October 2019 Moms

Glucose Screening

13»

Re: Glucose Screening

• Have any TTM taken their glucose test at 29 weeks or later? I’m scheduled for next week (28 weeks), however our insurance changes on/around the 17th. My husband’s company was bought by a new company and there are a lot of changes still taking place. We won’t have new cards or even temporarily cards until closer to the end of my 29th week. So basically we’re in a weirdo limbo period. If we went with our old insurance it would be a pain in the ass to figure out the reimbursement and all that. 

When I mentioned it to my midwife a few weeks ago she kinda made a face and was like “I really don’t want you to go past 28 weeks”.  My husband on the other hand (who thinks he is a Dr 🙄) thinks it’s no big deal and that I’m overreacting if it happens to go past 28 weeks. Thoughts? 
  • jal88144 said:
    Have any TTM taken their glucose test at 29 weeks or later? I’m scheduled for next week (28 weeks), however our insurance changes on/around the 17th. My husband’s company was bought by a new company and there are a lot of changes still taking place. We won’t have new cards or even temporarily cards until closer to the end of my 29th week. So basically we’re in a weirdo limbo period. If we went with our old insurance it would be a pain in the ass to figure out the reimbursement and all that. 

When I mentioned it to my midwife a few weeks ago she kinda made a face and was like “I really don’t want you to go past 28 weeks”.  My husband on the other hand (who thinks he is a Dr 🙄) thinks it’s no big deal and that I’m overreacting if it happens to go past 28 weeks. Thoughts? 
    Can you just mail or take the new insurance card in after you get it? Our hospital allows that, they still send you the bill but when you get the new cards/policy, they let you bring it in then bill it. 

• Loading the player...
  • @sammygirl18 I'm sorry about the diagnosis. I hope you get to learn a lot from the dietitian class. Good luck!
    Me: 41 / Fiance: 35 +  One DS, one dog & two kitties...
    First BFP: 1/17/16 = EDD 9/21/16 (MMC)
    Second BFP: 6/24/16 (CP)
    Third BFP: 2/7/17 = EDD 10/20/17 🌈 *** BORN 10/23 *** 🌈
    Fourth BFP : 2/5/19 = EDD 10/14/19
         BabyGaga
  • cmbt2cmbt2 member
    jal88144 said:
    Have any TTM taken their glucose test at 29 weeks or later? I’m scheduled for next week (28 weeks), however our insurance changes on/around the 17th. My husband’s company was bought by a new company and there are a lot of changes still taking place. We won’t have new cards or even temporarily cards until closer to the end of my 29th week. So basically we’re in a weirdo limbo period. If we went with our old insurance it would be a pain in the ass to figure out the reimbursement and all that. 

I think I did it mid 28th week with DS2 due to appointment timing. If I remember correctly, the placenta doesn’t really begin to interfere with sugar levels until 24/26w, which is why they want the tests done at the 28w mark. Let’s face it, most moms who take the 1-hour at 28w and fail aren’t getting in for the 3 hour until somewhere in the 29w mark
    BFP #1 3/07, EDD 11/12/07, MMC 5/7/07
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
    BFP #2 5/4/14, EDD 1/15/15, DS1 1/19/15
    BFP #3 8/19/16, EDD 4/30/17, DS2 4/25/17
    BFP #4 12/22/18, EDD 9/6/19 - CP 12/29/18
    BFP #5 1/18/19, EDD 10/3/19, It’s a Girl!
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
    High Risk Dx (6/14):  Homozygous MTHFR C677T, protein C & S deficiencies
  • @sammygirl18 I had GDM with DS. Mine was well controlled with just diet so I never had to do any pills or shots. Hopefully since it was just the one for you it won't end up being a big deal. 
    Me: 35 DH: 47

HX
    DSS: 20
    DSD: 17
    DS: 4(Nov'14)
    MMC:8/17
    MMC: 1/18
    BFP: 2/7/19 EDD:10/16/19

Tickers
    BabyGaga
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker

• @cmbt2 true! Good point, didn’t think of that 
  • I've always taken the 1 hr right at 24 or 26 weeks. 24 for DS and this baby, 26 with DD because we'd literally just found out two weeks prior we were even pregnant. But I've never had to take a later one either. So idk if that's any help lol

• melanier26melanier26 member
    edited July 2019
    I got to the lab for my test this morning and realized I couldn’t find my script 😩 I was so mad at myself, then annoyed with the doctor’s office bc they took 45 mins to call me back about faxing it over.

ETA moral of the story, make sure you have your script before you go 🙃 I treated myself to some McDonald’s after!
  • Went for my test this AM. 

Downed the drink fine, maybe a little heartburn but nothing bad. 
    I got the lime flavor which was new for me. 

Went to have my draw at 1 hr and almost passed out...then vomited. 

I'm classified as a hard stick so I know it's always gonna be a few sticks before they get anything. 

She stuck me once and no dice. She was about to try my hand and then I had to have her stop. 

I'm so pissed I have to do this again. 

OB said I could go to the hospital (which is closer to my house) and do the test over....but do I want to chance them having a better phlebotomist there and do the drink again?
    Or ask for alternative testing for this?

I don't know what to do...
    TTC #1 6/2011
    BFP #1 10/2012
    DS#1 born 6/2013

TTC#2 12/2013
    BFP#2 2/2019
    TWINS Baby Girl due October 20th, 2019.
       BabyGaga

• @nachellebeck13 My guess would be the hospital phlebotomists would be more skilled. They draw blood all day long! But I also don't know what alternative options there are other than having your blood drawn. Sorry you had to go through that. Sounds awful!
    *TW in Spoiler*BabyFetus Ticker

Me 39 - DH 41

Married 8/26/07

TTGP #1 Jan '15 - 

BFP 9/11/15 - DS born 5/31/16

TTGP #2 July '17 -

CP July '17

Blighted Ovum MC Dec '17

CP June '18

BFP 1/30/19 - EDD 10/13/19

• Great point @andromedacorrine2! @jal88144 I would get the test done, but not go through old insurance. And when you get the new cards call billing and give them the info so they can bill your insurance. If you get a bill and still think it may be a while before your cards come in, then I would call billing and let them know so they can make a note on your account. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Me (32) DH (34) | |
    BFP #1 4/5/12 | Natural m/c on 4/18/12 (6w1d)
    BFP #2 8/23/12 | DS born 5/3/13
    BFP #3 12/6/15 | DD born 8/23/16
    BFP #4 2/22/19 | EDD 10/28/19
  • Counting down to the blood draw now. Definitely feeling yucky though the drink wasn't that hard to get down. But trying to bump right now is making me feel like I'm trying to read in the car. Definitely an odd side effect for me.
    Me: 41 / Fiance: 35 +  One DS, one dog & two kitties...
    First BFP: 1/17/16 = EDD 9/21/16 (MMC)
    Second BFP: 6/24/16 (CP)
    Third BFP: 2/7/17 = EDD 10/20/17 🌈 *** BORN 10/23 *** 🌈
    Fourth BFP : 2/5/19 = EDD 10/14/19
         BabyGaga
  • I picked up my drink today for my appointment in a few days lol not looking forward to it!
  • Took my test last Wednesday and got the results today. I passed but also had a low RBC and H&H
  • mommabear2692mommabear2692 member
    edited August 2019
    I got my testing done and opted for the longer  oneso if anything were to come of it I would t have to go do it again. I do not have GD and I. So excited because all this baby has been craving for the last month and a bit aredonuts and peanut butter M&M's! 
    I also really enjoyed the drink. It reminded me of orange pop McDonalds used to have when I was a kid 🥰
  • andrawrmeda2andrawrmeda2 member
    edited August 2019
    @mommabear2692 my friend says the same thing, except she dislikes orange pop😂