June 2020 Moms
Options

Product spotlight - pregnancy books 10/18

Stm any advice on books to read? 
Ftm any questions? 

Re: Product spotlight - pregnancy books 10/18

• Options
    I read ALL all the books and the one my H and I truly loved was called Bumpology by Linda Geddes. It’s a British book but I checked and you can get it in the US. She’s a science journalist and the book is her fact checking loads of pregnancy, labor and baby topics. I’m definitely going to re read it. It’s fascinating! 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I loved Pea in the Pod, covered a lot but a more "birth is a bodily process" than a lot of books which really focus on pregnancy and birth as a medical condition and medical emergency respectively.

The What to Expect books do cover a lot of info, but are very very medically biased, personally. Granted, again, good if you do just like to research things.

I couldn't recommend "Natural Hospital Birth" enough, to anyone, whether you're birthing at home, planning on epidural or not. I know a lot of doctors/hospitals like people to wait until a certain point for epidural (to make sure it doesn't stall things), and this book, more than any other I've read, gives real tips and tricks for managing contractions and real pros and cons for different interventions. 

For those who want to get through without epidural at all, or who have a later labor "pause or stall" , it covers ways to help get your baby and body back on track. 

So I think it's amazing, and I found it helpful for both my c section birth and my home birth. 
    1st born at 35+4 on 6/6/16
    Team green turned BLUE!
    2nd born at 38+6 on 8/30/18 
    Team green turned PINK!
    Due with #3 on 6/6/20 Team Green

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Expecting Better: Why the Conventional Pregnancy Wisdom Is Wrong--and What You Really Need to Know by Emily Oster

I really enjoy expecting better and her review of the "studies" that determine conventional recommendations. 

Also the wonder weeks! This is super helpful for understanding what your baby's fussy periods are about and how to help them through it. 
  • Options
    @runwmusic omg there was nothing more terrifying then when I’d get an email with the subject “Leap Alarm” 😱😱. So accurate though and a very worthwhile book! And so glad DD is done with them aha
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @hayhay2501 we just finished leap 7. It was over a month long... I still have nightmares of leap 4. That was rough! 
  • Options
    I just finished "Expecting Better" and really liked it, helped to calm me down. I've seen good reviews of the Mayo Clinic's guide, is that worth picking up?
  • Options
    @akoros I never finished it but I know it's popular! I dl it free from prime last year. 
  • Options
    my friend gave me Belly Laugh by Jenny McCarthy. Not a fan of hers, but I was told it was a funny, nice break from all the "prep" books. I will give it a try in a few weeks
  • Options
    I liked Ina mays guide to childbirth and on becoming baby wise. :)

read Jenny Mcarthys book. It was funny at times but I felt like it was similar to reading a blog. Not a huge fan. Won’t bother re reading that one.
  • Options
    @runwmusic, good to know! We have prime, I'll take a look
  • Options
    @MssyMmmy I like Ina May’s Guide to Childbirth for its empowering message about the fact that our bodies are fully capable and made for this natural process, but do like to give the warning that it leans so far into the crunchy realm that it makes hospital birth seem like the enemy.