April 2020 Moms
Options

Hospital Bag

2»

Re: Hospital Bag

• Options
    @KFrob Thanks! I will ask that. I definitely want to try to start pumping around 6-7 weeks so I can get the hang of it before I go back to work at 10 weeks. 
  • Options
    @sbalding88 check out YouTube tutorials for the S2 pump  I watched some Medela videos and some Spectra S1 videos before deciding on the S1. I’ve never used a pump before and it really seems so easy. 

@KFrob great idea on asking about sizing!! That was one thing I was concerned about. Thank you!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @sbalding88 most lactation consultants can also help make out a plan for nursing and pumping also, both for establishing supply and/or stocking your freezer before returning to work. At the beginning, I pumped for 10 min after every time I nursed baby last time. I built up a much better supply than I did with my first kid and had over 200oz in the freezer by the time I returned to work 10 weeks postpartum. It was a ton of commitment though. We never gave her a bottle unless I was at work, but we never ran out of milk either due to all the extra pumping so it was so worth the hassle.
  • Options
    I give you mamas serious credit who have to go back to work at 10 weeks postpartum. I’m so thankful for our paid year maternity leave in Canada. (Can even take 18 months off if you want!) 
  • Options
    @kath1414 I’m so jealous of a year paid! I planned my pregnancy strategically to get longer off. As a teacher, I am allowed 8-10 weeks, but I have to use my sick days for pay. From my due date to the end of the school year is 7 weeks. I go back for our work day (I can bring baby instead of hiring a sitter), then I’m off for the summer. So I don’t really have to worry about going back to work until baby is about 4 months old. 
  • Options
    @kath1414 I think the only reason I'm not as freaked out about going back to work after 10 weeks is that I know that my daughter will be with her dad all day when I'm at work and she'll be 2 miles away from me. Both of my husband's jobs are incredibly flexible, and at the church job, he has his two co-workers that are totally on board with him bringing the baby to work with him and helping him with it So I'll go back to work sometime in July, and my mom is going to come for a week around then because my husband has to take the kids to camp for a week and then we'll figure it out from there. But it makes it convenient that I can easily drive to his work and feed her on my lunch break and spend time with her then pretty much every day. 

@mwill291 That's good to know - I'll definitely make sure to ask them for assistance on how to approach the pumping and breastfeeding transition. My sister said she didn't start pumping until late in her maternity leave, and she said she's barely pumping enough to keep more than a day ahead, so I'm hoping to pump enough ahead of time that there won't be that added stress. I'm filing away these ideas to pull out come April/May so that I can discuss them with the lactation consultant.