April 2020 Moms

Weekly Check In (All Groups) Week of 1/13

2»

Re: Weekly Check In (All Groups) Week of 1/13

• @Brags0607 good luck with the sub situation! I secured mine in December... it’s a huge weight lifted! Hopeful you get a good sub quickly! My bump was tender at first, especially early second tri. Now it’s good though! Just really firm! 
  • EDD/W+D: 29 weeks / April 2

Team Pink

Baby is the size of a(n): pineapple 

Upcoming Appointments: endocrinologist whenever they call me

How are you feeling? Like I hate my life and this pregnancy 

Raves/Rants: failed the 3 hour glucose today so apparently I will be treated like I have diabetes now. I think the whole thing is bogus, I’ve always just had weird blood sugar since I was a little kid. 

Refusing to tell my family any of this is happening so I can eat a f@&$ing cupcake at my baby shower like every other pregnant woman. 

Questions: thinking I’m willing to follow the diabetes diet rules and check blood sugar 5-6 days a week max so I can at least preserve some normalcy in my life. Anyone else had success following the rules in moderation? Any chance my OB will discontinue seeing me if I’m partially non-compliant? 

GTKY: Pets! Tell us all about them! Bonus points for pictures!

My sweet Louie is a 6yo Maltese-Lhasa apso-mystery mix (brought him home from the humane society when he was 5 months old). I love him to the moon and back! Lately I have been wondering if/when I will love this baby as much as I love him haha. 
  • Loading the player...
  • @independentgeorge I’m sorry you failed the 3 hour. I think there’s a thread on here where the ladies with GD are all talking about how much it sucks. I’m apparently considered borderline. I don’t have to do the finger pricks, but my doctor wants me to change my diet. It sucks, but I’m going to do the best I can for my health and my baby’s health. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Me 34 DH 34 
    PCOS

DS1 born September 2017
    Baby number 2 due 4/11/20
  • @independentgeorge maybe I missed something but why are you resisting following the recommendations/rules for a diabetic diet? 

Diagnosed PCOS 2013
    7th Round of Fertility treatment (Femara + Ovidrel + IUI) 12/14 = BFP. DS born Sept.15 
    Natural BFP Feb 2017. DD born Oct. 2017
    Natural BFP Aug. 2019, EDD April 2020

• edited January 2020
    @coaster102516 honestly it seems to me like people blow GD out of proportion. The real risks are related to consistently high blood sugar, not one-off spikes (or else they wouldn’t have pregnant women drink bottles of glucose). I think being super restrictive about my diet 90% of the week and then enjoying a valentines date or baby shower cake is no big deal. In my mind, my baby and I are equally important - the baby isn’t 10x more valuable than me. If I do the right thing for her 6 days a week and the right thing for me on day 7 that is good enough for me. I totally understand some moms/parents are way more into sacrifice and selflessness though - they are just not my values. 
  • People have a glass of wine in the third trimester all the time. While that’s not something I’m interested in, no one goes around shaming moms who do. Similarly no one should shame me for wanting a cupcake. My doctor isn’t available for the next 2.5 weeks and since I’m not telling my friends/family about this situation I thought it would help to vent here. 

I have always been a big supporter of moms not sacrificing everything in life for their children (dads sure don’t sacrifice like that and frankly I don’t feel like a mom yet anyway). There is so little research around the actual effects of things like 1 glass of wine or 1 cupcake that we should be empowering women to make what they feel is the right decision for them instead of criticizing with no evidence.

It’s tied to a societal problem where we’re happy to extend sympathy to moms who are perpetually sad/guilty that they aren’t doing quite enough at all moments for their kids, but enter the mom who says, “I won’t be able to do it all and I don’t feel bad about it,” and suddenly she’s a monster. The constant guilt and total sacrifice aspects of motherhood aren’t mandatory. 
  • People have a glass of wine in the third trimester all the time. While that’s not something I’m interested in, no one goes around shaming moms who do. Similarly no one should shame me for wanting a cupcake. My doctor isn’t available for the next 2.5 weeks and since I’m not telling my friends/family about this situation I thought it would help to vent here. 

I have always been a big supporter of moms not sacrificing everything in life for their children (dads sure don’t sacrifice like that and frankly I don’t feel like a mom yet anyway). There is so little research around the actual effects of things like 1 glass of wine or 1 cupcake that we should be empowering women to make what they feel is the right decision for them instead of criticizing with no evidence.

It’s tied to a societal problem where we’re happy to extend sympathy to moms who are perpetually sad/guilty that they aren’t doing quite enough at all moments for their kids, but enter the mom who says, “I won’t be able to do it all and I don’t feel bad about it,” and suddenly she’s a monster. The constant guilt and total sacrifice aspects of motherhood aren’t mandatory. 
    I'm just going to QFP. My brain will explode if I try to respond to this right now.