July 2020 Moms
Options

Weekly Randoms 12.9

Re: Weekly Randoms 12.9

• Options
    @JessDG yesss to the chick fil a sauce! I love when we have extra leftover to keep a stash at home!
  • Options
    @JessDG That's such a cool story for the beginnings of chick sauce. It's soooo good. I would happily bring in a container to have filled up if they let me :D 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @JessDG talk about local pride  :D
  • Options
    Dang it, now I really just want CFA!!! 
  • Options
    Does anyone else hate the phrase “let me know if you need anything”? I feel like it is an empty promise, that you say because you feel like you have to, but obviously with no actual plan to follow through with helping. 
  • Options
    stlbuckeye132stlbuckeye132 member
    edited December 2019
    Wow, I missed a lot this morning! Since I haven't had CFA, I can't really add much, but I agree it was nice seeing people respectfully explain their different viewpoints. I soooort of want to try this CFA sauce that everyone raves about, but idk... surely it can't be better than Cane's sauce?

ETA: I'm intentionally stirring the sauce pot now haha 
  • Options
    @stlbuckeye132 I like Cane’s much better than CFA, for what it’s worth. 😁
  • Options
    @stlbuckeye132
    I may live in the town there CFA sauce was invented now, but I grew up in south Louisiana and Raising Cane's is FAR superior.  Sorry CFA.  The closes Cane's to me is an hour and a half away, but you bet I make us stop there anytime we pass through!
  • Options
    On a different fast casual topic - my coworking place has a perk that people come and try and bribe us to do things (use their tax software, sign up for their email list, etc) and today our bribe was free Sweetgreen which I never purchase because it's an $11 salad and I feel so fancy eating it (and also didn't pack a lunch today).
  • Options
    @JessDG I moved to Minneapolis from New Orleans and when we got a Raising Canes I flipped out. So. Much. Joy. It may be negative bazillion degrees outside but at least I can soak my tears in Cane’s sauce. 

• Options
    So I like Cane’s but 😬 I don’t like their sauce and it makes me sad they don’t offer ranch. That being said their chicken strips are so good and the honey mustard sauce is a good alternative. 

• Options
    @hbird0723 the first time I had Cane's sauce, I also was not a fan. But then I had it drunk and my drunk tastebuds approved and now I love it sober too haha

@pocketrose I've not heard of sweetgreen, but I googled and it looks great and very healthy! Free food ftw!
  • Options
    I totally love CFA! now I am craving a shake and I can't have because I need to watch my weight.... :neutral: so I am trying to avoid delicious sugary stuff and carbs which is super hard this time of the year... 
  • Options
    I've never heard of Cane's but this discussion is making me want to book a flight to the nearest one!
  • Options
    @kc0711 My boss (our president) said that to me. Something to the effect of, "you're the first person here to go through this so please let me know if there's anything you need or anything I can do to better support you." I wanted to be like, ummmm, you can let me flex my time so I don't have to use PTO for every appt. And consider letting me WFH when I'm a gazillion weeks pregnant in the dead of summer.... but none of that will happen. It was a completely empty offer.
  • Options
    @pocketrose that's one thing I looooved about working in infusion pharmacy years and years ago. Drug reps were always bringing in lunch or goodies for us. And then when I moved to the sales side of things, it was fun to have the meals and eat with all my doctor offices while chatting it up with them... My sales territory was a bunch of small towns so it was basically just like having a company funded lunch with friends at that point lol
  • Options
    @pocketrose my H used to run a Chop't location, which is pretty similar to Sweet Green. He would bring me free salads for lunch every day and by the time he left there I was so sick of fancy schmancy salads I have not eaten one in the two years since he left. Some of those salads were like $15-20 depending on what you add! 
  • Options
    @zande2016 that is a pretty nasty experience! People suck sometimes. I'm also sad you didnt get your chicken nuggets. 
  • Options
    blaf322blaf322 member
    edited December 2019
    On top of feeling like garbage today, I also look like it. 
    My coworker stopped, mid-sentence, to ask if I was okay because I look so pale. She was worried I was going to pass out. 
    In case you can't tell from my photo, I'm pretty fair skinned as it is. So for someone to say I look even more pale doesn't mean I'm looking great today lol. Oh well, you win some. You lose some, I guess.
  • Options
    @blaf322 I'm uber pale as well. Today, half my face is bright red and the other half is paler white.  I'm glad no one has commented.
  • Options
    @blaf322 I think it’s pretty cool your boss even took the time to extend his (possibly useless) offer. That’s more than most do!
    Why not circle back with him on the flex time vs PTO for appointments? (Maybe helpful for him too to better understand the expected frequency).  I mean, worst he can say is no.
  • Options
    I met my new OB today, and when I told him I’m +5lbs from my son 2 years ago and struggling to eat healthy bc I feel like death all day long, he immediately prescribed me meds for nausea + told me to start exercising ASAP. 🙄 Yeah, on it dude. 🥱
  • Options
    @pretzellover really? I mean, saying that is no different than saying nothing if there's no real intent behind it. I'd kinda just rather him not make empty offers.
    We're a small company. My coworkers, before I got here, tried for YEARS to get him to approve flex time (I'm talking, people wanted to be able to come in 30 mins early so they could take an hour for lunch or leave at 4:30 and his stance is no. 9-5 with a 30 min lunch. No exceptions. And he thinks having your data on the cloud is way too dangerous and prefers to keep PAPER RECORDS of every sales transaction, in file cabinets. Nothing is accessible remotely, not even our email. So WFH isn't an option and won't be something he considers (he's super set in his ways).... he has kids and knows what the appts look like, but I think he's less sympathetic b/c he makes $$$ and his wife is a SAHM so they never had to deal with balancing ML/PTO/time out of office for visits etc.

It sounds like I'm ragging on him and just hate it here, but that's totally not the case. My boss is great! And really caring in a lot of ways... I'm sure, in his head, he meant it... but he meant, like, if I need to ask someone to stop heating up fish in the break room for you, type thing... vs something that would actually be helpful. 
  • Options
    @pretzellover also, I'd have laughed in your OB's face :D Yeah, getting to the gym is the first thing I want to do when I'm hanging on by a thread over here ::eye roll::
  • Options
    @b_1029 I feel your pain. I just keep eating because it keeps the nausea at bay 🤷🏼‍♀️
  • Options
    @b_1029 I’m right there with you. I was able to eat a relatively healthy lunch for the first time in weeks, but now I’m just sad I only bought 1 bag of bbq chips
  • Options
    @blaf322 I just cracked up at all paper records, nothing stored in the cloud or remotely accessible. That is definitely VERY unusual & makes flexibility near impossible.
    I thought it might be a semi-genuine offer - but sounds like it’s not.
  • Options
    @blaf322 your company sounds like mine in a lot of ways - two male co-founders who are great, but have wives that became SAHMs when they had kids. So super understanding of having kids big picture, but no grasp on what it’s like to work full time and be a mom. Although I get allll the flex time I want (mostly because it usually means I just work a lot of extra hours), and work from home whenever I want (4 days a week). Also the push for mat leave that took sooo long and was specifically designed to keep me from quitting but likely benefit nobody else... 😂

And @kc0711 I tell people to “let me know if you need anything” about 20 times a day at work because it’s code for “get your shit done.” But I hate that term in life otherwise. Tell me specifically how you can help me, and when! I’m never going to take you up on a non-specific “anything,” so it’s not helpful. 
  • Options
    kristinl492kristinl492 member
    edited December 2019
    I put my scrub top on inside out this morning and didn’t realize it until I got to work. So now I have deodorant marks all over the outside of my shirt 🤦🏼‍♀️. Also, I flat out gave up on brushing my teeth in the mornings. I physically cannot do it without gagging immediately. Yay for mints!  Pray for my dental health 😂 Happy Wednesday!
  • Options
    blaf322blaf322 member
    edited December 2019
    @kristinl492 be warned, pregnancy effed up my teeth! I had multiple cavities after when I had only had ONE ever, as a kid, before then. 

@Pascal86 yes! That's exactly how my situation is with my boss! He gets the big picture, and that's about it. When I came to him in advance, proposing a new ML policy, he said he talked to his wife about it and yadda yadda... whatever she said about it being something you start thinking/planning for well in advance when you're a woman. I wanted to be like, uhhhh.... well, IVF, so it's definitely something we are working on welllll before getting pg lol... bless his heart.
  • Options
    @kristinl492 @blaf322 Last time I went to the dentist after having my daughter my hygienist said "we see this all the time in new moms their teeth become last priority". I was a little thrown off cause I thought I wasn't doing too bad taking care of my teeth lol, thanks guy. 
  • Options
    I can see all the employee holiday gifts in the poor guy’s office who gets stuck with wrapping them. Really hoping it’s not another 5 lb box of pecans like they gave us last year... 😂
  • Options
    I can’t stand the smell of food cooking right now.    Last night I made oven roasted chicken and couldn’t even look at it.  Dh came home and I said there is dinner for you and the kids, I need to go in the bedroom. Later I went and got myself a milkshake for dinner.   Any odorless dinner suggestions? 

• Options
    @MrsTiger123 I’m using pregnancy as an excuse to buy cereal, which I never bought before. I do Raisin Bran a lot, or grapenuts mixed with yogurt and fruit. 

Also a fan of peanut butter and banana sandwiches. 

Totally understand the odor issue. I made steak last night and couldn’t eat it (but was fine eating the leftovers for lunch). 
  • Options
    @blaf322 @mrsdrez I live in fear of my teeth just falling out on me after this pregnancy. I had the same issue with brushing my teeth during my first pregnancy and I made it through alright. It subsided after the first trimester, but I’m already a little prone to cavities. Hoping number 2 doesn’t completely ruin them!
  • Options
    Reading this is making me want to abandon this failed napping attempt and go floss my damn teeth! 
    @MrsTiger123 Ive been all about the smoothies for lunch and dinner the last couple days. Sounds good, tastes good, doesn’t smell bad & doesn’t irritate the reflux. May need to research some more nutrient rich recipes though if this continues (anyone have any good resources?!)
  • Options
    @pretzellover i love smoothies! they have been really helpful during the first trimester. in addition to frozen berries, bananas, mangos, peaches, etc., we always put kale, greek yogurt, and protein powder in it. it makes it much more filling and adds in some of those good nutrients.
    married to DH on March 15, 2018 <3 TTC since May 2018
    dx: PCOS, hypothroidism <3 tx: timed intercourse with meds (dexa, clomid, letrozole, metformin, trigger shots)
    First TTGP: 5/9/19 BFN, 6/21/19 BFN, 7/29/19 BFN, 8/1/19 started a break from tx, 11/16/19 surprised with a BFP! LO born 7/7/20
    Second TTGP: started meds for first cycle of tx on 10/13/21

• Options
    Feeling like poop. Got tested today for the flu. It came negative but my body feels like it's coming on top of my mil who doesnt help and just judges. I would of much rather been at work today to say the least. When will she leave my house on this 1 month vaca tour. this pregnancy is kicking my butt compared to my first. So ready to feel good again. Cant wait for baby free Friday bc it's my husband and is 5 yr wedding anniversary.  Hopefully I'm better by then. Sorry just needed to rant. Lol