. 
  • Hi all. I've been out of the loop for a couple months because my app has been so terrible, so I haven't been able to contribute & I can't even open the threads that are more than 1 page. I just discovered I can find the community page on the actual website, but it keeps kicking me out & reloading constantly :(

I hope from being inactive because of the terrible app doesn't mean I can't be added to the future FB group!...but I understand if people are against it. Now that I know I can get here from the website, I'll definitely be more active! I think a FB group is a great idea though

ejoseph16
  • tabbiekat13tabbiekat13 member
    edited February 2020
    Thanks @Sailing_Mama and @ejoseph16 for the response. I get where you are coming from, I was just trying to save some work and was actually hoping to reconnect a bit. This is my 3rd pregnancy so I haven't had a lot of questions or anything and honestly with my 2 others running around I forget to even look at the app most times. However when I do, I am mostly a lurker instead of being very interactive because I hate the way this app works these days. (It was much simpler to navigate and not so glitchy when I was pregnant with my first.) I am much more a Facebook person and was a bit disappointed that the initial group didn't take off more than it did.
  • I know I'm a few days behind but just got caught up on the comments & agree there are ways for admins to approve members of facebook groups by creating a "questionnaire" before access is granted. i think including a question asking for bump group username is reasonable for sure.

• If we want to start getting this moving, I'm willing to start setting up the group as long as I have one person admin with me. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
    mandarenee898
  • sbalding88sbalding88 member
    edited February 2020
    @kathryn0903 I'm willing to admin with you if you'd like. Never been a page admin, but I'll learn. :)

@mercury94 From my brief research, it looks like Facebook changed how groups are categorized in August 2019 so now they are private and public groups. I like the idea of doing a questionnaire to make sure that people are part of this group before joining the FB one. I've joined some private groups on Facebook recently, and I've never had to be a friend of the admin. I also have clicked on people's Facebook profiles and can only see what they publicly display, not anything they've set to private/friends only. 

I also think there is a way that you can invite people as admins by the email they use for FB/will use to create their account for FB so we could keep the group hidden but members wouldn't have to become friends on FB. https://yourbusiness.azcentral.com/add-non-friends-facebook-group-17302.html
  • @sbalding88 If you want to, just pm me and we can work on the logistics of it. I've never adminned a group before either, but we can figure it out together.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @Kathryn0903 Okay - I'll do that. :) 
  • @Kathryn0903 @sbalding88 Thank you for doing this, ladies! Excited to join when it's all set up and ready 
    sbalding88KFrobjenabarymandarenee898
  • @Kathryn0903 @sbalding88 If you want another admin I’m here! 
  • @ejoseph16 sure! We're probably set on admins now!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • If you need another admin I’m happy to, otherwise I’m ready to rock and roll on FB!
  • @literatureandink we should be good since we have a fairly small group.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    literatureandink
  • Thanks for putting this together. I’ve been busy the last few days, so I missed this. Let me know if I can help at all. 

Me 34 DH 34 
    PCOS

DS1 born September 2017
  • Yes - thank you for getting this going! I’ve enjoyed connecting with you all on this thread, and I would love to be able to continue that on another platform!
    mandarenee898
  • We are working on it, ladies! The group is created, just working through some logistics! 
    krthousemandarenee898KFrobcoaster102516
  • Ok group is created. Set as a private group. If you have been active and want to join, please message either me, @ejoseph16, or @sbalding88. No need to friend an admin. There will be a questionnaire to answer or we can add you via your email address as well.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    ejoseph16nicoleyoleekath1414jenabary
  • @Kathryn0903 I send you a DM! Now I’m not even sure if I know where to find my inbox though!