July 2020 Moms

Weekly Randoms w/o 12/16

Re: Weekly Randoms w/o 12/16

• @blaf322 are we the same person? I was up late last night and actually had meat at lunch today too! Here's to feeling better in the coming weeks! 
  • @modoodles yesss! FX for both of us!
  • Loading the player...
  • @blaf322 yay!! I am finally having a good chunk of time in the afternoon without much sickness and can now eat most things for lunch (just in the last couple days). I’m hoping it continues and then just keeps getting better. Morning and night are still rough but I’ll take it over 24/7 sickness! 

• @nursejenn5 yay! That's awesome news! I'm sure it's super overwhelming, but you can do it!!

@stlbuckeye132 and all the other Taco Bell eaters, thank you for inspiring my lunch choice for tomorrow.

We had our work holiday lunch today, and the best part of it was the fact that we were not expected to go back to work afterwards. So now I'm home on my couch watching Real Housewives hallelujiah.
  • stlbuckeye132stlbuckeye132 member
    edited December 2019
    @nursejenn5 congratulations!! I'm sure it's overwhelming, but as others have mentioned, you'll surprise yourself with all that you can do! All moms automatically become superheroes after giving birth, it's just a fact of life.

@meri-mac I used to love those Old El Paso taco kits growing up until we had a bad experience with one... I'll spare you the details unless you want to be turned off of them for life. I've never seen my mom so upset!

ETA: clarifying I've never seen my mom so upset at a company, I don't want you all to think my mom got more upset about tacos than actual upsetting life matters.
  • I am so jealous of all of you eating really food, but very happy for all of you that can get stuff down. Crossing my fingers to be joining all of you in the back to eating again club soon!
  • meri-macmeri-mac member
    edited December 2019
    @stlbuckeye132 Haha! No problem. I knew what you meant! Wrath of the momma bear!

Was able to eat a couple of burgers last night and the morning sickness wasn't so bad today. Don't know if it is related, but it was nice.
  • @JessDG I love movie popcorn. I may need to find a movie I want to see this weekend 😂  

I keep having dreams about Jason Momoa. Last night in my dream he took me to some big garage and then we got in this big old black truck and were getting pretty cozy when DH'S  alarm went off. Thanks a lot DH. 🤪 But no kidding, this is like the 3rd Jason Momoa dream in the last week LOL!
  • Oh- another random- my 13 yo DS told his teacher we own the movie Daddy's Home 2, because she emailed me last night and told me that he volunteered to let them watch it for their xmas movie in class today and tomorrow. We don't own that movie. I had to go rent it last night, and then we watched it because I wanted to see what they would be watching in school. OMG. There are drunk 9 year olds and some language like d!ckhead. It was funny, but I am surprised they are allowing it in school. 
  • @modoodles but where did you even go to rent it? :joy:
  • @modoodles I looove Jason Momoa! I'm sure you saw the video when he did the haka... swoon. 
    Re: the movie... I wonder if they know about those parts of the movie?
  • @stlbuckeye132 😂😂 I live in a super dinky little town and we still have movie rentals at our grocery store! 

@blaf322 I love him too. I have seen the video but now I'm going to have to watch it and drool all over again. Movie- no idea, it was rated PG13, so I dont know of they just looked at that and are thinking it has to be fine then, but yikes. 
  • Well here's my super random random for the day. I got a 3 lb box of pecans from my employer as a holiday gift... that's 49 servings of pecans in case anyone was wondering. Please spam me with your favorite pecan recipes* b/c idk what to do with these (for the third year in a row). :neutral:

*No pecan pie recipes please! haha not a fan.
  • @stlbuckeye132
    My parents' neighbor makes something like these cinnamon sugar pecans for them every year and they are SO GOOD.  If I had a ton of pecans, I would make a lot of this.  https://joyfoodsunshine.com/cinnamon-sugar-pecans/
  • @stlbuckeye132 my dad uses pecans in fudge! 
  • @stlbuckeye132 My grandmother used to make homemade Chex mix with pecans, it was delightful.
  • @stlbuckeye132 I don’t have any recipes but that is definitely a random gift! That recipe @JessDG posted sounds really good! I love those bags of pecans and cashews they sell in the mall. 

I am so lazy these days! Or at least I feel like it. I get this very slight urge to clean and then as soon as I get up it’s gone... I need 2nd trimester to get here soon so I can have some energy and not feel like I’m living in a mess! 

• @hbird0723 I live in a mess too, except for last night, apparently cleaning the kitchen at 4 am was a good idea.... :sweat_smile:  
  • I feel the laziness too. My dad was stopping by yesterday and about 10 minutes prior I’m like hmm I don’t remember the last time I vacuumed or swept. I swept and called it good. 😂 (thankfully H has been helping out with some things, more than he used to so I’ll take it)
  • Thanks for the pecan suggestions! I guess I have some baking in my future lol
  • @eljames83 I'm with you - today is the last day before winter break and I am READY. How early is too early to put on my email auto reply? 🤔
  • I feel kind of bad for my DH. Yesterday I sent him a video on messenger of a cajun shrimp/sausage/zucchini/squash/peppers recipe to do in our air fryer. It sounded soooo good. He bought everything to make it on his way home from work, but by the time it was done, that 15 minute craving was gone and I could only eat the veggies. There was NO WAY I could force the shrimp/sausage into my mouth. Gag.
  • @mehugg mine is on but set to start at end of day!  Less than one day more
  • @mehugg I'm about to set up my auto-reply too. :lol: I'll set it to not start until 4:30pm, but it still gives me a little thrill just getting it ready.

AFM, I'm taking off through 1/1. Sooo excited for a break, but I'm going to be potty training DD during that time so not sure how relaxing it will really be. I'll likely be pretty sparse until I'm back at work, but I'll still try to check in when I can!
  • STM+ ... What are your christmas morning traditions with your kids?  We are going to be home for Christmas morning just the 3 of us since DS was born.  Anyone do anything cool besides open presents and make breakfast?
  • @JessDG we open just a pajama and xmas movie box on xmas eve, then Santa brings everything else in the MOTN. The kids get up and inevitably somebody comes running, "santa claus came! Santa claus came!" And everybody gets up and they play all morning with their toys. We have breakfast and dont do anything for the entire day. It's the best. Also, at our house, Santa doesnt wrap xmas gifts, so that's way less work! And they are so excited to see everything all out in plain sight on xmas morning. 
  • @JessDG nothing special here.... DD's 3 and I feel like she'll really get it this year. I'm interested to see what others say though!
  • @JessDG it's only DD's second Christmas, but this is the first one in 7 years that we'll be home and not elsewhere on Christmas, and I'm sooo looking forward to it. I don't have anything special planned besides my family's traditional Christmas breakfast of breakfast pizza and coffee cake. Then we'll do presents and a whole lot of nothing else.
  • @modoodles that was sweet of him... I’m sure he understood though and at least he got to enjoy them 😊 my DH bought all these things he thought I’d be able to eat the other day and one was some Mac and cheese butter and parm thing. I thought it was so random and didn’t realize he got it thinking of me (I told him I used to eat spaghetti with butter and parm when my reflux was bad) so I was like did this just sound good butter and parm? That’s random... he was like uh I thought you might be able to eat it. I felt so bad. Here he was thinking of me and I’m like what the heck is this and who did you buy it for 😂🤷🏻‍♀️ Oops! 

• hbird0723hbird0723 member
    edited December 2019
    Oh and Christmas... we also do a Christmas Eve box with PJs and a movie, books and maybe a small toy. Nothing else really special on the day of (I say the day of but we actually pick a weekend before family stuff to have our own Christmas which is actually this weekend). So tonight is our Christmas Eve and we will make homemade pizzas, they’ll open their boxes and we will watch a movie. Then tomorrow they open their gifts and have French toast usually. I just realized I didn’t get hash browns or bacon 🤦🏻‍♀️ I just can’t get it together this year. I totally forgot about teacher gifts and all kinds of stuff. I mean I used to teach 🤦🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️

• DS is going to be 2 in March, so he’s still too young to fully get it all, but we’ll do the usual presents + breakfast and eventually make our way out of the house for Christmas dinner at my grandmother’s house. 

Speaking of random things and Christmas, thank goodness for Amazon Prime when it comes to last minute crap. I completed forgot about a gift for my goddaughter 🤦🏼‍♀️. Plus I ordered all kinds of stocking stuffer type things. Far too distracting by all things baby to focus fully on Christmas!
  • I have a 1 and 3 year old, and I’m kind of considering starting to open presents early - like one a day, starting tonight or tomorrow. Because 1) I don’t love the mad rush of opening presents without really enjoying them or being grateful for them and 2) when I was a kid, I got sooo excited about Christmas that I wouldn’t sleep the entire night before and would have a massive meltdown on Christmas Day. Every time. This might just be a me problem, but I’m wondering if spreading out the fun could help manage any potential over-excitement. 
  • @Pascal86 I think that’s a pretty good idea, honestly. Little kids like that get so easily overwhelmed, especially if they’re faced with a pile of fun presents. They would get to savor it a little more if you spaced it out. Worth a shot, at least 🤷🏼‍♀️
  • Anyone who has been to an RE (or has gotten frequent US)...is it normal for them to “draw” the baby? I got copies of my US visits paperwork from the RE when I left today and I am dying at these stick figures 😂 

• @b_1029 uhhh... I don’t think my RE does that. But that’s hysterical 
  • @Pascal86 my second was born on 12/21 and my oldest was 22 months that Christmas. There was no way I was bringing a 4 day old baby to my parents with 50 germy people for Christmas dinner. MH took our oldest and brought home most of his gifts unopened. We spent the next week opening one or two presents a day. He'd get to play with each for a while and didn't want to open more. The slow pace was nice!
  • @b_1029 I love those drawings so much! I’m an US tech so I’ve drawn many a uterus/stick figure baby/various other organs over the years when teaching the students we get at our site, so it’s funny to see other people doing it in their jobs too 😂.