January 2020 Moms
Options

Weekly Randoms 9/16-9/22

Re: Weekly Randoms 9/16-9/22

• Options
    @cats_in_a_window I figure I’m more likely to have issues with romaine lettuce and cut up fruit than anything else these days. No one is telling me not to eat a salad so I’ll keep enjoying food I like 🤷🏻‍♀️😆.
  • Options
    My work christmas party invite came out today. last year we went all expenses paid to bilbao in spain for the weekend. This year is malaga in spain. Given I’ll be 2 weeks out from delivery, if the twins havnt already made an appearance by then, I obviously wont be going, which sucks 😭
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @leprechaunlady wow ! That’s sounds like my kind of Christmas party hahah. Ours is just at a restaurant 😜

• Options
    @leprechaunlady i would be disappointed too. We have a potluck lol 😂😂
  • Options
    @c1kc1kpol1cn1k @biolprof this is the first place i've worked that the christmas party was more than dinner and drinks afterwards too!
  • Options
    With temps back near triple digits, I've lost all motivation to do anything. I think I'm going to skip my 5k this weekend. 
  • Options
    @fyreflyerush the fact that you're doing a 5k at all never mind the temperatures im in awe!
  • Options
    @FyreFlyeRush seems reasonable!

Our house is finally being prepped to paint today!!
  • Options
    @marebear15 We are building a new house! We had a private inspection yesterday that didnt find anything major. The county inspection is early next week I think. They have already done all the plumbing and electric, etc. For some reason we are still being quoted January +/- 30 days for closing even though they have been moving pretty quickly since they broke ground. I hope they don't totally slow down once the dry wall is up. 

@FyreFlyeRush  I have been eating soft cheese as long as its pasteurized. Totally had a salad with blue cheese the other week. 
    @kbrown2385 I haven't really changed my diet. I won't do alcohol and I don't eat fish high in mercury. I eat medium rare steak, runny eggs, sushi ( as long as its from a good place). 
  • Options
    @leprechaunlady I am super jealous of your christmas party! We also just have one at a restaurant. 
  • Options
    FyreFlyeRushFyreFlyeRush member
    edited September 2019
    @jaceru, pasteurized soft cheeses are fine, but with Bleu, I was told it's the mold that's the issue. Also, the reason for the diet changes is that YOUR immune system is suppressed making you more susceptible to infection, and having a harder time fighting it off.  Yes, some things can pass through the placenta, but it's mostly about you. 

I still indulge in caffeine, just not a lot. I don't like withdrawal. I wasn't much of a drinker, so that's not an issue for me, but I will still have the occasional glass of wine if I want to...which, I don't. I have fish when I want it...which isn't often. I eat hot dogs, sausage, crispy bacon.

Edit - Clarifying words. 
  • Options
    For me, I'm still eating sandwich meat on occasion. In the first trimester that was what I was craving, it's actually one of my symptoms to know I'm pregnant since it's not something I would normally eat anyway.

Sushi I can't wait for, but I do go for tempura shrimp roll sushi so it's like cheating. I eat soft cheese since it's almost always pasteurized now. I drink decaf coffee maybe every other day/ every 3 days. I tried with caffeine and it really make's me feel awful so I sometimes go for the decaf option and still feel enough of an effect. I am definitely eating runny eggs this go around, also we make our own prosciutto so that for sure
  • Options
    Just was reading the news and heartburn drugs like Zantac have now been found out to have low level's of impurity that could cause cancer. They are thinking of doing a product recall on it, so might be good to avoid for now if you are taking it for heartburn
  • Options
    @c1kc1kpol1cn1k I saw that last night! Of course i
    forgot to ask for other suggestions at my appt today 🤦🏻‍♀️
  • Options
    @jaceru I eat runny eggs all of the time.  I just can't give them up.

Random question for everyone out there:

My DH is a sahd and has been since dd (now 2.5) was born.  This past week I have been coming home to find out that she has spent about an hour watching Ponyo or Kiki's Delivery Service while he does stuff around the house.  He takes care of all cleaning and home stuff so I understand that sometimes it is easier to not have her under foot, but at the same time she is pretty independent and can entertain herself without screens for long stretches of time.  I actually have no issue with media, but we have had previous conversations as a family that if she was watching TV we would do it with her unless there was a very good reason not to.  We are both teachers and have seen the effects of unsupervised screen time.  I grew up in a very conservative house with no TV and so for me this seems like a very reasonable compromise.  We play video games and watch tv with her because we don't want her to turn out as ignorant of the world as I did, but at the same time we want her to be media literate. 

Am I overreacting? Ponyo and Kiki are hardly Pulp fiction (which dh watched as a child).

I have always thought being the sah parent was the hardest job, but at the same time I don't think it would be that much harder to put out some toys for her... I truly appreciate dh and don't want to start a conversation with him about it that turns into an argument. 

Idk ... any advice appreciated.  

• Options
    @ponyoisfun my DH was also a SAHD for a bit and its been my philosophy that the parent who is not present can't be overly critical of minor deviations in parenting styles.  (Clearly major differences like spanking vs no spanking, as an example, would be a no-go).

I'd call this situation a minor deviation from what you discussed (if your DH considers it a deviation at all).  It sounds like you've watched these shows before and know you approve of the content, so I'd say he's already fulfilling the "watch them together" idea in a way.  Plus, turning on shows for an hour to keep kids out of your hair while you get things done really does help and if its keeping him sane, that's a pretty reasonable compromise IMO.

Just my 2 cents, of course!
  • Options
    @cats_in_a_window, this exactly. I was a SAHM for 18mos with DS1. I limited TV, but didn't eliminate it entirely. Strawberry Shortcake Berry Bitty Adventures saved my sanity and kept.him distracted while I was able to do laundry, clean, etc.

The Nerdy Girl in me says introducing your LO to Studio Ghibli is an awesome idea. Such great movies!!! Stay away fro Grave of the Fireflies. 
  • Options
    ponyoisfun said: @FyreFlyeRush We showed Grave of the Fireflies to my dh's little brother when he was young and he will never forgive us. lol.  We just thought there was no way it could be THAT depressing.  12 years later he still brings it up.

I haven't seen it. The synopsis alone had me sniffling and tearing up. That it's inspired by the writer's re-life experiences in post WWII Japan and the subsequent death of his little sister makes it even more heartbreaking. (The story never shies from what happens to the characters, even in the synopsis.) 
  • Options
    Does anyone have any idea's on a good house warming gift. We've been invited to some friends house on Sunday, they've recently moved out of a condo to their new house. My usual dinner gift is flower+wine, but it being a new house not sure if maybe some sort of item + wine would be better?
  • Options
    @c1kc1kpol1cn1k I love fresh flowers so I would go with that or if its someone Im close to that I would spend more on I’d go for a jo malone reed diffuser or candle. But with those, some of the scents can be a very personal thing.
  • Options
    @c1kc1kpol1cn1k, I usually bring some kind of warmer and several different wax melts, varying from warm to clean to fruity scents. Also, a green plant. Something hardy and not easy to kill...rosemary in a pot is always good. 

• Options
    Dh has a cousin who is also pregnant with twins & due 2 days after me. He was talking to his mum yesterday & now the wife of another of his cousins on that side is also pregnant with twins, due a few months after us!
  • Options
    @leprechaunlady I swear since I've been pregnant I've heard of 3 others at my job who have twins and all of the sudden people are coming out of the woodwork being like "oh yea I'm a twin! twin life is the best!" 

I was like HUH WHO KNEW. I have cousins who are twins (via IVF) but other than that- I didn't have many other twin references in my life! 
  • Options
    @c1kc1kpol1cn1k my vote is for a house plant. Those spruce up the place and everyone could use another plant! But I like the reed diffuser idea too. I love them but almost never buy them for myself!
  • Options
    @leprechaunlady @FyreFlyeRush thank you for the idea's! Also good call on the more hardy plant. I'll have a look this weekend :) 
  • Options
    @c1kc1kpol1cn1k peace lilies are hard to kill and don't need lots of upkeep. So are aloe or christmas cacti!
  • Options
    @c1kc1kpol1cn1k I always bring food for housewarmings, but maybe that is a cultural thing here in the southwest.  
    I also second the hardy plant idea.  I have yet to kill a Christmas cactus. 

• Options
    @c1kc1kpol1cn1k food or hardy plant is a good idea. Scents/fragrances are something that you really need to know the person well to get a good fit. But something like good chocolate would be great
  • Options
    FyreFlyeRushFyreFlyeRush member
    edited September 2019
    My SO snags a couple of the TV "condoms" every time we visit my MFM. He's so juvenile sometimes. Currently, my 7yo is playing with them in the bath. There are no words. 

90 degrees out, but I went on my 5k anyway. It wasnt as much fun as the other glow runs I've been on, but I'm still glad I went. There was a nice breeze, and the humidy was low, and since it was at night, no sun to cook us!

Now, to wash off all this glow liquid and glow stick guts. And then....SLEEP!!

EDIT: There was so much chaos at the finish, that we ended up with an extra meda. I'm going to give it to DD when she comes home, and then she'll have the pair: Black Light Run and Foam Glow Run

• Options
    @FyreFlyeRush I'm in awe that you were able to do the 5k especially in 90 degree heat. I already feel like I can't breathe just when I'm walking normally. This does not bode well. Also so funny about the TV "condoms"!!!!!
  • Options
    @biolprof That is super pretty.  I wish I was that talented.  

• Options
    @biolprof that's gorgeous!  Love the clouds on the variegated blue/green background!  I hope you're able to finish yours before your LO arrives.
  • Options
    @biolprof so pretty!! 😍
  • Options
    @biolprof that blanket is beautiful!
  • Options
    @ponyoisfun I'm always surprised when the projects turn out well. It's a bit of a guess sometimes. I'm off the opinion that anyone can knit, it just takes time and patience! It's fun to challenge myself and try new things. It's especially nice then to give them away. Although I do grow attached sometimes 😉
  • Options
    While MIL was finishing up the trim painting in the nursery, I thought I'd be productive and build the crib. I built it in the big den right outside the nursery only to realize that once built, it's too wide to fit through the doorway of the room 😫 rookie mistake. Now I have to disassemble the whole thing and rebuild it inside the room once all the paint is dry 😰😭😭😭😭
  • Options
    @peppyj9 I’m trying not to laugh but that’s funny 😆. What paint color did you end up going with?