February 2020 Moms
Options

Product Spotlight: Car Seats & Strollers

Each week we'll spotlight a new category of product. This week we're talking Car Seats & Strollers!
Because many car seats and strollers come together as a Travel System, it seemed logical to include both of these products in one thread.

Car Seats
  • Infant car seat or convertible car seat?
  • What factors made you decide to use an infant seat or not?
  • What do you like about it?
  • What do you dislike about it, if anything?
  • Any weight or size restrictions (premies?)
  • Does the car seat connect to a stroller?
  • Additional thoughts?
Strollers
  • Lifestyle factors that might influence your choice (Live in the city?  Putting stroller in/out of car?  Jog?)
  • Favorite stroller?
  • What do you like about it?
  • What do you dislike about it, if anything?
  • Do you own more than one stroller for different purposes?
  • Does your infant car seat connect to the stroller?
  • Additional thoughts?

Re: Product Spotlight: Car Seats & Strollers

• Options
    Car Seat
    We have the Graco SnugRide 35 for an infant seat.  It was great for DD and I loved that it easily connected to Graco strollers without any additional attachments.  DD stayed in it until almost a year old when we moved her to a convertible seat.

Stroller
    I have 3.  We started with the Graco Modes 3 Lite because it was part of the car seat/stroller travel system.  As  FTM I was so overwhelmed and didn't even know where to start.  This stroller is heavy to lift in and out of the car and is pretty big.  It's also not a smooth ride if you plan to do any length of walking.  After a few months I gave up on this one.

I bought a Graco jogging stroller (Fast Action Fold maybe?). I bought another Graco so the infant car seat would easily connect to it.  You can not jog with a baby until 6 months I believe but I used this for taking long walks.  I put her in the car seat and clicked it into the stroller.  It was great.  It is a heavy stroller so you wouldn't want to put it in the car often and for actual jogging it would be pretty heavy.  It worked great for what we needed though.

I also bought a Graco umbrella stroller (Breaze Stroller).  This was the one I ended up keeping in my car for trips into stores or doctor's appts and such.  The car seat also easily connects to this so it was great.  It's light weight and folds very easily.  We have brought it with us several times through airports too.  It's also not great for long walks but it's good for in and out of the car and we take it to the zoo with us and such.

Advice
    My biggest advice to FTM is don't get stuck on ordering a Travel System.  I wish we never got the original stroller that came with our travel system.  I was so overwhelmed with choices though I just wanted to pick something.  If you choose a Graco Click Connect car seat there are so many Graco strollers that work with it.  Also, many strollers sell adapters for different car seats.  Find a stroller you can easily get in and out of the car if that is something you will be doing.
  • Options
    @jvk2012 We are looking at Gracos, so this is good to know. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I also have a Graco Snugride 35 as our infant seat. It’s nice because I have small babies and the infant insert helped keep their heads up. We were gifted the Graco Snugride 30 and hated it so much that I bought the 35.  Once it was time to transition to a convertible we opted for the Graco 4ever All in one. It’s amazing. It’s not even a pain to install. 

I honestly can’t remember the names of the strollers I own. I have a single and a double, both Gracos, both the cheapest I could find. Haha. The single stroller is junk. The double stroller is great. 
  • Options
    We have always used the Chicco KeyFit 30 infant seats. They have worked fine for us. 

When I was pregnant with my first son, we splurged and bought a Bugaboo stroller. Worth every penny! It has a connector for the infant seat if you want to click then in, and comes with an infant bassinet and big kid seat when they are ready. It’s now on its third kid and going strong. It looks nice, you can literally turn it with one finger (great when you have multiple kids), and it goes indoor or outdoor. We have brought it to the mall, soccer games, etc. and it does fine everywhere. Also, when you have more than one kid, it comes with a bike seat that attaches to the back for the big kid to sit on. Best stroller ever and worth the money. 
  • Options
    We bought a Chicco keyfit 30 travel system with our first and loved it for him and my second but got a Graco double(can't remember the exact one) when she was older to cat both kids. I still use the double after our third was born but gave my mom the Chicco for when she babysits.A simple umbrella stroller is great for in the car for 6 months up. 
    I loved the travel system for my first but it was harder with multiple kids in tow.
  • Options
    @therealbitts we're looking for a double/multiple kids stroller now... What type of bugaboo do you have or would you recommend looking at?
  • Options
    I used a Chicco Keyfit 30 as our infant seat for both my kids. Yes, yes, yes to using an infant seat. So convenient to pop it in the base in our cars. For convertible seats I have Diono Rainiers for both kids. HIGHLY recommend them. Extremely well rated with high upper limits on height and weight which is great if you have bigger kids. (Both my boys are crazy tall.) 

Stroller we have a Baby Jogger City Mini. I’ve been pleased with it. Priced mid range, plenty of accessories to choose from, easy to use. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    @mcbe4990 we have the cameleon. I think we might upgrade to the donkey when this baby comes because my youngest will be 19 months.
  • Options
    For twin strollers - help. Double wide or double deep? Will the infant seats still snap into them?
  • Options
    @Swiftlet, no personal experience but my friend with twins went double deep. It’s hard to get through doors double wide. And she had car seats that snapped into the stroller. 
  • Options
    @jvk2012 that's what I was thinking, haha! Do you know if there's a particular brand she got? Obviously I will do my own research too but if there's one she preferred I'm all ears :)
  • Options
    @swiftlet, I’ll ask her!
  • Options
    @Swiftlet My double is a double deep Graco click connect. I LOVE it.
  • Options
    @doodleoodle will look into that one, thank you! :)
  • Options
    alseltzeralseltzer member
    edited August 2019
    @Swiftlet As of now I'm registered for one of the graco click connect double deep strollers and matching click connect infant carseats on Amazon. I'm definitely for double deep because my sister had a double wide and that thing was a beast. 
    Surprisingly more affordable than I was expecting to find. Here's links if you're interested 😊

Carseat-- 
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07N3CJF41/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_5HXyDb0FH3412

Stroller--
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GHVJHMW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_CJXyDbRJTGG7S

Edit: just realized might need to register for different carseats. That one seems to have been discontinued or something. Only used buying option left, but something like that one.
  • Options
    @Swiftlet, This is what my friend said:

Joovy Twin Roo+ Car Seat Stroller https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00M733I02/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_YxWyDb1BTCWT0

The joovy one that you just set them in was so useful, not practical for like long walks but SO easy and great for quick trips. As they grew up I liked side by sides better but people have different opinions on that. The graco was big for trunk of regular car but fine in suv, very solid and sturdy. The joovy was all about simplicity and the basket under is huge and was so useful
  • Options
    Infant seat: Chicco Keyfit 30 used it for DD and we liked it, no issues. Get multiple bases if you have multiple cars. Great to click in and out and keep babes snuggled. 

Stroller: we got the Chicco Bravo travel system with DD, it wasn’t much more that the seat itself. I always said I would upgrade by DD hates being in the stroller. 

With that being said, I’d like to look into a new stroller with the ability to have a sit stand for DD and a spot for the new babe (and ideally I can clip the infant seat in)
  • Options
    Infant Seat: We have two Graco infant seats - the Snugride 35 Click Connect the one that came with the stroller below as a backup. The extra seat was a little more than buying an extra base on its own but we liked the idea of having an extra seat for some reason. We only used the extra one a few times BUT the upgraded seat from what comes with the stroller was well worth it. It seemed cozier and was easier to click in. 

Stroller: We got the Graco modes click connect in Gotham. We still use the stroller regularly and have taken it all over the world and it is holding up well. We used the infant seat that came with it as a backup. The stroller tilts back and is easy to fold away and put in the trunk. The only issue is that sometimes it is hard to open because of the safety catch. 

https://www.buybuybaby.com/store/product/graco-reg-modes-trade-click-connect-trade-travel-system-in-downton/5182646?skuId=65160923&&mrkgcl=611&mrkgadid=3341382442&mcid=PS_googlepla_nonbrand_strollers_local&product_id=65160923&product_channel=local&adtype=pla&enginename=google&adpos=1o4&creative=352763047148&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=Cj0KCQjwho7rBRDxARIsAJ5nhFq_Kktp3v5aT_4I1jWF-PoPbvKft7nqlCl9qQt5hADwAq8RlezISlMaAhF0EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Convertible
    We have two convertible car seats, one for each car. In my husband's car we have the Graco 4Ever. This is a superior car seat to the other. It is super easy to adjust and strap the kid in. I like how you basically never have to buy another car seat again. In my car we have the Graco Extend2Fit. This will last a long time too but does not have the booster option when they are older. It is a great deal harder to pull the straps to get them tight enough but it works fine and is also easy enough to adjust. I like how both support extended rear facing which is very important. My daughter is almost 3 and still not the 30# required to flip the seat to forward facing under CT law but the thought right now is to keep her rear facing until 4.

Double Stroller - I'm looking at the Graco RoomFor2 which allows the older kid to sit or stand in the back, but open to other options that work with our click connect infant seats. Also considering getting a bob double jogging stroller and not worrying about a double stroller that works with infant seats for the short time that we will use them. I'm noticing a lot of what other parents have and what seems to work so still deep in the thought process for this :)
    Me: 38, DH: 36 
    Married Jan 2008 
    DD Baby Bells born Dec 2016 5 lbs, 12 oz, 18" <3 so in love <3
    Due with #2 Baby Arya EDD February 2020

• Options
    I have the Chico key fit car seat and it’s fine. 
    I absolutely LOVE my single and double stroller!  I have the baby jogger city mini single from 2016. It is light weight, easy to maneuver, I can hold a kid and close with one hand. It also has an attachment for the key fit car seat. I don’t jog so I saved a bit of money and got the two small wheels in the front and it’s been awesome with both kids. 
    I love my double as well. I went back and forth for awhile if I wanted side by side or next to each other. I decided on the side by side. The boys love sitting next to each other, it’s heavy bc it’s a double but I can easily open/close and get it in my car. I have a crV and it fits fine. Biggest complaint is it doesn’t have an attachment for the key fit but I baby wore when #2 was little and pushed the big kid in the single until DS2 could recline enough in the double. i highly recommend both strollers. 
    Baby Jogger City Mini 2 Stroller - 2019 | Compact, Lightweight Stroller | Quick Fold Baby Stroller, Jet https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07NXW16XJ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_wM9yDb7HPJBK5
    Baby Jogger City Mini GT Double Stroller - 2016 | Baby Stroller with All-Terrain Tires | Quick Fold Lightweight Double Stroller https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019W8WBPC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_1S9yDbERC8BDA
  • Options
    kiwi2628kiwi2628 member
    edited August 2019
    My best advice is if you are between a stroller you love but the carseat needs an adapter to use with it, or you can get a stroller that fits with the carseat easily- go with the stroller you love. A lot of babies only stay in the bucket seats for 4-6 months, and you will use the stroller much longer than that. Mine stopped using the bucket carseat at 5 months because he HATED it. I was so glad I went with the stroller I loved even though our carseat needed adapters to click into it.

For carseats we picked the Nuna Pipa because it is the second lightest carseat on the market, and when you bay gets bigger, its HEAVY to lug that around with a baby in it. For the convertable carseat we went with the nuna rava- its actually safe for babies 8 lbs and over, so we used it as the primary carseat in my husbands car even when DS was an infant. Its easy to clean, fits well in both my husbands car and my SUV and its super comfy.

For strollers we have 3- SOOOO happy we splurged on the bugaboo. We got the bugaboo Fox and it is AMAZING. It is our primary stroller and we use it like crazy. So easy to steer, fits through doorways easily, has an adjustable handlebar so its great for short or tall people (not hunching if you are particularly tall) and can have the seat facing forward or backward and at various inclines.  We have a travel stroller- the Babyzen Yoyo+. It fits in an overhead compartment so you dont risk the airlines destroying your nice stroller. It has a reasonable sized basket for a travel stroller and folds/unfolds easily. We also have the City Mini jogging stroller. I fucking hate it. Maybe its because I am spoiled by the ease of the bugaboo steering, but the City Mini I find stiff in its movements, requires 2 handed steering and I all around hate it. Hate. Hate. We basically never use it unless we are going to the pool and dont want our nicer strollers to get wet.

I am trying to decide if I need to get a double stroller or if I will just get the ride along for my bugaboo. Like, I will probably get some cheap double umbrella, but my kid is fiercely independent and hates being restrained for too long, so I dont know if its worth it to get a real double stroller.
  • Options
    @kiwi2628 we have the little bike seat that snaps onto the back of our bugaboo. It’s fantastic. Not sure how old your oldest is, but we have had ours for a couple years now and both my 6 and 4 year old still use it.
  • Options
    My advice: If you want simplicity, you can buy the Graco4ever convertible and call it a day!

I dislike strollers. It is possible not to own one. Babywearing can replace the stroller. The only thing I've ever needed a stroller for is jogging (it's not safe to jog with baby in the carrier), but if you plan to walk for exercise rather than jog/run I say skip the hassle.
  • Options
    DDRRT1982DDRRT1982 member
    edited August 2019
    We got the Uppa Baby Henry last time and will be using it again for this next baby.  I bought it primarily because it is not manufactured with flame retardants and obviously safety.  It is heavier than some, but easy to clean and held up really well.  

For convertible car seat I have a variety of them, but to reduce toxin exposure most recently I chose the clek fllo.  It is not the easiest to install, it’s really heavy, but the fabric is really nice and it’s narrow.  That is one thing I want to stress for those with multiple kids.  Check to see if you can fit all your car seats in your car.  For rows that will have multiple kids in them you definitely need to factor how wide your car seat is.  I will be buying this guy another clek unless another more appealing brand comes out with reduced/no flame retardants used.  

Stroller...I now have a bumbleride that I love, but it is not a jogging stroller.  It’s the easiest thing to push ever.  I also just got a Bob and it’s legit, but not as easy to push as the bumbleride.  I did get the bumbleride originally for environmental reasons second hand, but it really is the best stroller.  I would recommend it. For workout purposes I do see the appeal of the BOB and do like it.  
  • Options
    @therealbitts my son is 11 months old, and will be about 16 months when DD is born. However he is already walk and wants to be on the go, so I dont know how long he will actually be in the stroller without wanting to do his own thing

@craftywitch I dont always agree- my DS has hated every moment we have ever tried to have him babywear. I tried the Baby Bjorn. I tried the Tula. I tried the Ergo. I tried the baby ktan. I tried so many different positions and he can only stand it for about 3 minutes before he is screeching to escape. Its super baby dependent. We would never survive without a stroller.
  • Options
    @kiwi2628 I think it also depends where you live. For instance, I enjoy walking to the grocery store when it's nice out and we don't have more groceries to buy than would fit in our stroller cargo space. I could not do that with a carrier unless I was buying one bag, since the 3/4 mile trek home would be not really enjoyable. 

I am planning on getting a backpack diaper bag this time to make using a carrier easier. We have a messenger style one and a giant hulk one from cloth diaper time but it's one of the things I plan on splurging on this time around since we frankly don't need much.

OH IDEA FOR NEXT PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT! :)
    Me: 38, DH: 36 
    Married Jan 2008 
    DD Baby Bells born Dec 2016 5 lbs, 12 oz, 18" <3 so in love <3
    Due with #2 Baby Arya EDD February 2020

• Options
    @leksiL backpack diaper bag is the beeeeeest
  • Options
    This is so difficult!

I really like the Nuna Mixx stroller but if you get it as a travel system, it is $900. Do I really want to spend that much? Is it worth it?
    I also like the Baby Jogger brand because they have infant seat adapters for almost every brand sold int he US. 
    And the most reasonable choice would be to get the Chicco travel system for under $400.
    TTC#1
    10/2018: MFI (2 SA under 9 million/ml)
    11/2018: HSG shows right Fallopian tube slightly damaged 
    1/2019: Husband diagnosed with grade 3 varicocele
    4/05/2019: varicocele repair surgery
    6/13/2019: BFP!!! EDD: 2/22/2020 <3  Baby girl born 2/27/2020
    7/18/2019: Total Motile Count at 3 months post surgery = 51 millions!! (number must be >20 millions to conceive naturally).

TTC #2
    9/07/2021: BFP - CP: 9/10/2021
    10/07/2021: BFP - CP: 10/23/2021
    12/23/2021: BFP! EDD: 08/31/2022

• Options
    @rikiteacup I’m definitely going for the Chicco Keyfit 30 car seat but after you mentioning reviews on a squeaky wheel I am so torn on a stroller haha. Babylist did highly recommend that car seat so I think we are definitely going for that. But I’m so curious about a stroller that will compliment it well! 
    TW
    BFP 6/3/19 EDD 2/14/20 BFP 4/15/21 EDD 12/20/21
    Diagnosed with PCOS & Hashimoto's
  • Options
    For those of you with the Chicco Keyfit car seat, do you know if it’s easily placed in and removed from the car with one hand? I see a lot of car seats on the market that have several latches or buttons to push simultaneously to get them in and out of the base. But long story short, my husband and I need to be able to get the car seat out of the base easily, one handed. 
  • Options
    @taylor2020 it takes me two hands to get mine out but there’s only one button to push. Basically, my left hand holds the top handle of the car seat and my right hand clicks the orange button at the back of the seat to remove it. Does that make sense? 
  • Options
    @therealbitts that makes sense, thank you! I think that would work for us. In your opinion, is the car seat on the heavier side? I know car seats can vary in weight and we’re trying to take that into consideration too. 
  • Options
    @taylor2020 I would not say it is overly heavy by itself, but haven’t compared recently to other brands. I will say that those infant seats feel incredibly heavy when a baby is in them and you’re trying to carry them around in it. Would definitely recommend investing in a stroller that had the accessory to just click them in if you don’t want to take them out of the infant seat. 
  • Options
    @therealbitts that makes sense, thanks! I think we’re gonna do the Chicco Keyfit with the matching caddie. That’ll help for the first few months when they’re in the car seat, and then when they’re a little older we’re going to get a nicer stroller for our and about. 
  • Options
    @brookert615 this website is super helpful. https://babygearessentials.com/car-seat-stroller-compatibility-guide/#chicco-keyfit-30-stroller-combo

I would love to get the Nuna Mixx stroller but it means I have to get a Nuna carseat if I want to use the infant seat with the stroller.
    The Keyfit has excellent ratings and is affordable. Bases are also under $100. Any Nuna carseat is $300+ and bases are $150+ each. We will need an extra one for sure. So that would be $450 for a Nuna infant seat and an extra base + $450 for their Nuna Mixx on sale right now. $900 total.
    I am starting to look at the Baby Jogger brand because they have a large choice of strollers and you can fit any brand infant seat with their strollers. 

TTC#1
    7/18/2019: Total Motile Count at 3 months post surgery = 51 millions!! (number must be >20 millions to conceive naturally).

TTC #2

• Options
    Late to the party (as usual), but we bought the UppaBaby Mesa car seat and the coordinating UppaBaby Vista stroller for our first so we’ll be using the same system with #2. I know others have mentioned not using their full system, but we used the bassinet when DD was a newborn, the car seat, and now the standard stroller seat. We’ll be buying the adapter to convert it into a double stroller. 

We bought one car seat and multiple bases so we wouldn’t have the added expense of multiple caraways. It was economical BUT it meant we had to lug the car seat around a bit. 

We also ended up buying a mountain buggy travel stroller which I love. It’s lightweight and compact enough to store in the overhead bin on airplanes, but still feels sturdy enough with the kiddo in it. 
  • Options
    @jvk2012 thank you so much, very helpful :)
  • Options
    rikiteacuprikiteacup member
    edited September 2019
    Found an interesting stroller thanks to an ad on FB. It sounds very interesting. It’s the Mockingbird stroller. It is only available online on their website so don’t look for it in stores. They only have 1 stroller for now but it is considered a luxury one. Reviews online compare it to the Uppababy vista. 
    Anyway, it retails for $350 and if you buy the ring adapter for an extra $50 $30, it becomes compatible with most infant car seats (Chicco, Graco, Britax, Nuna....). 
    I’ve been looking at all the reviews on YouTube and now it’s on my list of strollers to strongly consider. Ah! So many choices. 
    TTC#1

TTC #2

• Options
    We used a britax b safe with my 1st and then used an uppa baby Mesa with our 2nd. I like the UB much better. I got an uppa baby stroller when we had our second and the britax wasn’t compatible at all. 
    Definitely get an infant seat. 
    We have britax click tight marathon convertibles and Chicco next fit. I personally like the Chicco next fit better. If I had to get a new infant car seat, I would go with the Chicco key fit. 
    On another note, I just had the hardest freaking time fitting 3 car seats across in a 4Runner. I did it, but it took like 5 tries, an hour, and lots of sweat. They should tell you to think about that if you plan on having 3 kids lol. 2 Chicco my fits and an uppa baby Mesa if you need that combo. 

Strollers—we have a single bob, a double bob, an UB vista, and an UB single umbrella stroller. Once out of the infant stage, we use the UB vista the least. 
  • Options
    oh, and I highly recommend joining the FB group “car seats for the littles” if you need any car seat advice or need help with installation! they were so helpful with getting 3 across in the 4Runner 
  • Options
    Ok, and one more thing. Target is having their car seat recycle program 9/3-9/13. You get a 20% off coupon to use and if you have a red card an additional 5% off. I’ve seen people ask in BST groups if anyone has expired car seats to give away to use that as a trade in.