May 2020 Moms
Options

Randoms Dec 16-22

Re: Randoms Dec 16-22

• Options
    @bender29 I always thought “this baby will be in the nursery right away”.... then I had DD and was like this is WAY easier having her next to me lol
    Also, our old pediatrician was very pro-having the baby in the same room. He was like “share a room for a year if you want! But I recommend at least 6 months” —we did 4 months
  • Options
    My issue with any sleep training method is that there’s no such thing as one solution to fit all. Every baby is different and what works well for one can be severely traumatic for another. But the people selling books don’t tell you that and everything else is anecdotal. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    DS has always been a great sleeper. He started STTN right after he gained the birth weight back and I didn't have to wake him up. We did co-sleep from 6-9 months because he went through a sleep regression and at that time we were in a one bedroom apartment and he was in the pack and play and couldnt fall back to sleep. But then around 9 months he decided he wanted to sleep on his own again and other a few times when sick/have nightmares he still is that way. 
  • Options
    @Linsbins add me to your GD party I just checked my portal and it was as high as it was when I had dd for the 1 hour . I know they'll send me for the three hour once they see it, but I'm sure I'll fail again too. 
  • Options
    Thanks @jhysmath and @m6agua. I was diagnosed about a month ago and it’s spiraled. The worst part is I can’t keep sugar down anyway so while I’m not missing out on that due to throwing everything up, it’s harder to fix the “issues.” I will look for that fb group, since my nurse call today didn’t go well. 

My IRL friends hate when I bitch about my teaching schedule because they don’t get two weeks off for Christmas, but they do get work from home days and luncheons and downtime at their desks. So, my class was NUTS today. One was crying, one was howling, one had pants that wouldn’t stay up, another cried about a joke in his pants, etc. It was like one giant meltdown. I took tomorrow off but Friday is one last day and I’m already exhausted just thinking about it. Kindergarteners man. I love them but sometimes I need another adult to roll my eyes with.
  • Options
    I just learned the hard way... one easy way to get the baby to move, eat some cookies. These aren’t just flutters. It feels like pop rocks in my stomach. 
    Me: 28  DH: 29
    FTM
    BFP 08/25/19, EDD 05/04/20
  • Options
    @Linsbins I teach first so I feel ya! 2 more days until break seems like an eternity. The kids have lost it as well. Someone asked me what I’m looking forward to most over break I said sitting down! I stand all day constantly up and down. I’ve also been finishing up my admin internship and ran a huge family event last night so I’m just done. I want to eat a real meal during the day without rushing, use the bathroom without asking for coverage, and I want to just sit down for more than a minute! 
  • Options
    @Linsbins I just joined the group again it's gestation diabetes support and meal ideas. My high school students have been terrible all week too. Today is the last day of classes tomorrow we have Christmas activities all day, dd got me out of having to be there today though, she puked all over the sitter so I'm home with her now. I'm hoping I don't have to miss tomorrow because it should be an easy day. 
  • Options
    So, they accidentally set off our active shooter alert today at my company. I was in the lab with 2 other people without my phone, coat, or keys, and we were out the emergency exit before they announced over the PA that it was a false alarm. It's single digit temps out there today. We got in one of our cars and were planning to go to a nearby store to use their phone, and were also wondering why we didn't really see anyone else leaving the building. Then someone (casually!) walked by and told us they had announced it was a false alarm. Not. Effing. Cool. I hope to never experience that feeling ever again.
    **TW**
    Me: 35 | H: 40
    Married Sept. 2013
    DS1: Nov 11, 2016 <3
    MMC: 11/16/18 (9w6d)
    CP: 2/3/19 (5w3d)
    BFP!  8/24/19
    DS2: May 10, 2020 <3

• Options
    @Linsbins @jhysmath @chewie5990 solidarity among the teachers here. We have finals through tomorrow, and our holiday concert is also tonight. I'm so freaking tired.
  • Options
    @shamrocandroll I'm sorry you had to go through that.  Our company has this huge book of procedures for how to deal with a million kinds of emergencies except something like that.  I work at a hotel/condo complex and there was all this talk after the Vegas incidents about changing policies etc. and not much ever came of it.  It's not just shooter, but we have bars and restaurants on property and sometimes there are unmanageable drunks and I'm not even clear on what I'm meant to do should I encounter one of them. 

We had our company holiday party the other night and the fire alarm went off.  Everyone seems quite calm about it and I'm about to leave thinking I'm the only one who won't perish in the fire when security finally assured us that it was safe to stay, but NO ONE made an attempt to leave the party out of a few hundred people.  It was kinda absurd.  Had it been a real fire (we were not on ground floor) it would have been bad. 
  • Options
    @Linsbins I am sorry but your kid with pants issues made me laugh. I used to teach SPED preschool and it was my favorite job ever, but there is no downtime. Even on lunch you are doing something for someone or calling someone. Also you don't have a TA? Little guys need more than one adult. 

@shamrocandroll I am sorry. That is a terrifying feeling but I am glad you guys just went, I know you missed the false alarm message but if my ming it is much better to be safe at that point. 
  • Options
    Also my day went the heat in my office is broken, so it was 39 degrees I noped out real quick and worked from home and got in some visits. Then I get a call 20 minutes before school gets out, DS has 103 fever and hasn't been feeling good (the nurse was more upset than me) and the nurse has sent home quite a few kids home and at least 4 are already confirmed flu, I call his pedi and no one can see him until tomorrow. So I get him home and he falls asleep sitting up, he just woke up from coughing and his breathing is not sounding great so I am taking him to the aftercare. In all of this my OB office calls to tell me that they need me to come later because he had an emergency C-section and then they call me asking where I am as I am picking up DS and I was like uhhh you told me to bump it back until 3:45 and it is 2:50 I will be there ASAP but man...
  • Options
    Thanks for the commiseration ladies! I’m so glad break is almost here. 

@shamrocandroll how terrifying. Are you doing okay after all that? I’m impressed your workplace has a system for that. Ours is “listen for gunshots.”
  • Options
    @shamrocandroll we had negatives this morning with an awful wind. I walked dd to the sitter and the poor baby cried "cheeky cheeks" because her cheeks were cold. The truck hadn't defrosted so it was the fastest way to get her to the sitter and to work, I felt so bad for her. I'm glad you at least had a car to sit in, I'm assuming your wind was just as nasty as ours was. 
  • Options
    @jhysmath Awww "cheeky cheeks"  <3.  It was pretty windy, but I guess with adrenaline I didn't notice it too much.  I had a huge, warm sweater on, at least.  

Thanks everyone.  I'm fine and was really angry when I came back in and learned it was a false alarm.  Our buttons aren't even active yet, so they were in the process of testing the system and actually sent out an actual alert.  It shouldn't have happened and I sent a strongly worded email to the head of the project.  Also, we were all trained for this almost 6 months ago and then haven't heard anything about it since.  It was supposed to be activated in August.  It's now December.  Get it together, people.
    **TW**
    Married Sept. 2013
    BFP!  8/24/19

• Options
    Everyone in my office seems to have already started vacation, so I have no work to do and was going to take it easy today and then work from home on Monday since I have my AS in the afternoon and then out until next Friday.  My boss just IM-ed me that the head of our department called needing a "huge favor" to crank out some information by the end of next week.  There goes my easy day :(
  • Options
    @shamrocandroll That must have been a scary situation until you found out it was a "test". I hope they can get it together.

@bananapanda Sorry that you have more stuff to do today.

AFM, I am out all of next week, except for I will work a 1/2 day on Friday. So today I am trying hard to get all my projects out and off of my plate before the end of the day.
    TTC#1 July 2015 
    • BFP: 9/16/15 — MC: 11/8/15 Blighted Ovum
    • BFP: 3/10/16 — Baby Girl born 11/20/16
    TTC#2 April 2019 
    • BFP: 9/12/19 — EDD 5/15/20

• Options
    @m6agua I don't think I'd be so mad if I found out it was an intended test (except for the fact it was literally the coldest day of the winter so far).  But it wasn't.  It was an accidental actual alarm that was only intended to be an internal test and not actually sent out to the entire company.  Like, we hadn't even been told the system was active and suddenly we all had huge red and yellow active shooter alerts pop up on our screens.  Not cool!
    **TW**
    Married Sept. 2013
    BFP!  8/24/19

• Options
    I am trying to get my plans done before my boss goes on maternity leave on Monday, so I foresee a lot of weekend work this weekend. 
  • Options
    Just jumping in here. I have never taught, because I'm pretty sure I don't have the right temperament for exactly what you're all describing! I hope everyone (and especially the teachers!) mad it through their day today with sanity mostly intact.

To comment on the sleep stuff from earlier this week. My two kids are solar opposite sleepers. My 3.5 year old has only had a few months here and there where he's slept through the night consistently. Co-slept until over a year, because with him up 4+ times per night I needed to get sleep somehow. My second wouldn't sleep on or touching me past 3 months. I did have to start the process of night weaning, but in general she loves her sleep and while she's not quite consistently sleeping through the night, way better at 15 months than he was at 2, 2.5 years. She's probably better now than he is now. And +1 to no method is for EVERY child. There are dozens of great methods, and each child is unique. We did very different things with our two to make things better. 
    1st born at 35+4 on 6/6/16
    Team green turned BLUE!
    2nd born at 38+6 on 8/30/18 
    Team green turned PINK!
    Due with #3 on 6/6/20 Team Green

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @emlettuce I saw something on Facebook that was talking about that, how 3 generations of women are all connected because of this. It is so cool! 
  • Options
    @jess09lynn I recommend “The Sleep Lady.” She has lots of different options that relate to your comfort level. It’s not all or nothing (or at least, it doesn’t have to be.)  Our kiddo is a pretty good sleeper at home anyway (so we will probably have a horrible sleeper this time!), but it helped us to teach her to learn to sleep at daycare. We did it at 9-10 months when she was just super struggling with sleep at daycare and I think this time, we would do it earlier. 

@Linsbins I don’t think I’ll be getting my GD test for another few weeks, but thinking of you! A friend had GD and found some great strategies, but I know it was tough at times. She was all about cheese sticks. 
  • Options
    @Austenista so glad to hear you are out of your IL's place! I'm sure it'll take a few weeks to settle down but so nice to be in your own place for Christmas.
    Me: 31 ~ DH: 34 
    FTM
    BFP: 9/5/19 ~ EDD 5/15/20
  • Options
    @Austenista congrats on the move! Great way to go into 2020!
  • Options
    @Austenista so happy for you!! I hope you can get settled quickly.
  • Options
    @Austenista yay! Glad you got out of IL’s. Good luck unpacking and settling in.

I’ve been MIA for a little bit. We flew to TX to spend time with my family before Christmas. It’s been great but I’m happy to get home and sleep in my own bed- headed to the airport now. My IL’s are traveling up to our house right now so they’ll be there when we get home. One of my Caregivers came up positive for Influenza A and of course she’s on the schedule a ton this week so I’m stressing about getting her shifts filled- no one wants to work Christmas week of course. 
  • Options
    @Austenista We had to live with family a couple times and it is SO freeing to get out. Congrats! Also, no shame in pushing back Christmas a week if that'll make it all feel better and more "right" due to being much more settled.
    1st born at 35+4 on 6/6/16
    Team green turned BLUE!
    2nd born at 38+6 on 8/30/18 
    Team green turned PINK!
    Due with #3 on 6/6/20 Team Green

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Anyone almost pass out during their ultrasounds? No? Just me? 🤦‍♀️
  • Options
    @soprano19 we have Christmas number 3 today and 4 tomorrow. Then we host on the 4th. The drug out holidays are always so exhausting!
  • Options
    @bender29 the other annoying thing is that today is Christmas Eve and we are almost completely done with all of our celebrations, except for our own core family Christmas tomorrow morning. It feels lame to have it be Christmas Eve and be done already.
  • Options
    I get that some of you are exhausted by multiple Christmas celebrations, but I'm gonna say 3 is better than none.  It's just me and my hubby.  I'm at work today.  He will spend the day with me tomorrow, but we don't have any family close and he's never celebrated Christmas in his life, so Christmas (and my birthday) tends to be a bit of a bust.  You'd think I'd figure out a way to remedy this by now, but the thought of the stress and expense of the airport at Christmas is a bit overwhelming.
  • Options
    @pirateduck I'm at work today, too. Such a bummer. My family all lives far away, so we also do our own thing Christmas Eve and Christmas. I make a point to make a special dinner both nights and a special breakfast Christmas morning. It gets a lot better once you have kids. Start thinking of traditions you want to have. It makes it a lot more fun.
  • Options
    @ruby696 I agree that establishing our own traditions is a good way to make the day special.  My normal tradition is that I go snowboarding Christmas morning.  It's generally a very quiet morning on the mountain during what is typically a very very busy week.  It's a good mental health break.  Some year's I've made dinner.  The past year or two I baked cookies all day.  I think I'm going to make this my new tradition because I genuinely enjoy baking and don't do enough of it, so to have a quiet day at home and bake Christmas cookies all day is pretty nice.  When I was younger I had a tradition of walking my dog with one of my best friends every year, so even though I can't see her anymore, I do try and set aside some time to spend out in the woods.  I don't know if I'll make an effort to visit family once the kiddo comes along, the airport is so intimidating over the holidays, but I'd love to find a way to make something happen.  Our closest relatives are a 12 hour drive, but around Christmas is my birthday, my nephew's birthday (he'll only be 2 this year), and my soon to be daughter and niece will only be about 6 months apart in age, so I'd love to get something going with them so my daughter can grow up spending some time with her cousins.  I have fond memories of spending time with some of my cousins growing up.
  • Options
    @pirateduck @ruby696 shout out to those of us working today. Hope your days are smooth and go by fast!

I'm sad I didn't get much baking done this year, that's one of my favorite things to do but I just didn't feel up to it. I am making a big breakfast Christmas morning and something nice for dinner since we had to stay home instead of traveling. We decided to make it a celebration of our last Christmas just the two of us, so that's putting a special spin on everything.
    Me: 31 ~ DH: 34 
    FTM
    BFP: 9/5/19 ~ EDD 5/15/20
  • Options
    When MH was in the military we split the holidays between two states and 3 households. It was emotionally and mentally exhausting. We now spend our holidays at home and rotate who visits each year. It’s honestly much less stressful especially when you have young kids that don’t travel well. I know some people love big family holidays and plans, but I’m for sure a small celebration at home person.