January 2020 Moms

Re: November Appointments

• Loading the player...
  • @kbrown2385 fingers crossed it's not Pre-E <3
    PG #1: 36w5d 12/25/19
    PG #2: EDD 8/15/23 Miscarried 9w1d 1/11/23
    PG #3: EDD 12/15/23
  • @amb0924 I can only vouch for the belly measurement, but usually with twins they don't since there's not really a way to have the measurement correlate to the size of the baby when there are two in there
  • I'm with the others that were overweight in previous pregnancies. I wasn't given any guidance with DS1 and I gained 30lbs, 22lbs net. He was 7lbs13oz. This time I was told 15-20, but I am in better health and weighed less when I became pregnant this time, so I'm kind of like... Eh. 

I'm also at risk for PreE and IUGR due to age and BP, but also GD due to weight and age and I'm like... Won't they cancel each other out baby size wise? (kidding) If I end up with GD, my plan is to redo my WW subscription and follow the meals and points for BF part time. 
  • thanks @leprechaunlady! I'm reassured to know you are n the same boat. I just got nervous without gaining weight even though CLEARLY my belly is growing  :D I am 1000% in agreement I'd rather just manage it even if it's borderline GD. These babies are higher risk already, want to give them the best environment to grow as possible- but also as Kbrown2385 said- just another thing to add to the list with the Lovenox/Heparin shots and being high risk to begin with. I know you of all people understand that too! 

@kbrown2385 fingers crossed no PreE for you!

@c1kc1kpol1cn1k that's what they had originally told me regarding measuring the belly- but then when she did it today it was one of those things where it's like- well you know what the measurement is now I want to know! this was the first appointment they measured. Maybe she kind of just forgot? 
  • @amb0924 yep - 7x finger pricks a day to check blood sugar, 2-3 insulin injections per day & a daily blood thinning injection, im a human pin cushion these days. But we’re on the downhill side now & we got this! 
  • @peppyj9 That's great news!! 

@amb0924 Sorry you got such conflicting information at that appointment. FX for no GD, but I'm also glad it seems the babies are doing well! 

My next appointment is on the 7th--my 1HR glucose test. I got pretty nauseous with it last time and am hoping I'll be okay this time. 

Guys are there symptoms for GD? I feel like I remember the answer could be no from my last pregnancy but I've been deprived of so many American sweets for the last 10 months that I'm PRAYING I don't have to wait another 3 to resume eating them. 
  • @MsIan especially around the winter holidays! Hope you pass too. Mine is on Monday. I have no idea about symptoms...
  • @mslan @biolprof I'm doing my GD test on Monday too.  Fx for smooth tests and good results for all!

I looked up if GD has symptoms on the internet out of curiosity (never had it before) and found that while there may be no symptoms, some woman have fatigue, excessive thirst, excessive urination, nausea, large-measuring baby, etc.  This is a fairly hilarious list since more than half can be attributed to pregnancy in general (e.g., who here isn't tired and peeing all the time? 😂)
  • @cats_in_a_window Ughhhhhhh. That's the first. FX for sure because I have all of those 😂
  • @peppyj9 congrats on your blood pressure going down! That's great news!

@amb0924 that sounds like quite the "normal" appointment. And for the disability stuff, I get 36 weeks for a single baby, but I don't get the problem with being ready earlier with twins. It doesn't make any sense.

GD test Tuesday morning. Fingers crossed I pass. I barely passed last pregnancy.
  • And I am another who failed the 1 hour test by 2 lousy mg. The doc even said "sorry!!" cause now I have to do the 3 hour. Also i'm slightly anemic. I already take so much iron....ugg the thought of more is sad days....
  • hang in there @biolprof! For some reason, the 1 hour test impacted me (from lightheaded to pounding headache) more than the 3 hour one
  • FyreFlyeRushFyreFlyeRush member
    edited November 2019
    Ow.... TDaP. That sucker stings. 

After the scale debacle two weeks ago, where we ended up just guessing the weight, I was worried what the gain would be. They have a new scale, which tells me maybe the old one died, lol. But, it was 0 gain. So, either we overestimated and I had a gain, underestimated and I lost some, or just stayed neutral... In any case, I'm still on par to gain the recommended 15-20lbs this pregnancy. 

Blood pressure is back down. Urine is clean. Baby is active. Off to the MFM tomorrow for my growth scans, plus Glucose...syphilis (state law)... Iron.... Etc.

Edit - UGH. Now I want to hurl. 

• marebear15marebear15 member
    edited November 2019
    @FyreFlyeRush - Good job on the no weight gain!

My doctor just shakes his head every time and says I'm a little over where I need to be. Like dude, I'm on track to gain 35lbs, which is still in the normal range, chill. He only wants me to gain 25lbs though, and thinks it'll help my chances of a VBAC, so I gotta listen to the man.
  • I had endocrine clinic today - my sugars have been a little out of whack this past week to 10 days & they are altering my insulin dosage to see if that helps. Then at the end of my appointment the consultant said that I needed to come back next week again. To which I replied no, I have twin clinic on wednesday next week, I wont be coming here on tuesday aswell. I’ll make an appointment for 2 weeks time & email in like usual & make a call if I need to come in in 2 weeks time again after that 🙄
  • Am I the only one who's flu shot made me forget that I even got my Tdap? Man my right are my hella sore for a few days after the flu shot, while my left was sore for a bit then completely fine.

I'm still waiting on my 3rd trimester blood work and glucose test. But I'm assuming no news is good news so far. But it does seem pretty delayed for blood work that was done on Thursday.
  • @marebear15 I'm hoping for vbac too and my OB never once said a word about weight gain with regards to it. It's strange how different they all are about taking about weight.

@biolprof sorry!! Hopefully you pass the 3 hour. My OB mentioned the range had changed from last pregnant, so I'm hoping I'm not going to be in the same boat. I barely passed last time.

Man that drink affected me so much worse this time around. I feel awful still.
  • @leprechaunlady awesome standing your  ground!

Just back from my midwife apt, I have a team of 3 and this is the first time I met this particular midwife and I love her! She definitely matches my personality, I hope she is the one who will be at the birth. She said we can go right to 2 week appointments so thank god for that. She also said last time I was in I had a lot of sugar in my urine so that was a bit of a concern and I had to do another test, if it come's back high again then off I go for the 3 hour glucose test! (even though I passed the 1 hour ...ugh). She's also being proactive and is sending me to the hospital to book a growth scan (since DD was big). She didn't give a specific time to go by, more like within the next couple weeks. If the scan show's a large baby then they want me going in again around 37 weeks. Anyone experience this before? 
  • @stashattack my flu shot was actually worse than my TDAP which is surprising. Usually the TDAP is worse for me...

@marebear15 I'm on track for 35 pounds of weight gain too I think and my docs have literally not said a word about weight my entire pregnancy. I wouldn't worry too much. People's bodies do their own thing. Continue to eat healthy and the rest will be!

@FyreFlyeRush congrats on a great appointment

@persnickity good luck today. It seems like a lot of people fail the 1 hour so I'm unsure why the reduced the reference ranges...perhaps too much undiagnosed GD?

@leprechaunlady glad you don't have to go back next week. What's with these physicians and wanting appointments!

Am I the only one who hasn't had urine's done since first tri? Is that a high risk thing?
  • @biolprof i've had a urine test every appointment and i'm def not high risk. It's just standard at my practice. So IDK. You are lucky though and I'm jelly. Especially since I have an app that I use to track my BP each week so I don't have to start going to more often appointments. I'm still on a monthly schedule for now.
  • @leprechaunlady they are out of control with their appt requests. Glad you stood your ground! I’m sure she really liked your response 😆
  • @kbrown2385 I think she was a little taken aback at my response & just kind of looked blankly at me. So i explained I have already had this conversation with the lead consultant and my husband is a doc & i email in twice a week so its not like im not on top of things 🙄
  • @biolprof I only had urine done in first tri, they don't test that anymore here. I only had a concern at my last appointment and asked them to test. Question: when you did your flu shot how long were you "out" for? Is it safe to do it on a friday evening and be good the next day or?

@kbrown2385 great you had a good appointment! 

• @biolprof I didn’t start urine samples until this pst Friday. I thought it was weird since every other ob I’ve been to always did it every appt. I guess it all just depends on the office.

@c1kc1kpol1cn1k so glad you like the new midwife! I had growth scans bi weekly starting at 30 weeks with ds. He was a 9lb 10oz baby born at 39 weeks. 
  • @kbrown2385 did you notice there was a great jump in the size at the biweekly scans or a gradual "normal" increase? My concern is if I go to early and the results show all is good, she doesn't need me to then go for any more scan's, then I think, what if baby had a slow week and then after a specific week has the growth spurt and we don't catch it? Am I overthinking here haha. DD was also 9lbs10oz and born 39 weeks to the day
  • @c1kc1kpol1cn1k from what I remember his was pretty gradual. He had been measuring 4 weeks ahead from the anatomy scan to the end though so we knew he was going to be big. I think they did the scans mainly because they couldn’t believe I didn’t have gd and he was just big. They also had me do the glucose test three times so they didn’t really have faith in any of the testing lol. 
  • @c1kc1kpol1cn1k dd was measuring big & they were going to induce me at 38 weeks but my waters broke 2 days before this. She was 8lb 5.5oz in the end. 

@biolprof I have to give a urine sample every twin clinic appointment, they dip it & check for all sorts or things like sugars, keytones etc
  • @biolprof last time, I had to leave urine samples every visit. This time they said the standard of care had changed so that I only started doing them at 28 weeks
  • @biolprof My ob collects urine samples at every visit. I thought it was normal...
  • @biolprof, I've had urine done at every appt with all my pregnancies, and my post loss check up. They check bilirubin and protein levels, as well as concentration. 
  • @biolprof
    I also get my urine tested every visit. However, they never really explained that I was supposed to go to the bathroom and leave one on my own, where as my previous OB office gave me a cup and told me to leave a sample at the end of every visit. I ended up asking and found out I was supposed to be leaving one every time. You could always ask at your next appointment and clarify what they want you to do. 
  • @biolprof - I haven't had urine checked since the beginning.  Last time the receptionist mentioned something about starting it up at 32 weeks.   Two babies ago I was at a university hospital, and they stopped doing it completely and said that the new recommendation was only to do it if there was a sign of an issue.  But then I was at a different office for my next baby, and they did it the whole time.  So it seems that different offices have different procedure.  Because it was the university that said not to do it at all (and that was my best delivery of all), I don't worry about skipping it now.  
    BabyFruit Ticker

BFP 3.8.16  EDD 11.20.16

• @biolprof good luck on your 3 hour GTT.  I've heard that lots of people who fail the 1 hour (particularly by just a smidge) go on to pass the 3 hour, so fingers crossed!  I also haven't done a urine test since the first tri bloodwork.  It seems to be different from practice to practice.  For DS, I did one every time.  For DD, from 20 weeks onwards (and then only because I had PreE with DS), and this one I haven't had to do urines at all.  In assuming if my BP starts acting up, they'll ask me to though.
  • @biolprof it's also protocol at my OB to leave a urine sample each time.

However, speaking of changing protocol, found out at MFM today that they no longer measure my cervix after 24 weeks, which is a change in protocol since I became pregnant apparently. Had a growth scan today-- obviously, doctor needs to read the results that the tech took, but tech said everything looks normal with both babies and both placentas, which is always great to hear. To be honest, I think she messed up which was Baby A and Baby B- I told her which I thought each was but she was convinced "the one on the left is Baby B" where I thought Baby B has always been transverse across my belly. Luckily for me, it doesn't matter too much because both babies are around the same size, but I can see how this is confusing! Baby A is measuring 2lbs 14oz and Baby B is 2lbs 12 oz. Baby A is 50th percentile and Baby B is 45th percentile- so I'm happy with their growth =)

I also had appointment for GD with the nurse at MFM today. I'm going to start monitoring my sugars and sending to her weekly. Hoping this can be controlled with diet.