2»

Re: Epidural

• @sailing_mama great idea, I’m definitely going to check out the library
  • KFrobKFrob
    Long-Lasting Membership 1000 Comments 500 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited September 6
    ugh, duplicate post, the app hates me
  • Loading the player...
  • @babybrie2 Yay! Also a first pregnancy from Toronto! My plan is to go to the birthing centre, mainly because they're equipped with lots of alternative pain relief options other than the epidural. I hate the idea of being stuck laying down to deliver, and when I'm in physical pain I like to be able to move around. I also hate needles, so the idea of one going into my spine is very scary, even if people get them all the time. That said, I have zero clue what my pain tolerance will be so the plan is to start there and see what happens. My pal says that by the time you're asking for an epidural you don't care how big that needle is!
    mercury94
  • @korthouse just don't make the mistake I did and watch a video on YouTube showing how an epidural is done.
    Married November 19, 2010
    BFP April 18, 2014 (EDD December 2014) - MMC
    BFP #2 January 2015 - NMC
    BFP #3 October 2017 - F born June 13, 2018
    BFP #4 July 2019 - NMC
    BFP #5 August 2019 - EDD April 2020

korthouse
  • KFrobKFrob
    Long-Lasting Membership 1000 Comments 500 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited September 12
    @korthouse I agree with your friend!   As a recovered needle fearer in the middle of labor when you want relief that fear flies out the window!  

Edit I'm terrible with grammar
    korthouse
  • @korthouse Yeah. I hate needles. Didn’t even care one bit that the epidural was a huge needle. Just needed it. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Me 33 DH 33 TTC since Jan 2019 PCOS

DS1 born September 2017
    korthouse
  • In our hospital they make your partner leave the room. Which is totally at odds with what I've seen on TV and in movies. So be prepared to maybe get it done without your partner to hold you.
  • @babybison That is so weird. They made my mom leave the room, but not my husband. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Me 33 DH 33 TTC since Jan 2019 PCOS

DS1 born September 2017
  • My DH had to leave bc he would have passed out! Honestly the nurse kept me way calmer than DH could have since she knew exactly what to say, do, and how to help me through it.  
  • I got my spinal before MH was allowed to enter the room. And then he was kept out until I stopped vomiting (my BP bottomed out quickly). He wasn't happy about it but I was glad. I could see him pacing behind the glass and I know he would have been freaking out.
    Married November 19, 2010
    BFP April 18, 2014 (EDD December 2014) - MMC
    BFP #2 January 2015 - NMC
    BFP #3 October 2017 - F born June 13, 2018
    BFP #4 July 2019 - NMC
    BFP #5 August 2019 - EDD April 2020

KFrob
  • @babybison MH didn’t have to leave during my epidurals, maybe it’s hospital dependent? 

Diagnosed PCOS 2013
    TTC since 6/14
    SA normal.

Clomid cycle #1 - 6/14 = BFN
    Femara cycle #2 - 7/14 = BFN
    Femara cycle #3 - 8/14 = BFN
    Natural Cycle #4 - 9/14 = BFN
    Blood work 9/2014: HgA1C & AMH test. Blood work showed that I am not insulin resistant (wahoo!) but AMH levels were slightly high.
    Natural Cycle 10/14 = BFN
    CD2 Ultrasound & Blood work 10/2014: Ultrasound showed that my uterus and ovaries were of normal size and shape. Ovaries had a number of tiny follicles present.
    RE Appointment for Femvue Ultrasound 10/9/2014: Hurt like a b!tch but tubes are open! I had one good looking follicle to ovulate in the next week or so.
    Femara + Ovidrel 11/14 =BFN
    Femara + Ovidrel + IUI 12/14 = BFP!!! EDD September 5, 2015

• My husband was getting himself some supper when I got the epidural with my first. We had been at the hospital for 24 hours at that point and all his snacks had run out. I leaned on the nurse and tried to stop shaking as they put it in and I didnt even feel the needle the contractions hurt so bad.
    With my second my husband was in the room but couldn't watch or hold me because needles make him woozy. He couldn't even watch me get the Iv in.
    The epidural with my first worked perfectly, after it took effect I felt nothing which was a major relief! The epidural with my second only worked on the right side but let me relax enough that I was fully dilated and pushed my son out within an hour of getting it.
  • I had an epidural and it was the best! I was induced at 41 weeks and after 18 hours of labor I was 1cm dilated. I got the epidural, fell asleep, woke up fully dilated and ready to push. Overall it was 26 hours from water breaking to my little guy being born. 
  • And yes, I also had a doula. My husband and I both think it was the best money we've ever spent. She was so incredible. 
  • And yes, I also had a doula. My husband and I both think it was the best money we've ever spent. She was so incredible. 
  • @mflowers929 Haha! I would probably be very ill if I did. I always look away in movies if there's a shot of someone getting an injection or I.V. I can watch surgery videos no problem, but as soon as there's a needle I'm out.
    mflowers929
  • They didn’t make my husband leave the room when i got mine, they’d actually encouraged him to be there in front of me to help me through contractions 
    Me: 33 DH: 33
    Married: June 2016
    TTC: Oct 2016
    Dx: PCOS
    Nov. 2017: 2.5 mg Letrozole + TI = BFN
    Dec. 2017: 2.5 mg Letrozole + TI = BFP Jan.25, EDD Oct. 10

• See these are all the experiences they show on TV. I wonder why my hospital is different?