Epidural

2»

Re: Epidural

• @sailing_mama great idea, I’m definitely going to check out the library
  • KFrobKFrob member
    edited September 2019
    ugh, duplicate post, the app hates me
  • Loading the player...
  • @babybrie2 Yay! Also a first pregnancy from Toronto! My plan is to go to the birthing centre, mainly because they're equipped with lots of alternative pain relief options other than the epidural. I hate the idea of being stuck laying down to deliver, and when I'm in physical pain I like to be able to move around. I also hate needles, so the idea of one going into my spine is very scary, even if people get them all the time. That said, I have zero clue what my pain tolerance will be so the plan is to start there and see what happens. My pal says that by the time you're asking for an epidural you don't care how big that needle is!
  • @korthouse just don't make the mistake I did and watch a video on YouTube showing how an epidural is done.
    Momma to 3 angels and two amazing children
    F born June 2018
    W born September 2020
    #3 due November 2022
  • KFrobKFrob member
    edited September 2019
    @korthouse I agree with your friend!   As a recovered needle fearer in the middle of labor when you want relief that fear flies out the window!  

Edit I'm terrible with grammar
  • @korthouse Yeah. I hate needles. Didn’t even care one bit that the epidural was a huge needle. Just needed it. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Me 34 DH 34 
    PCOS

DS1 born September 2017
    Baby number 2 due 4/11/20
  • In our hospital they make your partner leave the room. Which is totally at odds with what I've seen on TV and in movies. So be prepared to maybe get it done without your partner to hold you.
  • @babybison That is so weird. They made my mom leave the room, but not my husband. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Me 34 DH 34 
    PCOS

DS1 born September 2017
    Baby number 2 due 4/11/20
  • My DH had to leave bc he would have passed out! Honestly the nurse kept me way calmer than DH could have since she knew exactly what to say, do, and how to help me through it.  
  • I got my spinal before MH was allowed to enter the room. And then he was kept out until I stopped vomiting (my BP bottomed out quickly). He wasn't happy about it but I was glad. I could see him pacing behind the glass and I know he would have been freaking out.
    Momma to 3 angels and two amazing children
    F born June 2018
    W born September 2020
    #3 due November 2022
  • @babybison MH didn’t have to leave during my epidurals, maybe it’s hospital dependent? 

Diagnosed PCOS 2013
    7th Round of Fertility treatment (Femara + Ovidrel + IUI) 12/14 = BFP. DS born Sept.15 
    Natural BFP Feb 2017. DD born Oct. 2017
    Natural BFP Aug. 2019, EDD April 2020

• My husband was getting himself some supper when I got the epidural with my first. We had been at the hospital for 24 hours at that point and all his snacks had run out. I leaned on the nurse and tried to stop shaking as they put it in and I didnt even feel the needle the contractions hurt so bad.
    With my second my husband was in the room but couldn't watch or hold me because needles make him woozy. He couldn't even watch me get the Iv in.
    The epidural with my first worked perfectly, after it took effect I felt nothing which was a major relief! The epidural with my second only worked on the right side but let me relax enough that I was fully dilated and pushed my son out within an hour of getting it.
  • I had an epidural and it was the best! I was induced at 41 weeks and after 18 hours of labor I was 1cm dilated. I got the epidural, fell asleep, woke up fully dilated and ready to push. Overall it was 26 hours from water breaking to my little guy being born. 
  • And yes, I also had a doula. My husband and I both think it was the best money we've ever spent. She was so incredible. 
  • And yes, I also had a doula. My husband and I both think it was the best money we've ever spent. She was so incredible. 
  • @mflowers929 Haha! I would probably be very ill if I did. I always look away in movies if there's a shot of someone getting an injection or I.V. I can watch surgery videos no problem, but as soon as there's a needle I'm out.
  • They didn’t make my husband leave the room when i got mine, they’d actually encouraged him to be there in front of me to help me through contractions 
  • See these are all the experiences they show on TV. I wonder why my hospital is different?