November 2019 Moms
Options

July Randoms

Re: July Randoms

• Options
    @Dancer688 I had a large group of mom friends in Houston I left behind. It is so hard because we had someone to do something with anytime of the week. I met all those ladies at MOPs. 
  • Options
    I feel like I've had a really tough time making new friends, mom or otherwise, since we moved further north prior to DS's birth. Most of my original friend group is further south, and they also do not have kids yet, only one does and one other is pregnant right now also, so that makes it tough because a lot of times the plans are far from me and not kid friendly. Maybe once DS gets into activities more I'll be able to meet people, IDK. 

Happy Monday guys.. hope everyone had a good weekend. Mine was okay, did some sorting of DS's old baby clothes to see what we have, my mom came over and brought me dinner, and I got some work done, so I can't complain. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @creamcheeseplease I’m with you on having a hard time making new friends. We moved 2.5 yrs ago and the only people I know I’m our town are DHs old coworkers that we still hang out with. One couple has two kids but they’re not babies anymore. I really want to find a network of new moms.
  • Options
    We ran some errands Saturday and then pretty much stayed in until the evening yesterday because it's been so hot. Still having the heart flutters, but now it's down to a few dozen times a day instead of dozens of times an hour. Trying to take it easy but they get so much worse at night before bed and especially laying down. My AS is tomorrow and I'll get to talk to the OB about it and maybe can get a cardiologist appt sooner than what the other hospital gave me 🤞

@creamcheeseplease I have trouble making mom friends. There's plenty that I'm friendly with but we don't get together. It's very cliquey here where I live and with my son I was in a whole other generation than a lot of these parents. Even now, I don't have any friends having babies or even close to settling down. So many I purposely avoid because they are just full of drama and are pretty atrocious parents lol As long as my son has friends I don't really care, you'll definitely be exposed to more opportunities to meet parents by signing him up for things

• Options
    So far, not that impressed with Prime day. Anyone see anything good?
  • Options
    @creamcheeseplease - I bought a baby monitor and a kids kindle for my second born.  We are going on a long flight in September so I think she is due for her own kindle for that trip so we don't have to share on the plane.

It was $50 off!
  • Options
    @Dancer688 I had no idea there was such a thing as a kids kindle! I will definitely be researching that.. while we don't have any super long trips coming up, I really would like to get out to see my in laws sometime in 2020 and that is about a 5 hour flight. 
  • Options
    @Dancer688 @creamcheeseplease love love love the kids kindle!! So easy to manage screen time and everything is age appropriate or can be changed to meet those needs. TONS of books too and you can download shows and movies to be watched off line. Highly recommend 
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    I got some car seats. One infant seat for this baby and a convertible for DS2. The Joovy  double stroller is a steal right now. Just FYI.

edit: my phone doesn’t want me to spell things today. 😒 
  • Options
    There is apparently some big BBQ here today at work. I didn't really know about it because I'm on a contract/not a permanent employee, and they like to try to keep us in the dark about these events. I'm just laughing because it looks absolutely ridiculous - first off it looks like its going to pour here today, there are a ton of lawn games and speakers that are already blasting music. There is probably 50k worth of rented equipment outside. Since I do the budget for operations, I am sure I'll see this in July's charges and I can't wait to see how much it cost. I'm not into events like this anyway, but come on. Also, the theme of the BBQ is "get saucy" which I think is a little gross/inappropriate sounding. 
  • Options
    BNBTBNBT member
    @creamcheeseplease I just lol'd at the "get saucy" theme. I'd never expect that at a work BBQ   :D 
  • Options
    @creamcheeseplease - It's definitely "cheeky" haha - what kind of company do you work for? 
  • Options
    @Dancer688 its a large scientific/technical research company. 
  • Options
    @creamcheeseplease haha.. get saucy is cringey! At least you can chuckle about it and maybe have an empty office? Lol 
  • Options
    I finally got my facial and massage yesterday. It was AMAZING! The massage therapist did a great job. I already made another appointment with her. 

Plus, after a full week of solo parenting DH is home. It has been a long week! 
  • Options
    @creamcheeseplease - If stereotypes are correct, is everyone so smart they are awkward?  Because when I was at my accounting firm the stereotype of shy introverts was definitely true (especially of us tax folk)
  • Options
    mc0303mc0303 member
    @emeraldcity1214 that sounds glorious!! I typically am not wild about massages but have been wanting one really badly. I'm going to take after you and book myself a facial/massage!

AFM, I'm taking off 3 days from work starting today during the busiest time I've ever had...buttttt I get to spend it with my sister and nephews who flew in from the East Coast. When I look back next year, I actually want to have fun happy memories of being with my fam rather than memories of staying late at work and being unappreciated 

• Options
    @mc0303 It is always better to choose time with family than working late! Have fun! 
  • Options
    haha yeah @Dancer688 there is a lot of awkwardness around. Not everyone but.. many. There are a lot of cultural differences too since there are a lot of international employees and sometimes that contributes. 
  • Options
    My kid threw up for the first time in her car seat. 30 minutes in to our 7ish hour drive home from vacation. And we had just stopped to go to the bathroom. She said her stomach hurt but I thought she either didnt like the buckle on her carseat or she had to poop. So i got her apple juice. About 5 minutes later profuse vomitting. Which I ended up catching a lot with my arms to try to keep it contained. She has been a wonderful trooper and didnt throw up again so I think she is fine. Still an hour from home and I dont think Im ever going to get the vomit smell off me. AND, I usually unzip the cover for her Chicco carseat from my car as our back up on trips. But Ive never had to use it and she has literally never had any kind of accidents in either car except one time peeing a little while in the driveway when I couldnt get her out of her seat fast enough. So I decided I was safe leaving the back up home. She taught me a firm lesson today.  Safe is never safe! New moms, listen to me, ALWAYS HAVE BACK UP STUFF! Diapers, wipes, clothes, clean up stuff. 
  • Options
    @purplefan1 - OH NOOOOOOO! I hope it was a freak thing and not something that repeats.  And I'll second that advice. Always have back-ups...have back-ups for back-ups.  Especially while traveling.  I am definitely guilty of tossing onesies that are too far gone to save.  
  • Options
     @purplefan1 the best lessons are learned in the hardest ways! Hope it was a one time thing. Similar thing happened to us and we had no spare clothes, no shopping bags for the mess.. it was just a day trip and we brought no extras. My husband is desperately sensitive to vomit and I hate to admit it but we had to leave my son's clothes on the highway so he wouldn't throw up from the smell too. Not our finest moment but now we bring spare change of of clothes,bags, and towels if we won't be near home.

@emeraldcity1214 sweet family! Beautiful scenery! Hikes are great bonding time
  • Options
    Luckily we were driving in a truck with a bed topper so most of the nasty stuff could ride back there. I earned some hard mom credit when we got home about 7 hours later and I got the car seat cleaned and prewashed all of the throw up stuff before putting it in the washer. I had to go to a hardcore happy place because even not pregnant I have a fierce sense of smell. Luckily too since we were coming back from vacation we had plenty of clothes and bags and stuff. Just not a back up car seat or anything to really clean the seat up totally. But she only  threw up the once and was happy as can be the rest of the trip. And she handled the puking well. She said "oh no. I puked on my tablet. Oh no, I puked on your arms! Oh no, I puked on MY arms!" She has only thrown up one other time in her life and she quickly learned the benefit of a puke bucket that time. So she kept trying out a bucket we had on the way home "just in case"

• Options
    @purplefan1 awww she sounds sweet 🖤 and damn I'm proud of you 💪💪
  • Options
    BNBTBNBT member
    @purplefan1 oh no! That sounds terrible, I've been lucky that that's never happened to us. And that reminds me to make sure I keep taking backups because I've definitely gotten lazy on that!

@emeraldcity1214 those are gorgeous photos! I'm not much of a hiker when I'm not pregnant, so I'm super impressed you did this!
  • Options
    @mc0303 definitely choose taking off for family over work!! Have fun!

@purplefan1 oh no, your poor DD! I hope she's feeling better.

@emeraldcity1214 beautiful picture! I'm glad you enjoyed your hike. Good to get it while you can since I imagine you'll be stuck inside a lot once it gets cold. 

• Options
    @creamcheeseplease exactly! I am assuming the winter will be hard, especially our first one. Little to no light and really cold. No one wants to go anywhere with it like that. Today we are keeping it low key and I plan to turn the sprinklers on and let them play in them once they all wake from their nap. Gotta take advantage of a day that is 78 degrees. 
  • Options
    I seriously don’t know how people who live in places with temps regularly 100+ do it. I am completely wiped out and I was not outside for too long at all. 
  • Options
    blg116blg116 member
    @creamcheeseplease supposedly we get "acclimated" to the heat... Mostly we just complain about how hot it is and hide out inside if we can 😂
  • Options
    Sounds like everyone's just trying to live through this heatwave!

I have taken to online shopping, which my husband has since told me to cut back on until the shower (curse his sense of reason!). However, this means I'm all over consignment pages and buy-sells looking for deals, haha. 

I just found a dresser, glider, book shelf, and change table with a hutch for $50! I'm going to paint everything white and throw some new knobs on it and possibly re-cover the chair (it's a dark green corduroy, so I don't hate it..).
  • Options
    @alaluap good finds!!  I’ve been shopping too much this weekend too!  I joined a bst group on Facebook last week for rylee and cru, on, H&M, etc., and the stuff is too cute to pass up.  My sister gave me all of the clothes up to 12m that she saved from my nieces so I went through those and decided what I’ll use and what will be the right seasons,  and now feel like I can finally shop a bit to fill in the gaps.  Now I need to go through my son’s clothes and figure out what can be used for a girl, but I’m certainly not climbing up in the attic on today’s heat 😅. 

It’s almost 11am and we’ve already run out of inside activities to occupy my son-send help!  
  • Options
    I have spent a ton on Amazon. I keep buying stuff to help me organize the things I’m unpacking. Plus, I’m about to buy a craft storage cabinet for all my crafting supplies. I bought 2 new car seats on prime day and even got some things for the kids to make music with for music class this year. DH hasn’t told me to stop yet but I know there is a limit somewhere. 

I need a new crib and dresser too and 2 more gliders (one for the nursery and 1 for the living room). I like to sit in front of the TV and binge shows when I’m in nursing jail. 😂

he he did ask me to wait on the furniture for the nursery until after we get back from Hawaii. I’m nesting hardcore on everything except baby stuff. I spent half an hour cleaning our high chair. Not for the new baby but because it had milk stains on it from the kids spilling all their milk. 🤷🏻‍♀️
  • Options
    cl4157cl4157 member
    @emeraldcity1214 yes Hawaii! It just doesn’t get better than that. What’s the flight time from AK? Hopefully you won’t be to crazy after. 

Im the same with the pregnancy induced house mania. Really got a lot on prime day... most baby, some me 🤷‍♀️. Then decided our library wasn’t baby friendly and that’s where we’d be spending a lot of time (our living room is a weird shape) so I decided I needed a new wall unit bookcase. Oh...but that’s not all! That led to “needing” a new rug for in there and the living room which led me to pottery barn outlet on Friday where I CLEANED.UP. Then rearranged most of the downstairs furniture to accommodate the new stuff. 
    The new rugs look great but now I’ve decided the couch from our bedroom will go downstairs & I’ll get a new couch upstairs. 
    Oh ya! Then, I painted the nursery with all my extra energy. 
    I don’t know where it came from. It’s been like a 7 day high/baby-house mania. So so so strange. 
  • Options
    @cl4157 I’m so glad I’m not the only 1 going crazy buying stuff for the house. Plus, FB wants all my money because the ads are geared toward all the things I have been searching. 

The flight time is 5 or 6 hours I think. But it is 1 flight and I think they are considerably cheaper when you fly from AK on Alaska airlines. Tons of people from AK vacation in Hawaii all the time. 
  • Options
    Ok you are all making me feel better about the amount of baby related stuff I've purchased in the last month! We have most of the baby gear from our son and its still in good condition. I've gone a little crazy on girl clothes because I found great deals and the girls section is so dang adorable 😍
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    cl4157cl4157 member
    @gumby22c no shame ever! Such a slippery slope though once you start buying “stuff”. My gateway to the nonsense purchases was once I bought the stroller. After that it was full on shopping storm. 
  • Options
    Guys, I have only bought 2 sets of onesies. My last boy, who happened to be a November baby, had pyloric stenosis and vomited all over his clothes and ruined everything. So I am basically starting over with clothes. I can’t seem to find anything with long sleeves right now. 
  • Options
    mc0303mc0303 member
    @emeraldcity1214 if it helps you feel any better...I haven't bought ANY onesies at all! I haven't seen anything with long sleeves in stores...but I did see some online.