May 2020 Moms

Genetic Screenings and Tests - Questions and Experiences

12346»

Re: Genetic Screenings and Tests - Questions and Experiences

• @brettanomyces ours told us we couldn't opt out of the sex linked ones but there were a few and she only mentioned that one. None of my results came back elevated I just thought it was strange. Perhaps that's the most common one to worry about because it's the one that will likely end in miscarriage? 
  • FML, my doctor just called and my husband and I are BOTH SMA carriers.  I am at a loss right now.  We have been through so much and things were going so well and now this...
  • Loading the player...
  • @pirateduck That's hard news to get. If an anecdote is any help, someone from my previous BMB (I think I mentioned her up-thread) has had 3 healthy babies despite she and her husband both being carriers. Are you going to pursue fetal testing?
    DD #1: April 2017
    DD #2: May 2020
    Baby #3: EDD May 2023; MC October 2022

• @pirateduck Ugh, I am SO sorry.  Is the next step an amnio?  I really hope you get the baby's results back soon and they're negative.  I had a friend go through this and the waiting is awful.  Big hugs  <3 
    **TW**
    Me: 35 | H: 40
    Married Sept. 2013
    DS1: Nov 11, 2016 <3
    MMC: 11/16/18 (9w6d)
    CP: 2/3/19 (5w3d)
    BFP!  8/24/19
    DS2: May 10, 2020 <3

• @catem07 I need to discuss more with my husband.  My gut reaction is that I want testing and my husband will say he doesn’t want more testing.  I just keep trying to remind myself that there’s a 75% chance that everything is good still, but I am terrified.
  • @pirateduck I'm so sorry. Maybe sit YH down with your doctor and discuss why testing is important? Or whether you can test once baby is born? FX so hard that your baby is in the 75% group. ❤❤
  • @ruby696 yes, we will have a consult with a genetic advisor
  • @pirateduck I'm so sorry for the tough news, thinking of you!
  • @pirateduck I'm sorry for the news. I hope YH and you can get on the same page for next steps and I hope baby is in the 75%!
    TTC#1 July 2015 
    • BFP: 9/16/15 — MC: 11/8/15 Blighted Ovum
    • BFP: 3/10/16 — Baby Girl born 11/20/16
    TTC#2 April 2019 
    • BFP: 9/12/19 — EDD 5/15/20

• @pirateduck I'm so sorry! 75% is a very big range though, I also remember someone from my September group though, they had both tested positive, and both their kids did not have it.
  • Thank you ladies.  I've had such a rough journey to even get to this point, I just don't know how much more bad stuff I can handle.  Praying for a good outcome.  At this point there's really not much else we can do.
  • @pirateduck so sorry for the bad news, hopefully if you decide to pursue the additional testing you'll get some answers quickly.
    Me: 31 ~ DH: 34 
    FTM
    BFP: 9/5/19 ~ EDD 5/15/20
  • @pirateduck so sorry to hear this.  Hopefully you can get answers quickly if you go through with testing or can find peace in waiting until after baby is here and hope for good news.
  • @pirateduck I'm so sorry for the sucky news. Hoping you can come to an agreement on testing vs waiting. Sending hugs!
  • @pirateduck That sucks, I'm so sorry. Fingers crossed for you.
  • @pirateduck sending hopeful wishes for everything being okay, the good news is the 75% chance that baby is fine...I can’t even imagine how hard the other 25% feels and how much bigger.
  • @pirateduck, sending positive thoughts! FX all is good! Thinking about you.
    ******TW******Siggy warning
    BFP1 04/24/2015 EDD Dec 2015 MMC 10W5d;
    BFP 2 09/25/2015 EDD June 2016 MMC 9wks; 
    BFP 3 03/22/2016 EDD Dec 6th 2016 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• @pirateduck I’m soo sorry to hear this added stress. Are they able to get you in soon for a genetic consult?
  • @pirateduck I'm sorry you have to worry about this. FX for all good news moving forward
  • spiderlover25spiderlover25 member
    edited November 2019
    @pirateduck thinking of you and hoping you can get quick answers with a favorable result!

ETA- @jhysmath I just saw your question. We had the panorama and the only sex-linked condition reported for us was also Turners (negative). We are having a boy. I think it’s just one of the things they test and they report independent of the sex. 
    DD1 born 1/15/14
    DD2 born 9/10/17
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Yes.  I have a consult Tuesday morning.  They will do the amnio the same day if we choose to do that.  I'm not sure how long it takes for results (one of many questions I have for the MFM).  
  • @pirateduck I'm so sorry for the added worry and stress. I have no experience in this area, but hopefully there's some comfort in the fact that 75% is still a really big number. Please keep us posted.
  • So to the STMs has anyone had an amnio?  How was it?
  • I'm bumping this thread.

I am 31 and really have no risk factors so we did not do any of the early screenings or tests, mainly because they aren't covered. With DD we did the Quad test at 16 weeks and chose to do it again this time around. Everything came back low risk, actually even lower risk than with DD who was also low risk. I am thankful, but now my nerves have moved to the anatomy scan results.
    TTC#1 July 2015 
    • BFP: 9/16/15 — MC: 11/8/15 Blighted Ovum
    • BFP: 3/10/16 — Baby Girl born 11/20/16
    TTC#2 April 2019 
    • BFP: 9/12/19 — EDD 5/15/20

• Thank you for that, @pirateduck. I have one scheduled for the 31st and I've been afraid. It's hard to know what to expect, so I appreciate your summary.
  • so - my quad screen results came back abnormal. my OB wants me to have a high-res ultrasound at the MFM practice next week to look for neural tube defects. He was reassuring and said that particularly for twin pregnancies the test just isn't that reliable but I'm worried 😕
  • @allie456 I feel that it’s normal to be worried about additional testing/screening but at least the doctor was reassuring and admitted that the test isn’t that reliable. 

I have Kaiser and their screenings are lumped into first & second trimester. I had my NT scan and blood work at 12 weeks, then more blood work at 16 weeks, and I’m still waiting on the results. I should get them next week at my 20 week appointment but for some reason I’m suddenly anxious. If something came up abnormal, isn’t it getting late in the pregnancy to do an amniocentesis? Obviously, these policies are set in place for a reason but I’m getting anxious.
    Me: 28  DH: 29
    FTM
    BFP 08/25/19, EDD 05/04/20
  • @drkoyya aminos cannot be done safely before 16 weeks and can be performed ANY time after that.
  • @pirateduck Good to know! I just kept seeing weeks 16-20 and wasn’t sure.
    Me: 28  DH: 29
    FTM
    BFP 08/25/19, EDD 05/04/20
  • @drkoyya I think it is because results that show serious abnormalities sometimes lead to pregnancy termination.  In that case, earlier is better than later, for a variety or reasons, number one being the health and safety of the mother, but also the legality in different states.  The other thing with an amnio is that it can take a few weeks to get answers depending what they are testing for
  • mush5mush5 Just Joined
    Oh my gosh, that is so not true!  I do know that Mat21 is the only test to use for multiples because they have the most experience and are in-network with all the insurance companies.  I have friends who are physicians and they swear by this test especially for multiples