January 2020 Moms

NIPT Results and Discussions

Re: NIPT Results and Discussions

• @Xstatic3333 I did both with DD, too. Seemed to be the norm at the time, although I think that recommendation had come from my RE before I got released to my OB. 
  • Glad I'm not the only one doing both! Of the two it's the NIPT that I'm most nervous about but also feel is most important. I wouldn't have asked for an NT but I don't really mind doing it either. Always nice to see the baby again. My MW said it could detect spina bifida, which I know the NIPT does not look for, so I'm assuming that's the reason.
  • Loading the player...
  • they just offered both to me it's the standard I think here? (Canada) since its covered. 
  • I got an NT scan and got sent back to my doctor for her to give me the paperwork for a blood draw (because it has to be done within 24hrs of the ultrasound). First, my doctor said she never heard of such a thing and had to call the ultrasound place to learn about it. Then, she gave me the paperwork but she called it an ips test. Is that the same thing? Either way, I did it and I am not now waiting for my results.
  • NT scan and blood results came back all good! We’re waiting to find out the gender and it’s crazy to me it’s just sitting in a report on our patient portal. 

Thinking of all you while you wait on results!
  • Great news, @DalexRN !! Let us know how the gender reveal goes!
  • @kbrown2385 - Can they tell you gender at all? How does that work with twins?
  • marebear15marebear15 member
    edited July 2019
    @kbrown2385 - I guess that makes sense. So either BB or BG twins :) I hope it's BG!
  • @kbrown2385

How exciting! I'm so happy for you.
  • @marebear15 I have a feeling it’s BG. 
  • I don't know what to believe either! but I'm so happy for you @kbrown2385! My doctor didn't even have me do NIPT since I've known it was twins for a while but who knows. I did a blood sample for the Nuchal next week so we will see what comes of that 
  • @amb0924 the nurse told me we would have had to have a scan to confirm two babies prior to bloodwork so they could have put that in the paperwork. I feel like if there was any abnormalities with either, something would have popped on the results. It could just be me being hopeful though lol. It will probably be too late by my next appt to do the Nuchal scans so o guess it is what it is at this point. 
  • @kbrown2385 I agree, I think if either of them had anything something would've come up. I hope it's BG! Although it could be fun to be an all boy mom too 😊
  • @peppyj9 great news! Such a huge sigh of relief! 
  • @c1kc1kpol1cn1k @stashattack so glad you both got good results! 
  • @c1kc1kpol1cn1k @stashattack so happy for you both! Such a relief! 😊
  • Happy to read about so many healthy babies! I got my results in today that my baby is healthy/ low risk of everything. However, I did find it weird that they couldn’t get any info on the possibility of any extra sex chromosomes. The odds are still very very low, but for whatever reason that info is inconclusive! Anyone else experience that?
  • @blackcat01 congratulations!! 😊 I was told that my test didn't test for the sex chromosomes. I was like "but it was in the pamphlet?" And she said that that's a more intensive test and mine just tested for the main trisomys and monosomys. So, did your test actually test for those ones?
  • @peppyj9 Yes, it was supposed to test for any extra sex chromosomes as well. The lady told me that sometimes it happens where they just can’t pull a result. It doesn’t mean anything bad, they just can’t confirm whether there is or isn’t any extra. The risk is so low anyway and she said not to worry about it, but I just found it interesting that I happened to be someone they couldn’t get the info on.
  • @blackcat01 oh, weird. I'm sure they would let you know if it was something to be concerned about, but not sure why it would be inconclusive. Like what does that even mean? You either saw an extra chromosome or you didn't! Lol, but I'm not even close to a scientist so I have no clue how it actually works 😅 I actually did research on all the "syndromes" listed in the pamphlet and the sex ones were the least life altering, a couple that were virtually undetectable, so I was like "if my baby has anything, let it be one of those" obviously don't want anything, but you know what I mean. Anyway, overall sounds like your baby is perfect 😊
  • @noranorabobora yay for a healthy baby!! 😁🎉 congratulations! ❤ as for the gender, personally I would find out anyway and not tell him, or just tell him "tough cookies" and promise not to reveal the gender to him. I mean, it's their baby too and they get a say in quite a bit (I had to hold out on announcing until 2nd tri out of respect for my husband and his worry and he's just a private person in general even though I was ready to shout it from the rooftops despite the risk) but I'll be damned if someone tries to keep me in suspense when I don't want to be! I think the hardest part would be having to keep it secret from him so even though you know, you can't start buying gender specific things, but you can still browse! Here I am telling you to ignore your husband's wishes lol, but seriously, you're growing that baby! You deserve to know if you want to!
  • @peppyj9 nah she just has to pull a Sukie from GG and buy all the gendered stuff and hide it in a shed LOL!!! And he needs the buttons that Jackson made about not wanting to find out the sex of the baby. 
    PG #1: 36w5d 12/25/19
    PG #2: EDD 8/15/23 Miscarried 9w1d 1/11/23
    PG #3: EDD 12/15/23
  • @stashattack lol, yes! Even better idea! 
    @noranorabobora just watch Gilmore Girls and follow Sukie's lead 😂
  • @noranorabobora Congrats!! I’m not sure how to go about handling that, but I know I would definitely want to know. I would just have to wear him down lol

@peppyj9 I’m not exactly sure how it all works, but all I was told is that sometimes they just aren’t able to pull or find the info? Not exactly sure what that means other than they just don’t have an answer. It’s not a bad thing and doesn’t means there’s a problem, they just can’t rule it out. But, the risks are so low and I was told not to worry about anything. So I’m not going to worry! Although, confirmation is always nice lol
  • @peppyj9 Oh, forgot to add that yes, she did say that those are the least life altering of them all. I’m just glad to be cleared from the major ones and I seriously doubt there’s an issue with the sex chromosomes!