January 2020 Moms
Options

PG or FB Transition

Some discussion has come up about moving our group to either a private group or a secret Facebook group. We are looking to make the transition by the middle of November so that we don't lose any potential regulars over the holiday season. Which would you prefer? 
Feel free to discuss any other options you have and opinions on how to do the process (picking admins, screening members, etc.).

PG or FB Transition 25 votes

Private Group on TB
48% 12 votes
Secret Facebook Group
48% 12 votes
Other
4% 1 vote

Re: PG or FB Transition

• Options
    I'm always on facebook so I would love the transition, but either way it's not a huge deal for me. I could also help admin if we need some :)
    PG #1: 36w5d 12/25/19
    PG #2: EDD 8/15/23 Miscarried 9w1d 1/11/23
    PG #3: EDD 12/15/23
  • Options
    If we did the private group first it might help with the screening etc (not sure?) also it may allow us to open up to one another even more since it is private before going right into FB which is very personal
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Whelp, y'all know the IT tech's view on FB, lol. 
  • Options
    Id be keen on the private group here before moving to a secret fb group when were more comfortable as a core group.
    Like i said in previous comments, i havnt shared anything on my fb page in a long time and really only have it still to participate in my previous bmb group.
  • Options
    My last bump group moved to Facebook and I personally prefer that for ease of use.  I feel like there are always issues with TB app or it takes forever to load.  
  • Options
    I don't have FB...
  • Options
    @kbrown2385 I agree.  I would at least start a private group here and see how many are interested and actually participate.   Maybe after that have a vote for about 4-5 'leaders' that participate regularly (We all have an idea on who we see regularly participate) to help decide who has participated enough that we can move over to a closed/secrete Facebook group.   I only say this because that's what my last BMB and it worked great.  Plus, I think Facebook is just easier in my opinion to navigate.  
  • Options
    Whoops I just basically left a response to this board in the joining groups board a second ago. Essentially, I would prefer facebook. But, I trust the choice made by others with more experience to decide. Just going to go with the flow at this point.
  • Options
    For me, I feel a facebook group would work better because I use it more.  I'm in a couple secret/closed groups on there (MFM and WMD) and the conversations seem to flow pretty easily.  However, I absolutely understand that not everyone uses facebook as I've thought about getting rid of it myself several times over the past few years.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I'm not trying to pressure anyone, but as a non- FB person I would support the use of Slack.  It's equally private as a private FB group. 
  • Options
    @marebear15 good to know!
    PG #1: 36w5d 12/25/19
    PG #2: EDD 8/15/23 Miscarried 9w1d 1/11/23
    PG #3: EDD 12/15/23
  • Options
    Okay, I want to point out one thing. Those with Facebook accounts are still able to post on the bump. However, those without Facebook accounts, who are only going to post here, will be left out of any group created on Facebook. Whatever decision is made is the decision that's made. But that is something to consider. 
  • Options
    @FyreFlyeRush very true that's why the PG might be ok to start off with until we can figure it out better. Or just keep it all public haha who know's! 
  • Options
    Agreed. 
  • Options
    @marebear15 wait what? A convicted murder? 😬
  • Options
    @FyreFlyeRush @c1kc1kpol1cn1k I definitely don’t want to leave anyone out if we can avoid it. 
  • Options
    @kbrown2385 - Yes, and now that I look into it, it wasn't recent. It was around 2012, but there was a post about it recently, which made me think it had just happened. Look up Karla Homolka and love.you.forever.
  • Options
    @marebear15 I have no words 😱
  • Options
    @marebear15 Holy crap re: the murderer. Was the catfish in our old S17 group or was this something else?
  • Options
    @FyreFlyeRush thanks for bringing that up.  

• Options
    @EmilyE13 - No the catfish was in July 2015 maybe? I've read the story several times, but don't remember which board. She had been stealing photos off a Swedish model's Instagram and modifying them so they were hard to trace. It wasn't until she added her "wife" to the board that things really blew up in her face. 
  • Options
    @marebear15 I’m amazed at the amount of time people have on their hands. 
  • Options
    @marebear15, I'm gobsmacked at the concept of someone catfishing a pregnancy group...is it for the attn? As the geriatric mama in the group, maybe I'm just too old to understand, lol. 
  • Options
    @marebear15 I just fell down a rabbit hole with that Karla woman. Sick. Sick. Sick. It is maddening that she is a free woman today. It's a scary world with real monsters. We absolutely need to screen!!! I don't understand why people catfish but clearly there are just weirdos and the internet makes it too easy for those weirdos to infiltrate innocent people's lives. I am all for a requirement of posting proof pictures as a screening process. 
  • Options
    The catfish was July 14. I had to double
    check because I was on the July 15 Bmb with ds and didn’t remember that ish going down. 

• Options
    So crazy. I was also randomly lurking and august 2018 had one too!
  • Options
    @c1kc1kpol1cn1k - Ooh, I forgot about that one. Of course, there was the TTGP girl just a few months ago too. She claimed to have several MCs, but no one knows if that was true. She got banned and came back using an old username that She had used to catfish, not one, but three boards pretending to be pregnant.
    https://forums.thebump.com/discussion/12743855/flame-free-friday-confessions-5-31-19/p1
  • Options
    @marebear15 aaaaa i love it hahaha people are crazy. I remember reading this on the TTGP board too!
  • Options
    @kbrown2385, that was a popcorn worthy read, if you could get past all the deleted posts! People are sad. 
  • Options
    @FyreFlyeRush lol yes! The one @marebear15 posted about on TTGP was pretty good too. 

@marebear15 I always wonder if kels is back on TB somewhere. 
  • Options
    @kbrown2385 - I don't see her being the type of person to stop catfishing especially since she was caught several times. I could see her moving platforms though, and trying out BCB or WTE.
  • Options
    Okay, more things to discuss:
    - How many admins should we have? We could probably have a nomination thread and then a poll thread to vote for them, that way the voting is anonymous. 
    - Once we have admins and a PG made, we can start screening people. I hate the way some boards have made it into a popularity contest. One even had people post and then they could get in based on the number of likes. I would rather it be arbitrary. Like 30 posts in the last 30 days, or something. That way we would screen out the people that just posted in the intro thread and haven't been around for the last 7 months. What would be a good number of posts that you feel makes a "regular" member?
    - Once the regulars are in the group, we can have a "tribute" picture thread. A picture including a bump shot, username, and a random object? What should our object be? 
  • Options
    i want to say the ttgp one appeared on the march 20 board cause there was something similar about one of the girls commented that clearly it was a public forum so she couldnt kick her off it but that she would no longer interact with her cause she didnt believe a word she said. This was back in their very early stages? 
    i may be wrong & it could just have been something similar but different people.
  • Options
    @marebear15 since we don’t have a huge group I think max 3 admins would be good. I think a nomination thread and vote would be a good idea. Maybe nominations and love tits to vote? 

I do agree that I don’t like the popularity vote aspect other bmbs have taken to add people to the pg. Interaction and showing support are big factors for me. 
  • Options
    @leprechaunlady it’s possible. There are quite a few ttgp ladies there that were apart of the board at that time. 
  • Options
    FyreFlyeRushFyreFlyeRush member
    edited October 2019
    It drives me nuts that I have to prove my who I am, going against ALL my IT training and experience, because nut jobs. Ugh. I mean, I will, but it's hard for me when I spend HOURS every year studying and brushing up on Phishing, Social Engineering, Cambridge Analytica, FB scams, etc to go against all my ISAO (Information Security Assurance Officer) training. 

Since we're Jan Moms, some of whom will be delivering in Dec, why not something cheesy and Christmas related...Holiday display at your local grocery, mall, whatever. They'll be going up VERY shortly, if they aren't already.

Edit - add clarifying word type thingies
  • Options
    @marebear15 I agree with a post threshold though not sure what’s an appropriate number. I know people can get busy or sick or go on a trip which can drive post numbers down. Maybe 20? That way if someone was away for a bit it wouldn’t ding them but would also weed out people who posted an intro then ghosted.