May 2020 Moms
Options

Genetic Screenings and Tests - Questions and Experiences

Re: Genetic Screenings and Tests - Questions and Experiences

• Options
    So I have at least found out that Maternit21 is covered 80/20. But she couldn't tell me the contracted rate! 
    DD #1: April 2017
    DD #2: May 2020
    Baby #3: EDD May 2023; MC October 2022

• Options
    For those who have done your NIPT, how long was the turnaround? I just had my blood draw today and I'm not expecting to hear anything for 10+ days, but hoping for quick results.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @ruby696 I haven't gotten my call back yet, but I was told 7-9 days.  I didn't think to ask if that was calendar days or business days until I had already left the appointment.  🤦‍♀️  (This was for Harmony, in my case)
    **TW**
    Me: 35 | H: 40
    Married Sept. 2013
    DS1: Nov 11, 2016 <3
    MMC: 11/16/18 (9w6d)
    CP: 2/3/19 (5w3d)
    BFP!  8/24/19
    DS2: May 10, 2020 <3

• Options
    Thanks @shamrocandroll! This is the most I've ever been nervous about risk factors, so I'm not even eager because we'll learn the sexes. I just want to know they're both okay. Ugh, it's going to be a long ten days!
  • Options
    @ruby696 I don't remember it being very long, maybe 4-5 days before they heard back on the results, I'm at a major metro area, do you think that makes a speed difference in getting results back, maybe? I remember being a wreck at that phone call.
  • Options
    UMMMMM so I literally just got a message about a new test test on my online portal like 30 seconds after messaging my genetic counselor asking if she could not tell me the sex results via phone because I want to find out with MH.  I'm afraid to open it because I don't want to accidentally find out without him here with me, but there's no way it can be my results from Monday's draw already, right?????
    **TW**
    Married Sept. 2013
    BFP!  8/24/19

• Options
    @shamrocandroll Have you had any other tests lately? I mean, it could be... I wouldn't risk it. Can you call your doctor's office and ask what recent results they got in?
  • Options
    @ruby696 It says:

...and that was the only "venipuncture" I had that day.  I mean, I guess since there are multiple parts to the test and there were 3 vials taken, it could be just one of the 3 parts and not the other 2, but that seems mean.  HOW AM I GONNA MAKE IT 2 MORE HOURS!?
    **TW**
    Married Sept. 2013
    BFP!  8/24/19

• Options
    That's probably it then @shamrocandroll !  Now you just have to hang in there until you see your husband.  My doctor's drew my blood Tuesday for NIPT and a million other things.  Results are starting to trickle in, but in the menu it says the name of the test and then I have to click in to see the results, so I can avoid seeing the NIPT until I'm with my husband.  I did get an "equivocal" result to the Rubella immunity, which the doctor hasn't commented on yet, but I have another appointment in a week.
  • Options
    @ruby696 I had my draw at the end of business day on a Tuesday and the results came in the next Monday- with MaterniT21 who uses labcorp. 

@shamrocandroll eek! Can you call and find out the non sex results first so you can at least have peace of mind with that? And then open with your H tonight!
  • Options
    ruby696ruby696 member
    edited October 2019
    @shamrocandroll I'm so excited for you! I can't wait to hear!

Eta: also, I think boy. 🙂
  • Options
    @shamrocandroll how exciting! 
  • Options
    @shamrocandroll ugh! What a tease!
  • Options
    @shamrocandroll Oh jeez, what a let down!
  • Options
    Hahaha!
  • Options
    I'm honestly kind of relieved. My genetic counselor is out of the office this week, and I didn't want to be left to interpret the results by myself. 
    **TW**
    Married Sept. 2013
    BFP!  8/24/19

• Options
    @shamrocandroll I was told that they won’t release the results on the portal until after they are confirmed by the doctor so hopefully you won’t get a surprise!
    DD1 born 1/15/14
    DD2 born 9/10/17
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    I just had my blood drawn today for the NIPT they said they try to call everyone but if I don’t hear in a week my results were fine. They also mentioned it would be on the portal. I didn’t think to ask if the sex would be on there too! Omg Let us know what happens! 
  • Options
    @babyfoxden10 I think you have to elect to have the sex test run?  I opted for 3 tests and they took 3 vials of blood for it, so I dunno what they do or don't do by default.  The main thing is down syndrome and the trisomies.  
    **TW**
    Married Sept. 2013
    BFP!  8/24/19

• Options
    @ruby696 *lurking* the maternit21 people are SUPER NICE about telling you exactly where your results are in the process - like how many days they've had it in process, the exact time and method it was released to your doc, etc. 877.821.7266
    **tw**

married 11.1.14

ttc #1 since 5.18

bfp 12.22.18 letrozole + progesterone

d&e due to trisomy 13/hydrops at 15wks

bfp 7.21.19 letrozole + IUI 

little girl A born 3.26.20

• Options
    An update: I was told by Maternit21 that the Cigna contracted rate is $723. They also have a program called Moms Helping Moms where you do a survey after and then the test only costs $299. The full price for it is $1100. 

• Options
    @catem07 my doctors office does the Mom Helping Moms, too. You have to sign up, apply for the test to be covered through insurance knowing that it’ll be denied, and then use your account through Moms Helping Moms to only pay $299

at least that’s what the doctors office told me
  • Options
    I went this morning to get the NIPT done. My insurance already pre-approved it so I *think* it will be 100% covered. If not, there is an option not to pay through insurance and pay only $99 instead. They used the Invitae test and it was also three vials of blood. 

I was told I’ll hear within 10 calendar days so now it’s the waiting game!
  • Options
    I had my NIPT done this morning, too. Supposedly they submit the paperwork so it’s covered 100%, although I had issues with this with my last pregnancy, so I sure hope they know what they are doing! They said 7-10 days for the results.

Can’t remember if I mentioned this before, but with my prior pregnancy the blood sat on a doorstep someplace over the Christmas holidays and they couldn’t run the test on it and had to draw it again. That was way too suspenseful. Hoping that this time Halloween is not a barrier haha. @chichiphin that’s good to know!
  • Options
    @shamrocandroll I did opt for the sex to be tested I’m just not sure if that would be posted to the portal 

@adventuresawait2 ugh I’m not a fan of getting blood taken as it is plus you had to wait even longer what a bummer. Hopefully no freak storms during Halloween are in the forecast!
  • Options
    @babyfoxden10 It will likely be on the report on your portal as it’s included within the body of the test report- something like “Y chromosome detected” (or not detected). 

But I *think* most offices try to give women a heads up that it is there so they aren’t blindsided if they do not wish to know the sex at that time. At least in my limited experience. My first OB called to tell me the results were normal and that when we wanted to know the sex just to look on the portal. My second OB sent me a message saying the results and to either call or look on the portal for the results of the sex. 
  • Options
    @rachelg777 good to know! Thanks! I’ll be sure to wait for my husband when I open up my results to be safe!
  • Options
    JordanL1221JordanL1221 member
    edited October 2019
    ruby696 said:
    For those who have done your NIPT, how long was the turnaround? I just had my blood draw today and I'm not expecting to hear anything for 10+ days, but hoping for quick results.
    I took mine Wednesday the 16th and had results Monday the 21st! We are team green (trying to be at least) and they said since I didn't want to know, that they wouldn't post to the portal and would note in my file that I did not want to know.

M/MC at 9w4d 5/23/12.

DS1- 8/2013

DS2- 11/2015 (Second round IUI)

DD- 9/2017

Baby #4 Due 5/10/20 TEAM GREEN

• Options
    Do you get NT results the same day or is it something you have to wait for?
  • Options
    @pirateduck, with my last pregnancy I had the NT scan conducted by the technician and had a follow-up appt right after with my OB. The OB then communicates the results from the scan. Some technicians may comment while they are doing the scan that everything looks good, but the OB delivers the results (at least in my case).

This time around, I got my NIPT draw and expect to get results prior to my NT scan, so may be different. OB may comment on both tests during the same visit. 
    ******TW******Siggy warning
    BFP1 04/24/2015 EDD Dec 2015 MMC 10W5d;
    BFP 2 09/25/2015 EDD June 2016 MMC 9wks; 
    BFP 3 03/22/2016 EDD Dec 6th 2016 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    For anyone that is doing a scan—are you waiting to make the big public pregnancy announcement til after you receive the results?

I did my NT ultrasound and came back ok (2.4mm measurement which is “normal” but higher than I was hoping for). I’m dying to tell everyone but thinking it’s prudent to wait til bloodwork comes back. Wait is killing me!
  • Options
    @ohlindalinda I am not really doing a big public announcement and still haven't told our families, so I'm not sure how relevant my answer is to you, haha.  But I decided to wait until after we got our NIPT results back this time around, mostly because we've had 2 losses.  I'm also a lot more sensitive to be public announcements now that I've been on the other side as someone who is struggling to get/stay pregnant, so that plays into it as well.  Honestly I don't love being in the spotlight to start with, so all of that has made me a lot more hesitant to share this time around.  I'm kind of just enjoying this quiet little secret to ourselves right now.  
    **TW**
    Married Sept. 2013
    BFP!  8/24/19

• Options
    @ohlindalinda I am waiting until after the scan to talk about it at work because these are people I have to see and interact with every day.  Honestly I’m tired of pretending I’m not pregnant at work especially when they start talking about scheduling and projects that I won’t even be around for.  I have told some other people as I see them, but don’t have any big public plan whatever that entails.  Our families are spread all over the country and there’s no such thing as a family gathering where we could tell people all at once anyway.
  • Options
    @ohlindalinda Same as @pirateduck and @shamrocandroll. I'm waiting for my 14 week US and my NIPT results before I share. I'm also not into a big public announcement, but I'm really tired of hiding it. I'll tell my boss and then tell people as I see them. Same with family. My cousin who wasn't able to have kids will get a separate text before I tell other family members, on a weekend, so she's not blindsided at work.
  • Options
    @ohlindalinda We told our immediate family last night after our 12 week scan. We already have our NIPT results. I don't have any plans for an announcement as of now. I agree I am so tired of hiding it at work. I just need a good opportunity to tell my "boss" (the daughter of the man whose care I manage). I plan on telling her the next opportunity I have with her alone, but she's out of town for the next week. I'm sure my blump has given me away to my staff by now.
  • Options
    I'm not doing an NT and I don't think I'm going to shell out for NIPT this time around. I won't get the serum integrated screening results until like 15-16 weeks or so? But I'll probably share widely sometime between mid-November (13ish weeks) and Thanksgiving.  

• Options
    @ohlindalinda funny story. So I was GOING to wait until after we hit the 12 week mark to tell work. However, my clumsy pregnancy brain ruined that. I was in a group text with work- we were discussing our time-keeping system and trouble shooting the employees who have difficulties using our system. I sent a screen shot of one of our employees text to me explaining her difficulties, but at the bottom of my screenshot were our announcement pictures. :| So, now my entire team knows im pregnant. It was very awkward. they aren't thrilled. 
  • Options
    @ohlindalinda We started telling close relatives after 12 weeks in my first pregnancy and I ended up having tons of anxiety over it. I went through fertility treatments so it was an anxious pregnancy the whole way through. Plus my MIL drove us mad hounding us about wanting to tell her closest 100 friends and how hard it was for her to keep it a secret. My second pregnancy we didn’t tell anyone until after my anatomy scan at 4 ½ months and it felt so much better for me, so I’ll probably do that again. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @brettanomyces do doctors usually do a scan after 12 weeks/NT but before anatomy scan?  To me this feels like a really long wait between scans, but I'm not sure if there's usually something between these biggies or not