May 2020 Moms
Options

Appointments | September

Re: Appointments | September

• Options
    @catem07 when I was ttgp forever ago we used to say, a line is a line. Doesn’t matter how dark or light. I’ve heard other ladies having the same thing happen too, whether it’s diluted urine or the test is a little messed up, I don’t know. But I’m happy it is going well for you!
  • Options
    I have my second appointment on monday and guys I'm so nervous! I'm excited and anxious. They didnt give me an estimated time frame last time so I'm not exactly sure how far along I'm going to be. I'm thinking somewhere between the 5 1/2-6 week mark. I just want to hear a good heartbeat so bad and know baby is okay.. anything help with all the anxiety though? 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @minab700 Just a note that 5.5-6 weeks is pretty early for a HB so don't get too worried if they don't find one on Monday. 
    DD #1: April 2017
    DD #2: May 2020
    Baby #3: EDD May 2023; MC October 2022

• Options
    @minab700 Is it an ultrasound appointment?  5.5-6 weeks will be too early to hear a heartbeat, and possibly too early to detect on ultrasound.  You won't "hear" a heartbeat on doppler for several more weeks, generally.
    **TW**
    Me: 35 | H: 40
    Married Sept. 2013
    DS1: Nov 11, 2016 <3
    MMC: 11/16/18 (9w6d)
    CP: 2/3/19 (5w3d)
    BFP!  8/24/19
    DS2: May 10, 2020 <3

• Options
    @minab700 What the others have said that you may not see one yet. With DD I had an early ultrasound at 6 weeks+1, I measured 5 weeks+5 and they were not able to confirm heartbeat just yet. 2 weeks later it was there and she is now turning 3 soon! It caused a lot of added anxiety though.
    TTC#1 July 2015 
    • BFP: 9/16/15 — MC: 11/8/15 Blighted Ovum
    • BFP: 3/10/16 — Baby Girl born 11/20/16
    TTC#2 April 2019 
    • BFP: 9/12/19 — EDD 5/15/20

• Options
    edited September 2019
    So today was supposed to be my first appointment and I got to the office and was told unfortunately the doctor has been called to the hospital for surgery and we will have to reschedule. I was not expecting to be so emotional about not having an appointment but just started crying I felt crazy. I did rebook my appointment for the 25th as that is my next day off and they sent me to go get blood work and based on that will send me for my first ultrasound. This is my first pregnancy and I have so many questions I just don't want to do anything wrong. Theses emotions are very overwhelming and my DH is currently at the airport headed to the other side of the world  so for 3 weeks. Sorry I guess I just needed a place to vent. I'm just so emotional!!! 
  • Options
    Thank you ladies for the info. My last ultrasound they weren't able to see a fetal pole or heartbeat but they could see a yolk and gestational sac. I'm just hoping for more good news and less anxiety. The first trimester is so nerve wracking 
  • Options
    @furbabiestofirstbaby I've been so emotional too crying all the time! I lift a lot in my job so I told my boss last week that we found out we're pregnant and I bawled like a baby! It was so embarrassing lol 
  • Options
    @furbabiestofirstbaby omg you poor thing! Don't worry about it though, I guarantee you're not the first person to cry over something like that in their office.
  • Options
    lizm1234lizm1234 member
    edited September 2019
    My appointment today was so not helpful.  They basically took my blood and said they would call me.   Since I'm a new patient, I'll be assigned a dr on Monday. :neutral:

furbabiestofirstbaby I'm so sorry.  That sounds so frustrating.  Especially since you can't take off of work.  
  • Options
    @furbabiestofirstbaby I have cried more times at my doctor's office than I care to admit.
  • Options
    @furbabiestofirstbaby that switch better have just happened. Why didn’t they call you before you got there? Major side eye to then unless it happened in the five minutes before you arrived. 
  • Options
    I went to my GP last week(just because it’s my first pregnancy and I don’t know what’s happening). I was expecting BW to confirm and check levels and he didn’t do it. He said because I got three positive HPT and missed my period there’s no point. I’m 33yr and low risk. So I mean that’s a positive, but it all still doesn’t feel real (besides the symptoms lol). BW would have made it a bit more tangible. We are using a midwife and our first appointment is Sept. 25. Excited, but not really sure what to expect.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone for all the love and making me feel like I'm normal and not crazy from being upset.!!!! I really appreciate it!
  • Options
    @smashley09 With DD I had a similar experience. I went to my GP because I had no idea what to do next. They did a urine test, confirmed what my hpt had shown and recommended OBs to continue care. My first OB appointment they didn't test anything, talked to me about vitamins and sent me on my way with a script to get blood drawn for the full bloodwork a few weeks later. I use a practice that has several midwives and I liked the experience. 
  • Options
    I just found out through the electronic medical chart system that they scheduled my first appointment three weeks from now.  I will be 10 weeks 5 days pregnant.  Is it me, or is that late?  Meanwhile, they haven't even called me and told me any test results.  Nothing is coming up in the system.  I honestly don't know what to do.  I been trying not to cry.  Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.  Feel free to tell me this is a FTM freak-out if I'm being silly.  
  • Options
    @lizm1234 If you're low risk, that's not really that late. The only reason it would matter is if you wanted to do NIPT, you'd need to have it done right after your appointment (btwn 10-11 weeks) and your NT scan will be a week and a half later. You probably won't be doing the NIPT if you're under 35, unless you're at higher risk for a genetic defect. With DD, I refused to go in before 9 weeks because early US's stress me out and there's nothing your doctor can really do for you in early pregnancy (assuming you don't have any preexisting medical issues that need to be managed). What test results are you waiting for? Have you already done your blood work?
  • Options
    ruby696 said:
    @lizm1234 If you're low risk, that's not really that late. The only reason it would matter is if you wanted to do NIPT, you'd need to have it done right after your appointment (btwn 10-11 weeks) and your NT scan will be a week and a half later. You probably won't be doing the NIPT if you're under 35, unless you're at higher risk for a genetic defect. With DD, I refused to go in before 9 weeks because early US's stress me out and there's nothing your doctor can really do for you in early pregnancy (assuming you don't have any preexisting medical issues that need to be managed). What test results are you waiting for? Have you already done your blood work?
    I'm 37 years old, so I think I need genetic testing.  When they took blood last week, I saw on the paper they were checking my hcg levels.  
  • Options
    @lizm1234 I don't think it's late.  The only reason I am seeing a doctor sooner is due to high risk and a recent loss, otherwise my first appointment would not be until 10 weeks.  As it stands, my first real appointment is at 10 weeks and we will do all the same stuff any other FTM would do at 10 weeks, we are just doing some extra tests and stuff ahead of time.
  • Options
    Also, @lizm1234 in my experience doctor's offices can be bad about calling with lab results if everything is good and normal.  They are always quick to call if something is abnormal or you need another test or medication, but when things are within normal range they seem to leave you hanging (but we still want to know everything is ok!).
  • Options
    @lizm1234 I'm 38, so hopefully I have some helpful information for you. Since you're over 35, NIPT should be offered to you. Ask if it's not. Your initial bloodwork is routine and you probably won't get a call unless there is a problem. Your insurance should cover the NIPT test (it's a blood test) and you'll take it between 10 and 11 weeks. You can literally go from your appointment to a lab, so that should be manageable. You'll also have a nuchal translucency ultrasound with bloodwork at around 12 weeks, which also looks for abnormalities. 

You can always call your doctor ahead of time and let a nurse know your age and your desire to take the NIPT (assuming you want to). If you point out when your appt is scheduled, they may agree to move it up. Overall, I think you're right on track. 
  • Options
    sooooo at my appointment yesterday my husband asked the doctor when we can find out the sex...  I don't want to know until birth, but clearly my husband wants to know ASAP  :s
  • Options
    @lizm1234 10 weeks is completely normal for a first OB appointment. My office does their first appointments at 10 weeks. Last pregnancy my first OB appointment was at 12 weeks.
    TTC#1 July 2015 
    TTC#2 April 2019 

• Options
    Thank you, ladies. I'm in tears because I'm so touched by your kind words and reassurances.   My app (not the bump) keeps saying I should be having appointments and tests at 8 weeks.  I think it started messing with my head.  FTM jitters I guess.  
  • Options
    My doctor said she doesn't do the NT scan now. They do the serum integrated screening. I had the NT with my daughter three years ago so this is new to me...

• Options
    So I wasn't sure which thread to post in. I don't quite feel like I belong in PGAL so here is the next best thing.

I messaged the PA that I am seeing next week (6/7 weeks) to ask if I will be getting an ultrasound. The nurse called me back and as I expected my practice it is standard to just do the 20 week u/s unless there is reason for an early one, which I am fine with. She asked me some more questions about pregnancy/live births. My first pregnancy was a BO/MMC and my second was a successful live birth. She said because I have had a loss previously that I can go in for an ultrasound before 20 weeks and she was ready to schedule one for me. I declined in the moment to talk it over with MH. So my question is should I schedule an u/s? I've already met my deductible so the cost will not be an issue. I guess I'm struggling because currently I have no real reason to have an u/s except wanting one with maybe a little anxiety from lack of symptoms and I'll feel guilty if I do schedule one. Like I don't deserve it and shouldn't be wasting their time.
    TTC#1 July 2015 
    TTC#2 April 2019 

• Options
    @m6agua if you want/need the ultrasound for peace of mind, and the cost is not an issue, then go for the ultrasound.  It is your body and your pregnancy.  I’m not sure what country you are in, but waiting until the second trimester seems a bit late for a first ultrasound in my opinion.  Many doctors in the US do the first ultrasound at 8 or 10 weeks.  Perhaps this would be a good time for yours.  I am by no means trying to cause worry or to say go against advice of your doctor, but just saying it is your right and your treatment.  My doctor would scan me every week if I insisted, but I too am trying to follow doctor’s protocol and go a bit less often!
  • Options
    @m6agua I see nothing wrong with having an US before 20 weeks, if it gives you some peace. I say go for it!
  • Options
    @m6agua first of all, you are welcome to post in PGAL. Any loss is hard, the anxiety from having one doesn’t go away even if you’ve had a successful rainbow baby. 
    Secondly, clearly the nurse doesn’t think it’s wasting their time. Ultrasounds can be useful for a lot of things. My doctor likes to do a dating ultrasound because he considers them more accurate than going off of LMP. Would an ultrasound make you feel more comfortable? Relieve some anxiety? Then no one’s time is being wasted.
  • Options
    @m6agua I agree with everyone else. You aren't wasting anyone's time and I think it's perfectly appropriate if you would like it and it would be worth the peace of mind for you. 
  • Options
    m6aguam6agua member
    edited September 2019
    Thanks everyone. <3 I think at my appointment with the PA on Tuesday I will schedule an u/s. My first OB visit is at 9/10 weeks (Oct 14), so maybe I can get it scheduled for that appointment or before.

@pirateduck I am in the US. With my first pregnancy the fact they don't do u/s until 20 weeks is part of the reason why I didn't find out about my BO/MMC until 10 weeks when I had spotting. I had 2 early ones with my second pregnancy because of spotting and anxiety.
    TTC#1 July 2015 
    TTC#2 April 2019 

• Options
    @m6agua I will say that after my first scan my blood pressure was the lowest it's been in ages and I slept the best I had in ages.  Lowering the stress of the mama is certainly good for the baby, so if it will relieve stress it is definitely worth it.
  • Options
    Forget about worrying about anyone else's time. Your insurance company is paying them for it! Just decide if you and YH want one. Personally, I love ultrasounds and don't turn them down when offered. 

• Options
    @m6agua my OB does a standard u/s at like 8-10 weeks and then the anatomy scan. I love the first one for making it feel real, seeing the heartbeat, and letting DH see/feel more connected aside from dealing with the symptoms. I say go for it!!
  • Options
    I had my initial bloodwork done a week ago today.  My HCG levels were in the 500s which were in range for the gestational age.  I go for my first sonogram on September 30th followed by a doctor appointment to review my bloodwork.  Although this is my third I am SO nervous!
  • Options
    Hi all! 
    I had blood work done Tuesday this week (normal range, they didn’t tell me numbers) and  I have another draw this coming Tuesday (5w), Nurse visit at ~6w4d and then first/dating U/S ~7w4d. This is the longest I have gone before seeing my OB with any of my pregnancies. With my DD I had blood work at 4w 48 hrs apart and also saw the OB at 5,6,7,8 weeks.

TW*********
    i had 2 late back to back first trimester MMC prior to DD and then a CP this year in Dec. So, I am interested to hear how they decide the cadence and timeframe of US/blood work. My history has not changed, except for my chemical.... 
    Interested if anyone has any insight on this********

I am not wishing it was different, just curious. I agree with others above, going in so many times early on creates a lot of stress/anxiety!
    ******TW******Siggy warning
    BFP1 04/24/2015 EDD Dec 2015 MMC 10W5d;
    BFP 2 09/25/2015 EDD June 2016 MMC 9wks; 
    BFP 3 03/22/2016 EDD Dec 6th 2016 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    @queenklau did you change doctors? Health history changed? I don’t go in until 9 weeks, and then I know everything is based 4 weeks after each appointment. My first could have been anywhere from 7-10 weeks, which offsets everything else, but I had to wait for an appointment after 3 pm.
  • Options
    Linsbins said:
    @queenklau did you change doctors? Health history changed? I don’t go in until 9 weeks, and then I know everything is based 4 weeks after each appointment. My first could have been anywhere from 7-10 weeks, which offsets everything else, but I had to wait for an appointment after 3 pm.
    @Linsbins, no same doc. I am still under 35. So pretty much the same. I guess the main difference is I had DD.
    ******TW******Siggy warning
    BFP1 04/24/2015 EDD Dec 2015 MMC 10W5d;
    BFP 2 09/25/2015 EDD June 2016 MMC 9wks; 
    BFP 3 03/22/2016 EDD Dec 6th 2016 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker