May 2020 Moms
Options

Product Spotlight: Diapering

2»

Re: Product Spotlight: Diapering

• Options
    @chewie5990 kids in general automatically make EVERYTHING sticky, so it can't hurt to have some cloth wipes and spray on hand at all times!  It seems like the "recipes" whether doing your own cloth or disposable is all stuff I'd normally have at home anyway, so pretty easy.  I was looking at a few websites that mentioned cutting up old T-shirts and jersey knit sheets and realized this may be the perfect use for an old sheet set I have that is a size of a mattress we no longer own in our household.  I don't have a surger, but I've been toying with getting one...  this sounds like a good excuse!
  • Options
    I did cloth for my first kid until about 18 months. I switched to disposable when we were staging and moving houses because it was one less thing to do and when kid 2 came along I didn’t feel like keeping up with the laundry with 2 in diapers. I might do cloth again for baby 3 at least for the newborn ebf stage since it’s so easy. My favorite brand is grovia. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @pirateduck I actually still carry around cloth wipes and a small spray bottle because honestly it’s 100% easier to clean up little kids with than disposable wipes. We use cloth wipes exclusively until we switch to solids and then we use disposable for nasty diaper changes. 

I never made my own. I bought a mix of brands. I like the grovia ones, they’re super soft and plush. Also, the baby wash cloths make awesome boosters for newborns if they start to outpee your NB option before they outgrow it size wise. I just use flats and size 1 thirsties covers but a wash cloth is a simple booster that doesn’t bulk up the diaper too much. The random tips you learn along the way will surprise you.
  • Options
    @pirateduck adding to all the cloth diaper tips you got already. 

I made my own cloth wipes but didn't have a serger so at 18 months in the zigzag is fraying a bunch. I have an embarrassing amount of flannel in my fabric totes because Joanne's airways has it on sale for like $2 on black friday. I also don't use a solution and just use water. I'll throw a water bottle in her diaper bag and just wet the wipes. 

I've only used tide powder as my research said that's best and it hasn't been bad. I'm only starting to get stains at 18 months abs in guessing that's because she's eating a ton of food now, I'm only washing about once a week and I'm not hanging them outside. In the summer we don't own a dryer so they only get hung outside then and I wash every 2-3 days because I need to make sure we have sun and diapers take longer to air dry so I can't just do a load when I realize I only have 3 diapers left. 

I used newborn diapers until around 8 weeks with dd. My favorite new born covers were sweet pea velcro they had the best fit at the earliest time. Get the newborn sized Prefolds because size ones are huge and bulky between skinny legs. I thought I could just go with size 1 but it didn't work. Size 1 thirsties duowraps worked great transitioning from newborn to OS. I also like imagine which are decent price. My favorite Prefold is the grovia ones because they're soft even when hung out on the line. I've seen bamboo preflats that I wish I knew about before all of my Prefold purchases, so check those out. 

I do prefer the more expensive all in one/twos diapers. They're much easier for my reluctant husband and our sitter. My favorite brand until about 12 months was grovia shells and Inserts the velcro is very soft of their bellies and if they don't poop you can likely just change the insert instead. After 12 months my daughter learned how to take velcro off and would take her diaper off and run around and pee/poop on the floor.

I like smart bottoms for their trimness to fit under clothes. Overalls are tight with cloth. 

I like best bottoms for their snap in Inserts and their fit once she started walking until about 9 months old I couldn't get the fit just right because she wasn't fat enough for them.. 

Bumgenius freetime have a great fit can be found at most brick and motor box stores for easy pick up for baby showers and we're the first aio to fit her. What I don't like about them is the two Inserts when getting poop off. I dunk and swish in the toilet, and the poop on both parts means a lot of working in not touching poop while getting it all off.

Charlie banana were great when she was little because they adjust at the elastics instead of a folding snap. She out peed them though by 5 months even with both Inserts. 

I don't care for pocket diapers as it adds to the prep needed in washing and folding. I have lalabye, mio bambino, tots bots, kawia, and bumkins so I've tried a bunch and is say lalabye is the best because you unsnap them and don't have to pull them out, I'm not a fan of their fit though. 

• Options
    Wow, you ladies are full of great info!  It sounds like with cloth and disposables that fit is a huge issue so perhaps it's best not to stock up too much in advance and/or purchase a variety of brands to figure out which kind fits best to minimize blow outs!
  • Options
    @pirateduck I never have had a blow out with cloth. In disposable diapers, yes all up the back into the hair all over the car seat. MH took awhile to come around to using cloth outside of the house, so it always got in the car seat.

I did purchase a wide variety and used sales to stock up. Black Friday has good sales, I'd recommend a place like Nicki's Diapers that has sales and deals where you can get "free diapers" for points or something. I used a place in Maine that went out of business last year so I'm not sure how other websites work, but that one gave points for purchases that added up to gift certificates you could spend there. They also had deals like buy $75 of items and get a free diaper of their choosing. That's how I got so many different brands to try as they would send me different ones I hadn't bought yet so it was fun. The other big sale for cloth diapers is Earth Day it's much like the black friday sales so if you want I'd personally buy a couple good deals at black Friday. Wait to see if you get any for your baby shower, and then buy more at Earth Day. 
  • Options
    @jyhsmath I never thought of an earthday sale!  It makes sense though and is still in time for baby (maybe)!
  • Options
    @pirateduck Tons of earth day and Black Friday sales. Nickis Diapers, diaper junction, my sweet pickle, lil Tulips. There’s tons of websites that run sales and have FB and Instagram pages that post about them. A lot of them do have rewards programs too.