December 2019 Moms

The name thread!

Re: The name thread!

• Would you associate the name Carlen/Carlin with male or female? 
    Boy,  but that's just me.
  • @CapricaAndrea I think of a girl when I hear the name Carlin.
  • Loading the player...
  • @CapricaAndrea I associate it with a boy.
  • @CapricaAndrea I think it sounds a bit masculine, but it could go either way !
  • @CapricaAndrea - I think they could go either way but I read Carlen as more feminine and Carlin as more masculine. 

@bookworm492 love the name Audrey!

I really like Iris and Irvine (it's a family name) and possibly both together in some combination
  • Carlin seems more male then the  other spelling 
  • Now we really like Bellamy for a boy! 

Still June Elizabeth girl

And first two sons are Hunter and Ryland 
  • @bookworm492 I thought exactly the same thing!
    @CapricaAndrea I think it's more feminine with the Carlen spelling.
  • Thanks for the feedback ladies! I’m thinking Carlin for a boy right now, but I haven’t run the idea past my husband yet. (And I think the George Carlin connection might help my case!) 
  • @bakerstreetboys
     omg!!! nooooooo lol! Finn is so cute though, thats my fav out of yours!
  • Everleigh Charlotte Layne Smith for a girl...

Still thinking about boy names but I like Greyson 
  • @bakerstreetboys - I don't think of a dog at all when i hear the name Finn. I think it's a great choice 
  • @mrszoobear It's only because we know two dogs named Finn :)
  • @bakerstreetboys My H has some winner of names he is suggesting also. Pretty much this kid may not have a name until he actually gets here.

• I could use some positive affirmation. I was on a naming forum (on another site) and getting a lot of negative comments on using more than one middle name for baby girl. It is so frustrating because those sites are overrun with trolls. Only a small handful are actually pregnant and looking for their own child's name. Ugh. I guess I needed a good rant to people who are less judgy. 
  • @mrszoobear I have two middle names 😊 I loved it growing up bc not many other kids had two. If this baby is a boy he’ll have two middle names as well. My mom couldn’t decide so I ended up with both names after both great grandmothers. Many of the names on those forums aren’t my style at all but I don’t bash others for their choices. People are jerks. 
  • @mrszoobear I don’t know why people get so opinionated about what others are thinking about naming their babies. This is a big reason why we won’t be telling anyone the babies name until after they are born. That, and because we prefer to meet the little one and then make the final decision. Last time we got enough suggestions and input without people even knowing our list of names! And let me tell you it was a HUGE ordeal that Jean (family middle name but not mine)
    wasnt the automatic middle name...and it wasn’t even in the running. 

Ps I don’t see anything wrong with two middle names and I know plenty of people that have them! Do what you want to do at the end of the day it’s no one else’s business. 
  • cpk3535cpk3535 member
    edited June 2019
    @CapricaAndrea I kind of think girl, but I could see how it could be a masculine name, too! It’s a cool option!

We’re thinking Elliot for our girl- we going for Elli for a nickname, but we’d rather it not come from Eleanor (too 50s, like my name).  Our older daughter is Bailey, taken from the last name in “It’s A Wonderful Life”. Any other suggestions? 
  • @CapricaAndrea I have a close female friend named Carlyn (with a Y). I think the Y makes it more feminine...
  • @cpk3535 are we the same person 😂 Elliot was on my girl list and “It’s a Wonderful Life” is one of my all time favorite movies! Bailey and Elliot make a cute sibset for girls.
  • LM1007LM1007 member
    @cpk3535 I have a good friend whose daughters nickname is Elli, full name Elliana. Not sure if it's your style, but another option. 
  • @mrszoobear my husband’a family uses a lot of double middle names, and my brother gave all 3 of his kids two middle names.   so to me, it is pretty common.  My husband hates his though, it is his dad and grandfather’s name, which equals a famous actor, so he uses only one of them.
  • I was thinking of swinging the opposite way and not giving a middle name.  The baby's last name will be unique enough.  I am unsure if I will take my partner's last name.  We are discussing getting married around the 4th of July.
  • @cpk3535 In my June17 moms group there's a little girl named Elizabeth who goes by Ellie.  
  • cpk3535cpk3535 member
    edited June 2019
     @bookworm492 We went with the middle name Isla for our first born, more out of personal sentimental reasons (got married in HI) and because it's pretty.  I never really use it, we don't reprimand her with her full name like some people (just not my style), but I do like her full name!  My parents just phoned it in for the naming process, so I wanted to use mine and my DH's creativity with the naming game.  My mom said my first name came from a nurse at the hospital that night, and my middle name is just my mom's first name.  Eh...
  • Since we are now team pink we have chosen Sofia Isabel. DH wanted Sofia Del Carmen, which I love but I am wary with such a long name. It really isn't common where we live.
  • @CapricaAndrea my grandmother's middle name was Carlin. Her first name was Evelyn which is my DD's middle name.

Well now that we are team Blue I think we have settled on Luca Alexander. Alexander is DHs name and his father's name and I just don't want to have a Alexander the 3rd. Luca sounds more unique then Lucas or Luke which are really common names these days. My DDs name also starts with L so I think they will go good together. 
  • We haven't had any further discussion on names and I suspect we're just going to wait until delivery  :#
  • Would you use a name your cousin named her child?  She named her daughter after our grandfather.  
  • @holly321 Depends on how close you are to the cousin, and if she used it as a first or middle name and how you plan to use it. I don't think it really matters all that much though. I have 3 Mikes (Mike G, Mikey, and Mike), 3 Johns (John V, Johnny, and John G), and 2 Toms (Tommy and Tom G) in my family...and everyone seems to get along just fine, haha.
  • @holly321 my cousin and I (moms are sisters) have the same name but I’ve always gone by my middle. We’re both named after our grandmother.
  • @holly321 - totally depends on how often your kids would see each other. If it's only once or twice a year or even less, then I would say go for it. 

But if they are going to be around each other and hangout often, it might not be the best idea. Could get confusing or irritating for them.
  • edited June 2019
    @holly321 like k_mama, I also have a cousin who shares my name.  I'm 10 years older and we didnt see each other often growing up, so it was no big deal.  It's a pretty common name. We also have different last names.
    Especially if it is a meaningful family name, I'd say go for it.
  • Thanks ladies. I think I will bring it up with DH.  I should have added, my cousins daughter is 13ish, and while I do see my cousin from time to time, I don’t think my kids have been around her daughter. I think it has been about 7 years since I saw her.
  • My bonus kids are Lincoln and Quinn so it’s interesting to see both those names on people’s list- love them both. I also want to jump on the Finn bandwagon because I love that name, and definitely don’t think dog.

We are having a girl and my family has a 5 generation tradition of “b” names. So many names have been used which makes it so hard. We are currently planning on Blake, but at a total loss for middle names. All of our family names have been used so I’m open to
    suggestions for girl middle names that go with Blake.
  • @holly321 with your follow up comment I vote go for it. If y’all hung out all the time I could see that being tricky. But I think you’re golden!