April 2020 Moms

17p Injections

Hi everyone! I am 8w3d with my third baby. My second was born at 35w3d and my doctor wants me to consider taking 17p injections once a week until 36 weeks. Has anyone had any experience with this? From what I understand, the only side effects is possible irritation at the injection site and I’ve read it might make you more emotional. Did anyone find this to be accurate? Did anyone take the injections and still go into preterm labor? I wanted to hear from some moms who have gone through this before making my decision :) I have no idea what to expect this time around — I was induced a week late with my first and my second was a preemie! I pretty much have to be ready for anything haha!

Re: 17p Injections

• I have no personal experience with this, but I’ve known 2 women who did them after multiple pre-term births. Both of those women made it to 37 weeks with the injections after previous births at 30-34 weeks. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Me 34 DH 34 
    PCOS

DS1 born September 2017
    Baby number 2 due 4/11/20
  • Sorry what’s a 17p injection ? 
  • Loading the player...
  • It is a weekly injection of progesterone that’s given to women who have had previous pre-term labor/birth experiences. They are taken once a week between 16w and 36w in hopes that you will make it full term. 
  • @ssanderson22 I took them with my last pregnancy starting at 16 weeks since my first baby was born at 34w3d. My daughter (last pregnancy) held out slightly longer on the injections until 35w5d and I will be taking them again this pregnancy. I didnt seem to have any increase in symptoms. I give them to myself since I am a nurse so it doesn't bother me but I know my OB said for those that would rather someone else do it, I could've either made nurse visits at their office or had home health come to my home weekly. I did get little 
  • I was on P17 shots from 16-36 weeks with my daughter 9 years ago and will do the same this time too
  • I was on the injections with my youngest. Before my youngest, I lost a pregnancy at 20 weeks due to an incompetent cervix. I did not have this issue with my oldest, which is just strange. Anyways, I had to have a cerclage put in at 18 weeks and then started the injections through 36 weeks. I stopped the injections and had the cerclage removed the same day and my OB thought for sure I would go into labor right away. Nope, I actually went a week past my due date.

I did not have side effects with the injections. I would just recommend rubbing the area after the injection as it will help spread the serum. If you don't rub it, it can stay at the injection site and cause some irritation and burning. Other than that, you should be fine.